Bruno Fernandes Portugal flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
https://global.espn.com/football/st...rpool-stars-earn-new-contracts-arne-slot-says

Liverpool stars must earn new contracts, Arne Slot says​

Senior Liverpool players in the final year of their contracts must perform well to secure future deals at Anfield, new manager Arne Slot said ahead of Sunday's Premier League home game against Brentford.

Virgil van Dijk, Mohamed Salah and Trent Alexander-Arnold are on contracts that expire at the end of the season.

"The only thing I have to do -- this is what I do with all of them -- is to bring the best out of them," Slot said in an interview with Sky Sports.

"If we bring the best out of them, and they perform really well, then it's up to them if they want to sign, it's up to us [the club] if we give them a new contract.
From an article last week. Those 3 players would've earned automatic contract extensions just by existing, if they were to play for us.

First clip in this video. He chose the worst of three options. Inexplicable.

The catchy tune at least brought a smile to my face otherwise you're just feeling lower than pond scum watching this deplorable performance.

https://global.espn.com/football/st...rpool-stars-earn-new-contracts-arne-slot-says

From an article last week. Those 3 players would've earned automatic contract extensions just by existing, if they were to play for us.
They probably wish they played for Utd, Rashford earns more than any of them and puts in about 25% of the effort they do. They’d all be given 300k p/w 5 year contracts no questions asked given the level of performance last few seasons.

I take it back his new contract was stupid

He had Zirkzee in on goal and passed to Rashford instead, fecking muppet.

For Liverpool’s first goal, as Gravenberch carried the ball into space he had about three passing options but played the simple ball to Salah who played the cross to Diaz to score. Bruno had a similar scenario not long before but tried to play the most difficult pass to Rashford. It pretty much sums him up. We’ll never create chances consistently with some one like him as a focal point. Cares more about goals and assists and his own personal highlights than the result.

Was a point at 0-0 where he had Garnacho out right on the break and for some reason decided to try and thread a 10% ball to Zirksee (I think). He does things like this constantly and it is a big problem.

I think this is what people meant when they said Bruno didn’t pass to Højlund last season. More often than not—about 90% of the time—he tends to look for the wingers instead.

The catchy tune at least brought a smile to my face otherwise you're just feeling lower than pond scum watching this deplorable performance.

Great song - one of Disney’s best. “7 foot frame with rats along his back/ when he calls your name, it all fades to black/“ Bruno’s on demon time :devil:

Shame our Bruno can’t replicate that. I think a lot of sensible people questioned the judgement in offering a new deal, but by large people here were celebrating it - which i found curious. 30 year old attacking midfielder that often treats the ball like it’s a hot potato, and hasn’t had a good season in a while despite productivity in spurts on exorbitant wages. What a movie.

Last edited:

Spot on.

We’re such a depressed club anyone who performs decently is put on this lofty padestal allowing then to squeeze every drop out of us.

We didn’t need to renew his contract but did so anyway. Bruno isn’t the 10 that will take us to the top - he suits the team are not the team we need to be.

What a trash captain as well. Always shrinks when things go against him. Another wasted season with this criminal running the attack.

Hard watch that one. Very worst of Bruno yesterday, poor passes and bad decisions. Needs competition for his spot.

You can’t. There are glaring fundamentals that are missing from his game, and to perform at the highest level as a team, I think you need them. He has no rhythm to his play, and as a team, we have no rhythm to ours. He is the central figure of the team (as in, literally, with the area he occupies). Him having no ability to set a rhythm means that our midfield, and subsequently, our team - can never be good enough.

When Amad came on, he added some of the qualities that really should have been coming from the 10 and the flow was better. We really need that from our 10.
That's not his role though? A 10 doesn't do that, that's what the deeper players are meant to do. He is a creator and with wingers like Rashford and Garnacho, you need him, because they are direct. Amad did what our wingers should do - beat his man and create. If anything the problem is Garna and Rashford, because they are abysmal when they come short, to get the best out of them, they have to stretch defences.

I’ve said for availed that we should start looking for and bring in his eventual replacement. Whether it’s a 10 or an attacking midfielder. For the long run in that position we need one of those players who makes the ball stick and can weave through tight spaces - suiting possession play as Bruno does not.

