Bruno Fernandes Portugal flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Ah, the old classic fallback of 'you obviously aren't watching as you disagree with me'. I saw both games, thanks. He was ok against Fulham and poor yesterday. Though we still went to shit when he came off (though you'll obviously claim that was unrelated). But keep hating the one bright point of the last five years for united mate (fraudnandes, wow so funny and original!) You do you.

He missed two/three sitters against Fulham and we went to shit yesterday when Mount came off actually but I'm sure you're watching the games. The bright spots of the last five years would be the two trophies we won but unsurprising that a fan boy would care more about a player than team success. And thanks I quite like the ring of Fraudnandes. Suits the player and his fanclub.

No other world class player in his position is as wasteful with the ball as Bruno. He can be really confusing to evaluate as a player. It's one of the few times where I can see the point of view of those that think he's shit and those that think he's brilliant.

Brilliant player but I feel is given too much freedom made even worse when made captain.

He missed two/three sitters against Fulham and we went to shit yesterday when Mount came off actually but I'm sure you're watching the games. The bright spots of the last five years would be the two trophies we won but unsurprising that a fan boy would care more about a player than team success. And thanks I quite like the ring of Fraudnandes. Suits the player and his fanclub.
To reiterate, I did watch both games and our suicidal nosedive coincided with Bruno coming off. Before that, diallo had scored, we had steadied the ship and nearly gone ahead (thanks in large part to Bruno) and were looking the more likely to go on and win it. Again, resorting to 'you're not watching the games' is pretty desperate. I am no Bruno fanboy - I like him a great deal as a player and think he's the best we've had in the last five years and maybe more - but I also recognise he's far from perfect. But you seem to have a weird hatred for him and are building up a Bruno fanclub in your head to rail against, when most of those people simply agree that he's been our best player for many seasons now. It's not even a controversial opinion. The way you discuss things makes me think you're not really worth engaging with, though. So enjoy your pointless anti Bruno rants and good luck!

To reiterate, I did watch both games and our suicidal nosedive coincided with Bruno coming off. Before that, diallo had scored, we had steadied the ship and nearly gone ahead (thanks in large part to Bruno) and were looking the more likely to go on and win it. Again, resorting to 'you're not watching the games' is pretty desperate. I am no Bruno fanboy - I like him a great deal as a player and think he's the best we've had in the last five years and maybe more - but I also recognise he's far from perfect. But you seem to have a weird hatred for him and are building up a Bruno fanclub in your head to rail against, when most of those people simply agree that he's been our best player for many seasons now. It's not even a controversial opinion. The way you discuss things makes me think you're not really worth engaging with, though. So enjoy your pointless anti Bruno rants and good luck!

Our best player in the last five years is like being the best Tory in government the last few years. Sure you're better than Boris, Braverman, Mogg and Truss but you're probably still a bit shit.

I want what's best for the club/team and it's been clear for a while now that we are going nowhere with this mentally weak and technically deficient player as our star attacker/captain. Some people have been saying the same for years about him but you still get people defending him, acting like he is irreplaceable and celebrating giving an almost 30 year old higher wages and a longer contract. If you think the Bruno fanclub is something imaginary then I have a castle in Nigeria to sell you.

Our best player in the last five years is like being the best Tory in government the last few years. Sure you're better than Boris, Braverman, Mogg and Truss but you're probably still a bit shit.

I want what's best for the club/team and it's been clear for a while now that we are going nowhere with this mentally weak and technically deficient player as our star attacker/captain. Some people have been saying the same for years about him but you still get people defending him, acting like he is irreplaceable and celebrating giving an almost 30 year old higher wages and a longer contract. If you think the Bruno fanclub is something imaginary then I have a castle in Nigeria to sell you.

That's so harsh. I feel pained just reading that.
Low blow.

indeed and yet you have idiots on here saying it was the right decision.
People are desperate to make him seem better than he is(world class) but can't seem to understand why we've been largely shite while he's been the main man at the club. The guy is the biggest fraud in world football. A month or so of decent form at the end of last season was enough to fool the morons yet again. Two games and two shit performances so far with plenty more to come no doubt.

