Bruno Fernandes Portugal flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
He must be the most overrated player of this clubs history. Just because the standards are at an all time low and he's the talisman of this "team" some people think he's world class :lol: Big fish in a small pond. Will be remembered nothing more than a statpadder when he's finally gone.

We haven't had a solid midfield for years (and he's a big reason for that) and what do you do to solve it?

Yeah, give him a new contract when he's 30 and there was no need for that instead of selling to Saudi before his value massively drops :lol: We deserve everything we got in our way.

He'll score next week and everything will be swept under the carpet. It's so predictable.

For Liverpool’s first goal, as Gravenberch carried the ball into space he had about three passing options but played the simple ball to Salah who played the cross to Diaz to score. Bruno had a similar scenario not long before but tried to play the most difficult pass to Rashford. It pretty much sums him up. We’ll never create chances consistently with some one like him as a focal point. Cares more about goals and assists and his own personal highlights than the result.

He's very arrogant on the pitch and nowhere near as good as he thinks he is.

Awful, picking the wrong passes constantly, killing moves and putting people under preasure when there was an obvious easier pass. That one that he screwed up to Rashford as well when he should have played him in earlier instead of going to Garnacho, where the only thing Garnacho could do was go back to Bruno. He really just doesn’t read the game well at all.

We’ll be far better when we get a proper 10 in the team who just takes the ball, turns, gives it, gets it over and over again in a game. It’s really not that complicated to me, this fecking Opta obsession is killing the game, his role is one that the play should constantly be going through as he moves around the pitch.

We’ll be far better when we get a proper 10 in the team who just takes the ball, turns, gives it, gets it over and over again in a game. It’s really not that complicated to me, this fecking Opta obsession is killing the game, his role is one that the play should constantly be going through as he moves around the pitch.

You could argue that these things should be coached out of him. If he's doing something that isn't right, the coach/manager is there to instruct him not to do that. Of course, Bruno takes responsibility when he's on the pitch, but he can be coached better.

At the same time, he was too frustrating today and was generally very poor. We need a good rotational option for him.

He’s had a poor start to this season and this was his worst game. Even before our collapse, too many plays were stopped due to a bad pass from him, which slowed down the play.

I love the guy, but really needs to pick up form after the international break.

Defend him all you like and keep rolling his stats out but he is far too chaotic as a player to build around and with it you won’t win major honours.

Absolutely rubbish, kudos to the fans exposing his nonchalant performances because if another player in the team does what Bruno is doing you wouldn't hear the last of it.

Consistently gives possession away and against top teams it changes the tide of games.

I'm convinced that Bruno has a muted influence in a team that has a cohesive midfield alongside a decent coach.

It's worth considering that United have never featured a balanced midfield whenever he's in the team.

Call it a coincidence but his lack of positional discipline forces the double pivot midfield and it poses the question is his involvement in the team worth sacrificing a system where you can have a base three across the midfield preventing being overrun in the midfield or teams just out hustling the single holding 6 as we saw time and time again last season with Amrabat, Mainoo and Casemiro.
I have been called names in here, for saying how poor Bruno is.

1. Bruno is specimen of how we play.
2. Bruno is the 'master' of transition football.
3. Bruno is a poor midfielder, he can't dribble, run with the ball, no physicality,can't control football games, can't defend, can't turn on half turn, incredibly his output has gone completely down.
4. HIS Positional play with all his deficiencies is what create the gaping hole in the midfield.

Since 2020, when Ole turn into this transition football, ball over the top to Rashford thing,, we have never had any meaningful positive change in our football plans.

Ole in his time NEVER SCORED A GOAL against Liverpool in Anfield in PL

ETH in his time HAS NEVER SCORED A GOAL against Liverpool in ANFIELD IN PL
ETH in his time HAS NEVER WON A GAME AGAINST CITY in Etihad in PL

We have been beaten by 3 goals or more since 2020 more like 15 times.

Anfield alone in PL we have conceded 13 goals since 2020 without SCORING EVEN 1 ( ONE ) GOAL

2020 _ 2-0
2022 _ 4-0
2023_ 7-0

We have to go to Anfield this season, the number will rise of course.

In the same period, Liverpool has scored 15 goals in PL at Old Trafford

3-0 today
2-2 in April
1-2 _ 2022
5-0 _ 2021
4-2 _ 2021

Again, using just your eyes and brains, you can tell since 2020 the balance of power shifted massively, and CRUCIALLY, IT HAS NEVER turned back.. Why because we play how we used to play in 2020. Nothing has changed really. But interestingly, we have changed so many players
100% he is a massive issue and his lack of positional discipline causes havoc for us. City get away with playing to 10’s because A) they work hard AND smart but also B) they control the game and don’t constantly give the ball away. If you’re bombing forward or pressing high up and next thing you’ve given the ball away centrally completely unnecessarily, of course you’re gonna be completely on the back foot in defensive transition. He’s a massive liability. Himself and Rashford, along with the manager and sick note Shaw need to leave asap.
10 months ago, I wrote in the old ETH thread that in 18 months either ETH or Bruno will not be here, and it will come to pass not because I am a prophet but because it's so easy to see what our problems is. A unbalanced midfield. And Bruno is the cause of it.

