Bruno Fernandes Portugal flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Without Bruno that United team is rather toothless, I think you have to live with some frustrating moments in order to get the brilliant from Bruno.
I'd much rather have him in the side than not.

When you spam as many long fancy passes as he does, you will come up with some great assists. He's a really low-percentage player.
What vexes me is the number of passes he hits in hope. He plays like a kid. And when things are not going well, he gets emotional and becomes worse.
I won't get tired of saying it, he's a poor playmaker. In a team trying to keep the ball and patiently break teams down, he's a fecking liability because game control is alien to him.
Before the summer started, I said if we could take big money for him, we should take it. Now that's long gone. What is making this season worse is that he's missing great chances and it's killing us.

Had a look at his moments in the game last night, and it was really poor. Apart from not creating much, and missing the big chance on the rebound - he also lost the ball trying to beat his man with a trick at least 4 times, over hit his Hollywood passes 5 times, crossed straight to the keepers arms 3 times, and lost the ball by falling on the floor at least 3 times.

This is not the Bruno that came to this country. and found a way to be efficient. Somehow he seems to be trying too much - and not playing with the calmness he did when he came. Perhaps making him captain wasn't the right decision and it has been counter-productive for him. Would be interesting if someone who's good with stats can compare his overall performance metrics at United between his joining, and becoming capital and then since he became captain. Should be interesting to watch.

He's an easy punching bag because he lost the ball thirty-four f*cking times in 90 minutes of football. He should be sponsored by Lonsdale.
Did he lose it 34 times? That also feels like an exaggerated claim.
This is bull, sorry but it is.

He is not a punching bag, the real point is we like good football and in my belief we can't play the patterns we need to control the ball with Bruno sadly, and I'm not digging him out at all, he has been the BEST player in our counter attacking team for ages.

If we want to change we need to control the ball, if not.. look at De Gea for an example - his short to mid passing was crap (all his passing was crap). But you don't change GK,RB,CB,CB,CDM,CM,CM,RW,CF without looking and thinking... hhhmmm
Our only attackers that can really do that are Eriksen, Mount, Antony, Amad and Zirzkee. Their output is crap though. That's fine if you want to play that style, but we don't have players in our squad conducive to that who will actually score enough. Like it or not, Bruno still is good at turnovers and more creative than anyone in the squad and the idea of we just get of rid him and all of sudden we control games is naive. We also lose a lot too.
Bruno is an incredibly high usage player, we've essentially built around him, he has the license to do whatever he wants, so no, he's not gaslighting at all, he's right. Bruno is incredibly wasteful with constant turnovers & possession losses, he's not conducive to a possession based style, he has temperament issues when things aren't going his way (often) and he has no real defensive value. His output is not impressive, given how much usage and freedom he has.

I admire the guy for certain things, he's always available, he has character, seems good for dressing room and he's capable of special moments time to time. But the love fest needs to stop, he has been holding back this team on the pitch and we need to move on if we are to progress as a team.
It's gaslighting to pretend he give us little output for all the chaos. We don't play a possession based style though, because we don't have the players in our squad.

It's not a love fest, it's a hate fest and that's what I'm rallying against. The idea that he's stopping us from being successful is ridiculous - he has flaws and strengths, like all players.

When you spam as many long fancy passes as he does, you will come up with some great assists. He's a really low-percentage player.
What vexes me is the number of passes he hits in hope. He plays like a kid. And when things are not going well, he gets emotional and becomes worse.
I won't get tired of saying it, he's a poor playmaker. In a team trying to keep the ball and patiently break teams down, he's a fecking liability because game control is alien to him.
Before the summer started, I said if we could take big money for him, we should take it. Now that's long gone. What is making this season worse is that he's missing great chances and it's killing us.

Agreed. The way he uses outside of his foot for crosses and shooting are very strange, they hardly ever come off. Also in situations where he uses his left foot for long passes but failed when he has plenty of time to execute on his right.

What makes it even more frustrating is that his short passes are just as bad at times.

He looks so rushed all the time. Too quick to pass and therefor very sloppy. It’s also confusing how bad he is when under pressure. For someone with his technique, you’d expect better? Still waiting for him to turn up..

Agreed. The way he uses outside of his foot for crosses and shooting are very strange, they hardly ever come off. Also in situations where he uses his left foot for long passes but failed when he has plenty of time to execute on his right.

What makes it even more frustrating is that his short passes are just as bad at times.
I kid you not, there was a period early in the second half when he gave the ball away three times in under a minute. It's ridiculous.

