Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I’m sure you are enjoying yourself picking apart his rubbish @Paul the Wolf but maybe consider doing it via PM as it’s clogging a lot of the thread and making browsing difficult for mobile users like myself as from what I can see everyone else has pretty much ignored him.

I’m sure you are enjoying yourself picking apart his rubbish @Paul the Wolf but maybe consider doing it via PM as it’s clogging a lot of the thread and making browsing difficult for mobile users like myself as from what I can see everyone else has pretty much ignored him.

I think he's made mincemeat of Paul as far as EU democracy as a stand-alone subject goes, but thanks for your short post.

I've just been thinking back to how I voted when I lived in the UK and although I lived in quite a few different constituencies, they were all very safe seats and my vote actually counted for nothing the whole time, at least my vote in the 1975 referendum counted.
Ditto. When I moved down to London I had Greg Hands, Hammersmith & Fulham Tory. We got gerrymandered to Hamm/Shep Bush and majority swung to Labour. I voted for Andy Slaughter though. He's a local guy and a good constituency MP.
Was weird ultimately voting for Corbyn, which was anathema, but as a local MP he is excellent. Paul, dilemmas Paul.

As a rule, i don't debate Brexit policy on the forum any longer, but taking housing in isolation...

The previously posted Guardian article uses the world 'fantasy' quite frequently throughout the text, which i think is particularly apt given the writer's decision to ignore real-world realities and politics with his solutions. So to cite as some cure for our ills would be misplaced. Most of the aspiring homeowners i know, or those who have recently purchased, do not typically seek out high-density, high-rise locations with limited green space.

Strategically, i would focus on: land-banking/hoarding of planning applications (a serious issue going by the recent Budget), promotion of self-build schemes, and the regeneration towns and cities to reduce the push factors which may exist. While the departure from FoM ought to enable future governments to introduce other migration opportunities, and depending on the party hue improve the labour market, they are both medium-long term ambitions at this point. For the present, however, id' have supposed that EU citizens put the greatest strain on the rental sector as opposed to ownership. Of course with things as they are, an increasing proportion of the existing population are also vying for those very properties until such time as they can buy themselves. The extent of controls post-Brexit should depend on the numbers as well as the intended destination.

*Once again exits the echo chamber*
Been a while, hope all's well Nick.

The stamp duty cut on sub £300k properties won't work. Will raise prices. I dunno with landlords tbh. Ours always seemed to be overseas cheapskates.

Been a while, hope all's well Nick.

The stamp duty cut on sub £300k properties won't work. Will raise prices. I dunno with landlords tbh. Ours always seemed to be overseas cheapskates.

On the one hand, it's just that busy time of year; on the other, i'm just a little more selective with my interactions in the CE right now. The majority of posters are, mostly, settled as concrete in their positions (Brexit-wise at least), and circular discussions loaded with the same old invective carry little interest. I might pop by if anything is actually confirmed but otherwise...

I wouldn't have minded a Canadian trade deal a few week ago mind you. I ordered in some Christmas decorations from Banff you see, and while i expected to pay a degree of duty the £8 handling fee to the Royal Mail was less welcome. lol

And yeah, the stamp duty change might not be as advertised by Mr Hammond. Although in London and the home counties it's just one ingredient of many, what with the dichotomy of high demand but reduced buying power. An apartment i've been tracking dropped £20,000 off the asking price not long ago.

Last edited:
I think he's made mincemeat of Paul as far as EU democracy as a stand-alone subject goes, but thanks for your short post.

That may be so and I haven’t read any of it so can’t really comment because I started to ignore his posts after the absolute crap he was coming up with about Brexit etc.

Short and sweet always best ;)

Not quite sure how you make that one out, he keeps misquoting and telling falsehoods but we could all do that if we wanted to.I won't resort to that and furthermore he keeps mixing me up with you and quoting streams of your quotes in mine.

Most of my posts have been short throughout the thread unfortunately this poster keeps quoting other peoples texts and misquoting mine which has forced me to show where he is lying. I will take into consideration your point and will keep my posts shorter but I'm not PM' ing him

Not quite sure how you make that one out, he keeps misquoting and telling falsehoods but we could all do that if we wanted to.I won't resort to that and furthermore he keeps mixing me up with you and quoting streams of your quotes in mine.

