Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Brexiters are experts in blaming everything on the EU. Their very political career depends on it as it will give them an excuse to justify a bad Brexit. I think that Barnier is trying to avoid making the EU look like the bad guy when possible.

Ah, Barnier totally changed his mind because of the evil Brexiters. Thanks for clearing that up.

Ah, Barnier totally changed his mind because of the evil Brexiters. Thanks for clearing that up.

Did he change his mind or was he talking through his backside because the transparency chapiter of the EU-UK art.50 terms reference reads like that:

Transparency
11. For both parties the default is transparency.
12. It is for the Party providing the information to state what, if any,
restrictions should apply to their further distribution.
13. Any disclosure by either the United Kingdom or the European
Commission of documents originating from the other Party will be
subject to prior consultation of the originating party.
14. Both Parties will handle negotiating documents in accordance with their
respective legislation.

Brexiteers promised an endless line of countries who will be begging the UK for a trade deal. According to them the EU will be the first in that line as it cant afford not selling wines and cars to the UK market. That isn't happening for obvious reasons which of course is bad news for both Brexiters and the UK's economic future. If shit hits fan then someone must take the blame and we all know whose the no 1 target for Brexiters.

I think that Barnier is acting wisely here by avoiding adding unnecessary fuel to 'the EU hates the UK' debate. We islanders tend to be quite resilient against an enemy that tries to bully us. My grandparents suffered starvation and great hardships because they perceived that Mussolini was bullying us (and you did the same in quite an number of wars as well) to submission. However we're equally unforgiving towards those caught trying to screw us up. If Barnier is able to stir the British public from the 'EU is bullying us' to 'Brexiters has sold us smoke' then things can get badly for Brexiters very quickly.

If you switch your sarcasm off then you'll notice that its probably yet another negotiation tactic used by Europe. It also explains why the EU has given red carpet treatment to JC. The idea behind it is "we like you guys, we want a close relationship with you but these idiots aren't making it happen"

Barnier is just 'window-dressing' for the other 24 states, a sop to them, to pretend they are somehow being consulted, or he may become a convenient 'patsy'(for both sides) if things do go pear shaped!

Germany, France and Britain will seek to sort this between them, its likely to require Britain to pay its leaving bill (if they can ever agree on what should be on it) and to give a contribution towards other matters, that will ensure solvency (i.e. nobody else paying anymore in or drawing any less out) for the EU for perhaps up to a decade, may depend on how long it will take for Germany and France to drive though to the new European Super State.

Estimated cost £80B, to paid over a decade e.g. £8B annually, in theory saving Britain £1-2B per year, at least that's how Theresa will probably try to present it to the nation (and to mollify Boris), its the 'best she can do', she will say. May will then, return and 'fall on her sword' more or less immediately like Cameron did, or when the Tory party 'grandees' order her to do so!

In return for all this guaranteed 'dosh' Britain will be granted access to the EU markets more or less as now, similarly the EU to the UK Market, with everything else more or less 'as is', there may have to be some special court of justice, set up that's made up of British legal eagles and the ECJ, to agree to oversee the rights of those citizens of both EU living here and Brits living in the EU countries. The Irish will sort their own border issues, as they have always (in reality) done and Britain and the EU will 'sandbag' whatever agreement is reached.

Last edited:
Barnier is just 'window-dressing' for the other 24 states, a sop to them, to pretend they are somehow being consulted, or he may become a convenient 'patsy'(for both sides) if things do go pear shaped!

Germany, France and Britain will seek to sort this between them, its likely to require Britain to pay its leaving bill (if they can ever agree on what should be on it) and to give a contribution towards other matters, that will ensure solvency (i.e. nobody else paying anymore in or drawing any less out) for the EU for perhaps up to a decade, may depend on how long it will take for Germany and France to drive though to the new European Super State.

Estimated cost £80B, to paid over a decade e.g. £8B annually, in theory saving Britain £1-2B per year, at least that's how Theresa will probably try to present it to the nation (and to mollify Boris), its the 'best she can do', she will say. May will then, return and 'fall on her sword' more or less immediately like Cameron did, or when the Tory party 'grandees' order her to do so!

In return for all this guaranteed 'dosh' Britain will be granted access to the EU markets more or less as now, similarly the EU to the UK Market, with everything else more or less 'as is', there may have to be some special court of justice, set up that's made up of British legal eagles and the ECJ, to agree to oversee the rights of those citizens of both EU living here and Brits living in the EU countries. The Irish will sort their own border issues, as they have always (in reality) done and Britain and the EU will 'sandbag' whatever agreement is reached.

So we'll actually be better off than we were before? Well stitch that Barnier.
Particularly pleased that the Irish problem's been sorted.
:)

[QUOTE
I don't see any good reason why we shouldn't give everyone the vote anyway. Committing any crime with a jail sentence shouldn't be automatic grounds for losing a fundamental right.[/QUOTE]

I disagree, I think it should be removed and restored when their liberty is also restored as a welcome back to society message.

[QUOTE
I don't see any good reason why we shouldn't give everyone the vote anyway. Committing any crime with a jail sentence shouldn't be automatic grounds for losing a fundamental right.