Putting him on a padestal and being overly content with him becuase he’s captain and our best player will lead to a difficult situation in 2 years time where all the best AM pass us by as usual and we are left floundering.

This particular moment drove me mad. It's like he is programmed to go for the extra difficult passes where a simple pass to Garnacho could have created a simple opening and the possibility for a cross/return pass.

Hard watch that one. Very worst of Bruno yesterday, poor passes and bad decisions. Needs competition for his spot.
It sums up everything I hate about watching him. We will never control a game with him in the team. I bet there were 4 or 5 statistical “chances created” in that video which shows the problem with analysing of defending performances based on stats alone. Lies, damn lies and statistics etc.

Plus this wasn’t a one off you could make a similar video for most of his games.

That's not his role though? A 10 doesn't do that, that's what the deeper players are meant to do. He is a creator and with wingers like Rashford and Garnacho, you need him, because they are direct. Amad did what our wingers should do - beat his man and create. If anything the problem is Garna and Rashford, because they are abysmal when they come short, to get the best out of them, they have to stretch defences.
That’s the issue with Bruno - he’s a terrific creator but he’s just that. He can’t beat a man, he isn’t quick or strong, his creative passing is great but his general short passing to link up and control play is very iffy, and even his shooting has declined. He’s a fine player because of said creativity and also his engine / availability but in the long run and on a rotational basis, we need different qualities imo.

He is mostly terrible in big games, still don't think we will ever develop a midfield which can dominate big games with him in it

Always chooses hollywood passes. The amount of randomization he brings will never help us function as a well oiled machine.

He is mostly terrible in big games, still don't think we will ever develop a midfield which can dominate big games with him in it
Because he is not a central midfielder (an 8 or a 6). He is a 10. So if you shoehorn him into the midfield, you get results like this.

Because he is not a central midfielder (an 8 or a 6). He is a 10. So if you shoehorn him into the midfield, you get results like this.
Hes actually is an 8 just a poor one, he also is not a great 10

You're criticising him for something he's plainly been instructed to do. We know he's capable of playing deeper; it's very clear his positioning is the result of following a tactical instruction. Criticise his general play if you must (I'd agree it's been hit and miss so far this season) but you can't blame him for doing what the manager has told him to do

Very little to do with the manager (who has his own problems) and mostly to do with Bruno Fernandes himself. He is incapable of playing as a top level deep midfielder. Its been tried a few times and never works because he does not have the discipline or the patience to do it. He can only play in one position and he doesn't even play the position well. And Bruno's play hasn't been "hit and miss so far this season". It has been all miss this season and has been mostly miss since 2021. Yet we reward him with a bumper pay raise for "leading" us to the lofty heights of 8th and crashing out of Europe. This club confounds logic.

That’s the issue with Bruno - he’s a terrific creator but he’s just that. He can’t beat a man, he isn’t quick or strong, his creative passing is great but his general short passing to link up and control play is very iffy, and even his shooting has declined. He’s a fine player because of said creativity and also his engine / availability but in the long run and on a rotational basis, we need different qualities imo.
No he is not and this myth needs to die .

A 10 absolutely should do that. David Silva did that. James Maddison does that. Xavi will not do that in the same areas. The only issue is that the 10 is becoming obsolete in the game, so most teams are trying to get this from other players.

However, all my life watching football, a top 10 is a player who links, not just creates chances. Final third triangles and such. One-twos. Switching play left-to-right. Most teams won’t even play with a classic 10 these days anyway. An advanced 8 is what we should be using, and that player should be Mainoo and not Bruno. A player like Pedri will typically be the creative midfielder in a team, but his game is so so much more than waiting in space to effectively pull the trigger on a final pass. It’s a terrible, terrible approach to building a top midfield, and has gotten us nowhere and needs to stop.

Liverpool had Gravenberch sitting yesterday and two other midfielders moving around him, getting on the ball, constantly moving into space and releasing the spare man. All summer I was advocating we got Joao Neves and played him and Mainoo in front of an 8. Many had this dated idea of them apparently being ‘too similar’, with us needing ‘one who tackles, one who controls and one who creates’. That isn’t a midfield, that is 3 midfielders.

While I'm not denying we have a track record of dishing out new contracts like we're a charity (and the new Bruno one is questionable) anyone is capable of saying the right things, and I'm fairly certain Ten Hag said similar about renewals under his time here.