Most of my posts have been short throughout the thread unfortunately this poster keeps quoting other peoples texts and misquoting mine which has forced me to show where he is lying. I will take into consideration your point and will keep my posts shorter but I'm not PM' ing him

Maybe he is getting paid. Maybe you are getting paid? How much do you make an hour posting here?

/S

How has he made mincemeat of Paul when his argument is inherently wrong? I appreciate that we can be of different opinion, but the facts are there, explained in about 50 different ways throughout this thread, and his claims are either invented or badly misrepresenting what actually happens.

@I Believe

To keep matters short and stop making the posts too large, let's clarify a few points as you keep repeating things that are not true.
All you have to do is quote the few quotes where I have stated what you claim I have stated:
The first is the least important but nevertheless as a point of order:
1. Where I called you a name
2. Where I said the the EU Commissioners are elected
3. Where I said the Council and the EU Parliament didn't pass legislation

Very short and sweet and yes it was 712 (not me) who introduced civil servants into the debate and yes the Commissioners are similar to senior civil servants, the difference being that the Commission change every 5 years and are appointed by the Heads of State, not lifetime serving civil servants no one can get rid of.

Furthermore who do you think is really doing the Brexit negotiations, a team of civil servants, Davis just pops in to Brussels, gets briefed , usually misunderstands and makes some inane speech, he's just a puppet.

Hardly a surprise that housing is a problem when wages have barely moved for decades yet house prices have tripled or more. A friend bought her house in Rotherham for 30k back in the 2000's, it's now worth about 120-150k. Buy to rent is fecking first time buyers, but we can't fix it without a resultant crash in house prices and a ton of negative equity for millions. Not sure how we get around it really.

From a catalan article:

Some NHS data

From the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC)

-89% less of Nurses and Miwifes that comes from UE post referendum
-11% more of nurses and midwifes that quits since the referndum compared than before
-40.000 nurses jobs vacant
-3.500 midwife jobs vacant

Nurses coming before vs nurses coming post referendum

Spain 1966/104
Romania 1604/216
Italy 1325/187
Poland 305/34

General Medical Council

- 67% more doctors (overall) quitting in 2016 compared with 2015

From the Health department Ministery (I don´t know how is called precisely in UK)

- More than 10.000 between Doctors, Nurses and sanitary personnel left since the referendum

Also the article says with several experts:

-The investment grows 1% when the demand of service grows 4%

-5 years ago, it was considered an investment of 33k Millions. Downing street would cover 11k millions the rest through cuts

-Shortage of personnel is substituted by nursing agencies that they are more expensive, short term, not familiar with the enviroment, permanent personnel trust them till a certain extend as there are life decisionmaking what it makes less rest time inside the shift and less quality

-Recommended ratio of 8 patients per nurse is utopic. More than 90% of nurses have more (Royal College of Nursing)

You think UK can´t generate resources and quality personnel short term? Special visas that gives assurance to the takers?

Hardly a surprise that housing is a problem when wages have barely moved for decades yet house prices have tripled or more. A friend bought her house in Rotherham for 30k back in the 2000's, it's now worth about 120-150k. Buy to rent is fecking first time buyers, but we can't fix it without a resultant crash in house prices and a ton of negative equity for millions. Not sure how we get around it really.

Negative equity won't fix it... because then people won't (can't sell as the mortgage companies won't authorise)...

Negative equity won't fix it... because then people won't (can't sell as the mortgage companies won't authorise)...

No exactly, plus you can't really help millions of first time buyers by totally fecking millions of home owners. It's going to have to be a gradual change, but they do really need to stop more house stock being bought up for buy to let.

No exactly, plus you can't really help millions of first time buyers by totally fecking millions of home owners. It's going to have to be a gradual change, but they do really need to stop more house stock being bought up for buy to let.
Arguably.... though perhaps the gradual change is a move towards that European model where renting is the norm and more protection exists for tennents... Then we probably need more buy to rent... not am easy equation to solve

That sounds unlikely unless the prices in South Yorkshire have risen at a quicker rate than other areas of Yorkshire I'm familiar with. It's nearer to doubling since circa 200 or slightly more than doubling in West/East Yorkshire and most house prices haven't gone up in the last 10 years either and are only just getting to pre-credit crunch levels.

That sounds unlikely unless the prices in South Yorkshire have risen at a quicker rate than other areas of Yorkshire I'm familiar with. It's nearer to doubling since circa 200 or slightly more than doubling in West/East Yorkshire and most house prices haven't gone up in the last 10 years either and are only just getting to pre-credit crunch levels.