The reason ETH moves Bruno around every where is because he has realised that playing this supposed midfielder in midfield is tactical suicide. He will give the ball away recklessly and has no idea when to push or pull. So as long as he is out on the wings or as the false nine at least his kamikaze ways won't hurt the team as much. Now with a new contract and the captaincy we are stuck with this fraudster for years to come, destroying any hope of a cohesive midfield.
Lets calm down a bit gentlemen. We all know, that his fan club is only going to jump in here after a good performance to shoot back and make it borderline insufferable. You know I am all up for criticizing him but thats possible without such labelling that will only fuel the comeback.
Ah, the old classic fallback of 'you obviously aren't watching as you disagree with me'. I saw both games, thanks. He was ok against Fulham and poor yesterday. Though we still went to shit when he came off (though you'll obviously claim that was unrelated). But keep hating the one bright point of the last five years for united mate (fraudnandes, wow so funny and original!) You do you.
We became United of last year in the 2nd half. Same thing happened last weekend against Fulham. Us being able to generate a chance here and there doesn't necessarily mean, we played well. We did play well - both games for about one half. And I'd still agree that taking Fernandes off yesterday was an odd decision.

And just fyi - I am sure, nobody wants himself to be depicted as a fanboy. But it is just the other side of the coin of saying people "hate a player", can't have one without the other.

Its fair to say he's a creative monster who also contributes to the team not being able to control games. I imagine its tough to know when to push up and support attacks when he's got the ball as you don't know if he's going to keep possession or try a wonder ball/flick/trick which may unlock a defence or more often than not just give away the ball. Funny enough I'd liken it to having a Nani in midfield. Will pull something out the bag but you're always going to be second guessing whether he will lose the ball.

I'm not sure that type of player is conducive to trying to dominate teams and pen them into their own half.

Does anyone get tired of Bruno choosing to pass / cross with his outside foot when they hardly ever result with decent end product?

However, one slight improvement I have observed is his half turns, I have seen a lot more from him recently and it must have been instructed by the coaching team.

I miss the Bruno of 2020/21, he was a monster like Palmer is now for Chelsea. I wonder what happened

I wish Bruno would stop trying to go for the fancy pass or shot all the time and just keep it simple, how many times does he try to play a pass or shot with the outside of his boot and completely messes it up.

Geez this place! Liking a player means you're in his fanclub so can't see the wood from the trees.

Genuine question for all the Bruno haters..

If we sold him tomorrow for £75m adhd saved £300k salary, which attainable central midfielder would you bring in with that budget who you can confidently say would improve the team?

If we sold him tomorrow for £75m adhd saved £300k salary, which attainable central midfielder would you bring in with that budget who you can confidently say would improve the team?
I love Bruno, but it's more about getting a player to make the team better balanced long term. Bruno is our best player, and he has an impact that we can't replace. But he also unbalances us. That's fine while there are much bigger issues to solve, but it's hard to find a proper balance with him as a 10. Whether it's down to tactics or his own preference, he basically plays as a second striker, and has clear limitations to his game. I really don't see us finding midfield balance with a three that includes both Mainoo and Bruno. Mainoo does his bit defensively, but he doesn't cover enough ground nor have the stamina to cover the gaps that Bruno leaves. Bruno also works hard, but he's just not disciplined defensively. A trio of Wharton, Casemiro/Ugarte and Mainoo has way more control and solidity in it than a trio of Bruno, Mainoo and Casemiro/Ugarte.

Bruno is our most important player. I could never understand rival fans and especially fellow supports criticising him. He was subbed against Brighton and the second Bruno left the pitch, United stopped playing football. The times he's been injured, United's win ratio is worse and there's evidence of that. Aside from probably Garnacho, he's the only player for us that can make something happen out of nothing.

Wharton has been mentioned, Neves before he moved to PSG would have been good but other options could be Wirtz or Valverde.

To be honest, I can't think of any that would do better than him offensively on an individual level, no chance. But personally, I am fed up with this must-have-a-number 10 approach. It makes us so reliant on a single player for our attacking output as opposed to having three versatile midfielders who are all good to great both defensively and offensively.

I'd probably replace Bruno with Mac Allister and have a midfield three of Ugarte - Mac Allister - Mainoo with Kobbie being the more advanced. Ugarte responsible for the ball winning along with Mac Allister because he is also a good tackler and reader of the game, Mac Allister primarily for progressing the ball forward with passes and the playmaking, and Mainoo for his trickery and link up in the final third. I think this midfield has an excellent balance. Obviously this wouldn't work with our current attackers because they aren't dangerous enough offensively and we would lack in terms of goals, but if we get in another two wingers next summer, then a midfield like that would be the most balanced in my opinion.

