Bruno Fernandes Portugal flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Tell me you didn’t watch pre-season? We clearly played differently to last season trying a completely new system. A system we have carried out in the community shield and the first game of the season. Guessing you just looked at the results in isolation?
I've seen almost all pre-season matches but given that most of the 1st team was missing, it is bound to look different to what we looked like last season, don't you think? And what was different in the Community shield, City was dominating the match for most parts of it. We nicked a goal and we gave them a fight. And we had 2 to 4 nice passing sequences in there. Thats about it.

It is fine, if you don't agree with me. It is early days so if any trends are there, it is probably too soon, to really see them. But lets not act as if changes appearing left right and center and I am the only one to not see it. Because you are building from the same small samplesize as I do. But go ahead - what is the completely new system? And what is clearly different to last season?

The chances he missed were pretty bad, but barring that I don’t think he was as bad as some are implying.

We lost control of the game when he replaced Mount in midfield. The system doesn't seem to work with him as a midfielder, which might bring problems.

I've seen almost all pre-season matches but given that most of the 1st team was missing, it is bound to look different to what we looked like last season, don't you think? And what was different in the Community shield, City was dominating the match for most parts of it. We nicked a goal and we gave them a fight. And we had 2 to 4 nice passing sequences in there. Thats about it.

It is fine, if you don't agree with me. It is early days so if any trends are there, it is probably too soon, to really see them. But lets not act as if changes appearing left right and center and I am the only one to not see it. Because you are building from the same small samplesize as I do. But go ahead - what is the completely new system? And what is clearly different to last season?
The system is clearly different. In defensive the team is utilising a 4-2-4 with the four attackers tasked with creating a defensive box for high pressing. Rather than the single pivot we used last season there’s a far more clear 2 midfielders sat behind the 4. It’s basically completely different to last season so I’m surprised that watching pre-season you haven’t noticed that. The press has looked notably better already and for 45 minutes against Fulham they couldn’t get out at all. I also don’t agree with you assessment of the city game. We were dominated in the first 20 but after that we grabbed a foothold and had arguably one of our most promising displays agaisnt them, completely stifling their chance creation and carving them open for multiple great opportunities. If those chances go in, the narrative would be completely different.

All in all, watching pre-season, the team has built game on game upon the new system and tactics and looked more comfortable doing so with each passing game. The issue is that with new players coming in, other players returning late, we haven’t yet had the chance to instil this principles into every player, but pretending they don’t exist at all is disingenuous. The concern is that in spells we have also reverted to type of last season i.e the second half against Fulham. What we will have to find out is whether that is just a hangover from last season, or simply new players getting up to speed.

This is something that most fans will only be willing to accept years after he's gone and we finally get to build a team that can actually keep possession of a football. Then it may finally dawn on them that building a team to play turnover football was why we never got anywhere near a league title.

In the main forum fans are celebrating his new 300k contract extension... Basically ensuring that for the next 3 years minimum we'll be a team who don't control games of football, as at the heart of everything we do are players who are addicted to giving the ball back to the opposition.

And Bruno's not the only one to be fair. In terms of current key senior players, Casemiro and Rashford are big culprits.
I hope we sell him next year and move to playing Mainoo as a link man closer to the box instead.

I personally hate this kind of football. Keep the bloody ball.

This is something that most fans will only be willing to accept years after he's gone and we finally get to build a team that can actually keep possession of a football. Then it may finally dawn on them that building a team to play turnover football was why we never got anywhere near a league title.

In the main forum fans are celebrating his new 300k contract extension... Basically ensuring that for the next 3 years minimum we'll be a team who don't control games of football, as at the heart of everything we do are players who are addicted to giving the ball back to the opposition.

And Bruno's not the only one to be fair. In terms of current key senior players, Casemiro and Rashford are big culprits.
When you consider that all 3 are on crazy contracts, that is grim. Rashford has 4 years, Bruno 3 years and Case 2 years. I thought the new regime had learnt from the mistakes of the old but the bruno contracts show they really haven't.

