Bruno Fernandes Portugal flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Bolded part: where is this based on? Or is it just special effect?
Reports of interest in him this summer and him only getting a new deal if he stayed.

That's completely different discussion though.
The discussion about whether or not this is comparable to De Gea's contract renewal? It's not comparable as De Gea was on the decline before we gave him a new contract. Whereas your point about Bruno having a couple of bad games for United and Portugal isn't proof of Bruno's abilities waning.

I think it's best for the club that Bruno isn't our 5th best earner when you look at who the players ahead of him are. Especially when his salary isn't crazy high to begin with.

I also think it's good to change the culture and prove that hard work and talent pays off.
How is it best for the club to pay Bruno more? Following your logic should we pay Mainoo and Garnacho more as soon as we can too? We want to show hard work and talent pays off right? Whoever plays well this season , we should be happy to give them a pay bump and extension?

Last edited:
For someone who's a sarcastic loser you really type like one too. Get off my dick and go bother someone else little pigeon.
Oh, none of that was sarcasm. I genuinely think you're an aggressive loudmouth who clearly gets pissy and sensitive when folk call you out on it.

Anyway, on to mute you shall go because your incessant whining is pointless.

1. You could argue that Bruno is a little underpaid based on his skills + age.
2. There is no reason for why the top earner at Manchester United should earn less than 300k. You could make an argument for 350k too.

This is not comparable to past mistakes. Bumping Bruno's salary makes far more sense than having Sancho, Rashford and Mount on their crazy salaries.
To me personally, this post embodies, what is wrong with the club. People are acting as if we have to act as a topclub still. No matter what. Even though the preconditions aren't there anymore. Imagine thinking that a player of midtable team on 240k is considered as "a little underpaid" or "the top earner should earn 300k". At some point, we have to realize that the past has gone and our "gestures" and "actings" look pretty hollow.

Nothing against you personally, mate, I mean, at this point we know we won't agree in this thread but I really think, that this mindset is the cause of more bad than good. And for the record, I don't think that Bruno doesn't deserve 240k a week playing for us. I'd say the same thing about 280k as well. But there was no reason to bow to those demands at this point in time. It just looks weak in my eyes. Some people said this is part of negotiations - well, it might be, but in this case, United didn't really do a good job for themselves. Only "positive" thing would be that they prevented that contract to be 5 years long but apart from that, I am pretty sure that Bruno and his people are way more happy about that contract than the folks at United.

Honestly I would've loved to have seen what you were like during the Bryan Robson days. 'This guy was part of a team that finished mid table. He doesn't deserve a new contract. Sell him.' Not everything's that black and white. Bruno still put in some fantastic performances last season despite being surrounded by dross.
We'll never know, wasn't a fan back in the day. And just fyi for this is isn't a situation like "I want him gone because I don't like the look of him". The reason I'd be happy to sell him is that I think, that two young players with modern skillsets even with half of Brunos talent would serve the club better in the long run than having him. And when thats the baseline, it is a just wrong to extend his contract when there wasn't even a necessity to do so.

Btw. lets not get into those "fantastic" performances, feels like words lost all their meaning so there is no point arguing about them.
Reports of interest in him this summer and him only getting a new deal if he stayed.
So a report indicates that he was going? Thats BS isn't it? I mean, he has a contract, United doesn't have to let him go. There was absolutely no chance he'd leave this summer other than for a nice big pile of cash.

Probably the first time I'd agree with such a high paying contract in our club. Hopefully he can continue his fine form from late last season.

Oh, none of that was sarcasm. I genuinely think you're an aggressive loudmouth who clearly gets pissy and sensitive when folk call you out on it.

Anyway, on to mute you shall go because your incessant whining is pointless.
Rule number 1 of internet arguments. If you have to announce you're muting/ignoring someone you've already lost. And I couldn't care less what you think of me little pigeon.

1. You could argue that Bruno is a little underpaid based on his skills + age.
2. There is no reason for why the top earner at Manchester United should earn less than 300k. You could make an argument for 350k too.

