Bruno Fernandes Portugal flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
We already had him tied down and we already gave him a pay rise. People are essentially celebrating an extra year and paying 30% more in wages for the next 4 years.:rolleyes:
Im not sure what his payrise is. People are celebrating one of the best players in the league is staying. If we didnt give him a new contract he would have left this summer. Given the rebuild the right choice at this moment was to keep him. I didn't think so earlier in the summer but after thought this is absolutely clear. We had to keep him

100%

Never injured, best baller we have. Losing him would have been disastrous
Fans on here dislike him. But it’s always been with our talisman. Ruud, Ronaldo, Rooney. They were our best players but are disliked by parts of the fanbase. Be it ego, the amount they lose the ball or something. Always has haters.

You do realize you can state that you don't agree with people's opinions without calling them morons...
I was calling the people who gave him the extention morons before another poster tried some indirect shade so I just responded in kind.

I understand some of your frustrations but just on that bolded point - we would've finished lower than 8th were it not for Bruno. See Crystal Palace away.
And would have made it any difference in the grand scheme of things? Would the campaign be worse had we gotten 11th or 13th? And do you really think securing an 8th place warrants players earning more than 240k per week?

Fans on here dislike him. But it’s always been with our talisman. Ruud, Ronaldo, Rooney. They were our best players but are disliked by parts of the fanbase. Be it ego, the amount they lose the ball or something. Always has haters.
Truth

Also judging by this thread, still more people appreciate him, as we should.

He's our best player, I don't understand why some people hate him so much.

Sure, he can be frustrating and he has bad games, but tell me a player that's not true for? Cristiano in his prime could disappear, even when scoring 40 goals a season. Rooney and Keane got sent off needlessly a fair few times each and put the team at a disadvantage. Canton probably cost us a league title after his Kung Fu kick, and you could argue Ferdinand did the same when he missed that drugs test. All club legends.

I think the main difference for Bruno is that we used to win titles back then, so it was easier to overlook. That's not his fault though, he's been more than good enough to be part of a title winning team during his time in England.

Im not sure what his payrise is. People are celebrating one of the best players in the league is staying. If we didnt give him a new contract he would have left this summer. Given the rebuild the right choice at this moment was to keep him. I didn't think so earlier in the summer but after thought this is absolutely clear. We had to keep him
Bolded part: where is this based on? Or is it just special effect?

He was already staying and we had all the negotiating power. No one else would pay him more and give him the power he has on the pitch that we give him. But just like the old regime they bow to player/agent power and give him a contract that only sancho, rashford and mount are on. I'd rather sell those three players and bring our wage structure into a more reasonable level than add to past mistakes by making a new one.

Utterly bonkers to give him a new contract when his existing one doesn’t run out until he’s 33!

His last contract renewal was in April 2022.

From that period, to date..

We have had the worst period in United history in PL. Scoring sub 60 goals :lol: :lol:
Having - goal difference

But we renew and increase salaries to players for what really?

As I said, we pay Premium cost to receive average / mediocre services.
We are one of the highest wage bill payers, but we have never been involved in a title race in 11 years, never played in a Champions League Quarter Final Game since 2014 ( during Moyes period)

As you can see, we pay so much and get so little in return.

One of the first missteps from Ineos.
For ETH his contract extension was necessary for football contiunity and it's was just 1 year trigger. If the manager who oversaw the worst finishes in United PL history didn't get an salary increase how comes players who played part in that period are getting new bumper contracts?

his previous contract expired in 2026 so he'd be 31

He was already staying and we had all the negotiating power. No one else would pay him more and give him the power he has on the pitch that we give him. But just like the old regime they bow to player/agent power and give him a contract that only sancho, rashford and mount are on. I'd rather sell those three players and bring our wage structure into a more reasonable level than add to past mistakes by making a new one.

1. You could argue that Bruno is a little underpaid based on his skills + age.
2. There is no reason for why the top earner at Manchester United should earn less than 300k. You could make an argument for 350k too.

This is not comparable to past mistakes. Bumping Bruno's salary makes far more sense than having Sancho, Rashford and Mount on their crazy salaries.

And would have made it any difference in the grand scheme of things? Would the campaign be worse had we gotten 11th or 13th? And do you really think securing an 8th place warrants players earning more than 240k per week?
Some of them yes, if we had more players with the drive, determination and willingness to win as Bruno then we would be much higher up the table. His main drawbacks are his moaning and the fact he tries to do so much all over the pitch it affects us up top to some degree. With the new signings we’ve made I’m hoping Bruno focuses on staying upfield, creating and scoring.

