Bruno Fernandes Portugal flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
He's been shite for a long time for us especially this season.

Why are we accommodating players? Eriksen is the best 10 right now.

We should be dropping Bruno for Eriksen

He's not disciplined enough with the ball for us to sustain attacks

5 poor games on the trot since he got his new deal. I keep hoping he somehow proves he's worth it, but he hasn't. And when we're having to be patient and slowly gain momentum back in a game he goes and fecks things up with smashing the ball way back to their keeper with very low percentage passes.

You can't accuse people of gaslighting and then just do it yourself. You can just look at his stats (assists, xA, etc.) and know what you're saying is objectively false.

Bruno is an easy punching bag, but our wingers today have never scored 10 league goals in a season and our striker only scored 11 last season. Our best goalscorer in recent history came on and was dross. We need to stop relying on Bruno and when he doesn't perform, throw the baby out with the bath water.

He's an easy punching bag because he lost the ball thirty-four f*cking times in 90 minutes of football. He should be sponsored by Lonsdale.

You can't accuse people of gaslighting and then just do it yourself. You can just look at his stats (assists, xA, etc.) and know what you're saying is objectively false.

Bruno is an easy punching bag, but our wingers today have never scored 10 league goals in a season and our striker only scored 11 last season. Our best goalscorer in recent history came on and was dross. We need to stop relying on Bruno and when he doesn't perform, throw the baby out with the bath water.
This is bull, sorry but it is.

He is not a punching bag, the real point is we like good football and in my belief we can't play the patterns we need to control the ball with Bruno sadly, and I'm not digging him out at all, he has been the BEST player in our counter attacking team for ages.

If we want to change we need to control the ball, if not.. look at De Gea for an example - his short to mid passing was crap (all his passing was crap). But you don't change GK,RB,CB,CB,CDM,CM,CM,RW,CF without looking and thinking... hhhmmm

He needs to be dropped. I have been saying this for years now.

He is capable of moments of brilliance – but these come at the cost of us having a team who is able to build upon possession and control games.

I said at the time that I wished Mata had been given a chance at 10 instead of Bruno – and we have players now who would be better there.

I actually do not mind him trying some of his more risky passes – but he seems to lose possession constantly even without trying them.

It frustrates me no end how many times he is passed the ball in a midfield position...and instantly passes it straight backwards. Surely he should be able to receive the ball and take it forward...like Mainoo is able to??

But he seems incapable of doing this.

Plus he should have scored today – no idea why he tried to make it more difficult for himself.

This is bull, sorry but it is.

He is not a punching bag, the real point is we like good football and in my belief we can't play the patterns we need to control the ball with Bruno sadly, and I'm not digging him out at all, he has been the BEST player in our counter attacking team for ages.

If we want to change we need to control the ball, if not.. look at De Gea for an example - his short to mid passing was crap (all his passing was crap). But you don't change GK,RB,CB,CB,CDM,CM,CM,RW,CF without looking and thinking... hhhmmm
Do Portugal play a possession game or a counter attack game?
Intriguing to see what the answer is here....

Fecking infuriating the amount of times he's given the ball away today. And as many people said already, it was not even due to him trying to create something. A lot of them were misplaced short passes and passes that didn't have the right weight on them. Bruno was atrocious today. It was bonkers that ETH didn't substitute him.

Why have Mount on the bench and don't use your 5 substitutions when someone on the pitch is stinking the place out. After subbing off Eriksen, Amad and Zirkzee we reverted to hoof ball of which he was a huge contributor.

Barely created anything in those last 15-20mins as we were more concerned with hoofing it up. As a captain, he should have been the one to keep composure and try to create something but his first instinct of hoofing it takes over.

Also, not sure what's up this season but he's holding on to the ball a lot longer than required that it ends up with him in trouble. I don't know whats the thinking behind that as I don't see other players doing it so it's not a tactical thing.

Just like with Rashford that new contract is looking like a bad decision. We'll be laboured with him if this continues.

He's a swashbuckler, he's a renegade, he lives on the edge, he's balls to the wall, he's all action.

He's everything you don't want in a creator if you want to be a successful side these days.

He's been shite for a long time for us especially this season.

Why are we accommodating players? Eriksen is the best 10 right now.

We should be dropping Bruno for Eriksen

He's not disciplined enough with the ball for us to sustain attacks
I cannot believe we force players into positions that they are not suited for just to accommodate Bruno – but then on top of that...even if he is having a shocker, he seems immune to being subbed!

