Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
A year before his existing contract was due to expire. That was a vote of confidence.

I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't even think about firing him at all. He's got them all under his spell.
A vote of confidence would have been a new 3 year deal. Like Iraola and O'Neil signings new deals last season after a season in charge.

I don't think he has. I just think they're indecisive and not guaranteed to do a good job. INEOS don't have a good track record in football.

He certainly managed to put more than a few United fans under his spell last season though.

They've both already said he's staying though. They're just being tits because there's nothing else to report on.

There is nothing else for ITV to report on?

What is being suggested is that one of the things discussed in this meeting is whether we keep the man or not. It stands to reason that nothing has been briefed before the meeting has even finished.

I don't think he will go but nothing about journalists reporting right now indicates anything about a discussion that is currently taking place.

If they do decide to hang fire I'd love to know exactly what they base that decision on. All the metrics are shit and we are on a downward trajectory. To just assume it will be okay it time is colossally stupid and incredibly naive.

What a thread. People claiming the new structure is toothless, clueless and worse because they won't sack EtH today (at a regularly scheduled meeting) or that Ruud would be a good interim (wait what? A United legend, he did well for a little while in Holland? And came here to improve our strikers... oh right), or that fans are giving up on the club? Give up then if that's how you back the team Having supported United through relegation (and would again) not to mention some pretty dire seasons over the last 50 years, I'm amazed people think firing ten Hag a few games after giving him their backing following a review would seem anything other than clueless and reactionary. I don't want a reaction from SJR and co based on media mayhem and fan outrage, I want rational decisions based on a long-term plan. We are continually reminded that they have one. Maybe we'd all like to be personally informed what that is but it doesn't work like this. By all means be open to change, but do so with a clear eye on the right coach and the right coach after that if necessary given our new set up, not on who's there now or who's available. Yes we're in trough and I am as ftrustated as everyone else at the way we're playing and how EtH seems unable to explain what he's doing, but I think sacking now and appointing Tuchel when he apparently was not the best fit in June, or worse, Southgate or Ruud, would not suggest the plan has much thought put into it.
Berrada, the CEO wants to win the league by 2028. That's the long term plan. We're miles off that. ETH isn't winning the league with us. He should be gone.

What a thread. People claiming the new structure is toothless, clueless and worse because they won't sack EtH today (at a regularly scheduled meeting) or that Ruud would be a good interim (wait what? A United legend, he did well for a little while in Holland? And came here to improve our strikers... oh right), or that fans are giving up on the club? Give up then if that's how you back the team Having supported United through relegation (and would again) not to mention some pretty dire seasons over the last 50 years, I'm amazed people think firing ten Hag a few games after giving him their backing following a review would seem anything other than clueless and reactionary. I don't want a reaction from SJR and co based on media mayhem and fan outrage, I want rational decisions based on a long-term plan. We are continually reminded that they have one. Maybe we'd all like to be personally informed what that is but it doesn't work like this. By all means be open to change, but do so with a clear eye on the right coach and the right coach after that if necessary given our new set up, not on who's there now or who's available. Yes we're in trough and I am as ftrustated as everyone else at the way we're playing and how EtH seems unable to explain what he's doing, but I think sacking now and appointing Tuchel when he apparently was not the best fit in June, or worse, Southgate or Ruud, would not suggest the plan has much thought put into it.

Paragraphs should be part of the plan.

Yeah think he's staying, if he was going all the precogs and psychics would be leaking the results of the meeting yet to happen.

Has he been on a bender coming out with that shit?
Most managers are supportive of their colleagues. They don't like the sacking culture of sport. They all need time and support, in their minds.

Plus, I doubt Moyes wants to be seen as bitter or negative.

Exercised a 1 year option. Not really a new contract.
Yeah fair enough but there was a massive deal made that he was staying on and that he was the man to lead us forward.

Sacking him seven league games later wouldn't be a good look for them - even if I, and many, many others, believe the situation is beyond repair.

It will be interesting to see how much has actually changed under our so-called new leadership as hanging onto coaches until untold rot had set in was a familiar trait under Woodward et al.

Yeah fair enough but there was a massive deal made that he was staying on and that he was the man to lead us forward.

Sacking him seven league games later wouldn't be a good look for them - even if I, and many, many others, believe the situation is beyond repair.

It will be interesting to see how much has actually changed under our so-called new leadership as hanging onto coaches until untold rot had set in was a familiar trait under Woodward et al.
11 games in all comps. 20% of a season for most. Just 3 wins. 5 draws (1 penalty shootout defeat) and 3 losses.

-4 GD across his last 45 PL games as manager. -1 GD last season and a -3 GD this season.

He got his chance after winning The FA Cup final. He didn't take it. I think admitting they got it wrong would be a better decision than being stubborn.

But yeah, I don't think they've got the balls.