I might be mixing the years up slightly, but she's around 40 and bought the house in her early 20's so it can't be far off.

et's clarify a few points as you keep repeating things that are not true.

See below

The first is the least important but nevertheless as a point of order:
1. Where I called you a name
2. Where I said the the EU Commissioners are elected
3. Where I said the Council and the EU Parliament didn't pass legislation

1) I didn't say you have, just you've have made crass remarks about being 'stupid', 'anyone with intelligence', etc. these are childish jibes that add nothing to your argument but are simply intended to incite or upset, which from my experience when someone resorts to this they are losing the argument. I have to admit at times I've returned the favour in-kind, 'spec savers' comments etc. but I am just suggesting we desist from such language.

2) You've never said that, as far as I recall, its simply you refuse to except that the law makers in the UK Parliament are elected, where as law makers in the EU Commission are not. If that is not the case and you do now accept the difference, then is the time to clarify!

3) Again as far as I can recall you never said this, but again you seem to refuse to accept that whilst the EU parliament is the elected by the public element, they do not instigate new laws, but carry out broadly the same role as our House Lords, they scrutinize, they offer amendments, on matters sent to them from the commission, but the MEPs cannot prevent the passage, ultimately of a new EU Law or Regulation. As @712 stipulated both systems have democratic elements, but the British/UK system is better and is seen to be better because its the Elected representatives making the running on instigating new laws.

yes the Commissioners are similar to senior civil servants, the difference being that the Commission change every 5 years and are appointed by the Heads of State, not lifetime serving civil servants no one can get rid of.

Thank you yes, you are on more solid ground here (in my view) for arguing levels of relative democracy between systems and about dismissal; Commissioners will change (although still unelected by the general populace of the EU) and its still (in my view), in many cases 'jobs for the boys' when Commissioners are nominated by heads of state, but as for Senior Civil Servants in the UK, I'm not even sure are they ever dismissed? As its inferred in terms of jobs for life, "they die with their boots on"

Furthermore who do you think is really doing the Brexit negotiations,

I suspect both Davis and Barnier are both card board cut-outs, but it could be argued both in their own way doing a reasonable job of batting the ball backwards and forwards, bluff and double bluff. IMO the main decisions are being made/will be made at Head of State levels and the actual details are being poured over by the minions in both Brussels and London, to try to ensure as much clarity as possible.
Although I feel the UK will finally buy its way out of the EU and into a trade deal with the EU, with more or less what it wanted, the relative weakness of both May and Merkel in their own countries and the untried Macron as a super heavyweight statesman still to be tested, then the unthinkable may happen and the cliff edge becomes a reality... the law of unintended consequences strikes again?

People are such fecking idiots.
In fairness there's also:
"How is allowing people to work a 'sham' from 'the left'?"
"Can't see asylum seekers being an issue in the labour market.
Integration is a bigger issue though."
"Perhaps working asylum seekers can be taken out of direct provision and pay their own way, reducing costs for the State."
"Exactly! Who could possibly argue that a working asylum seeker is somehow a worse proposition than a non-working one?
Apart from the 'dey tuk oor jobs' brigade of course."

Within the first 8 responses. Not that @The Outsider would quote them...

It looks like a number of Irish are facing the same concerns as the English, 55 pages of comment with things like,

'Irish can no longer even get labourers jobs'
'Irish are homeless and accommodation being given to asylum seekers'
'Thank God for the Brits and Brexit'
'We need Irexit'
http://www.politics.ie/forum/curren...ts-new-boost-asylum-seekers-can-now-work.html

Ah well, nobody ever said that Ireland was free of ignorant people. Thankfully those who have leaver leanings comprise so small a number as to be utterly irrelevant politically.

Also, "Eirexit" looks neater than "Irexit" to me.

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/house-prices/south-yorkshire/woodhouse/mauncer-lane/

Check out the first house in random Yorkshire town. 18k in 1997 -105500 in 2007! Granted it could have been modernised and extended a bit but there was insane appreciation in the Blair era. I remember in my early working life looking at a terrace for £20k, probably in the year 2000 or so, you would be looking at £80k for that house now. And that is with low growth since 2007. Wish I would have bought one back then.

Ah well, nobody ever said that Ireland was free of ignorant people. Thankfully those who have leaver leanings comprise so small a number as to be utterly irrelevant politically.

