Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just extend the transition while we sort Covid out, its bloody obvious. Why not focus on the most important thing affecting the country at the moment. Instead Covid competes with Brexit to be the top priority and businesses across the country stung by Covid now have to make sure they are all compliant before we leave at the end of the year. Its a fecking embarrassing state of affairs and how anyone thinks this Government is doing a good job is beyond me.
Tory friends

But legally under the WA the UK become third country as of the end of the year and thus I suspect legally the UK cannot have an extension even if they now wanted one.
Although they say most is agreed it's the last final legal parts that are important.

There is another complication that the EU states do not really want an agreement in place before they can scrutinise the deal properly i.e. they don't really want to approve it after it's already in place and it is also not guaranteed they every state will agree either and it may require amendments.

They've had plenty of time to resolve these outstanding issues but it does seem that Boris thought the EU would cave in if he held on long enough but the EU said in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020 that they will not agree to anything that compromises the single market .

Apart from that you know that if there was an extension they would do exactly the same as they have so far, drag their feet and spout more nonsense so when that extension was finishing another extension would be considered and so on ad nauseum.

That is very fair. Thanks again.

Because sorting out Tory voters is going to take a long time unfortunately.

I'm not even sure it's to do with Tory voters to be honest. If the Tories extended for 6 months the vast majority of brexiteers would be spinning how great the Tories are to take sensible action.

I think at this stage it's because all their MPs are playing a game of pretending to be the biggest Brexiteer. They can't withdraw from that mindset now they've made a career from it.

I think there have been given enough time for this to have been sorted orderly and in a efficient manner for both the EU and the English government. At some point you just have to move on and take it from there. Boris and the conservatives have done little but talking nonsense for years and now they about to go without a major deal to help make a structured path forward after 1 January. The EU are not perfect by any means but his mess is entirely the makings of a large portion of conservative party that been busy scheming to promote their own careers for decades. Both the covid and brexit situation reeks of incompetence from the Prime Minister and most of the ministers and advisors ( hello Dominic Cummings ).

The current conservative party are all bluster and little substance when it comes to actual governance. To go for a no orderly deal after 1 January while dealing with a messed up covid situation is beyond ineptness and is quite telling that those involved in creating this chaotic situation are way out of their level competence wise. Britain needs leadership that is pragmatic and with the ability to deal with situation in rational and structured manner. Less nonsense bluster and more intelligent and responsible governing is badly needed. I think Britain is about to find out the consequences for voting for people that talk rubbish with little care to the consequences stemming from it over the coming years.

Last edited:
Reactions: CassiusClaymore
I think there have been given enough time for this to have been sorted orderly and in a efficient manner for both the EU and the English government. At some point you just have to move on and take it from there. Boris and the conservatives have done little but talking nonsense for years and now they about to go without a major deal to help make structured path forward after 1 January. The EU are not perfect by any means but his mess is entirely the makings of a large portion of conservative party that been busy scheming to promote their own careers for decades. Both the covid and brexit situation reeks of incompetence from the Prime Minister and most of the ministers and advisors ( hello Dominic Cummings ).

The current conservative party are all bluster and little substance when it comes to actual governance. To go for a no orderly deal after 1 January while dealing with a messed up covid situation is beyond ineptness and is quite telling that those involved in creating this chaotic situation are way out of their level competence wise. Britain needs leadership that is pragmatic and with the ability to deal with situation in rational and structured manner. Less nonsense bluster and more intelligent and responsible governing is badly needed. I think Britain is about to find out the consequences for voting for people that talk rubbish with little care to the consequences stemming from it over the coming years.

That is a very sound and reasonable assessment.
Boris government and its infamous three word policy statements have run their course.
The UK is in desperate need of basic leadership and honesty, more than at any time in recent history.
But all we get is lies, mixed messages and confusion. Certainly no coherent strategy let alone tactical thinking.

