Bruno Fernandes Portugal flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
The new contact is going to hang over the club like a massive weight just as Rooney & De Gea’s did. You’d think we’d have learnt from those disasters but here we are once again handing a player who’s past his peak a huge new bumper contract that means we’re stuck with him until he’s well into his 30’s. I can’t even imagine how bad he’ll actually be once he’s 33/34. It will be like watching Gerrard in his final years at Liverpool. Legs gone, just constantly trying to hit those Hollywood balls hoping that one or two will eventually come off.

It won't. Bruno isn't the type to hang around if he's not wanted just because of a contract.

If we were to drop Bruno, make him a squad player, he'd be off.

Which tbf is exactly what Rooney did.

But of course that requires a manager with the stones to drop the bigger name players.

It won't. Bruno isn't the type to hang around if he's not wanted just because of a contract.

If we were to drop Bruno, make him a squad player, he'd be off.

Which tbf is exactly what Rooney did.

But of course that requires a manager with the stones to drop the bigger name players.
These are professional footballers. This is how they make and living and feed their families. If you think a player would give up 300k a week to sit on the bench for a couple years as opposed to go somewhere else and get a third that to bust his balls everyday then you're living in an idealistic fantasy.

We let Rooney leave on a free and we would have to do something similar to get rid of Bruno with the contract he has.

The consensus rightly accredits the return of Ronaldo with the momentum attained under Ole being derailed, but I’d also look at the detrimental impact of this fella aswell - the only difference is there isn’t the combative duo of McFred to win the ball back after he inevitably gives it away wastefully.

Surely a sale should be earmarked for the next couple of windows.

These are professional footballers. This is how they make and living and feed their families. If you think a player would give up 300k a week to sit on the bench for a couple years as opposed to go somewhere else and get a third that to bust his balls everyday then you're living in an idealistic fantasy.

We let Rooney leave on a free and we would have to do something similar to get rid of Bruno with the contract he has.

Do you think Rooney was on the same money for his 2nd stint at Everton as he was at United?

Do you think Rooney was on the same money for his 2nd stint at Everton as he was at United?
Rooney was semi retired. We just gave Bruno a contract like he's in/approaching his prime.

Players will give up less at the end of their careers for a comfortable situation. They will not cut their pay to less than half just to get in the starting 11.

Do you disagree with him?
He should have kept his mouth shut. My mother once told me, if you have nothing positive to say just keep your mouth shut.

Bruno is part and parcel of the Top 3 worst United seasons in our PL History. Remove the Moyes era, the other top 2 worst season Bruno has been our Captain, Main man.

Moyes 64 points. Then there is 58 points and 60 points beneath Moyes.

Him and ETH are speaking the same same language. Be keen and you will see,

Our captain and Manager have condition the fans to accept top four positions, even after Manager spending 600m and the Club Captain being paid in excess of 250k a week as a salary. If you don't see a problem in this then let's get what we deserve

He should have kept his mouth shut. My mother once told me, if you have nothing positive to say just keep your mouth shut.

Bruno is part and parcel of the Top 3 worst United seasons in our PL History. Remove the Moyes era, the other top 2 worst season Bruno has been our Captain, Main man.

Our captain and Manager have condition the fans to accept top four positions, even after Manager spending 600m and the Club Captain being paid in excess of 250k a week as a salary. If you don't see a problem in this then let's get what we deserve
You really will look for anything to slam him, won't you. It's bizarre.

I can’t wait for when he leaves the club. A very selfish player, not available to help the midfield and then throwing his teammates under the bus. Has it ever occurred to him that he might be one of the reasons we are not able to compete for the premier league? Delusional man

I disagree about selfish. One thing we all should praise him for is he runs like hell, is always available and always gives 100% for the team.

Do you disagree with him?

I agree on the objectives and certainly what's not realistic this season. I just don't think Bruno as a focal point of our team will be part of a genuinely successful Man Utd side.

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/big_chance_created

Most selfish player? Yet he's created the most chances in the PL last 4 years.
My God! I see why our fans petitioned to keep ETH. Selfish in terms of how he contributes to our midfield play. He is more keen about being the one making the key pass, running around pressing and leaving the midfield exposed or not showing up for build up play like other number 10s.
Odegaard or KDB all contribute more to general play than this clown.

