Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The words are poorly chosen especially given Brexit senstiivities over the "EUSSR". I'm not sure the word 'empire' is useful or accurate given its historical usage, but the idea that the future is multipolar, and is one of large competing economic and political blocs, seems pretty inarguable. The idea that EU can be a counterweight to that by magnifying small countries' influence, is surely one of its benefits.

Impossible to write what I think about her and Javed without getting banned!

Both make my skin crawl: far more dangerous than BJ.
It's ok, we'll give you a free pass:)

The words are poorly chosen especially given Brexit senstiivities over the "EUSSR". I'm not sure the word 'empire' is useful or accurate given its historical usage, but the idea that the future is multipolar, and is one of large competing economic and political blocs, seems pretty inarguable. The idea that EU can be a counterweight to that by magnifying small countries' influence, is surely one of its benefits.

And history teaches us that all empires fall, eventually.

I believe now that the Supreme Court will rule against the government. Might make a thread about it if there's sufficient interest.

History also teaches us that being in the EU = peace in Europe.

Yeh, except that not entirely true, or to be more accurate, true at all. NATO was far more responsible, among other factors.. Including two major wars which effectively ended the reign of European imperialism. Then there was the US who funded the rebuilding of Europe, learning from the mistakes made post WW1.

I believe now that the Supreme Court will rule against the government. Might make a thread about it if there's sufficient interest.
Sounds good. This thread, much like brexit actually, has become all-encompassing

Based on what?

The case against GCHQ speaks for justiciability, and the pretty iron clad evidence in the CoS judgment if it is judged justiciable. As the secret barrister twitter said about the evidence 'This is really bad.' There's a couple of good articles that have come out about it in the last day or so [especially one from Allison Young], mostly drawing on the same principles. Still not heard a squeak from Nick Barber mind.

I'd certainly be interested

Also I'd be very interested to know what the next steps would be... Ie would it simply be you shouldn't have done it but carry on as you are... Or is there something more tangible (recall parliament etc)

I'd certainly be interested

Also I'd be very interested to know what the next steps would be... Ie would it simply be you shouldn't have done it but carry on as you are... Or is there something more tangible (recall parliament etc)

It's a civil action, so just a public spanking for BJ. On whether they can make an order to recall parliament, I'm not sure. They'd expect the government to do that anyway if they lost, but unsure what enforcement action they could take if they simply refused.

Impeachment? A criminal trial for treason? It's so totally unchartered.

The question that needs to be asked of these parties is what would they do improve the lives of people.

Conservatives will say "get us out of the EU at any price"

Liberal Democrats will say "keep us in the EU even if there are two referendums and both say leave"!

Labour will say Errr.. to paraphrase Donald Rumsfeld "reports that say Brexit mustn't happen are of interest because we know there are known knowns, there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns, that is too say there are some things we know we don't know"

What will be the plan for keeping those companies registered in the uk? Obvious question so I assume there’s an obvious answer

The obvious answer is that he don’t give a feck. Who needs those greedy, no-good corporations anyway. Let them leave. Unemployment? We’ll create state jobs instead, mate.

This is surely the epitaph for our current precedence based Constitution?

Aye. The constitutional questions at play seem pretty simple, but the shockwaves from them anything but. I don't think they'd refuse though, it's a genie that not even BJ would want to unleash.

Not even in his 'incredible green' state?

"Don't make him mad... you won't like him when he's mad"

:lol:The buffoon was mad last week, and he just lost more!

He'll be super mad when his law officers are compelled to resign and then testify against him at his treason trial.

The obvious answer is that he don’t give a feck. Who needs those greedy, no-good corporations anyway. Let them leave. Unemployment? We’ll create state jobs instead, mate.
I’ve heard the ‘equity distribution’ policy before and I just can’t see how it will work, without driving ownership away. I don’t really agree with a big state in general but I can understand the benefits. This particular policy really seems a shoot-in-the-foot one though

It's a civil action, so just a public spanking for BJ. On whether they can make an order to recall parliament, I'm not sure. They'd expect the government to do that anyway if they lost, but unsure what enforcement action they could take if they simply refused.

Impeachment? A criminal trial for treason? It's so totally unchartered.
Yeah I get the feeling in this they will be politically toothless to change anything

Equally if he does not submit a letter on 19th October I wonder what practically the options are?

Presumably people either take legal action to impeach or to force him to submit the letter.

I would have thought both those processes would take some time... Especially if fought in court and appealed and of course there would very much be limited time

Quite possibly complicated by at that point it's possible (probable) there has been a confidence motion and he's in the 14 day period anyway to try and show a majority

Is there any realistic timetable for what are quite unprecedented scenarios.

I’ve heard the ‘equity distribution’ policy before and I just can’t see how it will work, without driving ownership away. I don’t really agree with a big state in general but I can understand the benefits. This particular policy really seems a shoot-in-the-foot one though

Pretty much all the policies listed are shoot-in-the-foot. And when you combine them all together, they are suicidal before you even compound them with the effects of Brexit. Imagine you have a company and your options are to:

a) be based in the UK where you are out of the Single Market and have to pay tariffs, you have to give 10% of your equity away, you have to pay one of the highest corporation taxes in Europe (Labour plan to raise it to 26% from 19%), you have to pay extra levies for the salaries of your directors and high earners, and salary limits forbid you to attract the best talent. Or...

b) be based in the Eurozone somewhere like Ireland and pay 12.5% corporation tax with no strings attached and Single Market access.

Every multinational will move their tax base elsewhere. And pretty much all companies that operate here will struggle to some extent with some having to move out altogether. Which is basically what every business lobby group has been screaming about.