Without Bruno that United team is rather toothless, I think you have to live with some frustrating moments in order to get the brilliant from Bruno.
Exactly. If everyone else was firing and he was just giving it away, I get the argument. That's just not the case though.

I kid you not, there was a period early in the second half when he gave the ball away three times in under a minute. It's ridiculous.
Yes and I recall similar situation in the 1st half too.

It was a real shame Mount has got injured as he genuinely looked really good and let’s hope he stays fit now and challenges for his place this season.

Him losing the ball was always a thing that we kind of needed to accept as he was a creative force. It was our team strength so we had to play this card.

This is not the case anymore. We've plenty of talent and skills throughout the team that we can move towards more controlled style of play. The question is now if he can can still contribute to a degree that it makes sense to keep him in the team. He is a passenger now.
It really is crazy. He's playing in the position that requires the most technically. Players in that position are usually amazing in possession and only give it away when trying something really difficult. Imagine if Bergkamp couldn't keep hold of the ball and kept missing 10 yard passes.

Or control the ball and have a nice 1v1 with the keeper. Shooting from there, with that technique, made absolutely no sense other than him being on a ego trip
He knew the defender would catch him up because he has no speed or strength. To be fair to him he does know his limitations and makes the very most of his abilities.

Our only attackers that can really do that are Eriksen, Mount, Antony, Amad and Zirzkee. Their output is crap though. That's fine if you want to play that style, but we don't have players in our squad conducive to that who will actually score enough. Like it or not, Bruno still is good at turnovers and more creative than anyone in the squad and the idea of we just get of rid him and all of sudden we control games is naive. We also lose a lot too.

I'm not saying he a not creative and doesn't score goals. All I'm saying is that there is a cost to his style of play and if we want to change our style to more of a control based game not a counter attacking then I think we might need to drop him. I'm not saying he's done or even crap - he is clearly a good player.

I just want to see this team without him for a couple of games.

Did he lose it 34 times? That also feels like an exaggerated claim.
It's not and he's probably lucky it's not more considering how many underhit and overhit passes that found their target he made yesterday.

I've never criticized Bruno before, but this performance was shocking. Still I'm sure he will improve very soon, and all the talks about selling him are laughable.

There were a lot of posters in here who insisted on not selling him below £150m. You couldn't even make a case for that in his prime, let alone when he is 30. Genuinely mad. For all the good he has done for us and capable of brilliance, he is not that good. It is time we move on, I'm tired of these performances now.

No, without Eriksen we are toothless. Without Eriksen and with Bruno we are useless.

Had a look at his moments in the game last night, and it was really poor. Apart from not creating much, and missing the big chance on the rebound - he also lost the ball trying to beat his man with a trick at least 4 times, over hit his Hollywood passes 5 times, crossed straight to the keepers arms 3 times, and lost the ball by falling on the floor at least 3 times.

This is not the Bruno that came to this country. and found a way to be efficient. Somehow he seems to be trying too much - and not playing with the calmness he did when he came. Perhaps making him captain wasn't the right decision and it has been counter-productive for him. Would be interesting if someone who's good with stats can compare his overall performance metrics at United between his joining, and becoming capital and then since he became captain. Should be interesting to watch.

I was confused by the (failed) attempts to take people on. It’s almost as if he sees the praise Mainoo gets and decided he wants a piece of that. Never been his game…what a frustrating performance.

First half he was good though should've shown far more experience and composure for his effort that crashed the bar.
2nd half though, he was awful. He loses his composure when things don't go great. His lack of patience was a issue yesterday.

That's not down to the players we have at our disposal, that's down to the style of play we've played for years and us insisting on making most of our attack to go through one player. We should never have made Bruno out to be this footballing God and the talisman of our team. He was never that good. Unless you're Messi, Neymar, Ronaldinho, Kaka, Salah then you don't build the team around one player. It has to be played as a team, which is why teams like Aston Villa and Newcastle can create so many chances and score so much without their Bruno. They don't have better players than us other than having a better forward, so how do they do it? They just play simple football and involve the team, play it out wide, through the centre, cut backs. Simple goals and effective football without trying to make as much YouTube highlights content as often as possible. And to posters that say we can't do it with Bruno, you're wrong. We could, but it is too late now after having allowed him to play like this for years.

Fernandes of about 18 months ago, perhaps. He’s regressing from game to game and it’s only going to get worse.

Was really poor but for me it’s difficult to go too far with him, his outputs are far in excess of any other player in our squad but we could have really done with a moment of magic from him yesterday.

I find most of the discussion on Fernandes very generous and forgiving. You can’t play top 6 football with a midfielder that gives the ball away that much.

People talk about his chance creation as though he has some unique Midas touch- he doesn’t.