To come out and say he accepts the club is fighting for top four makes it look like he is better than a top for tussle when he is not.

I disagree about selfish. One thing we all should praise him for is he runs like hell, is always available and always gives 100% for the team.
Runs aimlessly and pressing while exposing the whole midfield.
The amount of work the other two midfielders need to put in on the ball or in defence is criminal. I am just fed up with how this guy plays the game

Do you believe that another manager could take this squad and win the league with it?

Runs aimlessly and pressing while exposing the whole midfield.
The amount of work the other two midfielders need to put in on the ball or in defence is criminal. I am just fed up with how this guy plays the game

Either you want to press or you dont. If you press it requires your teammates to go with you and also advance up the pitch and become the next wave of pressing with the required level of intensity and a belief that they can win the ball.

Bruno's teammates should be pressing right after him into those spaces with the same hunger or pressing doesnt work.

This is where Ugarte should help. He will press and not sit back

Either you want to press or you dont. If you press it requires your teammates to go with you and also advance up the pitch and become the next wave of pressing with the required level of intensity and a belief that they can win the ball.

Bruno's teammates should be pressing right after him into those spaces with the same hunger or pressing doesnt work.

He is way too emotional

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/big_chance_created

Most selfish player? Yet he's created the most chances in the PL last 4 years.
Huh, you say he is really good in chance creation? Come on, that never came up when talking about him. Can you give more insights about what you mean?

Very good point, but at the same time, we also know that Bruno has a tendency to get ball focused and into a rush where he even starts to press even though nobody is with him (definitely didn't occur too often in the last month) which opens up spaces and is dragging his team members out in positions they aren't comfortable in. So you have a point, when Bruno is doing exactly what the instructions are. But every ounce that comes on top of that, is risky. I personally noted that a couple of years ago iirc (and got scolded) - I said that this guy really knows how to win over the fans, so when everything is going to shit, he is getting into survival mode and runs his socks off. Even though it isn't helping the team, he, more often than not, will get acknowledgement for his workrate. Back then some people praised his pressing - when it really wasn't pressing, just being aggressive and, while he did it on his own, making life for the players behind him that had to cover more space suddenly more difficult.

But generally, I fully agree - if we want to subscribe to this form of defense, high press, we have to be ready for moments when it fails and it makes us look like fools (such moments occured even in tiki taka Barcelona or Man City sides). Especially in a time, where we implement such a system, the odds that such disappointing moments occur, is rather high.

I do. Manchester United should always be aiming to win the league. That should be the mindset of our captain. Doesn't matter if we can, that should be the mindset.
This top 4 thing is a new trend. Oooh we made top 4 wow amazing. feck that.
Sounds great as a marky statement. But at the same time, somebody who says this right now, after this performance, would also get criticised for being a little off. I get your point, as a captain, maybe it would have been better just to say nothing in that regard but we also don't know the exact question and the full answer.

Don't think, there is any need to criticize him for stuff like that. I mean, there isn't anything that suggests that his attitude towards winning is wrong or bad. There are more than enough things to talk about, no need to open more doors when those cases are as inconvincing as this.

Huh, you say he is really good in chance creation? Come on, that never came up when talking about him. Can you give more insights about what you mean?
I have been saying this all the time. I always mention it whenever I'm having a debate with mates in the pub when they say Odengaard or KDB. I do be whinding them up, though! Don't actually think he's better than them but I use it as ammo. I'm only on this forum a few weeks (reading for years on and off) so you may or may not have seen me post about that before.

That always comes up about him. Does when I'm chatting to people anyway. He has given the ball away a lot, I won't argue against that. My point is he clearly is our main player for creating chances. Chances aren't taken many times from his passes but that's not Bruno's fault. When he was subbed off against Brighton, the whole team fell apart. We stopped playing football. I don't understand why people say he has no influence.

I agree on the objectives and certainly what's not realistic this season. I just don't think Bruno as a focal point of our team will be part of a genuinely successful Man Utd side.
That's a different thing though. Beating Bruno up for this statement is bizarre.
I do. Manchester United should always be aiming to win the league. That should be the mindset of our captain. Doesn't matter if we can, that should be the mindset.
This top 4 thing is a new trend. Oooh we made top 4 wow amazing. feck that.
So you'd rather he just spout empty platitudes that even he doesn't believe? For what purpose, if it's impossible? Surely better to be realistic. If he'd said 'we can win the league' you'd have the same people moaning about how he's clueless and totally out of touch etc. He can't win. I think acknowledging the reality of the situation while stating ambitions for the future is fine.