When you consider that all 3 are on crazy contracts, that is grim. Rashford has 4 years, Bruno 3 years and Case 2 years. I thought the new regime had learnt from the mistakes of the old but the bruno contracts show they really haven't.
We're paying our best player what he's worth. What's wrong with that?

Did anyone notice how he's improve his half turn on the ball, thought that was one of his weaknesses, last night he had two or three moments when he open the pitch up by make the right body faint and turn.
This. This is what I’ve noticed over the last 8-9 months. Before he wasn’t great on the half turn. Now he’s pretty good.

He’s really worked hard in training on wriggling out of those situations with body feints and small turns. Along with his superb timing of off the ball runs, it’s elevated his game.

Me too. Didnt we play that whenever Bruno started and wasn't shifted out on the wing? It's a system I don't like at all
Think we tried a 4-3-3/4-1-4-1 most of last season, with two advanced #8s. Now we are back to a double pivot.

Think we tried a 4-3-3/4-1-4-1 most of last season, with two advanced #8s. Now we are back to a double pivot.

On paper that might be the case but I'd have to check a heatmap of Bruno again as he was more or less acting as a second striker leaving us heavily exposed in midfield. Let's see what EtH does about that this season. Not sure putting Mainoo a bit deeper will be enough.

We're paying our best player what he's worth. What's wrong with that?
Because he's vastly overrated, approaching 30 years old and now on massive wages. The problem is the previous regime put Rashford and Mount on even bigger wages, so they had to give him a pay rise.

However I did note they didn't give a 4 year contract. At the end of the season he'll have two years left on his contract, albeit with an extra year if we choose to trigger it. Hopefully we sell him next year but I doubt any of the best teams will take him. Maybe an Italian team but they wouldn't be able to afford him.

On paper that might be the case but I'd have to check a heatmap of Bruno again as he was more or less acting as a second striker leaving us heavily exposed in midfield. Let's see what EtH does about that this season. Not sure putting Mainoo a bit deeper will be enough.
Bruno being the main man means unless you have two world class players in the pivot, you'll always be exposed and have teams run through you.

Mainoo is our most talented player, and in time to come we should build around him. But he does not have the engine or range of passing to play as deep as he does, he's amazing on the ball, I said in a previous post sometimes he looks more like a futsal player. We should be playing him higher up the pitch, he can be a world class link man in the positions half.

300k a week is not a crazy contract for a Manchester United star player. Manchester United can pay those wages without much issue. The only problem is that some players arent performing as star players. Bruno does perform as a star player though.

Because he's vastly overrated, approaching 30 years old and now on massive wages. The problem is the previous regime put Rashford and Mount on even bigger wages, so they had to give him a pay rise.

However I did note they didn't give a 4 year contract. At the end of the season he'll have two years left on his contract, albeit with an extra year if we choose to trigger it. Hopefully we sell him next year but I doubt any of the best teams will take him. Maybe an Italian team but they wouldn't be able to afford him.
He's not vastly overrated though. Also, he's shown no signs of falling off quality wise. And why on earth would you want to sell him next year? Again, he's out best player.
The new regime should be looking at far more complexity than just "best player".
So what you're saying is that the new regime should ignore the quality of players?

The system is clearly different. In defensive the team is utilising a 4-2-4 with the four attackers tasked with creating a defensive box for high pressing. Rather than the single pivot we used last season there’s a far more clear 2 midfielders sat behind the 4. It’s basically completely different to last season so I’m surprised that watching pre-season you haven’t noticed that. The press has looked notably better already and for 45 minutes against Fulham they couldn’t get out at all. I also don’t agree with you assessment of the city game. We were dominated in the first 20 but after that we grabbed a foothold and had arguably one of our most promising displays agaisnt them, completely stifling their chance creation and carving them open for multiple great opportunities. If those chances go in, the narrative would be completely different.