Maybe I'm off base here but I feel like his production has dropped off quite a bit. Maybe it's just recency bias from his misses against Fulham, doesn't feel like he scores that many open play goals anymore. For such a highly paid, integral part of the team he is not producing like Salah/Haaland/KDB/Saka/Palmer etc. maybe I'm wrong and the numbers are actually better than what I think

I love Bruno, but it's more about getting a player to make the team better balanced long term. Bruno is our best player, and he has an impact that we can't replace. But he also unbalances us. That's fine while there are much bigger issues to solve, but it's hard to find a proper balance with him as a 10. Whether it's down to tactics or his own preference, he basically plays as a second striker, and has clear limitations to his game. I really don't see us finding midfield balance with a three that includes both Mainoo and Bruno. Mainoo does his bit defensively, but he doesn't cover enough ground nor have the stamina to cover the gaps that Bruno leaves. Bruno also works hard, but he's just not disciplined defensively. A trio of Wharton, Casemiro/Ugarte and Mainoo has way more control and solidity in it than a trio of Bruno, Mainoo and Casemiro/Ugarte.
The biggest issue right now is this team has zero creativity when we don’t have Bruno, and that’s solely down to the coach bot really getting the balance or tactics right, nor training us in a way wherein the team as a whole can produce goal scoring opportunities regularly. This reliance on Bruno means we can never move to a proper 4-3-3.

I agree with that. Don't know much about Wharton but in principle, that is also my standpoint. The task isn't just replacing Bruno with a version that does what Bruno does PLUS something else, it is about creating an effective team. People talk about Bruno being so creative, the main issue is that our front line isn't creative at all. Rashford became a mere finisher, Garnacho is mostly on the same trajectory. Sancho could have been useful but faded away. Antony faded into obscurity even though I hoped, he would help with that and with Amad, we have to see where stuff goes.

The task at hand is to improve the team, selling Bruno (for me at least) wouldn't be a "taking out the sting" operation, more of a generate funds to move forward. I'd sell all our wingers bar Garnacho and Amad for the exact same reason. The team would take a hit, results may drop even more but I think in the long run, we'd benefit.

The biggest issue right now is this team has zero creativity when we don’t have Bruno, and that’s solely down to the coach bot really getting the balance or tactics right, nor training us in a way wherein the team as a whole can produce goal scoring opportunities regularly. This reliance on Bruno means we can never move to a proper 4-3-3.
Is this true? I feel like we’re less reliant on him now. We created a lot first game, second game we still created enough to win. The creativity issue was fixed the time Hojlund returned to the team last season around Christmas, since then we’ve been vastly improved as the start of the season was so bad. If you compare the periods, we are like a different team though the defensive frailties remain a big issue. I’d say defence is what cost us last game, not attack.

Is this true? I feel like we’re less reliant on him now. We created a lot first game, second game we still created enough to win. The creativity issue was fixed the time Hojlund returned to the team last season around Christmas, since then we’ve been vastly improved as the start of the season was so bad. If you compare the periods, we are like a different team though the defensive frailties remain a big issue. I’d say defence is what cost us last game, not attack.
How much did we actually create against Brighton? We had the two offside goals, one of which was a pass from Bruno. Also that chance for Amad in the first half but that was not clear cut.

Brighton had their moments too. The goal line clearance from Dalot and the header from Welbeck hitting the bar. Most importantly, we created nothing once we took off Bruno, and that was a massive head scratcher even live during the game, let alone hindsight.

Here we have our most mercurial and enigmatic player being taken off for one whom we are actively trying to sell. It just didn’t make sense, unless Mctominay is being sold without the manager’s blessing. How can we rely on a player to be our match winner if we don’t consider him good enough to be part of the club?

How much did we actually create against Brighton? We had the two offside goals, one of which was a pass from Bruno. Also that chance for Amad in the first half but that was not clear cut.

Brighton had their moments too. The goal line clearance from Dalot and the header from Welbeck hitting the bar. Most importantly, we created nothing once we took off Bruno, and that was a massive head scratcher even live during the game, let alone hindsight.

Here we have our most mercurial and enigmatic player being taken off for one whom we are actively trying to sell. It just didn’t make sense, unless Mctominay is being sold without the manager’s blessing. How can we rely on a player to be our match winner if we don’t consider him good enough to be part of the club?
Bruno had 0 key passes against Fulham, United xG was 2.4
He had 3 key passes against Brighton worth 0.8, United xG was 1.4.

