De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So who is the biggest club then?
The only thing you can base size in is interactions online as that’s the only measurable medium for global fan engagement. And our metrics there esclipse any other club in the world. Just ask Ed Woodward. For all his faults he knew what made this club the global commercial leader.

Sure there are dedicated fans over there. I don’t doubt that. How many are there, though?
How many times you have been to India? I really want to see more of your ignorance.

Whoever started this thread derailment deserves a thread banning, no ones gives a feck about Madrid, we want to discuss our new signing.

The only thing you can base size in is interactions online as that’s the only measurable medium for foreign fan engagement. And our metrics there esclipse any other club in the world. Just ask Ed Woodward. For all his faults he knew what made this club the global commercial leader.
I’m aware of that. I just happen to be quite cynical about counting online interactions and such as measures of who has the most fans. And that’s my general issue with these discussions. Fans usually happen to be somewhat strict about who they count as actual fans. I mean in this forum we’ve often seen threads on that matter. Other forums have the same discussions.
It’s then just very funny to me, when some of the same people argue the sheer size of their club, based on online interactions and stuff like that.
Many of these people are somewhat curious about a club or might simply recognise them as a brand. But that doesn’t constitute being a fan. If so, I’d be a New York Knicks fan. Or many How I Met your Mother fans are suddenly die hard Vikings fans. Or just imagine how many fans Spurs must have due to that show. Just be happy that your club is beloved by many people. That should be enough.

Whoever started this thread derailment deserves a thread banning, no ones gives a feck about Madrid, we want to discuss our new signing.
Has to scroll up to see the thread title, wasn’t sure what I logged into at one point when reading the comments. Has MDL been confirmed yet?

Has to scroll up to see the thread title, wasn’t sure what I logged into at one point when reading the comments. Has MDL been confirmed yet?
Not quite, presume it'll be either today or tomorrow though.

I’m aware of that. I just happen to be quite cynical about counting online interactions and such as measures of who has the most fans. And that’s my general issue with these discussions. Fans usually happen to be somewhat strict about who they count as actual fans. I mean in this forum we’ve often seen threads on that matter. Other forums have the same discussions.
It’s then just very funny to me, when some of the same people argue the sheer size of their club, based on online interactions and stuff like that.
Many of these people are somewhat curious about a club or might simply recognise them as a brand. But that doesn’t constitute being a fan. If so, I’d be a New York Knicks fan. Or many How I Met your Mother fans are suddenly die hard Vikings fans. Or just imagine how many fans Spurs must have due to that show. Just be happy that your club is beloved by many people. That should be enough.
Every top club needs a USP. Social media is huge for players now and that’s why it means a lot to the club. I’m sure the current execs will be mindful about not talking commercials and focusing on the football but I know for a fact that our social media power is used to entice the top players we sign. Manchester is not a popular lifestyle for top international players so it becomes even more important in recruitment. That’s why I care about it. The Snapdragon CMO recently said that our pre season got more impressions than the remaining top 6 PL teams put together. That’s more than brand awareness, as your average armchair fan doesn’t follow pre season.

Anyway, I’m conscious that this is not directly related to De Ligt so agree to disagree I guess.

Could very well be like you both say, that no other big club with economic muscles is in the need of a CB. But I would still assume that some PL clubs would be interested. If not, are we not paying more than market price?

I think it is more the high salary in that case as we are one of few clubs who don't mind paying these high salaries. He said the same when he signed for Juventus, that he only wanted Juve, but I don't see why he would only want to join United. Anyways, it is an interesting signing who will strengthen the team, even if I personally thought we would need reinforcement better in midfield.

De Ligt went for 67m to Juventus in 2019, and then for 65m to Bayern in 2022. It's impossible that 38m for him now is above market value when his stock hasn't really taken a hit in the last 2-3 years IMO.

Big step up for De Ligt. Let’s hope he can handle the pressure of playing at a far bigger club.

We'd be wise not to rush him for the Fulham game. He's especially the sort who'll need to build up match fitness to regain his pace and concentration levels (key weaknesses holding him back from being e-ligt IMO), and also since he likes being aggressive high up the pitch..