Last edited:
Pretty much all the policies listed are shoot-in-the-foot. And when you combine them all together, they are suicidal before you even compound them with the effects of Brexit. Imagine you have a company and your options are to:

a) be based in the UK where you are out of the Single Market and have to pay tariffs, you have to give 10% of your equity away, you have to pay one of the highest corporation taxes in Europe (Labour plan to raise it to 26% from 19%), you have to pay extra levies for the salaries of your directors and high earners, and salary limits forbid you to attract the best talent. Or...

b) be based in the Eurozone somewhere like Ireland and pay 12.5% corporation tax with no strings attached and Single Market access.

Every multinational will move their tax base elsewhere. And pretty much all companies that operate here will struggle to some extent with some having to move out altogether. Which is basically what every business lobby group has been screaming about.
Yeah I’d agree with the CT stuff though I think most big companies will have set their taxation up to be able to dodge the lions share of it anyway.

Always thought Corbyn’s economic plans in their last manifesto were profoundly stupid. Leave the EU, go on unprecedented public spending whilst making us really unattractive to foreign investment. Seems to me they’d create a bubble before a major economic crash.

Yeah I’d agree with the CT stuff though I think most big companies will have set their taxation up to be able to dodge the lions share of it anyway.

Fact is that Ireland are attracting major companies and are the one of the fastest growing economies in the world currently.

You sweet summer child...

Nothing wrong with those objectives, apart from the obvious question of how is it all going to be paid for. Although those are not strictly Corbyn policies at all. Those are just historic Labour policies and also partially the policy of other parties. For example the Tories have also long had policies about improving infrastructure (HS2, Crossrail, Heathrow expansion etc.). Lib Dems have had a longer and far more vocal policy about reducing university fees than Labour can lay claim to (spare me the lecture about what they voted while in coalition with Tories. Labour neither campaigned for that, nor did they pledge to reverse it. They just objected from the safety of being in opposition).

Some Corbyn well known wealth redistribution policies are:
- 10% of private firm equity to be transferred to the employees. That’s some £300bn just off stock exchange listed firms.
- Right-to-buy for tenants of private landlords, at prices determined by the state. As well as rent controls.
- National maximum wage.
- Renationalisation of both the transportation and energy sectors. Paid for by bonds issued at prices and yields the govt decides. (Basically state theft)
- Companies to pay extra levies (aside from taxes and NIC) for employees earning more than X. With X to be determined but rumoured to be in the region of 250k-350k
- Ban in unpaid internships.

On top of hikes on taxes to individuals, corporations, landlords etc. And of course all of that on the back of Brexit which he supports because how else will he be able to dish state aid to failing firms under EU laws?
How is banning unpaid internships wealth redistribution?

Fact is that Ireland are attracting major companies and are the one of the fastest growing economies in the world currently.
I wasn’t knocking Ireland, I was just saying that companies will already be taking as much loss in areas of high CT as possible and as much profit in a low CT country, so the rise in rate doesn’t mean as much as it looks. Unlike the equity share which I don’t suppose you cant escape from in the same manner?

It’s pretty pathetic really when interviewers cannot even do the most basic research to challenge a politician. I mean it’s been all over the news when she was appointed to the Cabinet that she made those comments.

It's generous to call it pathetic. The research was either done and ignored, or they had no intention of properly scrutinising her.

I wasn’t knocking Ireland, I was just saying that companies will already be taking as much loss in areas of high CT as possible and as much profit in a low CT country, so the rise in rate doesn’t mean as much as it looks. Unlike the equity share which I don’t suppose you cant escape from in the same manner?

I wouldn’t have thought so. Ireland’s corporation tax rate is often cited as a key driver in attracting foreign investment, however.

Corbyn will make the UK unattractive to foreign investment on multiple levels though, leaving the SM will exacerbate that significantly.

Conservatives will say "get us out of the EU at any price"

Liberal Democrats will say "keep us in the EU even if there are two referendums and both say leave"!

Labour will say Errr.. to paraphrase Donald Rumsfeld "reports that say Brexit mustn't happen are of interest because we know there are known knowns, there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns, that is too say there are some things we know we don't know"

I was asking what policies would the parties implement.

btw I had to laugh when someone mentioned 'state theft' when mentioning Nationalization.

I suppose there was no such umbrage about balancing the budget on the back of those just trying to make ends meet.

I wouldn’t have thought so. Ireland’s corporation tax rate is often cited as a key driver in attracting foreign investment, however.

Corbyn will make the UK unattractive to foreign investment on multiple levels though, leaving the SM will exacerbate that significantly.
Great. Wonder what working for the state in finance is like? Kind of against my principles, you know, to not be trying to make money

How is banning unpaid internships wealth redistribution?

Well, obviously it isn't. I was just going through his most controversial policies by the time I was down to 4.

I was asking what policies would the parties implement.

btw I had to laugh when someone mentioned 'state theft' when mentioning Nationalization.

I suppose there was no such umbrage about balancing the budget on the back of those just trying to make ends meet

That was me. It's amusing that you find state theft funny almost as much as your whataboutism that followed up.

I'm all for higher personal taxation to balance the scales more towards those struggling. But I'm not quite buying it that Corbyn's policies will make things better. Call me a cynic.

Well, obviously it isn't. I was just going through his most controversial policies by the time I was down to 4.

That was me. It's amusing that you find state theft funny almost as much as your whataboutism that followed up.

I'm all for higher personal taxation to balance the scales more towards those struggling. But I'm not quite buying it that Corbyn's policies will make things better. Call me a cynic.

Are the Lib/Dems pushing that?

I don't consider dismantling the Welfare state funny tbh.