Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes. But of all the brexit discussion, this really important point is hardly ever discussed. And certainly not by any of the chicken hearted politicians.

There is not much to discuss, people pointed to the Bulgaria-Turkey border and the topic was settled.

Do you reckon the government expected this kind of disruption at this stage? I can't figure out if they were wilfully ignorant, hopelessly optimistic or they really just don't care. But surely it has to be one of the three given how little concern they've expressed throughout the process?

Do you reckon the government expected this kind of disruption at this stage? I can't figure out if they were wilfully ignorant, hopelessly optimistic or they really just don't care. But surely it has to be one of the three given how little concern they've expressed throughout the process?
They thought they could control the borders with the EU not returning the favour to us, just like the guy in Amsterdam who got sent to the non EU que and ranted on twitter saying that's it's not the Brexit he voted for.

“God help the poor customs bloke who is going to turf out the driver’s packing up box [food box]. I wouldn’t be surprised if there are fisticuffs if they try,”

Fighting over a ham and cheese sandwich would be soooo Brexit :lol:

I'm waiting for a story in next summer's Daily Mail from a Brexit family holidaying on the continent.
"Not only did we have to get an international driving permit, a green card, a massive mobile phone bill, a crap exchange rate but they also confiscated our sandwiches!"

I'm waiting for a story in next summer's Daily Mail from a Brexit family holidaying on the continent.
"Not only did we have to get an international driving permit, a green card, a massive mobile phone bill, a crap exchange rate but they also confiscated our sandwiches!"

Marmite should be considered as a biological weapon.

I'm munching on some Twiglets as we speak. Marmite, feck yeah.

I’ve recently been diagnosed with coeliac disease and I am serious when I say that my first big “oh no, I can’t eat that anymore” moment was when I realised I wouldn’t be able to eat my own body weight in twiglets this year :(

With everything going on with Covid, they Government need to to swallow their pride, and request a 6 month transition extension.

feck the Brexiteers and ingerlandurs....it's going to be chaos if we go into No Deal.

I don't think any of the pro Brexit politicians care what happens or how bad things get. They only care about what their benefactors bribe pay them to care about.

They wouldn't feel a thing and when all this is over, they will move into cushy jobs in big corporations or retire into some Mediterranean island with their big fat bank accounts. It's like that covid situation. The rich barely felt a thing. Many even got richer. For the poor, however, the difference is whether they have a roof over their heads or not.

So long and thanks for the fish?

Or will they squeeze a deal...

The numbers look pretty close to me

Approx €1.5bn uk fishing waters turnover of which currently €850m uk and €650m European registered

Uk stance is 80% of that marker should be uk caught
Eu latest offer to give up 25% of the €650m

Basically uk wants €1.2bn and latest offer is €1.0125bn

Essentially less than €200m difference

Or based on the total trade of approx 650bn a year or approx 0.03% of trade

Seems a strange hill to choose to die on

Or will they squeeze a deal...

The numbers look pretty close to me

Approx €1.5bn uk fishing waters turnover of which currently €850m uk and €650m European registered

Uk stance is 80% of that marker should be uk caught
Eu latest offer to give up 25% of the €650m

Basically uk wants €1.2bn and latest offer is €1.0125bn

Essentially less than €200m difference

Or based on the total trade of approx 650bn a year or approx 0.03% of trade

I've always thought that if either side, or both, fail to agree because of fishing then it will be because they want to fail to agree, the fishing would just be an excuse.

Brilliant :lol::lol:
I would be amazed if we got a deal going. Was firmly thinking it would not be possible anymore.

I've always thought that if either side, or both, fail to agree because of fishing then it will be because they want to fail to agree, the fishing would just be an excuse.
Indeed... the numbers are easy to come to an agreement over... its how both sides can politically spin it to blame the other ... my gut feel is they will find a way of phasing down the quotas over time if they want to but as you say do they really want to

Everything we've seen from the UK side over the past few years indicates they do not want any kind of deal. They've gone out of their way to keep us on that path. I have very smart and experienced collegues in the art of negotiation who remain convinced that it is a tactic to get the best possible deal at the last minute...

Sometimes the obvious is true. They just have to put on a show.

EU have confirmed as no agreement was reached yesterday, there is now no time to ratify an agreement by month end. UK side & BBC still reporting they have up to 31st to agree a deal, only mentioning fishing as a sticking point.

Last edited:
Indeed... the numbers are easy to come to an agreement over... its how both sides can politically spin it to blame the other ... my gut feel is they will find a way of phasing down the quotas over time if they want to but as you say do they really want to

The government simply has to admit that the pandemic is swamping them and quite rightly their focus should be on the that.
So they should request an extension to the transition.
But that would be the logical thing to do. So it won't happen.