He is simply not someone you should build around if you want to be a serious team. Reminds me of Mata tearing it up with Chelsea as the lead man while they came in 6th and 3rd before Mourinho arrived and, to the fury of many a Chelsea fan, replaced him with Oscar (a player you would have a fair argument saying was worse individually) and instantly turned them into a better functioning team.

Players like these need the team to be built around their flaws, but their flaws are too pronounced to have a team built around them and consistently win at the top level. I don't even think he was egregiously bad yesterday, it's just who he is as a player. Some days, it'll come off and we'll read about his amazing chance creation stats and have to pretend he's in the same stratosphere as a prime De Bruyne; other days, it looks like this.

A 10 absolutely should do that. David Silva did that. James Maddison does that. Xavi will not do that in the same areas. The only issue is that the 10 is becoming obsolete in the game, so most teams are trying to get this from other players.

However, all my life watching football, a top 10 is a player who links, not just creates chances. Final third triangles and such. One-twos. Switching play left-to-right. Most teams won’t even play with a classic 10 these days anyway. An advanced 8 is what we should be using, and that player should be Mainoo and not Bruno. A player like Pedri will typically be the creative midfielder in a team, but his game is so so much more than waiting in space to effectively pull the trigger on a final pass. It’s a terrible, terrible approach to building a top midfield, and has gotten us nowhere and needs to stop.

Liverpool had Gravenberch sitting yesterday and two other midfielders moving around him, getting on the ball, constantly moving into space and releasing the spare man. All summer I was advocating we got Joao Neves and played him and Mainoo in front of an 8. Many had this dated idea of them apparently being ‘too similar’, with us needing ‘one who tackles, one who controls and one who creates’. That isn’t a midfield, that is 3 midfielders.
Yeah, so what your saying is you want a midfield 3, which is fine and I think you would want Mainoo in the "10" role - which I wouldn't disagree with. That's not the same as he can't be in a successful team and he's the reason we're not good. there isn't a binary way to play, we have to be set up to get the best out of everyone. Having Casemio and Mainoo as your midfield base will never work for any team. McFred is also not good enough. Ugarte should alleviate some problems, but I would definitely look to add Rabiot as well to give us the option of a more solid base. I also think playing Amad (or any similar 10 style winger), with a more direct winger (Rashford or Garnacho) on the other side is how you also get the best out of Bruno - beause he can play final third triangles, one-twos and switch play, I'm not sure if you're arguing he can't?
I personally think he is not the quality problem. The issue watching where things broke down yesterday, were the striker, wingers and DM. I understand watching the likes of Morgan Rogers, etc gives us a fresh idea of what a 10 can be, but it does feel like a bit like we're downplaying one of our only player of real requisite quality.

Yeah, so what your saying is you want a midfield 3, which is fine and I think you would want Mainoo in the "10" role - which I wouldn't disagree with. That's not the same as he can't be in a successful team and he's the reason we're not good. there isn't a binary way to play, we have to be set up to get the best out of everyone. Having Casemio and Mainoo as your midfield base will never work for any team. McFred is also not good enough. Ugarte should alleviate some problems, but I would definitely look to add Rabiot as well to give us the option of a more solid base. I also think playing Amad (or any similar 10 style winger), with a more direct winger (Rashford or Garnacho) on the other side is how you also get the best out of Bruno - beause he can play final third triangles, one-twos and switch play, I'm not sure if you're arguing he can't?

I personally think he is not the quality problem. The issue watching where things broke down yesterday, were the striker, wingers and DM. I understand watching the likes of Morgan Rogers, etc gives us a fresh idea of what a 10 can be, but it does feel like a bit like we're downplaying one of our only player of real requisite quality.
He has quality but it seems he often thrives in chaotic games, don't know if that will ever fit with a team that is able to dominate big games

Bruno’s inconsistency has always been an issue. But at this stage in his career he shouldn’t be so erratic on the ball.

I fear he only works in cup style games where he’s hyper focused and the opposition know he can have game changing moments

I also worry that our style of play centers Bruno way too much at the expense of the the team finding other “play making” solutions

Will Kobbie ever grow into a creative No.8/10 in a team built around Bruno’s hero ball?