Hoping he can turn into an elite defender with us. Just Bonucci level and I'd be de-ligted.

Scholes had quite the mare on Overlap on De Ligt, sadly.

Are we done now having a silly dickmeasuring contest about what constitutes the biggest club in the de Ligt transfer thread sometime soon?

Any idea when the actual signing can be expected? The medicals were yesterday, maybe I am misremembering but I seem to remember that a fair number of signings happened on the same day of the medical.
I think it should be announced later today

Both have terrible views on the game, which is weird because they were both so, so good.

Havent read what Rio said but sounds odd if he criticized the De Ligt signing.

What, he's still spouting rubbish isn't he?
He’s a fecking idiot.
Favourite playing growing up. Idolised the fellow ginge!
But his constant negativity is draining

I was listening to a podcast on the BBC with some guy from NY Times. I understand his criticism about buying players who previously worked under Ten Hag, but some of his remarks about De Ligt are pure fiction. As already mentioned in here by Bayern fans his period at Bayern was a succes, defensively he’s much better than is being pictured, he’s strong, tough tackling and a good header of the ball. He’s not as slow as being made out either. Most Dutch pundits would potentially rate him higher than VVD. For that money you’ll do extremely well to find a CB as good as De Ligt in this market.

I was listening to a podcast on the BBC with some guy from NY Times. I understand his criticism about buying players who previously worked under Ten Hag, but some of his remarks about De Ligt are pure fiction. As already mentioned in here by Bayern fans his period at Bayern was a succes, defensively he’s much better than is being pictured, he’s strong, tough tackling and a good header of the ball. He’s not as slow as being made out either. Most Dutch pundits would potentially rate him higher than VVD. For that money you’ll do extremely well to find a CB as good as De Ligt in this market.
There is something I quite like about so many writing him off already. Huge potential to make some of these idiots eat their words.

Could very well be like you both say, that no other big club with economic muscles is in the need of a CB. But I would still assume that some PL clubs would be interested. If not, are we not paying more than market price?

I think it is more the high salary in that case as we are one of few clubs who don't mind paying these high salaries. He said the same when he signed for Juventus, that he only wanted Juve, but I don't see why he would only want to join United. Anyways, it is an interesting signing who will strengthen the team, even if I personally thought we would need reinforcement better in midfield.
Market price? There is no market price in football. This isn’t a grocery store where MSRP are set for everyone to see. It’s up the selling club to set it and the buying club can pay it, negotiate or feck off.

Hearing all of that is good, but why are Bayern selling him?

Elite clubs very rarely sell elite players, during their prime years for a relatively low fee.
It was said many times, they are cutting their wage bill and he is one of the highest earners there.

While I’m happy that the defence has been shored up, we can actually go into the season knowing a couple of injuries won’t completely derail our season. I still feel we need reinforcements in the middle of the park. One starter and one backup. I’d be happy with Ugarte and Amrabat (he played well towards the latter stages of the season for us) or someone like Berge. De Ligt is someone who could be a steal at this price if things go well. He has a wealth of experience and great leadership skills for someone still in his mid 20’s. His peak years are ahead of him. To get him and Yoro + cover for right back is a great window for us in terms of cover for defence. Now go get some midfielders for goodness sake!

It was said many times, they are cutting their wage bill and he is one of the highest earners there.
I haven't kept up with the conversation. I just saw we were signing him and wondered why Bayern were selling a supposedly great player. Thank you for letting me know!

I haven't kept up with the conversation. I just saw we were signing him and wondered why Bayern were selling a supposedly great player. Thank you for letting me know!
No worries, I was also wondering the same and thought it was because of his injury record, which doesn't seem that bad and it was overblown.

This has been rehashed so many times in this thread - practically every page. He is on big wages and Bayern want to reduce their wage bill while getting a fee so they could spend to strengthen other areas.
Thank you, I suppose he’s on even more now:)
Has he actually signed yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.