I can’t wait for when he leaves the club. A very selfish player, not available to help the midfield and then throwing his teammates under the bus. Has it ever occurred to him that he might be one of the reasons we are not able to compete for the premier league? Delusional man
Do you ever post anything positive on here? Genuine question. Following united seems to give you nothing but unhappiness and you only ever seem to spew negativity.

So you'd rather he just spout empty platitudes that even he doesn't believe? For what purpose, if it's impossible? Surely better to be realistic. If he'd said 'we can win the league' you'd have the same people moaning about how he's clueless and totally out of touch etc. He can't win. I think acknowledging the reality of the situation while stating ambitions for the future is fine.

Why doesn't he believe the team can win the league? The manager is entering his third season having spent over 500 million pounds. 3 games in and our aim is now top 4? The captain of the team has already given up on the league after 3 games? What was the purpose of his statement if not to lower expectations?

Club Captain

Not a good captain. Him being our main man is holding us back.

He puts effort in on the pitch. He's had some heroic performances against smaller teams, but that's all in the context of us being nowhere near to winning anything meaningful and us getting our arses handed to us every time we play Liverpool. Him turning the ball over all the time is a major problem. His style of number 10 is also an issue, as we are forced to set it up in a way that compounds him giving the ball away. We should not have given that new contract. If nobody wanted to buy him we should have started phasing him out. I don't blame INEOS for that one mistake, but it's one they'll come to regret.

Wish we’d drop the 10 role. We’ve been obsessed with it for years now.

433 is the way to go
‘Wingers’ narrow
Both full backs overlap
A solid midfield 3
One DM
2x box to box

That means dropping Bruno for me. So be it. Capable of the sublime…but generally so frustrating.

At least try it! Give it a run of games. We just continue doing the same things over and over

Fully fit

Onana
Mazraoui de Ligt Martinez Shaw
Ugarte
Mainoo Mount
Amad Rasmus Garnacho

433 is the way to go
‘Wingers’ narrow
Both full backs overlap
A solid midfield 3
One DM
2x box to box

That means dropping Bruno for me. So be it. Capable of the sublime…but generally so frustrating.

At least try it! Give it a run of games. We just continue doing the same things over and over

Fully fit

Onana
Ugarte
Mainoo Mount
Amad Rasmus Garnacho

We did try it once if I recall correctly.

3:0 versus palace.

He works hard, but not smart. He rushes in, breaking our pressing shape, doing exactly what the opponent wants, basically gets baited, and they easily play through us.

And he works best in a counter team, so the patient buildup doesnt suit his approach either.

Giving him a new contract was the biggest mistake INEOS have made so far.

433 is the way to go
‘Wingers’ narrow
Both full backs overlap
A solid midfield 3
One DM
2x box to box

Fully fit

Onana
Ugarte
Mainoo Mount
Amad Rasmus Garnacho
Ugarte as a lone #6 doesnt work, see PSG last season. He works best in a double pivot like at Sporting. If we are to play a 4-3-3 with him, its Mainoo at the base.

Last edited:
Ugarte as a #6 doesnt work, see PSG last season. He works best in a double pivot like at Sporting. If we are to play a 4-3-3 with him, its Mainoo at the base.
With Bruno as the third midfielder? I think it may work but somehow i don't see that as being a massive improvement over what we do currently.

With Bruno as the third midfielder? I think it may work but somehow i don't see that as being a massive improvement over what we do currently.
I dont think a 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1 is necessarily the problem we have. Its more to do with player profiles, and the way we use them(hiding/exposing weaknesses or exploiting;/underusing strengths).

Anyway, our in possesion shape is more of a 3-1-6/3-2-5, and out of possesion its a 4-2-4/ 4-4-2.

So a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 is just on paper. Its more about how we rotate these players in these shapes. For example, Rashford would do much better near the opposition box, than hugging the touchline. Or we would be much more secure defensively, and better offensively if we push up one of our midfielders rather than both fullbacks in the 3-1-6.

