De Ligt | €45+5m agreement reached pending medical | Signed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't like his wife's coat at all.

Open minded about this signing but it's not a good start.
That's the sort of attention to detail that we need at the club. You should go straight from this forum to Head of Coaching or Assistant Manger - something like that seems to be what you are suited for.

That's the sort of attention to detail that we need at the club. You should go straight from this forum to Head of Coaching or Assistant Manger - something like that seems to be what you are suited for.
Thank you. I'm pleased to see I'm not the only one who understands that standards should be maintained in matters such as these. Ignoring these sorts of things breeds the culture of low expectations that has been all too evident at our club for a long time now.

Rio, Scholes and now Souness all questioning the signing. Really hope he can shut a few people up.
Y'know, on occasions you couldn't really tell the difference between players who played for the club and ones who didn't.

They seem to find the negatives in whatever positive moves we make.

Fecking tiring tbh.

Y'know, on occasions you couldn't really tell the difference between players who played for the club and ones who didn't.

They seem to find the negatives in whatever positive moves we make.

Fecking tiring tbh.

A bit dramatic. Rio was cheerleading and involved to get the Yoro deal done.

He's just skeptical of this move, it's OK. I'm sure he'll be buzzing if De Ligt does OK for us

Not at all. Those 3 plus Maguire and Evans as other options. Much better than last season, especially if we don't have as many injuries this season.

You can never have too many good CBs. Us buying De Ligt and Yoro feels like when Liverpool splashed out record sums for Phil Babb and John Scales (a lifetime ago) in the same transfer window.

Maybe a stupid question and maybe this has been discussed a lot as well, but why is there not any competition for his signature? Only us.
How many top teams need a central defender right now? Also he and his agent apparently didn’t want to negotiate with anyone else but United.

What? It’s on point. The only thing you can say is about the combo but the coat itself is very good. Just the perfect shade of green for summers and it’s a bit textured to add some depth to it. Nice choice. What wrong with you?

Think he's gonna be an excellent signing, can't wait. The perfect age to make the step up, he's experienced Juve and Bayern, ok had some struggles with fitness at Bayern but by no means was a bad player. He has the career arc and the type of signing now that so often turns into being the move that make a player like him into a world class CB, because he has all the attributes for it.

Signed for us on his birthday. Nice birthday gift joining the biggest club in the world

It doesn’t matter if he rates him. What message will it send out to the rest of the squad if an inform players gets dropped for one of ETH favourites. For all we know it could be Maguire and De Ligt with Martinez playing more on the left again like he did against city. Which I hope doesn’t happen as he’s far better at CB.
De Ligt is a really good defender. It's not nepotism. If he plays it's because he's better than the rest of the defenders.

De Ligt is a really good defender. It's not nepotism. If he plays it's because he's better than the rest of the defenders.
Not saying he isn’t a good defender. Just like when Antony played last season over the likes of Garnacho and Amad. I’m sure people will say he isn’t better than them.

We’re about to end a good stat of his. He’s won the league at every club he’s been at. We’re nowhere near that level yet.

Not saying he isn’t a good defender. Just like when Antony played last season over the likes of Garnacho and Amad. I’m sure people will say he isn’t better than them.
Unlike Antony over Amad, de Ligt is simply better and younger than our other defenders

Rio, Scholes and now Souness all questioning the signing. Really hope he can shut a few people up.
Anyone who listens to Sourness wants their head read.

Rio and Scholes are entitled to their opinion, but it seems like a lot more think he's a top signing than don't.

When did this happen?

You think Madrid are bigger? Travel around the world for a bit, it'll become clear. We may not be as successful as we once were and that's affecting how you see United but even with the lack of success I guarantee you, United is still the biggest club in the world. Our fan base is by far the biggest of any sports team in the world and you'll see United jerseys in any and every city around.

What a bizarre post,

I think it’s cute to pretend United is the biggest club in the world. I disagree, however.

You think Madrid are bigger? Travel around the world for a bit, it'll become clear. We may not be as successful as we once were and that's affecting how you see United but even with the lack of success I guarantee you, United is still the biggest club in the world. Our fan base is by far the biggest of any sports team in the world and you'll see United jerseys in any and every city around.

I’ve lived and worked in 4 continents - and speak about 3 languages - I’m not short on travels. Just as you’ve assumed recency bias has moulded my position, is it fair to assume nostalgia has moulded yours? Popularity isn’t a static thing. Madrid matches, or at the very least isn’t far off United in most metrics all the while completely obliterating United in some - arguably the most important ones too.

Anyways, we signed De Ligt - it’s a good thing we should be happy about. I just thought the initial post about biggest club was amusing and replied with a throwaway barb because I firmly believe we’re not. We’re still among the biggest, which is fine enough.

Big fan of the grinch style coat. De Ligts gear is the bollocks too

Honestly, I am not sure this is true - I see more Madrid, Barca and PSG shirts on my travels around Europe than United shirts.

Maybe a stupid question and maybe this has been discussed a lot as well, but why is there not any competition for his signature? Only us.
as per Fabrizio, he only wants United.. he had agreed personal terms with United since July and wait for AWB departure since the deal between United and Bayern only happens with Mazroui being part of the deal.. his wage is pretty high which will make the deal more difficult for other clubs plus he is known for his annoying injury record.. i hope he can stay fit, because im pretty sure he will be the first choice to play alongside Martinez

For all the Ex English United players criticising this signing I think you have to consider why:

They either want to be controversial for clicks (Unlikely), genuinely believe he isn't good enough (Not right as they say he failed at Juve yet went for a near world record fee) or he is taking the place of someone they are close to (Maguire?)

That is what makes most sense to me so I don't read too much into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.