1. You could argue that Bruno is a little underpaid based on his skills + age.
2. There is no reason for why the top earner at Manchester United should earn less than 300k. You could make an argument for 350k too.

This is not comparable to past mistakes. Bumping Bruno's salary makes far more sense than having Sancho, Rashford and Mount on their crazy salaries.
These are arguments Brunos agent might make. I'd except the club to have better counter arguments especially under a new regime.

Excellent news and a big relief. I'd heard quite credible rumblings that he was planning on leaving if the club didn't make some good moves this summer. He's obviously been convinced by what he's seen so far.

Now I can actually start to look forward to this season.

I don't know what you're talking about in the ETH thread but suck off Bruno to your hearts content little pigeon. Forcibly tell everyone is hilarious. It's a post that goes against the majority opinion snowflake, no one is stopping you from continuing to be a pedantic sycophant.
You're desperate for folk to be as miserable as you are. Good luck with that.

These are arguments Brunos agent might make. I'd except the club to have better counter arguments especially under a new regime.

Well your argument is basically: "Listen 'ere Bruno.. We got your BAWLS in a VICE-GRIP! We got you looked down for 2 more years! Watcha gonna do about it, huh?! You shouldn't have accepted the previous contract, you idiot!"

A salary bump and contract extension to please a player is not always the wrong move. In this case it makes sense. Especially if you want to communicate that hard work and talent pays off. I would certainly welcome that culture change.

Honestly I would've loved to have seen what you were like during the Bryan Robson days. 'This guy was part of a team that finished mid table. He doesn't deserve a new contract. Sell him.' Not everything's that black and white. Bruno still put in some fantastic performances last season despite being surrounded by dross.

Meritocracy. Reward the players who actually earn the rewards.

You're desperate for folk to be as miserable as you are. Good luck with that.
I'm not desperate or miserable just because I don't think Bruno is as good as you think and don't think he deserves a pay rise/contract extension. But go ahead and keep fantasizing about how other people are little pigeon.

I'm not desperate or miserable just because I don't think Bruno is as good as you think and don't think he deserves a pay rise/contract extension. But go ahead and keep fantasizing about how other people are little pigeon.
For someone who is an aggressive loudmouth all the time you don't half get sensitive when folk call you out for doing it.

He's our best player, I don't understand why some people hate him so much.

Sure, he can be frustrating and he has bad games, but tell me a player that's not true for? Cristiano in his prime could disappear, even when scoring 40 goals a season. Rooney and Keane got sent off needlessly a fair few times each and put the team at a disadvantage. Canton probably cost us a league title after his Kung Fu kick, and you could argue Ferdinand did the same when he missed that drugs test. All club legends.

I think the main difference for Bruno is that we used to win titles back then, so it was easier to overlook. That's not his fault though, he's been more than good enough to be part of a title winning team during his time in England.

Same here.

The best thing about Bruno is that he doesnt depend on his pace to be effective.

Not really. He is the first player that you can argue, has performed for us, unlike Martial, Jones, Lindelof, and whoever else got their contract extended.

De Gea and Rashford were equally important(arguably even more) than him at the time of their renewal. And younger too.

Think he will be on 300k+ now, and I dont think giving him such a long term contract is a good move. Great player, but I'm wary. He's flawed, and I was hoping we could cash out. Oh well.

Gonna be an unpopular opinion after a brilliant game, but he's gonna have games where he's gonna frustatingly keep losing the ball in midfield. Anyway, lets hope for the best.
It's a 3 year deal not a 5 year one. Don't see this as long term, and he's definitely earned it.

Salary I'm unsure on, but if anyone deserves that wage it's him.

Of all the players we’ve signed to new contracts over the last decade, he actually fecking deserves it.

Whatever flaws you think he may have, he’s the best outfield player we’ve had since the SAF era. By some distance.

De Gea and Rashford were equally important(arguably even more) than him at the time of their renewal. And younger too.
De Gea was already noticeably on the decline before we gave him the new contract. Bruno is currently showing no signs of declining.

Well your argument is basically: "Listen 'ere Bruno.. We got your BAWLS in a VICE-GRIP! We got you looked down for 2 more years! Watcha gonna do about it, huh?! You shouldn't have accepted the previous contract, you idiot!"