I agree that Bruno's sub was a mistake, especially for McTominay. United's problem overall was not turning their half-chances into great ones. See Amad's pass for Rashford, the latter being inexplicably offside for his overturned goal and Bruno failing to control the ball from Zirkzee's good pass in the penalty area.

With all the threads being bumped, I'm assuming he (along with a few other players), didn't have the best of games against Brighton?

Yeah he wasn’t good. Probably better on average than in GW1 but still not sharp at all.

Personally don’t think he’s going have his best impact playing in that position so high up next to Mount. We’ve essentially hitched our wagon to him so might as well play him in his best position.

Maybe I'm off base here but I feel like his production has dropped off quite a bit. Maybe it's just recency bias from his misses against Fulham, doesn't feel like he scores that many open play goals anymore. For such a highly paid, integral part of the team he is not producing like Salah/Haaland/KDB/Saka/Palmer etc. maybe I'm wrong and the numbers are actually better than what I think

Definitely recency bias. He scored 10 league goals last season, 6 of them from open play. Which is the exact same amount as redcafe favourite, Martin Odegaard, who was playing for a far better team. 2 more than Kevin De Bruyne and James Maddison. Comparing his output with Salah, Haaland, Saka etc makes no sense.

With all the threads being bumped, I'm assuming he (along with a few other players), didn't have the best of games against Brighton?

Yeah he wasn’t good. Probably better on average than in GW1 but still not sharp at all.

Personally don’t think he’s going have his best impact playing in that position so high up next to Mount. We’ve essentially hitched our wagon to him so might as well play him in his best position

Personally don’t think he’s going have his best impact playing in that position so high up next to Mount. We’ve essentially hitched our wagon to him so might as well play him in his best position
Thanks for that, bud. Yeah, also as JZ tries to get up to speed, Mount is possibly the more versatile player of the 2, so could’ve been pushing him into the false 9 role instead. Oh well.

Definitely recency bias. He scored 10 league goals last season, 6 of them from open play. Which is the exact same amount as redcafe favourite, Martin Odegaard, who was playing for a far better team. 2 more than Kevin De Bruyne and James Maddison. Comparing his output with Salah, Haaland, Saka etc makes no sense.

I only wrote about goals because assists are dependent on others finishing too.

At the end of the day our whole style of play revolves around him. And he is getting a top tier contract being paid like the best. With those two in mind are we getting the best return on investment (both money and investing whole of style of play around him)

Last season he was 19th in G+A.

1.Erling Haaland • Manchester City1.13
Michael Olise • Crystal Palace1.13
Cole Palmer • 2 squads1.13
4.Kevin De Bruyne • Manchester City1.03
5.Diogo Jota • Liverpool1.02
6.Mohamed Salah • Liverpool0.99
7.Alexander Isak • Newcastle Utd0.92
8.Richarlison • Tottenham0.91
9.Ollie Watkins • Aston Villa0.90
10.Phil Foden • Manchester City0.85

His per 90 was 0.4 for last season.

My point is not that he is not productive enough, my point is: is he productive enough for us to revolve our whole still of play around him?

Thanks for that, bud. Yeah, also as JZ tries to get up to speed, Mount is possibly the more versatile player of the 2, so could’ve been pushing him into the false 9 role instead. Oh well.
It’s weird because it’s not even really a “false 9” in how it plays out. It’s almost more of a 424 where both Bruno and Mount are finding themselves furthest forward near the box often times while Amad and Rashford are stretched extremely wide.

My point is not that he is not productive enough, my point is: is he productive enough for us to revolve our whole still of play around him?

I think that this is a myth. We are not accommodating Bruno in any way, apart from:

A) Letting him take set pieces
B) Letting him play more risky long balls than other players (probably Ten Hag's instructions)

Beyond that he's a team player who will play wherever he's asked and perform whatever role needs filling. We are not building our style based on his strengths alone. Hell, we are not building based on any one player's strength.

Last edited:
I only wrote about goals because assists are dependent on others finishing too.

At the end of the day our whole style of play revolves around him. And he is getting a top tier contract being paid like the best. With those two in mind are we getting the best return on investment (both money and investing whole of style of play around him)

Last season he was 19th in G+A.