So it's either ETH grows some balls to shift Bruno or Bruno deficiencies takes the team down and ETH is sacked.

When Bruno was given a new contract, I wrote ETH will be sacked before Bruno.
In short Bruno and ETH can not coexist and Man United win games and becomes a proper modern team.

We just need a courageous coach who will bin off Bruno immediately and set us up with a compact midfield immediately.

Last edited:
You could argue that these things should be coached out of him. If he's doing something that isn't right, the coach/manager is there to instruct him not to do that. Of course, Bruno takes responsibility when he's on the pitch, but he can be coached better.

At the same time, he was too frustrating today and was generally very poor. We need a good rotational option for him.

He’s never been this profile of player though. We have been up against it for years by trying to build a house upon a midfield talisman who does not encourage midfield control in any way. How can he be a base for us to build a structure and consistent platform from when he is at the heart and lacks so many football fundamentals for what looks like a top class midfielder?

3. Bruno is a poor midfielder, he can't dribble, run with the ball, no physicality,can't control football games, can't defend, can't turn on half turn, incredibly his output has gone completely down.
4. HIS Positional play with all his deficiencies is what create the gaping hole in the midfield.

Since 2020, when Ole turn into this transition football, ball over the top to Rashford thing,, we have never had any meaningful positive change in our football plans.

Anfield alone in PL we have conceded 13 goals since 2020 without SCORING EVEN 1 ( ONE ) GOAL

2020 _ 2-0
2022 _ 4-0
2023_ 7-0

3-0 today
2-2 in April
1-2 _ 2022
5-0 _ 2021
4-2 _ 2021

Again, using just your eyes and brains, you can tell since 2020 the balance of power shifted massively, and CRUCIALLY, IT HAS NEVER turned back.. Why because we play how we used to play in 2020. Nothing has changed really. But interestingly, we have changed so many players

10 months ago, I wrote in the old ETH thread that in 18 months either ETH or Bruno will not be here, and it will come to pass not because I am a prophet but because it's so easy to see what our problems is. A unbalanced midfield. And Bruno is the cause of it.

So it's either ETH grows some balls to shift Bruno or Bruno deficiencies takes the team down and ETH is sacked.

In short Bruno and ETH can not coexist and Man United win games and becomes a proper modern team.

We just need a courageous coach who will bin off Bruno immediately and set us up with a compact midfield immediately.

Agreed

2020 _ 2-0
2022 _ 4-0
2023_ 7-0

3-0 today
2-2 in April
1-2 _ 2022
5-0 _ 2021
4-2 _ 2021

Amen

He’s never been this profile of player though. We have been up against it for years by trying to build a house upon a midfield talisman who does not encourage midfield control in any way. How can he be a base for us to build a structure and consistent platform from when he is at the heart and lacks so many football fundamentals for what looks like a top class midfielder?

Yeah, I have to agree with what you're saying.

On the other hand, a large part of his game does revolve around being attacking and, at times, risky with the ball in order to create chances. When it pays off, it's great. When it doesn't, it's painful. My grumble with Bruno is that the short, basic passes, the simple things...these don't need to be risky and he has to be much tidier with those things. He also should be a lot better with his decision making, which was poor today. Most of the things that he was trying today should have been done a lot 'cleaner' than they actually were. Simple passes going astray, simple touches going wrong, making very poor choices at 0-0. I still say that these things can be improved on, because he has shown that he can do these things, but the consistency is not there.

City FA Cup Final
Not a coincidence we played a far more solid block in that game and won with classic 'Ole ball' underdog tactics, which is the only way we could win. That was a magnificent captain's performance from him that day and he thrives in certain conditions.

Very poor game from him today though.

On the other hand, a large part of his game does revolve around being attacking and, at times, risky with the ball in order to create chances. When it pays off, it's great..
:lol:
When has it paid off?

We've never been in any title race with Bruno,
We've never played even a QF in Champions League with Bruno, leave alone Semi or Finals

So the question is when has this Bruno play paid off? Critically, it has never. FA cup and Carabao cup are non nonsense when you finish 8th in the league and bottom in CL group stage.

Again I said, we pay too much in wages, now ( fans acknowledge of our players) yet receive too little in return from these players.

When has it paid off?

We've never been in any title race with Bruno,
We've never played even a QF in Champions League with Bruno, leave alone Semi or Finals

So the question is when has this Bruno play paid off? Critically, it has never. FA cup and Carabao cup are non nonsense when you finish 8th in the league and bottom in CL group stage.

Again I said, we pay too much in wages, now ( fans acknowledge of our players) yet receive too little in return from these players.
Bruno is the reason we've never been in a title race? Nonsense.