Indeed... the numbers are easy to come to an agreement over... its how both sides can politically spin it to blame the other ... my gut feel is they will find a way of phasing down the quotas over time if they want to but as you say do they really want to
I appreciate your optimism.

It has been obvious for a long time that the Tories are happy with no deal.

Many have bet against the pound, it will fall after 1st Jan, then we'll cobble together a deal.

I appreciate your optimism.

Many have bet against the pound, it will fall after 1st Jan, then we'll cobble together a deal.
Possibly... as somebody who imports and exports the idea of having stuff in transit with changing rules is at best suboptimal ... I still think they patch up a shitty deal and blame each other for said shittyness but either way there is going to be a huge mess at the ports... my gut feel is that there is too much posturing and not enough blaming as I'd expect if no deal really was what both sides expected

I can’t see EU calling no deal, so imagine a deal has been made.
I'd have expected a joint conference for a deal? Or at least simultaneous

That said I think id have expected the same with no deal... we tried we are still friends etc

So perhaps it really is the start of the blame games?

Though I think the eu said before they wouldn't stop negotiating right up to 31st to try and get a deal?

I'd have expected a joint conference for a deal? Or at least simultaneous

That said I think id have expected the same with no deal... we tried we are still friends etc

So perhaps it really is the start of the blame games?

Though I think the eu said before they wouldn't stop negotiating right up to 31st to try and get a deal?
Good point actually and Boris would want to be part of an announcement wouldn’t he?

Yeah that’s what I thought they said too, maybe it’s just them saying prepare for no deal, we will keep trying?

Good point actually and Boris would want to be part of an announcement wouldn’t he?

Yeah that’s what I thought they said too, maybe it’s just them saying prepare for no deal, we will keep trying?
Perhaps saying both negotiating teams have gone as far as they can and there isn't quite a deal but setting up a call with boris and ursula to try and steal the limelight... erm seal a deal...

Perhaps saying both negotiating teams have gone as far as they can and there isn't quite a deal but setting up a call with boris and ursula to try and steal the limelight... erm seal a deal...

I believe Boris and Ursula spoke together last night. Furthermore I 'd hazard a guess that Boris took the opportunity when speaking to Macron about the temporary border closure to try to speak to him about the fish.

Its been obvious from the day May said "No deal is better than a bad deal".
This simple statement has sustained the Tories throughout, and its resonance with the electorate helped them win a crushing GE victory with 80 seat majority, and possibly to finish off the Labour party as their main opposition (time will tell...) . The Tories can now truly see themselves as being the natural Party of Government.

The concept of 'perpetual power' does however come at a price. The Tories will have to deal with Covid (and its fallout) for years to come and this will tend to overshadow Brexit; now that can be a blessing (for them) if the 'plague of locusts' predictions come true, because its hides the truth. However, whatever success Brexit might bring, will also be overshadowed by the curse of the Covid and Boris will have to make good on his promise to 'level up'. That is where the effects of a weakened almost irrelevant Labour party comes in; the Tories will ditch Boris and return to their normal political leanings and there will be no real opposition. Ironically, the stronger that Labour gets, will tend to sustain Boris in the Tory leadership, if they believe he can still retain the votes from the 'red wall' constituencies.

The only other hope is that Boris himself gets either weary, or bored and decides to move on, that happenstance will open up a new era in British politics, but it seems a long way off just now!

The recent truck queues, and travel bans, must work in the EUs favour to get a deal done

The recent truck queues, and travel bans, must work in the EUs favour to get a deal done

The queues will still be there even with a deal - the deal is not about rejoining the customs union.

What the travel bans should have done is to make Brexiters realise that every state in the EU is sovereign and that the supply route to the UK is vital. It won't though, naturally.

Yeh, it also hilariously points out to the morons that you dont' need to leave the EU to control your borders.

Very little in terms of welfare provision for the drivers, shocking.

