Bruno Fernandes Portugal flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Strange to sub him off, out attacks flow through Bruno. Maybe he had a knock.
Even Ten Hag had enough of his whining. At one point just before he got taken off, he got tackled, lost the ball, threw himself to the ground, stayed down for sometime, got up, someone passed the ball to him and he immediately lost it by attempting a nonsensical move

He looked bad physically today - I don’t know whether he was carrying something or the knock early on contributed but he looked lethargic

Once our team is fully fit, I don't want to see Bruno play anywhere but in that traditional 10 position.

He is the link between defence and attack, and we are not good when he's not on the pitch.

I'm sick of seeing him play left, right, false 9 of wherever. Name another team that continuously plays their best player out of position.

I don't know why Erik keeps moving him around. Just play him on no10 position and only on no10. Under Erik he was on left wing, right wing, false 9 and no8.

And why sub him off while we need a goal?

I don't know why Erik keeps moving him around. Just play him on no10 position and only on no10. Under Erik he was on left wing, right wing, false 9 and no8.

Tend to agree with this to be honest. It’s number 10 or not at all for me.

Looked very frustrated today, getting annoyed with Amad and the defenders.

Even Ten Hag had enough of his whining. At one point just before he got taken off, he got tackled, lost the ball, threw himself to the ground, stayed down for sometime, got up, someone passed the ball to him and he immediately lost it by attempting a nonsensical move
That's what I thought too, deserved to be subbed off for throwing his toys out of the pram and putting us in danger in that phase, but feck me would I also be triggered by the ref's incompetence and also Rashford and Amad (then Garnacho) busy competing to be the most shite winger.

Lost count of the post on here over the years calling for Bruno to be subbed off...so I have no problem with the manager subbing him off today in the 80th minute.

Thought he was poor again today. Don't think the 424/4222 type role suits him as it's been proven time and again that he best impacts games as a free floating 10 behind a forward 3.

Also a harsh nitpick: the Zirkzee offsides was actually on Bruno, who played it far across goal instead of into a wide open JZ in the middle. Like I said, super harsh and not really blaming him but after rewatching the game I think Zirkzee was fully expecting that pass and when he slid and couldn't get to it he was fecked positionally.

Hitching the team's wagon to him and Rashford for the next 3 years means the probability of having a normal midfield or attack is very low.
Yes exactly this. We'll continue to be dysfunctional in midfield and attack.

Seems to have been overlooked a bit but thought his pass for the disallowed goal was very poor. It was a straightforward pass to square it Zirkzee for a tap in but he over hit it.

Solve this fecking riddle —

He’s the solution but he’s also the problem.
He’s the best player but he’s also the worst.
He builds your attack but you can’t build anything with him.
He’s the weakest link but without him you are very weak.
He’s your captain your leader but he also behaves like a child.

I think giving him a new contract when he already had 2+1 to go on his existing deal will turn out to have been a poor decision for the club

Seems to have been overlooked a bit but thought his pass for the disallowed goal was very poor. It was a straightforward pass to square it Zirkzee for a tap in but he over hit it.
Fully agree with you. Simple square pass for a tap in and he has messed it up. One of the things that's stopped Bruno from being a top player is his inability to do the simple things properly. He is too erratic and emotional for my liking and I think United should be looking at a top creative players to upgrade the side.

Solve this fecking riddle —

He’s the solution but he’s also the problem.
He’s the best player but he’s also the worst.
He builds your attack but you can’t build anything with him.
He’s the weakest link but without him you are very weak.
He’s your captain your leader but he also behaves like a child.

It's also telling that Bruno has thrived whenever the midfield is disjointed. Arguably he's not played one season where United have a functioning midfield and he offsets the balance by continually restricting the options to a double pivot system as he doesn't have the discipline or intelligence to play deeper.

I think he's integral at this moment in time but next season if someone like Wharton is a target you have to start looking the viability of persisting with a 10 when it could be far more beneficial to deploy three in the middle to create overloads and recycle the ball more effectively.

Completely agree. ETH pisses me off with his usage of Bruno. It just smacks of trying to be too clever and over-complicating something that should be simple.

Not at his best but he's still the fulcrum of our team and we just fell apart when he came off. He's the only world class player we have.

