De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I am not sure this is true - I see more Madrid, Barca and PSG shirts on my travels around Europe than United shirts.

So PSG are a bigger club than United now as well? Come on mate, that’s a ridiculous thing to say.

Honestly, I am not sure this is true - I see more Madrid, Barca and PSG shirts on my travels around Europe than United shirts.

No chance PSG are bigger. People may wear the shirt because of Messi, Neymar and Mbappe, mainly Messi, but it doesn't mean they have an enormous fan base.

I own about 20 none Man United shirts of other football clubs due to nostalgia, and I sometimes buy them when visiting a European country, but it doesn't mean that is my team.

This happens a lot with PSG, I see kids all over England wearing PSG shirts with Messi on.

I think it’s cute to pretend United is the biggest club in the world. I disagree, however.

I’ve lived and worked in 4 continents - and speak about 3 languages - I’m not short on travels. Just as you’ve assumed recency bias has moulded my position, is it fair to assume nostalgia has moulded yours? Popularity isn’t a static thing. Madrid matches, or at the very least isn’t far off United in most metrics all the while completely obliterating United in some - arguably the most important ones too.

Anyways, we signed De Ligt - it’s a good thing we should be happy about. I just thought the initial post about biggest club was amusing and replied with a throwaway barb because I firmly believe we’re not. We’re still among the biggest, which is fine enough.

I agree, Real Madrid are the greatest, biggest and best club in the world.

Yeah I like that sort of collarless pullover shirt in the shape of a T which he's wearing. Gotta admire these celebs with their high-fashion stylings.
Less is more, some of these people with money look absolutely horrific trying too hard. Great colours, great daps. Great start to life here.

So PSG are a bigger club than United now as well? Come on mate, that’s a ridiculous thing to say.

I said I see more shirts. I am saying we are somewhat deluded in thinking we are the biggest club in the world - what does that even mean anyway?

I said I see more shirts. I am saying we are somewhat deluded in thinking we are the biggest club in the world - what does that even mean anyway?

I’m sure if Messi, Neymar and Mbappe had played for Port Vale recently you’d see a lot of their shirts around Europe as well.

De Light also massively helps with our looks department. He's such a cutie, would be a 10/10 without the dumbo ears.

PSG were apparently interested but the player told his agent to only negotiate with United.

With Barca and Madrid not really in a position to spend big on players currently, I was never really worried about him going somewhere else. Those are the only two clubs with a bigger pull than United in world football and thankfully they’re both broke right now

How many top teams need a central defender right now? Also he and his agent apparently didn’t want to negotiate with anyone else but United.
Could very well be like you both say, that no other big club with economic muscles is in the need of a CB. But I would still assume that some PL clubs would be interested. If not, are we not paying more than market price?
as per Fabrizio, he only wants United.. he had agreed personal terms with United since July and wait for AWB departure since the deal between United and Bayern only happens with Mazroui being part of the deal.. his wage is pretty high which will make the deal more difficult for other clubs plus he is known for his annoying injury record.. i hope he can stay fit, because im pretty sure he will be the first choice to play alongside Martinez
I think it is more the high salary in that case as we are one of few clubs who don't mind paying these high salaries. He said the same when he signed for Juventus, that he only wanted Juve, but I don't see why he would only want to join United. Anyways, it is an interesting signing who will strengthen the team, even if I personally thought we would need reinforcement better in midfield.

Could very well be like you both say, that no other big club with economic muscles is in the need of a CB. But I would still assume that some PL clubs would be interested. If not, are we not paying more than market price?

I think it is more the high salary in that case as we are one of few clubs who don't mind paying these high salaries. He said the same when he signed for Juventus, that he only wanted Juve, but I don't see why he would only want to join United. Anyways, it is an interesting signing who will strengthen the team, even if I personally thought we would need reinforcement better in midfield.

Rumours going around that he took an enormous pay cut and is only going to be on 170k at United (only 170k sounds wild to type)

Kind of crazy we've picked him up for so cheap. This is the kind of deal I usually see other clubs do while we're busy paying £80M for Harry Maguire. Martinez, De Ligt and Yoro are a selection of CBs to choose from.

