Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'd take Carrick as assistant to McKenna. Would love that.

I don’t get this McKenna hype one bit. It’s mind boggling that his name keeps popping up.

That highly regarded within the game he got hounded out of United and the clubs queuing up for him were league 1 standard.

Fair play to him on the promotions but to go from Ipswich to United is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Interviewing Thomas is the summer, rejecting him, extending Erik’s contract and allowing him to spend another £200m on players, then sacking him three months into the season and hiring Thomas was all part of our detailed strategic review.

‘As was spending another £100m on central defenders only to play a 36-year-old who originally joined the club last summer to train and regain his fitness’.

:lol:
"We can do things in the market other teams can only dream of."

Other clubs don't need a "standout candidate" lined up to sack a manager who is objectively failing.

I've made this point a few times on here. Klopp and Pep are the elite managers in world football. Below them are a load of mostly younger, talented managers, one or two of whom will be the next elite managers. Our "best in class" footballing structure need to do their job and identify who we should get.

Liverpool lost Klopp and have made a call on a replacement. Chelsea have changed their manager. Spurs and Villa did it to some measure of success. None of those managers are "standout candidates", especially Slot at Liverpool after Klopp.

Sticking with Ten Hag is rewarding failure. We're not getting an elite manager - the football people need to do the job they're handsomely paid for. It's what Ratcliffe alluded to in the interview last week, he's paying people to make these decisions.

Sacking him is the right decision. If they're paralysed by indecision the future under INEOS looks bleak.
I think sacking him is the only decision. It's diabolical. And the worst thing of all is that he's obviously not making decisions for the benefit of the club this season, but for the benefit of himself.

But I think they want a replacement that they can all be aligned on. Who they feel represents their ambition. No poll is showing a clear standout. What I'm saying is that having a clear "we must get him" appointment would make their decision to sack Erik easier. Not that they shouldn't still do it.

I also think United is a bigger job than any other in England. The manager who next wins the league and/or Champions League with United goes down in football history.

Fans' advisory board meeting and stadium discussion with Gary Neville?

This is a disaster, Neville will be nagging them to keep Hag

Read it, Neville is there for the are development and rightly so considering he has numerous business interests in the surrounding area.

Sucks a Glazer is involved. They won't sack him because they wont want to pay him.

I think he’s gone. They would have backed him with these ‘sources’ by now if he was to stay.

I bet there will be stories about his axing late tonight and the deed will be done tomorrow

Other clubs don't need a "standout candidate" lined up to sack a manager who is objectively failing.

I've made this point a few times on here. Klopp and Pep are the elite managers in world football. Below them are a load of mostly younger, talented managers, one or two of whom will be the next elite managers. Our "best in class" footballing structure need to do their job and identify who we should get.

Liverpool lost Klopp and have made a call on a replacement. Chelsea have changed their manager. Spurs and Villa did it to some measure of success. None of those managers are "standout candidates", especially Slot at Liverpool after Klopp.

Sticking with Ten Hag is rewarding failure. We're not getting an elite manager - the football people need to do the job they're handsomely paid for. It's what Ratcliffe alluded to in the interview last week, he's paying people to make these decisions.

Sacking him is the right decision. If they're paralysed by indecision the future under INEOS looks bleak.
Paralysed by indecision.

This place :lol:

Sounds good but we can't really know about that. I mean, if I can, I'd choose to believe you. But there isn't much apart from hoping that tells us that the mentality improved a bit. Seeing Rashford for example. Seeing Bruno for example. And thats not me pointing at them for bad mentality, just that they do not handle themselves too differently now than they did before.

Thats certainly true.

Makes sense.

I am honestly not too sure about that. The first time, I've seen us attempt an organized press was last season. And as far as I know, it seemed to work to the extent of us becoming one of the teams with the most high turnovers at some point. It didn't help us much because we weren't able to capitalize due to bad finishing, not only that it often even backfired due to opposition counter who made use of our vulnerable positioning. This season, we did it sometimes, notably in the match against Fulham and Brighton and I thought, we looked quite fine with it. Issue is, that such a thing takes X amount of time to be really instilled into the players, what are the triggers, what are the roles, when do we push up (as defenders) and when do we not engange higher (as attackers). I've said it multiple times, I think, this isn't some sort of "we do the wrong pressing" it is some form of "we don't do it well enough". And without question, I'd hope somebody can improve that faster than ETH, I think, it will take some time for the next guy to do as well as some of the things can't be instilled via one training session. (btw: which is why I am so adamant to bring in somebody who isn't just going to set us up deeper, in my eyes we have to break that barrier and not shy away from it).