A lot of gaslighting on this thread. Bruno's been septic for at least 2 or 3 seasons now. Constantly loses the ball in good positions, trying to do stupid Hollywood passes when a simpler, more effective pass is the better option.

And of course, in the 1 every 10 games where one of these Hollywood passes eventually comes off, his defenders will come on here saying "see, that's what Bruno brings to the team!". Oh, big f**king whoopdie-doo.

I don't know of another so-called top club and manager would tolerate it, but we're supposed to suck it up or else we're not Top Reds.
Spot on, the gaslighting on here from his fanboys is becoming absolutely ridiculous, especially after the form he has been on this season :lol: They try to guilt you for not being a proper fan or a "top red", using the classic "these fans would have been fed up with Fergie too" :lol:

It's gotten absurd, I've never seen this much blind fanboyism and defending for a player who has accomplished nothing really in his time here or his career in general. One of the most overrated footballers of all time.

Westbrook really is the best comp. A floor raiser who gets you to a certain level through sheet volume but ultimately isn't designed to win leagues because he's too inefficient.
Prime Westbrook was still a much better player in his sport, respectively. But I get the comparison.

Bruno is an incredibly high usage player, we've essentially built around him, he has the license to do whatever he wants, so no, he's not gaslighting at all, he's right. Bruno is incredibly wasteful with constant turnovers & possession losses, he's not conducive to a possession based style, he has temperament issues when things aren't going his way (often) and he has no real defensive value. His output is not impressive, given how much usage and freedom he has.

I admire the guy for certain things, he's always available, he has character, seems good for dressing room and he's capable of special moments time to time. But the love fest needs to stop, he has been holding back this team on the pitch and we need to move on if we are to progress as a team.

Also, as one of the senior most attacker in the team he needs to take more responsibility in scoring goals. Twice he's wasted good chances against Fulham and now again today he wasted two very good opportunities. The other young attackers need support around them and then we have Bruno and Rashford(not today) wasting chances as the two most senior attackers in the team.

We are fecked again by a shit player wearing an armband. If anything ETH should be sacked for playing him all the time. Bruno Fernandes is easily a bench /impact player.
Not up to the standard of starting Manchester United player. The number of times he loses the ball is astonishing, and his finishing, decision making is beyond ridiculous.

Just play Rashfrod and Fernandes off the bench and if they dont improve, sell them. Simple as that. Any functional player in the middle and we might be winning game like this.

Just needs to be dropped simple, the coach needs to grow a pair and tell him he needs a rest and earn his place back as he’s not doing what the club need him to score and assist?

captain's armband curse. New contract's curse?
Or maybe not. He's been shit for far too long.

He wants to be put in the same creators bracket as De Bruyne, but.

The one stark difference between them is that De Bruyne knows when to play the pass, wheatear its short, long, behind etc.

You can see him make 4, 5, 6 simple passes in the opposition third until he sees an opening worthy of a pass, where Bruno always plays like he has 2 touch rule in training, it looks forced in most instances.

This is truly costing us during games, again and again, as he is our creator of good, but also creator of chaos by simply giving the ball away too fast, where De Bruyne plays the extra simple passes. Bruno seems incapable of reading WHEN to speed things up, and when to slow it down. He speed of play is like a flat line, no matter if we are leading by a goal, if we are losing or we have 3 goal lead.

I think that was the best overall performance in possession by this side in years, until the subs came on, the difference in quality between the first eleven and subs was quite stark.

Just the finishing lacking.

He's been on less than half the pay of Rashford up until about a month ago
Two stupid decisions don’t make for a great one. We should have learnt from the Rashford contract and maybe not succumbed to his demands. If we are to become a side that truly dominates, he is not the answer. Thankfully I feel the powers that be have a similar opinion, hence his contract length was not increased when they offered him silly money.

I think that was the best overall performance in possession by this side in years, until the subs came on, the difference in quality between the first eleven and subs was quite stark.

Just the finishing lacking.

All the more impressive given Bruno had a stinker - see montage above.

If he can sustain his current appetite/form then MDL seems a born leader.

Bruno did kick off last time he was substituted. ETH needs to show there are no sacred cows at utd and drop him for twente.

All the more impressive given Bruno had a stinker - see montage above.

If he can sustain his current appetite/form then MDL seems a born leader.

Bruno did kick off last time he was substituted. ETH needs to show there are no sacred cows at utd and drop him for twente.
Twente wouldn't be dropping him, we tend to rotate our "best" players in the easier cup games. He should probably start against Twente and needs dropping from the Spurs game.