1.Erling Haaland • Manchester City1.13
Michael Olise • Crystal Palace1.13
Cole Palmer • 2 squads1.13
4.Kevin De Bruyne • Manchester City1.03
5.Diogo Jota • Liverpool1.02
6.Mohamed Salah • Liverpool0.99
7.Alexander Isak • Newcastle Utd0.92
8.Richarlison • Tottenham0.91
9.Ollie Watkins • Aston Villa0.90
10.Phil Foden • Manchester City0.85

His per 90 was 0.4 for last season.

Why do you keep comparing him with strikers? He’s not a striker. Compare him with players that play the same position. And when he’s consistently topping charts in terms of chance creation then it’s fairly obvious what would improve his number of assists. And the answer has nothing to do with Bruno Fernandes.

I’m not going to rewatch the match to tell you every half chance we had - Amad’s was clear cut though, it was essentially a one on one but a header - but there was enough for us to draw or win the game I feel. We also scored 2 other goals, Rashford just doesn’t understand what offside is and then the unlucky Zirkzee disallowed goal.

It’s at the other end the issues have been most glaring so far this season for me. Maguire on first goal is atrocious, second goal is literally Sunday league level.

I think that this is a myth. We are not accommodation Bruno in any way, apart from:

A) Letting him take set pieces
B) Letting him play more risky long balls than other players (probably Ten Hag's instructions)

Beyond that he's a team player who will play wherever he's asked and perform whatever role needs filling. We are not building our style based on his strengths alone. Hell, we are not building based on any one player's strength.

But that's a big part of our back and forth style of play, no? Consequently we don't value possession, we don't control games.

Why do you keep comparing him with strikers? He’s not a striker. Compare him with players that play the same position. And when he’s consistently topping charts in terms of chance creation then it’s fairly obvious what would improve his number of assists. And the answer has nothing to do with Bruno Fernandes.

That's top 10 for G+A. Half of them are not strikers.

But that's a big part of our back and forth style of play, no? Consequently we don't value possession, we don't control games.

I personally think that these long balls (and their frequency) are being heavily overplayed in here. It's fine to play the occasional long ball. Every team does it.

And even if you are right in that we play an obscene amount of long balls for a top team: Bruno is not to blame! The long ball strategy is not used because of Bruno's precise foot alone. It is used because we have quick forwards and struggle to create chances through slow buildups. If you want to blame anyone, blame Ten Hag. His attacking football is worse than both Ole and Mourinho's.

Although I'm sure that the usual suspects (that I have forgot to put on ignore) will claim that this is Bruno's fault too...

It’s at the other end the issues have been most glaring so far this season for me. Maguire on first goal is atrocious, second goal is literally Sunday league level.

What makes these two games so depressing for me is that they’ve exposed failings in every area of the pitch.

Against Fulham we struggled to create despite having a lot of possession. And we missed the chances we did create. Then our midfield managed to evaporate on a few occasions, creating those dangerous counters - where our defenders are outnumbered - that were such a feature of last season. Then we had the keystone cops defensive shambles vs Brighton. Twice. Along with an ongoing defensive vulnerability at set-pieces combined with not a single shot on target from our own set-pieces. So that’s a repeat of all the worst failings of the ETH era, in attack, midfield, defence and set-pieces, all in just 180 minutes of football. Grim.

I agree with that. Don't know much about Wharton but in principle, that is also my standpoint. The task isn't just replacing Bruno with a version that does what Bruno does PLUS something else, it is about creating an effective team. People talk about Bruno being so creative, the main issue is that our front line isn't creative at all. Rashford became a mere finisher, Garnacho is mostly on the same trajectory. Sancho could have been useful but faded away. Antony faded into obscurity even though I hoped, he would help with that and with Amad, we have to see where stuff goes.

The task at hand is to improve the team, selling Bruno (for me at least) wouldn't be a "taking out the sting" operation, more of a generate funds to move forward. I'd sell all our wingers bar Garnacho and Amad for the exact same reason. The team would take a hit, results may drop even more but I think in the long run, we'd benefit.
Harsh on garnacho as for me he's the exact type of winger we need IMO. At least, the right wing version of garnacho. He'll create and be a goal threat in equal measure there and just cause problems all game. I don't like him on the left as he goes into Rashford mode of trying to cut in always and playing with his head down. He actually makes good decisions on the right as naturally you can lift your head up more, and he picks his moments for shooting on his left with more intelligence.