I disagree, I think it should be removed and restored when their liberty is also restored as a welcome back to society message.[/QUOTE]

Either way, it’s hardly a key factor in terms of weighing up the pros and cons of leave vs remain. Although a good Daily Mail propoganda issue.

I am told that Mr Johnson’s response when presented with inconvenient truths is to cover his ears and hum the national anthem until the bearers of the bad news go away. One of the things that gets him humming most loudly is the hard evidence that falling back on WTO rules would decimate Britain’s professional services businesses.

https://www.ft.com/content/5898bde4-b992-11e7-9bfb-4a9c83ffa852

This is how it goes according to Daniel Hannan, one of the architects of Brexit :

"After 43 years, we have pushed the door ajar. A rectangle of light dazzles us and, as our eyes adjust, we see a summer meadow. Swallows swoop against the blue sky. We hear the gurgling of a little brook. Now we stride into the sunlight."

Got it ?

This is how it goes according to Daniel Hannan, one of the architects of Brexit :

"After 43 years, we have pushed the door ajar. A rectangle of light dazzles us and, as our eyes adjust, we see a summer meadow. Swallows swoop against the blue sky. We hear the gurgling of a little brook. Now we stride into the sunlight."

Got it ?

What the feck did I just read.. :wenger:

Got it ?

Could he really be meaning: "vultures swooping overhead, the crash of waves on the rocks below. Blinded by the sunlight we walk straight off the edge of a cliff"

This is so obvious.

Basically, the EU can't make it easy allow and a favourable divorce for the UK. If they do, all other EU nations would line up and demand similar. That would be a trigger for EU to cease existence in its present format.

I tried this with my dad because he was a Brexiteer and he used the old German cars example of why they wouldn't try and shaft us.

It's so ridiculous that anyone thinks we've got a leg to stand on against a bloc of 26 other countries that we're taking our ball and going away from. We've got no bargaining position whatsoever on anything.

From wiki..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hirst_v_United_Kingdom_(No_2)

I don't see any good reason why we shouldn't give everyone the vote anyway. Committing any crime with a jail sentence shouldn't be automatic grounds for losing a fundamental right.

Going to prison does automatically take away many fundamental rights voting being only one of them. It puts a bit of a bind on your freedom of association and movement and your right to earn a living for example.

It always has stopped UK prisoners from voting and if you want to change that we are a democracy and if you win the argument then so be it.

I object to it being imposed over our elected governments head. You would too if you disagreed with the principle. I can't see how this isn't a UK matter under subsidiarity.

I tried this with my dad because he was a Brexiteer and he used the old German cars example of why they wouldn't try and shaft us.

It's so ridiculous that anyone thinks we've got a leg to stand on against a bloc of 26 other countries that we're taking our ball and going away from. We've got no bargaining position whatsoever on anything.
The majority of imports from eu come from just 6 or 7 countries, they might have something to lose but the likes of greece and Slovenia wont.

Going to prison does automatically take away many fundamental rights voting being only one of them. It puts a bit of a bind on your freedom of association and movement and your right to earn a living for example.

It always has stopped UK prisoners from voting and if you want to change that we are a democracy and if you win the argument then so be it.

I object to it being imposed over our elected governments head. You would too if you disagreed with the principle. I can't see how this isn't a UK matter under subsidiarity.

Did you read the link? It wasn't imposing anything, it was a judgement saying a blanket arbritrary ban wasn't ok. They weren't saying you can't remove voting rights from prisoners if you choose.

I disagree, I think it should be removed and restored when their liberty is also restored as a welcome back to society message.

Either way, it’s hardly a key factor in terms of weighing up the pros and cons of leave vs remain. Although a good Daily Mail propoganda issue.[/QUOTE]

No, it seems to be an example of how Britain falls over itself to implement everything whereas other EU states adopt protectionist policies like protecting their energy industry.

The amount I’ve just paid for a meal for 2 in Reykjavik makes me sad. Fecking Brexit and the plummeting GBP :(

i'm sort of hoping at this stage that the outlook gets so incredibly bleak for the UK that they basically have to cancel brexit.

i'm sort of hoping at this stage that the outlook gets so incredibly bleak for the UK that they basically have to cancel brexit.

It's a weird one for me, I've seen too much hatred now and think cancelling Brexit will cause uproar and the hatred will reach another level, it could possibly even lead to a Farage return to UKIP and a huge surge in votes for them. Sadly what these idiots need is to realise how shit things have become due to their stupidity.

It's a weird one for me, I've seen too much hatred now and think cancelling Brexit will cause uproar and the hatred will reach another level, it could possibly even lead to a Farage return to UKIP and a huge surge in votes for them. Sadly what these idiots need is to realise how shit things have become due to their stupidity.

How outrageous to refer to people as idiots just because of how they voted in the referendum.

But let's go with it...

I think it's time we stopped listening to the idiots altogether instead of pandering to them for fear of their response. Our entire Brexit strategy is guided by the WWDD principle. What would Dacre do?