A number 10 should be part of a midfield 3 anyway. If a team plays a 433, then the 10 is literally either part of the midfield 3 or the front 3. They are in the middle 3 for a reason, and that’s because their duties are not just the final action, they are expected to be heavily involved in the core actions too. Anything else and what you are then playing is a 442 (or 424 with us!).

James Maddison plays a good final ball, but he knits Spurs together sooo much better than Bruno does for United. He’s not there to put the final touch on things, he’s there for the play to go through him, and they simply wouldn’t function nearly as well as a machine if he wasn’t there.

And we can’t be a successful team with this type of 10 because if he isn’t going to do these things, the things that James Maddison does for Spurs or Pedri does for Barcelona - he will never create enough to warrant the sacrificing of the team enablement that I think he should be doing.

Our team is built for the ball to pass through the middle third in one or two passes, which is stupid percentage football that will never ever yield enough successes to be worth it. It will lead to numerous turnovers of the ball and no sustaining of attacks.

When was the last time you saw us suffocate a team and keep coming again and again? That’s what Liverpool did to us yesterday. Our midfield isn’t constructed for that. The whole point in football transitioning from a 442 to a 433 is to get another player in midfield to avoid being overrun and have greater control. We have somehow constructed a team that seemingly has a 433 without either of those benefits.

Before the transfer window, I was laughed out of this thread for suggesting we should sell him and use the money to rebuild the midfield rather than giving him a new contract.
I stand by that sentiment.

You can’t play with a high block and have such a low percentage player. How can such an experienced player not know when to speed the game up or slow it down? Every pass is a risk with him.
He’s also very poor at protecting the ball or physical dues in and out of possession. It’s a terrible combination. Our biggest issue in this team is turnovers and he’s one of biggest culprits. We give the ball away for fun.

The arms waving and constant moaning only make it harder to stomach.

A number 10 should be part of a midfield 3 anyway. If a team plays a 433, then the 10 is literally either part of the midfield 3 or the front 3. They are in the middle 3 for a reason, and that’s because their duties are not just the final action, they are expected to be heavily involved in the core actions too. Anything else and what you are then playing is a 442 (or 424 with us!).

James Maddison plays a good final ball, but he knits Spurs together sooo much better than Bruno does for United. He’s not there to put the final touch on things, he’s there for the play to go through him, and they simply wouldn’t function nearly as well as a machine if he wasn’t there.

And we can’t be a successful team with this type of 10 because if he isn’t going to do these things, the things that James Maddison does for Spurs or Pedri does for Barcelona - he will never create enough to warrant the sacrificing of the team enablement that I think he should be doing.

Our team is built for the ball to pass through the middle third in one or two passes, which is stupid percentage football that will never ever yield enough successes to be worth it. It will lead to numerous turnovers of the ball and no sustaining of attacks.

When was the last time you saw us suffocate a team and keep coming again and again? That’s what Liverpool did to us yesterday. Our midfield isn’t constructed for that. The whole point in football transitioning from a 442 to a 433 is to get another player in midfield to avoid being overrun and have greater control. We have somehow constructed a team that seemingly has a 433 without either of those benefits.
You can have a "6" and an "8" behind a "10". Between the 6 and 8 you need a more positionally disciplined player, energy and good receiver of the first pass. Bruno doesn't just constantly give the ball away, you're framing as if it breaks down when it comes to him, which is just objectively not true. Yes he plays risky passes - maybe more often than he should, but there are plenty of passes the players feck up as seen in his xAG stats.

Again, all these teams have far more balanced players behind them. Bissouma and Sarr for Spurs provide the necessary cover for Maddison and also the wingers/forwards are far better in the build up (Son, Kulu, Oderbert/Johnson). If you genuinely think Maddison would be better than Bruno in that Spurs team, I think you're vastly overrating Maddison and criminally underrating Bruno. Pedri is a different style of 10 and I agree, he is our Mainoo in that example, so I think there's an argument that Mainoo should be our 10 to get better control - this is not the same in saying Bruno can't be in a top level team, I don't know why he's getting such flak.

We're largely built like that because Rashford and Garnacho are our wingers, we are playing to their strengths. It's not because of Bruno.