Yes, gap in the market occurring, lots of business opportunity for buddying entrepreneurs to 'sling up' marquees, tents etc. to provide first aid services, toilets, showers, take away services, overnight accommodation, etc. for drivers and if everything goes as expected with the Brexit (No Deal) the 'long-stay' lorry parking situation will become permanent, so possibly a longer term investment called for, who says Brexit doesn't have a silver lining, it will for many!

Yes, gap in the market occurring, lots of business opportunity for buddying entrepreneurs to 'sling up' marquees, tents etc. to provide first aid services, toilets, showers, take away services, overnight accommodation, etc. for drivers and if everything goes as expected with the Brexit (No Deal) the 'long-stay' lorry parking situation will become permanent, so possibly a longer term investment called for, who says Brexit doesn't have a silver lining, it will for many!
Want to go half-in on my lorry motel/fighting pit idea? We'll make millions!

Brexit was always about immigration/racism. There was nothing else.
I asked months ago if this was the case, if distilled down Brexit was basically about racism & xenophobia. Some said it was, some had other reasons.

As an outsider looking in, it’s tough not to see Brexit being about those two things at its core. There was a lot of bluster to obfuscate this fact, but it appears to be such.

Brexit was always about immigration/racism. There was nothing else.

that’s just not true.

Ot is very difficult to be nuanced with a binary decision, but the country’s is not just two types of people - those who voted to leave and those who voted to stay. Clearly for some people immigration was a factor, and perhaps the only factor for them.

however, don’t assume that’s the case for everyone that voted to leave.

that’s just not true.

Ot is very difficult to be nuanced with a binary decision, but the country’s is not just two types of people - those who voted to leave and those who voted to stay. Clearly for some people immigration was a factor, and perhaps the only factor for them.

however, don’t assume that’s the case for everyone that voted to leave.

What were the other reasons?

Want to go half-in on my lorry motel/fighting pit idea? We'll make millions!

Thanks for the offer, but no thanks, will leave that up to the youngsters,

I might considering going in partnership with my nephew in providing a 'Post Card from a Lorry park' direct mailing service, this has a picture of the Lorry Park in question on one side and on the other side space for the driver to explain their excuses to his wife/husband or partner.
Also via a separate service phone App, we will have one of those aerial shots of all the lorries on the park with a 'spot my lorry' section (sent in via the app) and the winner notified in same day. The first prize will be a flask of Coffee, 4-sandwiches, a loo roll and an inflatable neck rest, delivered to the winner vehicle by our mobile (motor bike) assistants.

The nasty EU were upto no good and started making trouble in our neighboorhood!

It did seem that it was polish immigrants, Turkey presumably joining the EU, those pesky southern europeans, the french and germans who are clearly against the UK, the lads hiding in Brussels and plotting against the UK. And generally the idea of taking back control of the borders.

It has been 4.5 years, and going over some serious old ground.

It is utter insanity to assume the 18m people had the same reasons for voting.

It has been 4.5 years and no one can come up with a credible different answer. And it made particularly difficult by the simple fact that both the political class and the media built brexit on fear of the foreigner and foreign institutions.
The insanity is to try to sell the idea that the campaigns built around immigrants stealing jobs/chasing benefits, a potential muslim invasion when Turkey joins the EU, the constant lies about the EU as an institution, the lies about the UK not being sovereign anymore, about the UK being ruled by foreigners.

That campaign has been built for more than a decade and we still have people acting as if there was an other reason behind brexit, a reason(s) that is still not explained after 4.5 years.

It has been 4.5 years, and going over some serious old ground.

It is utter insanity to assume the 18m people had the same reasons for voting.

Yet in a way they did... it was the first time since the 1970's, with a number of major treaties having changed, with both the number of countries increased and introducing a unitary money system, i.e. what became known as the euro zone, that anyone in the UK had have ever been asked to vote directly on EEC/EU matters .
So the answer to the question about same reasons for voting ... was because for the first time in over forty years they could!