This is not comparable to past mistakes. Bumping Bruno's salary makes far more sense than having Sancho, Rashford and Mount on their crazy salaries.
Yeah it's the right way to hand out these contracts compared to what we've done in the past. Top performers earn top wages. It's not rocket science.

To me personally, this post embodies, what is wrong with the club. People are acting as if we have to act as a topclub still. No matter what. Even though the preconditions aren't there anymore. Imagine thinking that a player of midtable team on 240k is considered as "a little underpaid" or "the top earner should earn 300k". At some point, we have to realize that the past has gone and our "gestures" and "actings" look pretty hollow.

Nothing against you personally, mate, I mean, at this point we know we won't agree in this thread but I really think, that this mindset is the cause of more bad than good. And for the record, I don't think that Bruno doesn't deserve 240k a week playing for us. I'd say the same thing about 280k as well. But there was no reason to bow to those demands at this point in time. It just looks weak in my eyes. Some people said this is part of negotiations - well, it might be, but in this case, United didn't really do a good job for themselves. Only "positive" thing would be that they prevented that contract to be 5 years long but apart from that, I am pretty sure that Bruno and his people are way more happy about that contract than the folks at United.

We'll never know, wasn't a fan back in the day. And just fyi for this is isn't a situation like "I want him gone because I don't like the look of him". The reason I'd be happy to sell him is that I think, that two young players with modern skillsets even with half of Brunos talent would serve the club better in the long run than having him. And when thats the baseline, it is a just wrong to extend his contract when there wasn't even a necessity to do so.

Btw. lets not get into those "fantastic" performances, feels like words lost all their meaning so there is no point arguing about them.

So a report indicates that he was going? Thats BS isn't it? I mean, he has a contract, United doesn't have to let him go. There was absolutely no chance he'd leave this summer other than for a nice big pile of cash.
And the club didnt want to sell. His agent was meeting with clubs early in the summer. Its quite obvious the interest in him is why he has a new contract. Especially when immediately after the club briefed he would get a new deal only if he stayed. But of course its all made up and you are right. He was never leaving and the club just gave him a new contract anyway because vibes

He was already staying and we had all the negotiating power. No one else would pay him more and give him the power he has on the pitch that we give him. But just like the old regime they bow to player/agent power and give him a contract that only sancho, rashford and mount are on. I'd rather sell those three players and bring our wage structure into a more reasonable level than add to past mistakes by making a new one.
Why do you think it is player power but club not rewarding the best player? Tell me how many players with similar quality to Bruno in other clubs are paid around 200k?

The discussion about whether or not this is comparable to De Gea's contract renewal? It's not comparable as De Gea was on the decline before we gave him a new contract. Whereas your point about Bruno having a couple of bad games for United and Portugal isn't proof of Bruno's abilities waning.

Yeah, Eriksen not being good enough to replace Bruno isn't discussion about de Gea's contract renewal.

It's clearly more than couple of games, we have finished 8th last season as one of the lowest scoring teams and one that struggles to control games, and Bruno is our most important midfielder, that should tell you something that he is not perfect by any means. Why are you ignoring that his best seasons were immediately after signing for us, he is obviously on decline since then, he is nowhere near at the scoring or assisting rate from that time. He is also quite often poor in big games. There is a reason we are in 8th place in the league, and having overrated players all around over the years hasn't helped, and it's not like he wasn't there for any of our big losses over the years where he was equally shit as others, but two months of good form and people forget it. De Gea was also very overrated by fan base, he wasn't even Spain reserve keeper and we made him the highest paid keeper in the world, one of highest paid players in the world, that was absolutely ridiculous. Just check comments on his contract renewal thread and you'll see that ma y people were happy.

I don't want this to become my criticism of Bruno, but you somehow made me criticise him, even if I think he is our best player in the last 5 years. I just don't think we should be giving out contract like these to players while we are finishing eight, we might save our money because we are obviously struggling with improving the team all over the place even if it means being strict on our best players and not handing our random contract improvements years before his contract is out, this will probably cost us extra 10-13 millions in next three years just on his improved wages.