Also, "Eirexit" looks neater than "Irexit" to me.

I find it suffocating.:wenger:

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/house-prices/south-yorkshire/woodhouse/mauncer-lane/

Check out the first house in random Yorkshire town. 18k in 1997 -105500 in 2007! Granted it could have been modernised and extended a bit but there was insane appreciation in the Blair era. I remember in my early working life looking at a terrace for £20k, probably in the year 2000 or so, you would be looking at £80k for that house now. And that is with low growth since 2007. Wish I would have bought one back then.

Does my head in that I didn't back then. So many opportunities missed.

Does my head in that I didn't back then. So many opportunities missed.

My reasoning was I was too young to get a mortgage - doh! My parents considered buying a run down flat in Chelsea in the early 90s for about £150k but decided it was too far from Manchester to take on. Now that was a miss!

My reasoning was I was too young to get a mortgage - doh! My parents considered buying a run down flat in Chelsea in the early 90s for about £150k but decided it was too far from Manchester to take on. Now that was a miss!

Mine had the same idea! It was back when I was at uni and they were talking about buying on to let out to students. Don't know if it Chelsea, but it was London near one of the universities.

*edit* Thinking about it, considering I was at Portsmouth Uni at the time, them looking at flats in London was a bit of a dick move.. :lol:

:lol:

Unless they have the same opinion as me

Okay but I don't think that works when it comes to things like Brexit or Trump. Deciding to order a pizza isn't an equally intelligent choice for a night in as putting your head in a gas oven. At some point we have to recognise that not every choice is equally valid.

If someone genuinely believed that we could leave the EU and quickly get access to all the same benefits, not pay a penny and quickly conclude more beneficial free-trade deals with other nations, then I don't think I'm unreasonable in thinking that person to be a feckcumber. Equally someone who looked at Trump and said "That's the man for me" - I struggle with the idea that their stupidity should be written off as a mere difference of opinion that commands respect.

Biggest problem with discourse over the years has been people afraid to call out shit for what it is. In my opinion it's what UKIP owes a lot of its modern day influence and success on. Everyone treading on egg shells to respond to racism with: 'I respectfully disagree, but defend your right to an opinion and to be on every fecking media outlet expressing it, often unopposed'.

If you think I'm a moron for my political views then fine. Let's argue. But at what point do we actually acknowledge that someone voting for pixie dust (because the pixies need us more than we need them) is at best naive?

Okay but I don't think that works when it comes to things like Brexit or Trump. Deciding to order a pizza isn't an equally intelligent choice for a night in as putting your head in a gas oven. At some point we have to recognise that not every choice is equally valid.

If someone genuinely believed that we could leave the EU and quickly get access to all the same benefits, not pay a penny and quickly conclude more beneficial free-trade deals with other nations, then I don't think I'm unreasonable in thinking that person to be a feckcumber. Equally someone who looked at Trump and said "That's the man for me" - I struggle with the idea that their stupidity should be written off as a mere difference of opinion that commands respect.

Biggest problem with discourse over the years has been people afraid to call out shit for what it is. In my opinion it's what UKIP owes a lot of its modern day influence and success on. Everyone treading on egg shells to respond to racism with: 'I respectfully disagree, but defend your right to an opinion and to be on every fecking media outlet expressing it, often unopposed'.

If you think I'm a moron for my political views then fine. Let's argue. But at what point do we actually acknowledge that someone voting for pixie dust (because the pixies need us more than we need them) is at best naive?
I dont think you are a moron for your views, i leave the name calling to remainers.

Trump or Clinton, tuff choice, i hate both but glad yanks vote to fukk the same old out. Hopefully he wont increase the poverty that obama did.

I dont think you are a moron for your views, i leave the name calling to remainers.

Trump or Clinton, tuff choice, i hate both but glad yanks vote to fukk the same old out. Hopefully he wont increase the poverty that obama did.

Looking at his policies so far and the tax plan they've just passed, do you think they'll have a similar record when it comes to poverty by the end of their tenures? Even ignoring the fact that Obama came in post an economic crash?

Looking at his policies so far and the tax plan they've just passed, do you think they'll have a similar record when it comes to poverty by the end of their tenures? Even ignoring the fact that Obama came in post an economic crash?
Wait and see I guess. One of the managers I work with was in San Francisco last year and compared it to Johannesburg, where he comes from. So any improvement on that would be a plus.