Copa America 2015 | Tournament over, Eboue misses the final, everyone lols

And there's why we weren't too fussed about getting Chile. Beat Chile and you basically hijack the "host easy route to the final" that's always built into the fixture. Well worth the risk.

Chile is the only team scoring goals. Why are there so few goals in this competition? I remember 2011 being the same way.

Chile is the only team scoring goals. Why are there so few goals in this competition? I remember 2011 being the same way.
Most teams don't have good enough attacking players/setups. Whilst Colombia, Brazil, and Argentina have very good attacking players, the team setups either don't bring the best out of them, they're missing someone for a key role, or they're off form. Then, you have the likes of Peru, Venezuela, and Ecuador who have decent attacking setups but poor quality in the more attacking roles.

Why isn't Thiago captain anymore?
No idea, I know there was a little fuss when Dunga made Neymar captain without Thiago Silva's consent, but I thought he was still vice-captain. It's just strange that he gets surpassed by Miranda, a player who wasn't even in their WC squad only a year ago. Maybe @fontaine knows more about this?

Its a trend from the 2011 tournament, the whole continent more competitive than ever. Though it is true most top teams not utilising their attacking talents but the fact is every team can compete against anyone else. Peru, Venezuela, Bolivia and Paraguay have shown their not any pushovers and can defend against the big boys.

Though only Chile playing like how they normally do, Argentina and Colombia way off the mark at the moment.

Chile's group was the weakest in living memory. Bolivia without altitude was a surprise in the first couple of games, their game with Chile was the norm. Mexico is playing a local league first XI, and Ecuador was the poorest performer out of those making it to the last World Cup. None of them renowned for being much cop defending either. No surprise it wound up being the group sending only two teams through.

Or at least I hope that's what it is :lol:

Different from Argentina/Brazil, Chile haven't changed manager, so there's that as well, obviously.

Last edited:
Why isn't Thiago captain anymore?

Think it was something to do with the Brazil vs Chile game in the World Cup. Silva refused to take a penalty and got a bit emotional about it. Also been rumours of other people having influence over the Brazil team, maybe they wanted the star player as the captain?

Chile's group was the weakest in living memory. Bolivia without altitude was a surprise in the first couple of games, their game with Chile was the norm. Mexico is playing a local league first XI, and Ecuador was the poorest performer out of those making it to the last World Cup. None of them renowned for being much cop defending either. No surprise it wound up being the group sending only two teams through.

Or at least I hope that's what it is :lol:

Different from Argentina/Brazil, Chile haven't changed manager, so there's that as well, obviously.
But it isn't a special case. I saw every game in 2011 and it was very boring tournament. At least I found so. I was quite hyped for it after the lackluster WC in SA. Teams were just playing defensively a la '04 Greece. Argentina was also poor that tournament and Brazil were disappointing. The highlights were Uruguay and Guerrero and I feel that this tournament is similar. More scandalous now with two of the biggest stars being complete assholes.

No idea, I know there was a little fuss when Dunga made Neymar captain without Thiago Silva's consent, but I thought he was still vice-captain. It's just strange that he gets surpassed by Miranda, a player who wasn't even in their WC squad only a year ago. Maybe @fontaine knows more about this?

The nation as a whole got really pissed that he was crying before the Chile penalty shootouts. The fact that he childishly got suspended for the Germany game because he blocked Ospina's kick in didn't help. And then he publicly complained that he lost the captaincy.

He not only lost the captaincy, but the starting position in the beggining. But Dunga eventually realized that it is insane to start David Lolz ahead of him, he's still a top3 defender in the world.

But it isn't a special case. I saw every game in 2011 and it was very boring tournament. At least I found so. I was quite hyped for it after the lackluster WC in SA. Teams were just playing defensively a la '04 Greece. Argentina was also poor that tournament and Brazil were disappointing. The highlights were Uruguay and Guerrero and I feel that this tournament is similar. More scandalous now with two of the biggest stars being complete assholes.

It has never been too different: 2-3 favourite teams with big stars and loads of creativity vs 6-5 teams that will set up Greece-style to stop them and make them ineffective.

That adds up to 8, you then have Bolivia who usually can't play football at all, then one out of Venezuela, Ecuador or Peru (in that order) being completely incompetent. Eleventh is a wild card bunch who don't even know what they are getting themselves into (Japan/Jamaica) and twelfth is the one team that just happens to be going through a purple patch, shines brighter than all the others, seems to be playing a different tourno at a different level, and usually ends up winning.

11377227_906368026068148_3062984322624501541_n.png

@Snow, another take on that chart is that it's all seven Copa winners, plus Chile.

Seven winners in a federation of 10, 70%. UEFA have nine winners out of 53.

That's how competitive it is. Basically, it's winnable in that it isn't reserved to a privileged few, and hard to win in that you can't expect other teams to roll over before you. Denmark/Greece can happen more frequently so people play towards that rather than show up to make up numbers and get rodgered.