This is your comment on Rashford's new contract, you don't see anything wrong with it:

I'm not remotely worried about his wages. This isn't a 29 year old De Gea in decline, or a 29 year old Alexis Sanchez in decline. This is a 25 year old Rashford who has had 20+ goal seasons in 3 out of the last 4 years, and is just coming off the back of his best season yet where he was almost single-handedly carrying our goal burden.

As others have already mentioned, it would cost 100m+ to replace him and the chances of his replacement being as productive as him are slim. It's also worth mentioning that out of everyone in our 25-30 man squad, he is in the bottom 2 or 3 players who we should be considering replacing. Anyone suggesting we should've considered selling him/letting him go on a free next summer is most likely trolling.

Last edited:

"People acting like we have to act like a top club".
"We're a mid table club offering 240k wages to a player when there's no need to".
"Selling Bruno and replacing him with two young players with half of Bruno's talent would serve the club better".

Genuine question - do you actually want us to get back to the top and win trophies? Your concern about offering 240k wages to a player when we're "just a mid table club" seems to outweigh your thirst for success. I recall you posting on the Bruno thread less than an hour after our FA Cup victory telling everyone to calm down and reminding us that "it's only one game". Maybe you're just more of a glass-half-full kind of guy, but when you'd rather see our best post-Fergie signing leave (when he's currently showing no signs of declining) so that you can roll the dice and replace him with two raw, young players, I can't help but wonder if you're more interested in getting a new shiny toy than keeping a hold of a proven, quality player.

He is our best player, been our most consistent player and will seemingly do anything for the club. He may sometimes be frustrating but most the time he is playing 3 roles, so I can forgive the odd bad game

We need to build the squad around players like him and his attitude

Yet you keep replying?
Is this some sort of gotcha? You replied to me so that means you care what I think of you? I replied cause he was talking shit and because I wanted to. Hope that helps.
Why do you think it is player power but club not rewarding the best player? Tell me how many players with similar quality to Bruno in other clubs are paid around 200k?
Saka and Rodri are both payed around 200k. I'm sure you could find many more examples if you bothered to do the research.

Deserved. He’s our talisman. If half of the squad was as talented at him up until now, we’d have won more.

He is our best player, been our most consistent player and will seemingly do anything for the club. He may sometimes be frustrating but most the time he is playing 3 roles, so I can forgive the odd bad game

We need to build the squad around players like him and his attitude

Deserved. He’s our talisman. If half of the squad was as talented at him up until now, we’d have won more.

Yes and yes! Been a consistent performer amidst one of the worst times for our club. Great captain and great attitude.

Yeah, Eriksen not being good enough to replace Bruno isn't discussion about de Gea's contract renewal.

It's clearly more than couple of games, we have finished 8th last season as one of the lowest scoring teams and one that struggles to control games, and Bruno is our most important midfielder, that should tell you something that he is not perfect by any means. He is also quite often poor in big games. There is a reason we are in 8th place in the league, and having overrated players all around over the years hasn't helped. De Gea was also very overrated by fan base, he wasn't even Spain reserve keeper and we made him the highest paid keeper in the world, one of highest paid players in the world, that was absolutely ridiculous.

I don't want this ti become my criticism of Bruno, but you somehow made me criticise him, even if I think he is our best player in the last 5 years. I just don't think we should be giving out contract like these to players while we are finishing eight, we might save our money because we are obviously struggling with improving the team all over the place even if it means being strict on our best players and not handing our random contract improvements years before his contract is out, this will probably cost us extra 15 millions in next three years just on his improved wages.
You said "many people wanted Bruno to be dropped last season". I responded with "for who? Eriksen?" It's a fair comment to make, as people love to dig out Bruno but when you ask them to provide an alternative scenario where he's replaced, they either can't provide an answer or their suggested replacements are underwhelming.

The "he's poor in big games" argument just doesn't hold up when you see, for example, his contribution to the FA Cup final or Liverpool games last season. Pretty much every player on the planet isn't amazing in every single big game because those games tend to be tight, cagey affairs. Thierry Henry played in 9 cup finals and scored 0 goals. I guess he wasn't all that then?