11 games in all comps. 20% of a season for most. Just 3 wins. 5 draws (1 penalty shootout defeat) and 3 losses.

-4 GD across his last 45 PL games as manager. -1 GD last season and a -3 GD this season.

He got his chance after winning The FA Cup final. He didn't take it. I think admitting they got it wrong would be a better decision than being stubborn.

But yeah, I don't think they've got the balls.

Yeah they haven't sadly, feel for anyone who genuinely had belief he would be sacked today

There is nothing else for ITV to report on?

What is being suggested is that one of the things discussed in this meeting is whether we keep the man or not. It stands to reason that nothing has been briefed before the meeting has even finished.

I don't think he will go but nothing about journalists reporting right now indicates anything about a discussion that is currently taking place.

When have ITV ever been at the forefront of football reporting? Their presence means nothing. The likes of Whitwell, Ornstein etc all said he's staying and they've not said much since.

Plan this and plan that, we have 8 points in fecking 7 games, it hasn't worked now let's move on

When do we think someone reliable will tell us that either he’s definitely staying or he definitely isn’t?

I keep checking for news today but I doubt we’d find out so immediately after the meeting
Nothing reliable. The amount of guess work by truly woeful English Journalists is something else. And if any of them happen to be right they will be shamefully praising themselves on social media for delivering an exclusive...

Sacked in the evening, you`re getting sacked in the evening, you`re getting saacked in the eeevening

When have ITV ever been at the forefront of football reporting? Their presence means nothing. The likes of Whitwell, Ornstein etc all said he's staying and they've not said much since.

Exactly, a mainstream news outlet covering football generally means it's a big thing.

You're ignoring the point. The suggestion was that this meeting would be to decide what to do. Everything you are saying is predicated on the belief that the decision has already been made.

What you are saying would make sense this time tomorrow. Not whilst the meeting is happening.

They’re going to look moronic if they don’t pull the trigger. Last season was a sackable offence, it was our worst ever PL campaign he hung on by the skin of his teeth for winning the cup and the league form has got worse.

He generally wouldn’t have made it to the summer if Coventry won the shootout it’s a joke

Has he been on a bender coming out with that shit?

Honestly, I genuinely believe this is why Britain hasn't had successful managers over the last 40 years outside of Fergie and Dalglish. They don't place any standards on their managers and have maintained an old school, "manager is always right" philosophy, which doesn't actually solve anything. How can you advance tactically if you have people like Neville campaigning for you even though you are doing a poor job. Its the same reason why the same group of managers keep getting shuffled around the league, because the british media doesn't actually understand what makes a good coach. The fact that some of these pundits have been managers should tell you the state of understanding. Its always lack of passion from players or that their downing tools or purposely not playing for the manager.

The problem we've had over the last decade, is that due to Fergie's success, we bought into this line of thinking, where the club, media and fans constantly attack our players and absolve the manager as long as they can. It's the reason we have so much rebuilding. The club, fans and media constantly struggle to bring our managers to account quickly enough to avoid lasting damage. Managers are allowed to behave badly, make reckless comments, whilst still maintaining their public image. We enable them and make them feel like we need them more than we need us, yet we are always shocked that they end up deluded by the end of their tenure. Where other clubs saw the media drivel as moral high ground bs, we were so oblivious to the change in mindset of other teams that we didn't build our senior management team and have wrongly maintained a "support the manager' line of thinking. Other teams don't do this because they had experience with the reality and costs of what unwavering support of failure looks like. As a club, we have the support, popularity and finances that should ensure that at minimum we are playing decent football and competing. Yet we've allowed poor appointments and this broken old school mentality to drop our standing in the game. If we continue to think and act like this, we will fall too far behind and won't have the finances or support to get back up. We've managed to survive this long due to strong support and commercial success, but how long can we maintain that without actually being competitive.

Aren't a lot of these reports just saying Ten Hag expects to stay? Not that he is expected to stay?

Not saying he will go as I have about 0 faith in INEOS, but I'm not really taking articles worded that way as a sign

You really do wonder how much further we have to sink before they are willing to rectify mistake. Feck sake I just want to actually care about whether we win, lose or draw games

A vote of confidence would have been a new 3 year deal. Like Iraola and O'Neil signings new deals last season after a season in charge.

I don't think he has. I just think they're indecisive and not guaranteed to do a good job. INEOS don't have a good track record in football.

He certainly managed to put more than a few United fans under his spell last season though.
Which he would not have signed as they wanted to take away his veto power. This 1-year option did not affect that.

Aren't a lot of these reports just saying Ten Hag expects to stay? Not that he is expected to stay?

Not saying he will go as I have about 0 faith in INEOS, but I'm not really taking articles worded that way as a sign

They are all just speaking in generalities and being vague enough that they can't be accused of being wrong. Basically waiting until they actually know something.