You can have a 6 and 8 behind a 10, but those are ultimately just numbers. You cannot have 3 separate lines in a midfield, ultimately, as each individual would be an island. I think there’s a big difference between having three midfielders and having a midfield. A midfield is an engine of the team, and the relationship between all three parts (and the full backs and wingers) is what makes a midfield.

So while you can have a 10 (as I’ve said, Silva and Maddison are 10s), the key is their relationship with the others around them, and this is where Bruno is simply not good enough. What good combination work have you seen in 8 months between Bruno and Mainoo, for example? Literally our 8 and 10. It’s either Mainoo does something special, or Bruno does something special, but they will not combine to weave their way through a team, and to me, that is largely because Bruno simply doesn’t have those fundamental midfield qualities. So instead, our midfield is designed for Mainoo to first do something great, maybe drop a shoulder and beat a player or two - then pass to Bruno 10 yards away who does something great himself. But never are they doing it together.

And I am not overrating Maddison at all, in fact, I am using Maddison as an example so that my point is not dismissed by basically saying something like ‘yea but David Silva is one of the best PL midfielders ever, you can’t say that’s the standard’.

And I don’t think we are built like this due to Rashford and Garnacho. Garnacho has only been in the team for a year. Before him, we had Antony, who has very different qualities, qualities that we fundamentally contradict as a team. Rashford is certainly a direct player who likes to run behind I agree, but Bruno has been in our team 5 years now and has been at the heart of what we do, good and bad. During this period, we have never suffocated opposition (and I mean any opposition, could be a random Championship or League One team in the cup just as much as a top PL side).

When McTominay left last week, Ten Hag justified it by saying we had ‘3 number 10s and only one 6’. Imagine that. Scott Mctominay a ‘number 10’. Is this a player you want to get on the ball in the final and middle thirds to knit play together? This is United’s terrible philosophy of midfield building here, in which our 10 seems to be excused from fundamental midfield work, and instead limited to impacting the scoresheet.

Any player whose worth is determined by G/A is a forward player in my eyes, and there in lies our problem. Be it Bruno, be it Scott - our true philosophy is 442. Which ultimately, will take us nowhere.
Completely agree with this, however I watch Bruno with Portugal (in fact, I watch them a fair bit) and he's definitely part of the midfield engine you talk about. Here he seems to be doing whatever he feels is right to impact the game.

You have Casemiro who was a relatively safe, positionally sound 6 for most of his career, but comes here to morph into a Bruno regen. Is this the players, or is it some flawed interpretation of the United ethos of being brave and taking risks?

Don’t worry, the chance creation stats will start accumulating once we’re a few months in and you can tell us all how wrong we are.

Incidentally, his chance creation stats have been really poor in the first 3 games. But his pass completion is higher than Ødegaard and Palmer's, so according to some that must mean that he's good now :smirk:

The negatives about his play have to be largely from the manager asking him to create and sit up high - On the few occasions we have him dropped deep I much prefer his play and how he plays for the NT isn't to keep high and spamming balls over the top and in behind..

I'm not ETH out but this is one of the main reasons I am losing faith, we need to be getting the best out of our players

433 is the way to go
‘Wingers’ narrow
Both full backs overlap
A solid midfield 3
One DM
2x box to box

Fully fit

Onana
Ugarte
Mainoo Mount
Amad Rasmus Garnacho
Every midfield with Bruno in it is effectively a midfield 2 +Bruno. I agree we need to be stronger there.

If we are building the midfield around Mainoo (what seems to be the best strategy we can go for), we better surround him with energy and athletism. So, Ugarte and Mount is a good shout.

A Tottenham player through and through. Wilts in big matches, completely folds under pressure, Never a consistent player, Never a leader and Never ever was a Manchester United player forget about being the fecking captain.

A Tottenham player through and through. Wilts in big matches, completely folds under pressure, Never a consistent player, Never a leader and Never ever was a Manchester United player forget about being the fecking captain.
Well said. Another layer of stupidity with giving him the extension/raise is with ETH being top 3 favorite to get the sack first, it's borderline negligence to leave a potential new manager with the Bruno and Rashford contracts hanging over their heads from day 1. It was part of ETHs downfall to double down on those two players and it will be for the new guy in charge too if he does the same.