As for the argument around us rewarding players who finished 8th - I don't think it's the policy of any PL club to freeze all contract negotiations for 12 months based off a poor league table finish. Last season was a freakish set of circumstances where we had our 6th and 7th choice CBs playing together for large chunks of the season, and no fit LB either. Despite this, Bruno still created more chances than any other player in the PL.

And the club didnt want to sell. His agent was meeting with clubs early in the summer. Its quite obvious the interest in him is why he has a new contract. Especially when immediately after the club briefed he would get a new deal only if he stayed. But of course its all made up and you are right. He was never leaving and the club just gave him a new contract anyway because vibes
Obvious interest doesn't mean that the player can leave the club. I don't know where you are getting at. Even if every club in the world want to buy Bruno and Bruno wants to join all of these clubs, it is Uniteds decision whether they want to sell him or not. No extension necessary at all. So you saying that Bruno was leaving without a new contract isn't correct. The club held all relevant cards.

And what do you mean with "would get a new deal only if he stayed". That doesn't make sense to me. With a new deal obviously he stays. If he leaves he obviously doesn't care about a new deal. Am I missing something?
"People acting like we have to act like a top club".
"We're a mid table club offering 240k wages to a player when there's no need to".
"Selling Bruno and replacing him with two young players with half of Bruno's talent would serve the club better".

Genuine question - do you actually want us to get back to the top and win trophies?
Of course I do. And to me it seems like that the majority of fans, while sharing that goal aren't ready to bite the bullet that most likely is connected to getting back at the best. Look at Brighton, look at Villa - how many of their players are getting huge wages? None of them, yet they were able to perform to a very good level. Look at our bunch - despite those handy wages, they do not perform really well. So there is no direct link between the level of wages you pay and the performance you get for it.
Your concern about offering 240k wages to a player when we're "just a mid table club" seems to outweigh your thirst for success.
I acknowledge that we have limited ressources. And I want the available funds to be as well invested as they can. And that includes not wasting money on increasing players wages when you don't have to.
I recall you posting on the Bruno thread less than an hour after our FA Cup victory telling everyone to calm down and reminding us that "it's only one game".
It was only one game. And while it was a great day for the followers, I didn't feel like we "turned a corner" or something. I was happy about the win, but not as happy as other fans I guess. I can ensure you, I am not as sad or angry when we lose as other fans as well.
Maybe you're just more of a glass-half-full kind of guy, but when you'd rather see our best post-Fergie signing leave (when he's currently showing no signs of declining) so that you can roll the dice and replace him with two raw, young players, I can't help but wonder if you're more interested in getting a new shiny toy than keeping a hold of a proven, quality player.
I want to see the club being successful and given what I witnessed for the last 5 years I think we have to do things very differently than what we did. Bruno is not the future of the team. Rashford isn't as well. I can ensure you, I'd gut that team completely - apart from Mainoo, Amad and Garnacho (and probably Dalot) I have no ties to anyone and would only consider them as way to generate funds and then to start over with a real strategy and plan.

Fyi - I guess the main reason why I am so pissed right now is that I hoped that the new regime wouldn't do such things. But apparently, it is still on the cards. Looking at the transfers and the ones about to join, I am only an Amrabat comeback away from putting my follower-ship on ice for a while.

Bruno has, for the second season in a row, topped the Chances Created table in the league. Would people be so negative if we were talking about Odegaard?

The biggest problem is the players around him being unable to hit a barn door, surely?
Long post alert.....

Biggest problem is the players around him you say :lol:

Bonkers. Bruno in his life as a footballer

He has never been involved in a title race. Never.
He has Never played in a champions league QF game in his career.

This is a player who has never been involved in those high pressure games. And it shows incredibly well here at United when those pressure games come.

Its not about being negative. It's being real and realistic.

I tell you, with utmost certainty that players like
AWB, Sancho, Maguire, Lindelof, Bruno, Shaw, Martial, Lingard, even Rashford, Van de Beek

this are players who will NEVER EVER take you over the line in title winning runs.

