Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
What was Ole’s worst defeat?
5-0 at home to Liverpool. For me that was worse than the 7-0 away. Underlying XG was worse if I'm not mistaken, plus it was on our own turf.

Mid November vs Watford there was a 4-1 too, and we were 4pts off 16th place at that point. I think this was when he was finally sacked.

Madrid and Bayern would’ve sacked him 4 times over by now. Chelsea 3 times over. Barca 3 times over.

We are a joke.

Agreed. There is no club of comparable size to us that would persist with Ten Hag.

For example, could you imagine Inter losing 7-0 to Juve and 6-3 to Milan in the same season and giving the manager 'time'?

Man Utd is literally the only big club in football where you can fail for an extended period of time and stand of chance of keeping your job.

5-0 at home to Liverpool. For me that was worse than the 7-0 away. Underlying XG was worse if I'm not mistaken, plus it was on our own turf.

Mid November vs Watford there was a 4-1 too, and we were 4pts off 16th place at that point. I think this was when he was finally sacked.

I agree. The JuAnfield one I could just about live down because it was at their place. However, being done at home 5-0 to them of all teams. Head still wobbles frankly. I love Ole but he should've gone that weekend.

If Tuchel was to come in and not get us in the top 4 in the next couple of seasons, would that make him a bad manager?

Just had a look back at the results and mad to think we beat Atalanta and Spurs either side of Liverpool.

Promoted to permanent manager in March 2019. Started going to shit in September 2021. You're just conveniently going to ignore the 2.5 years inbetween where it absolutely wasn't "shit"?
He is right, our season 2018/19 fell apart after the Paris game where we had 2 win 2 draws and 6 loss in 10 games.. we didnt win the last 5 leaugue games.. and there were also these periods and talk about him being fired during the next 2 seasons.. But also during those 2 seasons there we very good periodes.. But you are right it first became ETH shit in 2021

If Tuchel was to come in and not get us in the top 4 in the next couple of seasons, would that make him a bad manager?

I'll bite: Yes.

We should be competing for the title. Not saying we should win it. But we shouldn't be struggling to finish 10-15 points off the top, which is what top 4 usually is. I can accept something like Ten Hag's first season, where we went to Palace and Arsenal looking like we were in the mix and then we faltered and it fell apart and we ended up 3rd. But I'm not having that its acceptable for Man Utd to continue to be miles away from the top of the table, which is what 5th and down is.

Lets have it right, after finishing 8th Ten Hag could've had no complaints with being sacked. However, the performance he got out of us against the best team in the country was reason to give him a stay of execution. He's run out of road now though. He has to go. If the guy who follows him fails as badly they have to go too.

No other big club accepts this idea of 'transition.' Its not accepted at Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern, Juve. Even when they're in the gutter they demand quick turnarounds. Juve got relegated after the match fixing scandal and as soon as they got promoted the expectation was a title charge.

We need to get back to thinking like a giant of European football.

No. Our squad is probably just about good enough to compete for top 4, so are 4-5 other squads in the league other than City, Arsenal and Liverpool, all of whom are virtually certain to be top 3.

The problem is ten Hag probably won’t even have us in top 10. :lol:

Is it routine?

If the largest and second largest shareholders typically don't attend a specific meeting and then suddenly do is that not a significant deviation from the routine? Especially for a business that is very publicly experiencing some turbulence.

Well technically yes - it's a monthly ExCo meeting. They also had it last month but in Barcelona.

Agreed that the additional backdrop of our poor start of the season increases its importance.

If they don't sack him, they will say that this was regular meeting and manager status wasn't even a topic.

It depends. If we've played good football throughout the season but City,Liverpool, Arsenal and one of the others have all had strong seasons, what can you do.

But obviously that isn't what's happening with ETH. His last 20 games have us just above relegation.

Fans will need to come together at Brentford game and show Erik that we all stand by him.

No. Our squad is probably just about good enough to compete for top 4, so are 4-5 other squads in the league other than City, Arsenal and Liverpool, all of whom are virtually certain to be top 3.

The problem is ten Hag probably won’t even have us in top 10. :lol:
I think a good manager gets more out of the players though.

Consensus (from what I've seen online) seems to be that we're extremely unlikely to sack and will stick with the 'process' focussing on bringing in a new forward (again) in Jan.