All in all, watching pre-season, the team has built game on game upon the new system and tactics and looked more comfortable doing so with each passing game. The issue is that with new players coming in, other players returning late, we haven’t yet had the chance to instil this principles into every player, but pretending they don’t exist at all is disingenuous. The concern is that in spells we have also reverted to type of last season i.e the second half against Fulham. What we will have to find out is whether that is just a hangover from last season, or simply new players getting up to speed.
Don't want to derail the thread as there is another one about the potential formation switch. I don't see that to be perfectly honest. Casemiro and Mainoo went up on a regular basis, not sure why we would class that as a double pivot when it can be the same midfield outlay as last season with roaming 8s who push up but are also ready to drop back. Guess we should wait and watch the next 5 to 6 games before jumping to conclusions. Hearing that ETH is known to be a bit stubborn and him not moving away from his system last year (even when it really hurt), makes me think, that he isn't going to change it now. Same system with different players. And don't get me wrong, thats no criticism - ETHs system isn't exotic or anything, hasn't been last year as well. It just didn't work for us for the most part due to the personel not being available or unsuited or not used to the new roles.

Brighton 2:1 Man Utd New
He was rubbish, strangely avoids criticism because he's a moments player and in a disjointed team his influence is unmatched.

Overall unimpressed by the midfield today.

I know exactly the moment Ten Hag lost his mind and took him off.

As soon as he fell to the ground and then got up after 30 seconds whilst play was going. As soon as he got up he received the ball and played a dummy and lost the ball. He is just not a leader.

B2B horror shows after signing a new deal
I said it after the first game. Time and time again, no matter the club or the player, once a player gets that bumper deal they’re just shite for a bit.

He was genuinely in mental form for that 10-12 games leading up to it as well…

B2B horror shows after signing a new deal

That's my take here too. But apparently because he does some things incredibly well, he cannot be criticised on here.

His floor is too low. He's not consistent enough. And he's been poor in two matches in a row after signing a deal he should not have been given.

I think, he got frustrated very early in the game and it effected him too much. Understandably to a degree, thinking he got fouled and not seeing the ref reacting to it - but today it may have got the better of him. I think, when we played quickly, his technical issues are more clear to see but given his ability with passes, we'll live with that. I can understand subbing him but to replace him with McTom was just wrong - I knew it was going to be hoofball as soon as he stood at the sideline. But why would you take off Bruno when hoofball is the plan? He is pretty good at it...

Watch him repeat last season, be shyte for 70% of the games then wake up at the end and look a world beater when we'll be fighting for the europa leaugue spots

Hated his sarcastic smirk/smile while being subbed off.

Not that i fully agree with the sub, but he's not as good as he thinks he is.

I'm all for subbing him off. Absolutely no issues with that. 1) He plays/ends game far too much 2) we need some variation on the pitch other than hot potato first time through balls and 3) he usually answers back with better performances (on the extremely rare occasions he actually does get benched).

Unfortunately it’s just not realistic to upgrade him and Rashford when there’s so much other shit, and they’re the only players who’ve hit a good level for us in the last few years. But that should be the long term plan. Fernandes is such a donkey most of the time. Really struggle to watch him.

How much are we paying him with the new contract? 250k/300k a week? Nice

Unfortunately it’s just not realistic to upgrade him and Rashford when there’s so much other shit, and they’re the only players who’ve hit a good level for us in the last few years. But that should be the long term plan. Fernandes is such a donkey most of the time. Really struggle to watch him.
This is so frustrating to read. The only player I've seen had more bad games than both of them is Harry fecking Maguire, and that's not an exaggeration.

Bruno will do 99 terrible things and 1 thing will come off. The problem is those 99 things mean we can't build a proper midfield. Rashford isn't worth the persistence. I genuinely think if we looked at Rashfords last 100 games, most of them have been shit performances, especially given that during the 30 goal season, he stopped playing well from March.