It has never been too different: 2-3 favourite teams with big stars and loads of creativity vs 6-5 teams that will set up Greece-style to stop them and make them ineffective.

That adds up to 8, you then have Bolivia who usually can't play football at all, then one out of Venezuela, Ecuador or Peru (in that order) being completely incompetent. Eleventh is a wild card bunch who don't even know what they are getting themselves into (Japan/Jamaica) and twelfth is the one team that just happens to be going through a purple patch, shines brighter than all the others, seems to be playing a different tourno at a different level, and usually ends up winning.
My take from the last 20-30 years is that most tournaments are quite needly and tight as is the case with such entrenched local rivalries and smaller countries recognising that pragmatism/teamwork is the best way to challenge. Unless one of the big two really catches fire, as happened in 1997 and 1999, or you get a particularly strong generation of players from one of the 'smaller' countries, then it tends to follow that model.

My take from the last 20-30 years is that most tournaments are quite needly and tight as is the case with such entrenched local rivalries and smaller countries recognising that pragmatism/teamwork is the best way to challenge. Unless one of the big two really catches fire, as happened in 1997 and 1999, or you get a particularly strong generation of players from one of the 'smaller' countries, then it tends to follow that model.

Yeah, very much so. There's an interesting statistic supporting this "catching fire/strong generation" thing (I'd call it lifecycle). The big guns usually peak and win them in pairs: ever since the 70s it has been a 1-2 series.

1979: Paraguay
1983/1987: Uruguay
1989: Brazil
1991/1993: Argentina
1995: Uruguay
1997/1999: Brazil
2001: Colombia
2004/2007: Brazil
2011: Uruguay

Means we can't win and whoever wins this will win the next as well :(

Notice 2001 should have been Argentina's, they were unplayable then, but didn't participate because they were scared of the FARC. Pussies.

2001 was such an anti-climax with the collection of talent Argentina had assembled unavailable while an effective but boring Colombia unit ground their way to the title.

@Snow, another take on that chart is that it's all seven Copa winners, plus Chile.

Seven winners in a federation of 10, 70%. UEFA have nine winners out of 53.

That's how competitive it is. Basically, it's winnable in that it isn't reserved to a privileged few, and hard to win in that you can't expect other teams to roll over before you. Denmark/Greece can happen more frequently so people play towards that rather than show up to make up numbers and get rodgered.
Explaining that it's winnable doesn't really explain how at most 1 team is scoring goals.

Do you enjoy the games between the teams that you are sort of neutral about?

Explaining that it's winnable doesn't really explain how at most 1 team is scoring goals.

Do you enjoy the games between the teams that you are sort of neutral about?

I'm not neutral about any game so long as we are in it! I certainly don't bother watch the early group games not involving candidates, but I couldn't help but watch most final games as they determined qualification, next opponents, likely semifinal pairings, etc.

I suppose it's as interesting to an outsider as most Euro games are to me. I.e. not very.

I'm not neutral about any game so long as we are in it! I certainly don't bother watch the early group games not involving candidates, but I couldn't help but watch most final games as they determined qualification, next opponents, likely semifinal pairings, etc.

I suppose it's as interesting to an outsider as most Euro games are to me. I.e. not very.
They were interesting to me before I watched them. I've just been so disappointed with them.

Game 19: Chile - Uruguay
If we concede early we get twatted, if we survive the first half we win.

Godín to score. Hopefully.

Fast pace to the game so far, Uruguay playing on the front foot which should make a great game.

Valdívia probably the best player in the tournament so far, some great plays already in this game.

Valdívia probably the best player in the tournament so far, some great plays already in this game.
Yeah, player of the tournament for me so far probably followed by Bolanos. He's started brightly in this game as well.

Dirty cnuts. Worst bit is they are really pushing the weak link: Fucile only started four matches in the entire season :nervous:

Valdívia again with a brilliant dummy :drool: great move, but weak shot by Aránguiz

Dirty cnuts. Worst bit is they are really pushing the weak link: Fucile only started four matches in the entire season :nervous:

Too bad the ref carded Valdívia for the imaginary stamp he was conned into by Giménez and not this arguably malicious intent by Vargas, indeed.

I'm not sober, but it strikes me that a combined XI of these 2 countries would be fantastic:

-------Cavani----------
Sanchez----Suarez---
---Vidal-Aranguiz----
Mena--Medel----Isla--
--Godin-Gimenez---
-------Bravo----------

Uruguay so strong in both boxes and Chile everywhere else

I'm not sober, but it strikes me that a combined XI of these 2 countries would be fantastic:

-------Cavani----------
Sanchez----Suarez---
---Vidal-Aranguiz----
Mena--Medel----Isla--
--Godin-Gimenez---
-------Bravo----------

Uruguay so strong in both boxes and Chile everywhere else

I'd have Arévalo ahead of Medel every day. I'd also drop Cavani for Valdivia and play Suárez upfront. Not ideal, but Cavani has been woeful lately and doesn't warrant inclusion.