16 teams played yesterday, 5 scored 3 goals, 7 scored 1 and 4 didn’t score. Every week other teams score goals without tolerating this wastefulness with possession. It’s outrageous we have spent so much and struggle so often to score. But Bruno is part of the problem not part of the solution.

What? Since when has Eriksen become an important player for us? This seems extremely knee-jerky.
Since Bruno stopped being productive. Eriksen is the brain of this outfit, until we find a new one in summer. Bruno lost his sometime in 2022.

Since Bruno stopped being productive. Eriksen is the brain of this outfit, until we find a new one in summer. Bruno lost his sometime in 2022.
Bruno hasn't stopped being productive though and certainly hasn't been unproductive since 2022. Eriksen has only really showed he's any good against poor opposition and he's not the creator.

I am a big Bruno fan but there but there were 10 minutes or so in that 2nd half where he just gave ball after ball away so cheaply , I know he is the captain but someone on the team should have pulled him aside and told him to sort himself out or ETH should have just hauled him off.

I love Bruno, but can you imagine Rooney or Giggs missing a chance like that, because that's the status he has in this squad in terms of quality and experience, and he's falling well short sadly. If the young lads are missing chances left right, and centre you'd hope your more experienced heads can do better.

Without Bruno starting yesterday also Garnacho we win C. Palace easy.

Walk with me.

I mean, thier constant and penchant nack for loosing the ball under less pressure or making poor decisions almost everytime constantly puts the team in a position where we are always trying to rebuild and string together some good moves.

I mean their attitude on the pitch is a net negative.. No wonder we fell like a pack of cards once Eriksen and Amad went off.

I say bin him the next available window also take him off once we are not in the lead by the 60 hour mark.

I love Bruno, but can you imagine Rooney or Giggs missing a chance like that, because that's the status he has in this squad in terms of quality and experience, and he's falling well short sadly. If the young lads are missing chances left right, and centre you'd hope your more experienced heads can do better.
He deserves criticism for missing his chances, but as Keane always says, it's a team game. If everyone else is missing their chances too, you can't just say Bruno has to take his and the others are allowed to miss as they're young. They all have to be better and help each other out.

I am a big Bruno fan but there but there were 10 minutes or so in that 2nd half where he just gave ball after ball away so cheaply , I know he is the captain but someone on the team should have pulled him aside and told him to sort himself out or ETH should have just hauled him off.

I think it was longer than 10 minutes and it was an absolutely hopeless spell. It’s very hard to win a football match when a key player literally can’t do anything right during an important period of the game. And a manager has to react to what’s happening and make the right substitutions. The fact that Beuno played the full 90 minutes yesterday was ridiculous.

, I know he is the captain but someone on the team should have pulled him aside and told him to sort himself
This is the part I find weird. No one seems to be able to get hold of him. He plays like he’s not accountable.

He deserves criticism for missing his chances, but as Keane always says, it's a team game. If everyone else is missing their chances too, you can't just say Bruno has to take his and the others are allowed to miss as they're young. They all have to be better and help each other out.

It's not a team game if one player is the only one never held accountable for it and never taken off. That's favoritism.

I find most of the discussion on Fernandes very generous and forgiving. You can’t play top 6 football with a midfielder that gives the ball away that much.

People talk about his chance creation as though he has some unique Midas touch- he doesn’t.

16 teams played yesterday, 5 scored 3 goals, 7 scored 1 and 4 didn’t score. Every week other teams score goals without tolerating this wastefulness with possession. It’s outrageous we have spent so much and struggle so often to score. But Bruno is part of the problem not part of the solution.
There’s a strange implication that if we bench him or remove him from the side we would be entirely bereft of any sort of creativity and the squad would cease to stop scoring goals. (We don’t really score any with him anyway, but that’s another point)

As your post alludes to — it never works like that in practice, and other players pick up the vacant traits in a players absence.

Short memories, Rooney was equally as frustrating at times, Giggs also missed some howlers in his time.. honestly, acting like other players were perfect isn't helping.

It's not a team game if one player is the only one never held accountable for it and never taken off. That's favoritism.
He got taken off against Brighton and I personally thought that was a mistake at the time. If we had a creative or goal threat from midfield player on the bench, then fine. We just don't have that though. A half fit Mount isn't exactly an inspiring sub.

Short memories, Rooney was equally as frustrating at times, Giggs also missed some howlers in his time.. honestly, acting like other players were perfect isn't helping.

Sorry, what? That's just nonsense. I'm not saying they've never missed chances, but looking at the wider picture they'd come up with a goal when others are struggling more often or not.