He was awful today and us falling apart at the end doesn't have to do much with him at all :lol:

Even the pass for the offside goal was something he messed up, it should have been a simple tap in for Zirkzee but he overhit it to Garnacho instead

He is a huge asset and a huge liability at the same time. It is absolutely possible to envision a midfield with two excellent defensive midfielders (and mobile CBs) behind him, giving him a platform to attempt his mad through ball spam. But that isn't what we have now. And it creates a state of chaos-ball that we do not thrive in due to our immobile defenders and CMs.

He desperately needs to reign in his instincts like, 10%, but ultimately he never will.

Last edited:
I said it in toney thread, but fernandes is yet another player who'd benefit from a proper target man. In all his time here he hasn't had one, and the burden on the likes of him, garnacho, amad and so on to produce good stats without a proper striker (consistently fit) is very hard. If we had haaland up front for example, these players stats would be infintiely better. stats dont win anything of course, but we need a striker the same way we needed defenders. strenghtening one area improves the others.

Not at his best but he's still the fulcrum of our team and we just fell apart when he came off. He's the only world class player we have.

Yep. Think we have some world class potential now, but fernandes remains our best player.

He, like a few others, has the excuse that he'll be lacking match sharpness after missing basically all of preseason.
Hopefully he can get back to fully firing quickly because he's needed

I'm utterly staggered people think he's world class. He's not even close. He's inconsistent and only even remotely effective because of our haphazard, transition style of play. He's so painfully average playing on the half turn and shielding the ball under pressure. Is the antithesis of composure and control. Poor in front of goal. No club challenging for major honours would be clamouring to sign him if he was available, or give him the license that we do to do whatever he pleases on the pitch. We don't have a prayer of building a cohesive midfield that can build through the middle and look to control games if he remains a mainstay in the team. The whole 'he's the best we have' argument is so bloody myopic. He's not the only problem, but he very much is a problem. We will never progess to challenge for a league whilst persisting with this transition, ping pong style of football that we have to play to get the best out of a player that isn't special in any way shape or form. Extending his contract is an awful decision by the club.

I'm utterly staggered people think he's world class. He's not even close. He's inconsistent and only even remotely effective because of our haphazard, transition style of play. He's so painfully average playing on the half turn and shielding the ball under pressure. Is the antithesis of composure and control. Poor in front of goal. No club challenging for major honours would be clamouring to sign him if he was available, or give him the license that we do to do whatever he pleases on the pitch. We don't have a prayer of building a cohesive midfield that can build through the middle and look to control games if he remains a mainstay in the team. The whole 'he's the best we have' argument is so bloody myopic. He's not the only problem, but he very much is a problem. We will never progess to challenge for a league whilst persisting with this transition, ping pong style of football that we have to play to get the best out of a player that isn't special in any way shape or form. Extending his contract is an awful decision by the club.
You are 100% correct. Tired of people saying he is world class. So frustrating with his stupid outside of the boot efforts. Missed a good chance against Fulham doing same

Poor start to the season but should never have been subbed today. You’d hope this isn’t following the trend of staggering performance drop off after getting a new contract.

The only thing staggering is some of the takes in this post.

People are desperate to make him seem better than he is(world class) but can't seem to understand why we've been largely shite while he's been the main man at the club. The guy is the biggest fraud in world football. A month or so of decent form at the end of last season was enough to fool the morons yet again. Two games and two shit performances so far with plenty more to come no doubt.

The reason ETH moves Bruno around every where is because he has realised that playing this supposed midfielder in midfield is tactical suicide. He will give the ball away recklessly and has no idea when to push or pull. So as long as he is out on the wings or as the false nine at least his kamikaze ways won't hurt the team as much. Now with a new contract and the captaincy we are stuck with this fraudster for years to come, destroying any hope of a cohesive midfield.

People are desperate to make him seem better than he is(world class) but can't seem to understand why we've been largely shite while he's been the main man at the club. The guy is the biggest fraud in world football. A month or so of decent form at the end of last season was enough to fool the morons yet again. Two games and two shit performances so far with plenty more to come no doubt.