The government simply has to admit that the pandemic is swamping them and quite rightly their focus should be on the that.
Thats what they should have done in June... the last time legally an extension can be applied to the transition

It's a good job they need us more than.....oh,wait.
BREXIT-QUOTES.jpg

“God help the poor customs bloke who is going to turf out the driver’s packing up box [food box]. I wouldn’t be surprised if there are fisticuffs if they try,”

Fighting over a ham and cheese sandwich would be soooo Brexit :lol:
To be fair its a legitimate concern, when I was on the wagons I was away for about 2 weeks at a time, and I took all of my food with me, I had a fridge, microwave and camping stove, its expensive to eat out 2 or three meals a day every day of the working week, and if European supermarkets are anything like british ones, rocking up in the car park with a 45 foot trailer to do a weekly shop once you are off the ferry wouldnt go down too well :)

The last time they could do that was in June but Johnson didn't want to but talks will go on, possibly for years so that some kind of agreement comes into place. Having trade deals are important but the UK being no longer part of the Custom's Union is the killer.

The Uk have had four and a half years to prepare themselves but as has been clear from ( before) day one , they have no idea what they have voted for or what to do about it.

The last time they could do that was in June but Johnson didn't want to but talks will go on, possibly for years so that some kind of agreement comes into place. Having trade deals are important but the UK being no longer part of the Custom's Union is the killer.

The Uk have had four and a half years to prepare themselves but as has been clear from ( before) day one , they have no idea what they have voted for or what to do about it.

Yes. That is understood. But we (both) are where we are. And the EU commission has already said that even if a trade deal is agreed, it will not be ratified until after the year end. We keep being told that it is 97%+ agreed. That being the case, it cannot be beyond reason to have a short extension.
But. I seriously doubt that Boris would request that.

Yes. That is understood. But we (both) are where we are. And the EU commission has already said that even if a trade deal is agreed, it will not be ratified until after the year end. We keep being told that it is 97%+ agreed. That being the case, it cannot be beyond reason to have a short extension.
But. I seriously doubt that Boris would request that.

But legally under the WA the UK become third country as of the end of the year and thus I suspect legally the UK cannot have an extension even if they now wanted one.
Although they say most is agreed it's the last final legal parts that are important.

There is another complication that the EU states do not really want an agreement in place before they can scrutinise the deal properly i.e. they don't really want to approve it after it's already in place and it is also not guaranteed they every state will agree either and it may require amendments.

They've had plenty of time to resolve these outstanding issues but it does seem that Boris thought the EU would cave in if he held on long enough but the EU said in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020 that they will not agree to anything that compromises the single market .

Apart from that you know that if there was an extension they would do exactly the same as they have so far, drag their feet and spout more nonsense so when that extension was finishing another extension would be considered and so on ad nauseum.

But legally under the WA the UK become third country as of the end of the year and thus I suspect legally the UK cannot have an extension even if they now wanted one.
Although they say most is agreed it's the last final legal parts that are important.

There is another complication that the EU states do not really want an agreement in place before they can scrutinise the deal properly i.e. they don't really want to approve it after it's already in place and it is also not guaranteed they every state will agree either and it may require amendments.

They've had plenty of time to resolve these outstanding issues but it does seem that Boris thought the EU would cave in if he held on long enough but the EU said in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020 that they will not agree to anything that compromises the single market .

Apart from that you know that if there was an extension they would do exactly the same as they have so far, drag their feet and spout more nonsense so when that extension was finishing another extension would be considered and so on ad nauseum.
I'm told by people far more legally into the ins and outs that an extension could be granted
It would probably be challenged legally and the challenge would probably be successful
But that would take at least several weeks and that might be long enough for them to get a deal over the line and ratified
Messy and I don't think businesses would like the lack of clarity... improbable, impractical and illegal but not impossible if its seen as least worst option

I'm told by people far more legally into the ins and outs that an extension could be granted
It would probably be challenged legally and the challenge would probably be successful
But that would take at least several weeks and that might be long enough for them to get a deal over the line and ratified
Messy and I don't think businesses would like the lack of clarity... improbable, impractical and illegal but not impossible if its seen as least worst option

I've heard legal opinions of both outcomes, but seems more chaotic than ever plus there's no guarantee how long it would take or even that there would ever be an agreement. Even if the UK left without a deal there would still be negotiations after that and the customs procedures will still be in place either way.

I've heard legal opinions of both outcomes, but seems more chaotic than ever plus there's no guarantee how long it would take or even that there would ever be an agreement. Even if the UK left without a deal there would still be negotiations after that and the customs procedures will still be in place either way.
Indeed... its at best a sub optimal route

Just extend the transition while we sort Covid out, its bloody obvious. Why not focus on the most important thing affecting the country at the moment. Instead Covid competes with Brexit to be the top priority and businesses across the country stung by Covid now have to make sure they are all compliant before we leave at the end of the year. Its a fecking embarrassing state of affairs and how anyone thinks this Government is doing a good job is beyond me.