Never. They have never done it in their lives and they will never do it even in future.

This is the primary reason

• 1. We have spent so much with nothing to show.
  • 2. We haven't won anything of substance in 11 years.

Let me tell you something that alot of people usually forget

2007 game against Roma (7-1) game..

United progressed to the Semi Final for the first time in 5 years. Since 2002.
That Roma game
  • 1. Carrick scored is first European goal.
  • 2. Ronaldo scored his first Champions League Goal. First. Now he's the record holder.
  • 3. Evra Scored his first European goal for United.

The seeds of great players and great team was being germinated. Eventually in Semi Final Rooney, Ronaldo and Co were unable to get us over the line in Champions League but WE WON THE league after 4 year drought..

But by the virtue of reaching a Semi final, you would tell the team had great players it was just matter of fine tuning the team and the club would be successful.

Both Rooney and Ronaldo were 22 years in 2007.
Evra was 26 years.
Carrick was 26 years.

As you can see, for absolute talents. By age sub 25 years you need to have played in those title winning games, a must. The Rooney, Ronaldo, Mbappe, Messi, Halland are very clear examples. ( Mainoo is going to be in that group).

Remember Aguero taking City over the line in 2012.. He was 24 years in 2012.

Then, with above average talent by age 27-28 years, you need to have been involved in those games.
  • Mane, Salah 26 years in 2018.
  • VvD 27 years in 2018
  • Vidic 26 years in 2007

The minority late boomers are the exceptions like VDS. Who blooms in their 30 years and beyond.

So in conclusion.
Absolute good players are visible by age 22-23.
Great players are making a mark by age 27-28.

Anything above that, you're trying to get lucky and that luck doesn't happen that much.

Do you know why Madrid were able to have sustained success in the last decade...

In 2014 their la decima
  • Di maria was 26 years
  • Bale was 25 years
  • Kross was 24 years
  • Ramos 28 years.

In their 2024 winning team
  • Rodrigo was 23 years
  • Vini was 24 years
  • Bellingham was 21 years.
  • Valverde was 26 years.
  • Camavinga was 21 years.
And how they now the right time to ship players away like Casemiro :lol: Madrid extracted the maximum from him then sold him. When Casemiro was winning 3 champions league on the bounce in 2016 he was 24 years.. Then United bought him when he was 30 years... Madrid continues to win while United have the worst period with Casemiro in the team.

As you can see, by age 26 players should be competing in the highest level.

But at United we have player over 30 years who have never done anything meaningful in their careers but are treated like football royalty.

Just to let you.. Now is when we have truly started to make genuine progress.

• Mainoo was in England mainstay team to final. 21 years in 2024.
  • Garnacho is 20 years.
  • Yoro is 18 years.
  • Hojlund is 21 years
Now add another 2 players of those age, we will be set for the next decade.

Then...
We need to make this players compete in champions league Qf and semi finals games and title races before they reach 25 years, not to win even just being involved. For them to guarantee us success from their age 25 - 32 years.

So the easiest thing to do is, moving on all other players in the team in a planned manner rather than, trying to tie them down

Despite this, Bruno still created more chances than any other player in the PL.
And yet, despite having this gem of a player, 11 out of 20 PL teams had a higher xG than we did, including teams like Everton, Brentford, Bournemouth. As if such a player isn't as integral to the teams output as one would think.

You said "many people wanted Bruno to be dropped last season". I responded with "for who? Eriksen?" It's a fair comment to make, as people love to dig out Bruno but when you ask them to provide an alternative scenario where he's replaced, they either can't provide an answer or their suggested replacements are underwhelming.

People wanting Bruno dropped was a sign that he wasn't performing well. We could have used some other option or formation, I am not going to discuss how we are going to try something else, I am just explaining that he had many poor periods even last season.

The "he's poor in big games" argument just doesn't hold up when you see, for example, his contribution to the FA Cup final or Liverpool games last season. Pretty much every player on the planet isn't amazing in every single big game because those games tend to be tight, cagey affairs. Thierry Henry played in 9 cup finals and scored 0 goals. I guess he wasn't all that then?