Not going to watch that it’ll just be him over / under / mis hitting passes, flicks and shots as usual. His general play is so inconsistent - we need a 10 / AM who can handle the pressure of congested spaces - someone with quick feet and not a ticking time bomb on the ball.

He's a swashbuckler, he's a renegade, he lives on the edge, he's balls to the wall, he's all action.

He's everything you don't want in a creator if you want to be a successful side these days.
Essentially he’s a hero for poor teams but a problem for wannabe top ones. In the modern you don’t dominate having u precise players like Bruno being a supposed talisman. And he didn’t have the pace, physicality, exceptional finishing or good dribbling abilities to make up for it.

Bruno is an incredibly high usage player, we've essentially built around him, he has the license to do whatever he wants, so no, he's not gaslighting at all, he's right. Bruno is incredibly wasteful with constant turnovers & possession losses, he's not conducive to a possession based style, he has temperament issues when things aren't going his way (often) and he has no real defensive value. His output is not impressive, given how much usage and freedom he has.

I admire the guy for certain things, he's always available, he has character, seems good for dressing room and he's capable of special moments time to time. But the love fest needs to stop, he has been holding back this team on the pitch and we need to move on if we are to progress as a team.
Thoroughly agree with everything.

Not going to watch that it’ll just be him over / under / mis hitting passes, flicks and shots as usual. His general play is so inconsistent - we need a 10 / AM who can handle the pressure of congested spaces - someone with quick feet and not a ticking time bomb on the ball.

In our next window, we should sell Bruno to Saudi (I don't care how much we recoup), and then splash 130M to buy somone like Musiala or Wirtz. A world class #10 would be the last puzzle in our rebuild.

No not really. He wasn't even the best creator in the side today.

People need to wake up and realize it's not 2020 anymore.
Heh. Nov 2023:

Best of all is the original quotes are from 2021/22.

Every single performance thread is the same.

So maybe we should focus on being a team that plays good coherent football that dominates possession... rather than sh*tting all over Bruno
It's hard when your main guy is the biggest culprit in terms of losing the ball
Heh. Nov 2023:

Best of all is the original quotes are from 2021/22.

Every single performance thread is the same.
So depressing you gotta laugh :lol:

Not really. Some faces remain, most have given up, but the sentiment from both camps is always, always the exact same.
With one camp being much much bigger than the other of course.

Reminds me of the Pogba threads, where the prevailing opinion was the opposite, and a small tiny cult of posters defended him relentlessly for years.

A lot of overlap in the two groups bizarrely, almost the very same posters.

The one stark difference between them is that De Bruyne knows when to play the pass, wheatear its short, long, behind etc.

You can see him make 4, 5, 6 simple passes in the opposition third until he sees an opening worthy of a pass, where Bruno always plays like he has 2 touch rule in training, it looks forced in most instances.

This is truly costing us during games, again and again, as he is our creator of good, but also creator of chaos by simply giving the ball away too fast, where De Bruyne plays the extra simple passes. Bruno seems incapable of reading WHEN to speed things up, and when to slow it down. He speed of play is like a flat line, no matter if we are leading by a goal, if we are losing or we have 3 goal lead.
The reason why De Bruyne has always been a level above Fernandes is simply because he has far more to his game — he’s faster and can carry the ball to take players on when he needs to; physically he’s stronger; he’s extremely two-footed; and can operate in half spaces in tighter areas on the pitch.

Fernandes on the other hand is very much chance creation/ball progressive pass or die. When pressed, when in awkward half spaces, when the ball is on his weaker side — he’s not able to dribble past a player or progress with the ball and get out of a situation himself.

You rarely see players like Fernandes. For somebody who plays the no.10 role and creates and forces so many chances, he has such little technical security. I don’t even think I’d put him in the top five best footballing technicians at the club.

PL so far
438 minutes across 5 games
0 goals
1 assist

He’s lost the ball second most this season. Behind only TAA.

He currently offers us nothing. He should have absolutely been subbed yday

But, I hear his defenders say…he’s capable of a moment of brilliance! As are Hojlund, Garnacho, Rashford, Amad, Mount and Zirkzee.

Last edited:

Nailed it. There was a moment yday where he decided a long ball was the best option and he was playing it regardless. He was calling for the ball deep off Mazraoui from a throw in. Mazroui twice didn’t give to him delaying the throw. Bruno thew his arms up in despair because he hadn’t received the ball. And on the third time, he received it and just ballooned one right over the top. A hopeful long ball

Yeah the pass might have been on first time. But it wasn’t by the time it came to him but Bruno knows best and had already made up his mind