I honestly can't imagine how we could possibly be so incompetent, but for some reason I also can't see any other outcome here. It'll be a(nother) complete nightmare season if we give him even another two months, but I think they'll feel like they have to stick with him after the new contract and buying his players in the summer, on top of the ridiculous money we will have to pay him to leave.

Yeah it's sickening our joint worst home and away premier league defeats were to our two biggest rivals

Consensus (from what I've seen online) seems to be that we're extremely unlikely to sack and will stick with the 'process' focussing on bringing in a new forward (again) in Jan.

I honestly can't imagine how we could possibly be so incompetent, but for some reason I also can't see any other outcome here. It'll be a(nother) complete nightmare season if we give him even another two months, but I think they'll feel like they have to stick with him after the new contract and buying his players in the summer, on top of the ridiculous money we will have to pay him to leave.
I find that idea pretty unusual. Imagine being captain of the Titanic and finding out you're going to hit an iceberg well in advance and you just plough on anyway becasue reasons.

Maybe I'm biased but I believe that we have a squad that is top 5 already.
I second that... I believe we have enough quality and cover to be fighting for a top 4 spot. But the team is being led by what seems to be a blind, naive and stubborn leader.

Couldn't give a toss if that striker was Osimhen or Sesko (won't be) because Erik should be gone before we kick a ball in league again

What is this ranking? What does it take into account?
It is usually used for individual sports, or stuff like chess, but nowadays it is also getting used in FIFA ranking. But the idea is that it takes into account the quality of opposition. Defeating an opponent who has an Elo ranking lower than you, won't increase your Elo by much, but losing against such an opponent, will lower your Elo. Conversely, losing against an opponent with Elo ranking higher than you won't decrease your Elo that much, but defeating such an opponent will increase your Elo a lot. The bigger the difference in Elo, the more increase/decrease in Elo you get by defeating/losing against an opponent which has a higher/lower Elo than you.

On other words, losing against City does not lower our Elo, but defeating them increased the Elo a lot. Conversely, defeating Nottingham Forest won't increase our Elo, but losing against them will massively decrease our Elo.

If I bet, I'd be chucking a large sum on us keeping him then losing to Brentford first game back

Maybe I'm biased but I believe that we have a squad that is top 5 already.

It's quite hard to say because I think we have as many good players as a team like Tottenham but I also think the profile of our squad is really weird.

A new manager would probably want a striker, a full back and a midfielder on day one despite us just signing one of each.

Fans will need to come together at Brentford game and show Erik that we all stand by him.
What's sickening is that the only player that followed instructions in the same fixture last season was sold against ETH's will. The management has made life extremely difficult for the manager.

What's sickening is that the only player that followed instructions in the same fixture last season was sold against ETH's will. The management has made life extremely difficult for the manager.
These fecking owners are letting him down?

I'll bite: Yes.

We should be competing for the title. Not saying we should win it. But we shouldn't be struggling to finish 10-15 points off the top, which is what top 4 usually is. I can accept something like Ten Hag's first season, where we went to Palace and Arsenal looking like we were in the mix and then we faltered and it fell apart and we ended up 3rd. But I'm not having that its acceptable for Man Utd to continue to be miles away from the top of the table, which is what 5th and down is.

Lets have it right, after finishing 8th Ten Hag could've had no complaints with being sacked. However, the performance he got out of us against the best team in the country was reason to give him a stay of execution. He's run out of road now though. He has to go. If the guy who follows him fails as badly they have to go too.

No other big club accepts this idea of 'transition.' Its not accepted at Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern, Juve. Even when they're in the gutter they demand quick turnarounds. Juve got relegated after the match fixing scandal and as soon as they got promoted the expectation was a title charge.

We need to get back to thinking like a giant of European football.
Absolutely - Ten Hag can have no complaints if he is sacked. He will be sacked, it is a matter of when. My point has very little to do with the current manager, probably should have made it in another thread.

I just think we have been through too many good managers at the club now for me to tar them all with being bad managers just because they haven't succeeded at United. Or maybe they were just all bad managers too... At the moment I would say the safer money would be on our next manager failing to get us in the top four than have us challenging for the league in the next two years. I wouldn't call him a bad manager for that no matter who he is.

This is where I appreciate LVG. The man had a plan , yes a big snooze fest but probably we played with a style during his time .

Not that I liked his game but everyone knew what we will do . We always had a plan. All other managers post SAF looked like they could fail at any point of time.