Yeah, having 0 goals in 9 finals means that you aren't clutch player when it really means, it can't mean anything else obviously, despite being great otherwise, that's something that will hunt you your entire life when discussing your performances.

I don't think it's the policy of any PL club to freeze all contract negotiations for 12 months based off a poor league table finish. Last season was a freakish set of circumstances where we had our 6th and 7th choice CBs playing together for large chunks of the season, and no fit LB either. Despite this, Bruno still created more chances than any other player in the PL.

You don't have to freeze contract negotiations, but you don't have to improve contracts that are already long term and have option for extending anyway. This is clearly protecting the asset for whatever the reason, for good or bad we don't know yet, we just can discuss it, but based on our previous similar situations, this look quite similar to me. I guess we will see it in 6 or 12 months.

Chances created is the most pointless stat that has Pereira as fifth highest in the premierleague, and Pascal Gross in third. It means that some players take most of their teams set pieces, and play lot of minutes.

And yet, despite having this gem of a player, 11 out of 20 PL teams had a higher xG than we did, including teams like Everton, Brentford, Bournemouth. As if such a player isn't as integral to the teams output as one would think.
For starters - Brentford and Bournemouth both had a centre forward who was capable of getting themselves in good positions to be on the end of those chances. We had a raw Hojlund who would snatch at chances from tight angles, especially during his first few months.

Secondly, if any of those teams signed Bruno then their xG would be even higher and ours would be even lower, so that isn't as smart of a point as you think it is.

I have never understood the hate for Bruno by our own supporters. He’s remained loyal to a club that was an absolute mess, has played under 4 different managers (Carrick interim included) and still produces in big moments. Honestly where would we be without him? For a midfielder he puts up very good numbers, creates opportunities and actually plays for the badge.

his previous contract expired in 2026 so he'd be 31
Bruno is Born 1994.

By 2026 we would be 32 years. We have taken him to 2027 now. He will be 33 years.
With an option to take it to 2028. When he will be 34 years in 2028 :lol: :lol:.

Bonkers. Really no matter how you look at it.

Bruno is Born 1994.

By 2026 we would be 32 years. We have taken him to 2027 now. He will be 33 years.
With an option to take it to 2028. When he will be 34 years in 2028 :lol: :lol:.

Options do not have to be taken up you know.

The offside goal was definitely class and the reliability of some of his long balls was pretty good as well but honestly, stunning isn't the word I'd use. I just don't see it.

If it was De Bryune or Rodri doing the same thing, you’d be creaming your pants…

Delighted! Been our best player in my view for a number of years. Yes cries foul a number of times but I see that as someone will do anything to win. Hopefully we go on and win bigger trophies, he deserves them.

Bruno is Born 1994.

I didn’t know football careers or life generally ended after 30…

Mate I admire your perseverance but you are simply fighting a losing battle , I thought new management would have had higher wits about them but alas it's same old same old .

Options do not have to be taken up you know.
I know, but the club is committing itself to it on paper. We should have let his current contract to run out. Now we have committed more money to a 30 year guy till he's 33 years when we had a cheaper contract for the 30 year old till he was 32 years.

Doesn't make sense no matter how you look at it.

So what are we rewarding with the new more pay and longer tenure ? We never learn. This is the first mistep from Ineos.

Bruno is Born 1994.

nope he would be 31 when it would have ended in 2026

not 33 as you stated

Based on what? Sounds plausible and fits your opinion or anything else?
Based on Bruno having the highest expected assists out of anyone in the PL two thirds of the way through the season.

(I'm not sure if he ended up finishing top of the XA list after the final gameweek of the season, but you'd imagine he'd still be in the top 3).

I didn’t know football careers or life generally ended after 30…
Coping mechanism. :lol: :lol:. United fans have developed some of the most brilliant coping mechanism

We are here, inshallah by 2028 it will be De Gea and Casemiro situation again. Time is the best decider of things. Let's wait.