Yeah thats certainly true. If European football is essential for this season (specifically this, I didn't want to make the impression I would be talking about 2 or 3 years, I was only speaking of this year) then I guess a compromise has to be made between grinding out results while improving at the same time. Because if we put all out eggs into results, we might end up in another Ole situation, where everything feels more cosy but we will prevented from reaching the upper echelons (again) simply by not making use of the whole tool box available. And I don't think, much has to be un-done to be honest. As layed out in the "awfully coached" thread - what ETH is attempting isn't some brandnew stuff. Most of those things are in place in other clubs and working fine. Maybe ETH isn't great at communicating, maybe our players are (also) not good at understanding their roles, probably even more factors are in place. But the general direction we went is correct. "Keep it tight at the back and hit them on the counter" won't cut it anymore. At least when the aim is sustained return to the very top.

I am warming to the idea of Tuchel coming in... it would prevent an interim phase and he definitely isn't shy to give our players a bollocking when needed. I don't think he is the best fit in terms of style so the migration of the squad from ETH to him is as smooth as possible but it should be good enough.

I don't disagree with much of that mate. For me Tuchel would be the ideal bridge manager for 1-2 years.

We have pressed well at times but at the expense of almost every other aspect of the game, we're shite at attacking and defending under ETH.

I think I've just had enough of these 3-5 year projects peddled by bluffers, we have enough resources and talent to compete for 4th at least while implementing a more progressive style and building towards a title winning squad. Every manager who takes the job should be held to certain standards, Manchester United can't be finishing 8th and sitting in the bottom half of the table after spending £600m. If we allow it to continue we'll be in the wilderness for years to come.

The terrible experience with Rangnick is probably scaring the suits. Firing ETH without a proper replacement is a recipe for disaster. Still though, he's got to go.

I don’t get this McKenna hype one bit. It’s mind boggling that his name keeps popping up.

That highly regarded within the game he got hounded out of United and the clubs queuing up for him were league 1 standard.

Fair play to him on the promotions but to go from Ipswich to United is ridiculous.
I hated seeing McKenna's punchable face and his iPad when he was sat in the dugout under Ole, but he had done an exceptional job at Ipswich. Poor vs West Ham the other day, but he's not been naive like Russell Martin has been in most games. He knows that they have to adjust their style from last season.

Rangnick wanted to keep him on as his assistant, but McKenna chose to leave. He made the right career decision. He picked a club with potential.

It's clear that he's one of the best up and coming British managers. INEOS will like that.

I think he’s gone. They would have backed him with these ‘sources’ by now if he was to stay.

I bet there will be stories about his axing late tonight and the deed will be done tomorrow
Has any of usual United journalist reported anything I'll wait for them to have their say before heaving sigh of relief .

I hated seeing McKenna's punchable face and his iPad when he was sat in the dugout under Ole, but he had done an exceptional job at Ipswich. Poor vs West Ham the other day, but he's not been naive like Russell Martin has been in most games. He knows that they have to adjust their style from last season.

Rangnick wanted to keep him on as his assistant, but McKenna chose to leave. He made the right career decision. He picked a club with potential.

It's clear that he's one of the best up and coming British managers. INEOS will like that.
McKenna would batter you

We did pretty decent business in the summer, with the right manager in place this squad should be competing for 3rd, Arsenal and City will still be 1 and 2, I cannot see Slot maintaining Liverpool at the top all season, I am not necessarily Tuchel's biggest fan but I think he could get us there or thereabouts if brought in before the next game, with ETH I really doubt we will make the top half let alone the top 4, I wanted him gone before the FA cup final but accepted that he might change things for the better this season, he has now gone past the point of no return and everyone knows it.

Good post.

For such a huge club with our resources and attraction, our ceiling is actually quite low. Unless we land on another Ferguson or Busby (which we have no right to do - and ignores the fact, most modern managers don't have any interest or ability to manage a club long term) our potential/ceiling is closer to Spurs than Real Madrid.

We desperately needed the Qatari's, and as usual in the last 10 years - when it came down to it, we ended up with the worst of the 2 choices on offer.

Disagree.

'If you take all the trophies away from United, they've actually won nothing'

The Fergie/Busby aspect betrays the fact they ruled us for over a third of our history.

Historically, we are absolutely nothing like Spurs and Qatar's state bid can do one. Their psg franchise is losing its superstars for a reason.

(Northern) Irish manager, chief, don't know if he's British.

Could be a hard-bitten Republican headcase. In which case, call him british just to wind him up...

Although it’s probably bull anyway but I could get behind a Carrick stint, be interested to see how how he’d do here and it’s not like it can get much worse anyway..

I can't imagine he is exactly short of money and how much are we realistically going to pay for an interim who has done alright in the Championship?

More than he makes at Middlesbrough I'd suspect.

Ten Hag makes £180k per week, he's the 3rd-4th highest paid in the league.

:lol:

image.png