I agree, we don't do that, but I think it's wider than Bruno. Our our squad is not built to play like that. I personally think Ugarte will have a big impact and lead us to have the ball more - recoveries and less risky passes from the 6 position, a la Casemiro, but we'll see.

When he's bad he is really bad. We've known that all along though.

He is a real problem for any team that would be trying to build a sustainable/repeatable way of playing. Erratic on the ball and doesn't have the patience or discipline defensively to hold shape or trigger the press at the right time. Not that he is alone in having shortcomings, and he will always be our best way to create chances due to our limitations in the final third.

You can have a "6" and an "8" behind a "10". Between the 6 and 8 you need a more positionally disciplined player, energy and good receiver of the first pass. Bruno doesn't just constantly give the ball away, you're framing as if it breaks down when it comes to him, which is just objectively not true. Yes he plays risky passes - maybe more often than he should, but there are plenty of passes the players feck up as seen in his xAG stats.

Again, all these teams have far more balanced players behind them. Bissouma and Sarr for Spurs provide the necessary cover for Maddison and also the wingers/forwards are far better in the build up (Son, Kulu, Oderbert/Johnson). If you genuinely think Maddison would be better than Bruno in that Spurs team, I think you're vastly overrating Maddison and criminally underrating Bruno. Pedri is a different style of 10 and I agree, he is our Mainoo in that example, so I think there's an argument that Mainoo should be our 10 to get better control - this is not the same in saying Bruno can't be in a top level team, I don't know why he's getting such flak.

We're largely built like that because Rashford and Garnacho are our wingers, we are playing to their strengths. It's not because of Bruno.

I agree, we don't do that, but I think it's wider than Bruno. Our our squad is not built to play like that. I personally think Ugarte will have a big impact and lead us to have the ball more - recoveries and less risky passes from the 6 position, a la Casemiro, but we'll see.

You can have a 6 and 8 behind a 10, but those are ultimately just numbers. You cannot have 3 separate lines in a midfield, ultimately, as each individual would be an island. I think there’s a big difference between having three midfielders and having a midfield. A midfield is an engine of the team, and the relationship between all three parts (and the full backs and wingers) is what makes a midfield.

So while you can have a 10 (as I’ve said, Silva and Maddison are 10s), the key is their relationship with the others around them, and this is where Bruno is simply not good enough. What good combination work have you seen in 8 months between Bruno and Mainoo, for example? Literally our 8 and 10. It’s either Mainoo does something special, or Bruno does something special, but they will not combine to weave their way through a team, and to me, that is largely because Bruno simply doesn’t have those fundamental midfield qualities. So instead, our midfield is designed for Mainoo to first do something great, maybe drop a shoulder and beat a player or two - then pass to Bruno 10 yards away who does something great himself. But never are they doing it together.

And I am not overrating Maddison at all, in fact, I am using Maddison as an example so that my point is not dismissed by basically saying something like ‘yea but David Silva is one of the best PL midfielders ever, you can’t say that’s the standard’.

And I don’t think we are built like this due to Rashford and Garnacho. Garnacho has only been in the team for a year. Before him, we had Antony, who has very different qualities, qualities that we fundamentally contradict as a team. Rashford is certainly a direct player who likes to run behind I agree, but Bruno has been in our team 5 years now and has been at the heart of what we do, good and bad. During this period, we have never suffocated opposition (and I mean any opposition, could be a random Championship or League One team in the cup just as much as a top PL side).

When McTominay left last week, Ten Hag justified it by saying we had ‘3 number 10s and only one 6’. Imagine that. Scott Mctominay a ‘number 10’. Is this a player you want to get on the ball in the final and middle thirds to knit play together? This is United’s terrible philosophy of midfield building here, in which our 10 seems to be excused from fundamental midfield work, and instead limited to impacting the scoresheet.

Any player whose worth is determined by G/A is a forward player in my eyes, and there in lies our problem. Be it Bruno, be it Scott - our true philosophy is 442. Which ultimately, will take us nowhere.

Before the transfer window, I was laughed out of this thread for suggesting we should sell him and use the money to rebuild the midfield rather than giving him a new contract.
Over half the people on here wanted ten hag to stay at the end of last season so I wouldn't trust their judgement

He's 30 and has played a stupid amount of minutes. In a year or 2 we will be rueing the contract extension we've given him