Rumours going around that he took an enormous pay cut and is only going to be on 170k at United (only 170k sounds wild to type)
Read a similar rumour, but there are bonuses on top the base that are very incentive based. So if he’s class for us, he may get close to his Bayern salary

Read a similar rumour, but there are bonuses on top the base that are very incentive based. So if he’s class for us, he may get close to his Bayern salary

That is a better way to give contracts to players. If he is class then he deserves to paid accordingly.

The two biggest countries interms of population are India and China by far. 3 billion combined. Whichever club dominates these countries would have the biggest fanbases in the world. And I can tell you categorically, United is by far and I mean BY FAR the biggest in India. Not even close. And I can say that because I have travelled all around the country all my life. And United is huge in china too.

What about Real having the most revenue and most European Cup titles?
That makes them more financially successful and more successful in footballing achievements. In my opinion, the term ‘biggest’ refers to the actual size of the club, which is determined by the number of fans and supporters.

I spend most of my time in Stockholm, Sweden these days and countries without any iconic players, such as Zlatan who is now retired, generally go where the wind blows. For the first time ever I've seen City shirts out in the wild with Haaland on the back, especially after City won the treble. I see the occasional Arsenal and Liverpool shirt at the gym, even West Ham and Newcastle rarely. However, after United beat City in the FA cup the United shirts came back out in full force.

Make no mistake about it, seeing shirts in the wild is no indication of how big a team is.

Tbh I think Real have more fans than us.
Based on what? Real are dominant in South America with population of around 420 million. United are utterly dominant in Asia with India and china the two highest countries with a combined population of the whole continent is 4.5 billion.

Biggest meaning more fans is something I couldn't care less about. Biggest meaning most successful, now that means something.

PSG shirts are sold purely for fashion, the Jordan collab did wonders in that regard.

Biggest meaning more fans is something I couldn't care less about. Biggest meaning most successful, now that means something.
But the term for that would surely just be ‘most successful’, rather than ‘biggest’? Words mean things.

PSG are very good at marketing, to be fair. They are basically building a clothing brand and sell a lot of leisure and streetwear apparel even to non football fans.

The “biggest club” talk is cringe though, tbh.

Ah, it’s on of these discussions where every Asian who has once looked at a faked jersey is now being counted as a die hard fan. Always amusing.

PSG are very good at marketing, to be fair. They are basically building a clothing brand and sell a lot of leisure and streetwear apparel even to non football fans.

The “biggest club” talk is cringe though, tbh.
They also keep inviting random influencers and celebrities to their games and letting them live stream/meet players etc. It's all a circus.

Ah, it’s on of these discussions where every Asian who has once looked at a faked jersey is now being counted as a die hard fan. Always amusing.
Talk about condescending, eh? How come Asians are real fans. Absolutely fake fans. They don’t even have real jerseys. The absolute state of your post.

Biggest doesn’t mean most successful though. It means the largest fan base, most interactions and biggest community. We’re beyond Real on a global scale in that context. What makes us so big is our story and sporting philosophy resonating with so many people. I’d never trade that for success, as much as I enjoy it.

Most successful just means what it says, most successful…. And Real are more successful than us, currently and historically.

Talk about condescending, eh? How come Asians as real fans. Fake fans. They don’t even have real jerseys.
That’s not the point. The point is the ridiculous overstating of what a fan is. It‘s a pissing contest based on absolutely ridiculous numbers that are in no way accurate, simply used to feed the fragile egos of some weird fans, who sleep better thinking their club is oh so big.

His dad looks familiar.

531bf3a349862.image_.jpg

That's every Caftie come transfer season.
"Git 'ir done"

What a joke of a post. Our fan base in Asia is pretty hardcore and dedicated.
Sure there are dedicated fans over there. I don’t doubt that. How many are there, though?

Are we done now having a silly dickmeasuring contest about what constitutes the biggest club in the de Ligt transfer thread sometime soon?

Any idea when the actual signing can be expected? The medicals were yesterday, maybe I am misremembering but I seem to remember that a fair number of signings happened on the same day of the medical.

Status
Not open for further replies.