The reason ETH moves Bruno around every where is because he has realised that playing this supposed midfielder in midfield is tactical suicide. He will give the ball away recklessly and has no idea when to push or pull. So as long as he is out on the wings or as the false nine at least his kamikaze ways won't hurt the team as much. Now with a new contract and the captaincy we are stuck with this fraudster for years to come, destroying any hope of a cohesive midfield.
The biggest fraud in world football yet also weirdly one of the most consistent chance creators. Yeah...makes sense.

The biggest fraud in world football yet also weirdly one of the most consistent chance creators. Yeah...makes sense.

Chance creation is a useless stat as has been explained plenty of times. It is boosted up by people who take corners and free kicks for their teams. Here is the list of top ten chance creators for the EPL last season:

Bruno Fernandes
Pascal Gross
Martin Odegaard
Bukayo Saka
Andreas Pereira
Morgan Gibbs-White
Phil Foden
Cole Palmer
Alfie Doughty
Gustavo Hamer

Unless you think Alfie Doughty actually "creates" more chances than a Son or Salah or KDB because numbers.

You just need to watch fraudnandes play to realise the chances he creates are usually quick first time balls over the top into space for a winger to run into(apart from set pieces). Against the low block he is about as creative as Mctom. His left foot is also crap which is why he's been trying to spam the outside of the foot attempts. All the arguments for Bruno are the same as the arguments for Rashford years ago. But but the numbers? the stats? Just rewatch the first two games of the season and remember this guy is the highest paid player on the team, the 'best' player and the captain. If United fans are actually happy with what he's providing then they deserve this shit.

Chance creation is a useless stat as has been explained plenty of times. It is boosted up by people who take corners and free kicks for their teams. Here is the list of top ten chance creators for the EPL last season:

Bruno Fernandes
Pascal Gross
Martin Odegaard
Bukayo Saka
Andreas Pereira
Morgan Gibbs-White
Phil Foden
Cole Palmer
Alfie Doughty
Gustavo Hamer

Unless you think Alfie Doughty actually "creates" more chances than a Son or Salah or KDB because numbers.

You just need to watch fraudnandes play to realise the chances he creates are usually quick first time balls over the top into space for a winger to run into(apart from set pieces). Against the low block he is about as creative as Mctom. His left foot is also crap which is why he's been trying to spam the outside of the foot attempts. All the arguments for Bruno are the same as the arguments for Rashford years ago. But but the numbers? the stats? Just rewatch the first two games of the season and remember this guy is the highest paid player on the team, the 'best' player and the captain. If United fans are actually happy with what he's providing then they deserve this shit.
But your argument falls down when it becomes clear that he doesn't consistently top chance creation tables because of set pieces. And to say against a low block he'd about as creative as mctom gives your bias against fernandes away about as clearly as your 'fraudnandes' (I mean grow up).

And yes, given KdB was injured for a large part of last season and son was poor, I wouldn't be surprised if doughtie created more for his team. Your argument seems to hinge upon 'ignore the numbers and trust me bro.'

But your argument falls down when it becomes clear that he doesn't consistently top chance creation tables because of set pieces. And to say against a low block he'd about as creative as mctom gives your bias against fernandes away about as clearly as your 'fraudnandes' (I mean grow up).

And yes, given KdB was injured for a large part of last season and son was poor, I wouldn't be surprised if doughtie created more for his team. Your argument seems to hinge upon 'ignore the numbers and trust me bro.'

Watch the team you claim to support. Like I said Fraudnandes is 2/2 in shit performances this season. Let's see where he is at the end of the season where you can feel free to celebrate his place at the top of the absolutely meaningless chance creation table while the team suffers in the actual league table.

Watch the team you claim to support. Like I said Fraudnandes is 2/2 in shit performances this season. Let's see where he is at the end of the season where you can feel free to celebrate his place at the top of the absolutely meaningless chance creation table while the team suffers in the actual league table.
Ah, the old classic fallback of 'you obviously aren't watching as you disagree with me'. I saw both games, thanks. He was ok against Fulham and poor yesterday. Though we still went to shit when he came off (though you'll obviously claim that was unrelated). But keep hating the one bright point of the last five years for united mate (fraudnandes, wow so funny and original!) You do you.

Him, Dalot, Mainoo and Martinez played some lovely interchange football in the first half to beat Brightons press. It was great to watch.