A salary bump and contract extension to please a player is not always the wrong move. In this case it makes sense. Especially if you want to communicate that hard work and talent pays off. I would certainly welcome that culture change.
Your first paragraph is creative writing that even the pigeon would probably not claim. I'd argue that a salary bump and contract extension to please a player is more likely than not a bad move. I'd rather the club not make emotional decisions.

They could say things like:

1)We're coming off our worst ever PL season. Now is not the time for pay bumps.

2) You were awful for most of last season

3) You haven't played better since your last pay increase, in fact you've played worse

4) you will be the highest player in the team soon, we have plans to remove all the players payed more than you or renegotiate their contracts.

Etc etc.

Not gee Bruno thanks so much for playing for us, what more can we do for you?

I get that he can be frustrating at times but he's clearly our best player and we'd be much worse without him. I don't think people realise how much worse the last few seasons would have been without his contributions.

For someone who is an aggressive loudmouth all the time you don't half get sensitive when folk call you out for doing it.
For someone who's a sarcastic loser you really type like one too. Get off my dick and go bother someone else little pigeon.

Your first paragraph is creative writing that even the pigeon would probably not claim. I'd argue that a salary bump and contract extension to please a player is more likely than not a bad move. I'd rather the club not make emotional decisions.

They could say things like:

1)We're coming off our worst ever PL season. Now is not the time for pay bumps.

2) You were awful for most of last season

3) You haven't played better since your last pay increase, in fact you've played worse

4) you will be the highest player in the team soon, we have plans to remove all the players payed more than you or renegotiate their contracts.

Etc etc.

Not gee Bruno thanks so much for playing for us, what more can we do for you?

1) Mostly irrelevant

2) False

3) Debatable

4) How soon is soon? 1 year is optimistic. 2 years is long in football, especially for a player close to 30.

De Gea was already noticeably on the decline before we gave him the new contract. Bruno is currently showing no signs of declining.

Bruno was far from amazing for almost a season apart from last few months of the season that he finished very strongly. 2/3 of his last season were very inconsistent and many people wanted him dropped. He also had poor Euros too, he was just another player for Portugal, did nothing.

Saying that, he was amazing player for us in general. But de Gea's contract was running out and we needed to extend, unlike Bruno's.

1) Mostly irrelevant

2) False

3) Debatable

4) How soon is soon? 1 year is optimistic. 2 years is long in football, especially for a player close to 30.
Ok Brunos agent. Your two points were highly debatable at best too. But I'd expect nothing less from fans that care more about individual players than what's best for the club as a whole.

Bruno was far from amazing for almost a season apart from last few months of the season that he finished very strongly. 2/3 of his last season were very inconsistent and many people wanted him dropped. He also had poor Euros too, he was just another player for Portugal, did nothing.

Saying that, he was amazing player for us in general. But de Gea's contract was running out and we needed to extend, unlike Bruno's.
A few people on the caf may have wanted him dropped last season, but for who? Eriksen?! Even when Bruno's having a bad game, it's still worth keeping him on the pitch because he's more likely to produce a moment of magic than anyone else.

we have plans to remove all the players payed more than you or renegotiate their contracts.

So not only is Bruno unhappy because he's not getting the pay rise he wants, Casemiro, Rashford, Sancho and Mount are also unhappy because the club is openly promising other players they'll soon be sold or have their wages cut. Even though neither of those options are something the club has power to do without those players' agreement. Something Bruno will be aware of even as the club is promising him that's their plan.

No issues there.

Ok Brunos agent. Your two points were highly debatable at best too. But I'd expect nothing less from fans that care more about individual players than what's best for the club as a whole.

I think it's best for the club that Bruno isn't our 5th best earner when you look at who the players ahead of him are. Especially when his salary isn't crazy high to begin with.

I also think it's good to change the culture and prove that hard work and talent pays off.

A few people on the caf may have wanted him dropped last season, but for who? Eriksen?! Even when Bruno's having a bad game, it's still worth keeping him on the pitch because he's more likely to produce a moment of magic than anyone else.

That's completely different discussion though.

So not only is Bruno unhappy because he's not getting the pay rise he wants, Casemiro, Rashford, Sancho and Mount are also unhappy because the club is openly promising other players they'll soon be sold or have their wages cut. Even though neither of those options are something the club has power to do without those players' agreement. Something Bruno will be aware of even as the club is promising him that's their plan.

No issues there.
Contract negotiations are private. It's something that can easily be said in a negotiating scenario without upsetting other players.