He’s 30 years old. He’s kind of beyond substantial coaching at this point, really. What you see is what you get.

The things that Fernandes is good at is why he leans so heavily into them. You ask him to play how a more conventional no.10 does and he’ll gigantically struggle because he’s not particularly quick, rather one footed, and can’t play with the ball under press.

Fuxking wank today and has been for some time.
The number of counter attacks that died with him today was unbelievable.
Ironically the things that people say he is good at.

On the other hand, a large part of his game does revolve around being attacking and, at times, risky with the ball in order to create chances. When it pays off, it's great. When it doesn't, it's painful. My grumble with Bruno is that the short, basic passes, the simple things...these don't need to be risky and he has to be much tidier with those things. He also should be a lot better with his decision making, which was poor today. Most of the things that he was trying today should have been done a lot 'cleaner' than they actually were. Simple passes going astray, simple touches going wrong, making very poor choices at 0-0. I still say that these things can be improved on, because he has shown that he can do these things, but the consistency is not there.

It’s been said in his defence many times that he takes risks and we want players to take risks. I don’t think anyone has an issue with trying to create. The issue is the low level of all the other stuff. The things as you say should have been done cleaner.

The absence of all of these things creates a huge burden on the overall structure of the team. You can’t be a #10 and opt out of play buiding. The knitting, stuff that Bruno almost treats as too boring or mundane for him. If he is to not play a key role in that side of the game, then who exactly is? A player like David Silva or even James fecking Maddison just makes the whole machine perform a lot better by just being a good footballer, in large amounts of situations, across a 90 minute game. By constantly playing the right one-touch pass to an overlapper, or being a guy who is passed to centrally and can evade a but of pressure and keep the ball moving, by which time the picture has changed and now your right back is running forward with space ahead of him. Just be a good footballer, concern yourself with being a statistical impacter of a game and just enable your teammates to play better.

Answer the question, when has This Bruno football paid off.

Answer that.. Only that.
This is a ridiculously framed question. A team isn't just Bruno. Today I watched Garnacho feck up nearly every attack, I watched Rashford dribble it out of play and turn around whilst on the attack, Zirkzee couldn't find a team mate to save his life and Casemiro went full self destruct.

Bruno isn't anything to do with that and I can imagine it's fecking demoralising watching all that around you. He doesn't get a free pass, but trying to pin our structural issues on Bruno is just plain mad.

2020 _ 2-0
2022 _ 4-0
2023_ 7-0

3-0 today
2-2 in April
1-2 _ 2022
5-0 _ 2021
4-2 _ 2021

I have to agree 100%.
Using 3 proper midfielders is the first step in order to go somewhere.
But it will never happen under ETH.

For Liverpool’s first goal, as Gravenberch carried the ball into space he had about three passing options but played the simple ball to Salah who played the cross to Diaz to score. Bruno had a similar scenario not long before but tried to play the most difficult pass to Rashford. It pretty much sums him up. We’ll never create chances consistently with some one like him as a focal point. Cares more about goals and assists and his own personal highlights than the result.
Bruno's decision making is absolutely horrendous. He kills more attacks than anyone in our team. When we're in transition and he's got the ball I don't even feel excited any more, I sit there and ask I wonder how he's going to manage to ruin this attack.

He was horrible today. Constantly out of position, poor passes when on the break and constantly found himself in more advanced positions than even Zirkzee. He's been good for us but he's been given too much freedom to roam around and we don't have midfield pivot that's good enough to cover for him, especially when we're up against an athletic midfield. There were a few times when Zirkzee won an aerial duel against Van Dijk or Konate and headed the ball down towards our midfield area which is easily won by a Liverpool CM because our captain is trying to run past Zirkzee or is in no position to receive a pass. Frustrating.

Last edited:
Bruno's decision making is absolutely horrendous. He kills more attacks than anyone in our team. When we're in transition and he's got the ball I don't even feel excited any more, I sit there and ask I wonder how he's going to manage to ruin this attack.
He’s inevitable, and not in a good way.

Was a point at 0-0 where he had Garnacho out right on the break and for some reason decided to try and thread a 10% ball to Zirksee (I think). He does things like this constantly and it is a big problem.

The decision to extend him and give him £300k a week for nothing was widely hailed on here (as usual) but it was a terrible financial and footballing decision that will age so horribly. I am so surprised that Ineos actually agreed to such a decision. Bruno has not had a good (or even a half decent) season since 20/21 and hamstrings the team so much tactically in exchange for below average production. Instead of actually playing like a 3rd midfielder, he plays like a second forward constantly leaving us outnumbered and overmatched in mdifield. I have never seen such a poor player being given so much freedom to do whatever he likes on the pitch. We treat him like he's Messi or Ronaldo when he's no better than your run of the mill attacking midfielder. If we played with an actual 3 in the middle we would be a lot better and a lot closer to at least having some presence in midfield. And it would open a whole new world of tactical flexibility for us. This can never be achieved with Bruno Fernandes in the team.