They’re going to look moronic if they don’t pull the trigger. Last season was a sackable offence, it was our worst ever PL campaign he hung on by the skin of his teeth for winning the cup and the league form has got worse.

He generally wouldn’t have made it to the summer if Coventry won the shootout it’s a joke

Yeah ridiculous he is still able to con them and not just that but be cocky about it too

I bet the journalists all have two stories ready to go to print tonight - one if he stays, one if he goes. Nobody has a clue.

Decided to stick with a manager who delivered the worst United season in PL history because he won a one-off match.

Need to have an executive meeting just to make a decision even after more than 120 games worth of evidence. A blind bat could make this decision in 5 minutes.

And please dont get me started on the financial implications of firing him. They would have known that as soon as they joined. Instead they kept him on and piled another €200m into this disaster of a project.

Ineos is looking very funny under the light.

Honestly, I genuinely believe this is why Britain hasn't had successful managers over the last 40 years outside of Fergie and Dalglish. They don't place any standards on their managers and have maintained an old school, "manager is always right" philosophy, which doesn't actually solve anything. How can you advance tactically if you have people like Neville campaigning for you even though you are doing a poor job. Its the same reason why the same group of managers keep getting shuffled around the league, because the british media doesn't actually understand what makes a good coach. The fact that some of these pundits have been managers should tell you the state of understanding. Its always lack of passion from players or that their downing tools or purposely not playing for the manager.

The problem we've had over the last decade, is that due to Fergie's success, we bought into this line of thinking, where the club, media and fans constantly attack our players and absolve the manager as long as they can. It's the reason we have so much rebuilding. The club, fans and media constantly struggle to bring our managers to account quickly enough to avoid lasting damage. Managers are allowed to behave badly, make reckless comments, whilst still maintaining their public image. We enable them and make them feel like we need them more than we need us, yet we are always shocked that they end up deluded by the end of their tenure. Where other clubs saw the media drivel as moral high ground bs, we were so oblivious to the change in mindset of other teams that we didn't build our senior management team and have wrongly maintained a "support the manager' line of thinking. Other teams don't do this because they had experience with the reality and costs of what unwavering support of failure looks like. As a club, we have the support, popularity and finances that should ensure that at minimum we are playing decent football and competing. Yet we've allowed poor appointments and this broken old school mentality to drop our standing in the game. If we continue to think and act like this, we will fall too far behind and won't have the finances or support to get back up. We've managed to survive this long due to strong support and commercial success, but how long can we maintain that without actually being competitive.

Nailed it with this post

Yeah ridiculous he is still able to con them and not just that but be cocky about it too

Man's so blinkered it wouldn't even register if he did get sacked...

"Erik, you're fired"

"Heh, yesh I know, we are fired up for the next games!"

Decided to stick with a manager who delivered the worst United season in PL history because he won a one-off match.

Need to have an executive meeting just to make a decision even after more than 120 games worth of evidence. A blind bat could make this decision in 5 minutes.

And please dont get me started on the financial implications of firing him. They would have known that as soon as they joined. Instead they kept him on and piled another €200m into this disaster of a project.

Ineos is looking very funny under the light.

They look like rabbits in headlights over this decision

There's no way he's getting the boot two months in a new season after they publicly backed him and renewed his contract in the summer. It will be a results need to improve but we believe we have the right team in place to achieve them, or words to that effect.

Didn't Jose Mourinho and Solskjaer get new long term contracts shortly before getting the boot a few months into a next season?

I bet the journalists all have two stories ready to go to print tonight - one if he stays, one if he goes. Nobody has a clue.

Unfortunately the going story will remain on the laptop, jeez INEOS get some bloody standards

United having its worst ever prem start and Moyesie saying "Ten Hag is doing a brilliant job, and deserves credit for the way he's conducted himself and for showing resilience"

everyone's doing comedy :lol:

Didn't Jose Mourinho and Solskjaer get new long term contracts shortly before getting the boot a few months into a next season?
Jose wasn't sacked until a week before Christmas and Solksjaer got the boot in late November. Both of them could, and should, have parted ways with the club long before then.

This looks like more of the same under Ineos.

Jose wasn't sacked until a week before Christmas and Solksjaer got the boot in late November. Both of them could, and should, have parted ways with the club long before then.

Sucks to have at least another month with this guy

Definitely, we need to stop letting managers who are on a downward trajectory or at least in the case of Ole who looked like he could take the team as far as he could, stay in the job when summer is the best time to make the change.

I genuinely don't know if this lot will sack Ten Hag this week but I do suspect if they decide he can't deliver CL football this season they'll have no qualms of sacking him regardless of the extension being triggered.

Yeah with Neville staying strong on his stance, you wonder if he would feel the same had he not been such a total disaster at Valencia

Funny that, cause Ten Hag's doing worse than Neville at Valencia. Let me necro this post: