Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
yeah but look at the difference between Prods and Catholics. People keep bringing unification up but when around half the country would be insanely opposed to it seeing as they believe they're British, not Irish, then exactly why would it make any sense to happen?

Not to mention that the South won't go for it either.

To be fair that is always going to be the case - it will be fine margins, a 1% swing could seal the deal. Interesting to note there are more Unionists who might support a United Ireland than Nationalists who dont.

To be fair that is always going to be the case - it will be fine margins, a 1% swing could seal the deal. Interesting to note there are more Unionists who might support a United Ireland than Nationalists who dont.
Well, nothing every goes wrong when a referendum is decided on fine margins ;)

If they ever do do a referendum, you can be damn sure it won't be on a simple majority basis.

There was a Labour politician on 5Live a few minutes ago that basically called one million Scots morons who are to blame for letting the SNP delay Brexit, and by association 1.6 million who voted to Remain in the EU. Incredibly short sighted and defensive language from someone who was rattled during a debate and, maybe I'm reading it wrong, just stinks of someone who sees the Scots as a pest. Well, frankly, feck them.

Who was this?

No I'm not suggesting that at all. How can you possibly divulge that from what I said.

The only sensible solution here is to ensure that NI doesn't get pulled out of the GFA. There should simply not be a future scenario where in order for that to happen, they have to switch countries, it's madness.

There is no better arrangement for anyone than the current one and that's why all this stuff happening that could potentially break that is so fecking stupid.

Apologies if I picked you up wrong but suggesting that unification wouldn't make any sense because around half the population would oppose it rather disregards the other half of the population's views on the matter. Yes it would be highly contentious and divisive but peace was establish largely because republicanism was offered a peaceful path towards unification.

Brexit: Judges deliver ruling on Parliament suspension
Boris Johnson’s suspension of the UK Parliament is unlawful, Scotland’s highest civil court has ruled.

A panel of three judges at the Court of Session found in favour of a cross-party group of politicians who were challenging the prime minister's move.

The decision overturns an earlier ruling from the court, which last week said Mr Johnson had not broken the law.

Lord Carloway issued the court's ruling on Wednesday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-sc...udges-deliver-ruling-on-parliament-suspension

Apologies if I picked you up wrong but suggesting that unification wouldn't make any sense because around half the population would oppose it rather disregards the other half of the population's views on the matter. Yes it would be highly contentious and divisive but peace was establish largely because republicanism was offered a peaceful path towards unification.
The main reason I don't think it makes sense is because we already have the most sensible approach available to us in place. Reunification could potentially lead to uproar and riots from one side. We should be doing all we can to keep the GFA and current situation in place instead of these fantastical reunification ideas that could potentially cause more problems than they'll solve.

The main reason I don't think it makes sense is because we already have the most sensible approach available to us in place. Reunification could potentially lead to uproar and riots from one side. We should be doing all we can to keep the GFA and current situation in place instead of these fantastical reunification ideas that could potentially cause more problems than they'll solve.

Unification of Ireland is inevitable though. I say this as a guy who grew up within a Protestant background. It may cause problems but doubtful anymore than there already is.

The point I'm trying to make is that for most nationalists the GFA isn't at all about maintaining the status quo but an actual pathway towards unification.

yeah but look at the difference between Prods and Catholics. People keep bringing unification up but when around half the country would be insanely opposed to it seeing as they believe they're British, not Irish, then exactly why would it make any sense to happen?

Not to mention that the South won't go for it either.

Indeed. It's not just about edging a vote, a UI would have to actually have a real prospect of functioning to be worthwhile.

Plus I'm not sure a lot of nationalist fully realise what a functioning United Ireland would actually look like, or to what degree "Britishness" would be integrated in the new state. It would involve a lot of compromise on their part. Would they be happy with that reality?

No I was curious because I never really hear any valid reasons for leaving. At this stage I am genuinely looking for valid reasons for you leaving, because it's probably going to happen and it's going to feck my country up when you do it. When the reasons are simply because it makes certain aspects of your working life easier, it's not exactly great, is it? I genuinely can't see anything beyond selfish reasons whenever people try to present any.

If you didn't vote leave then fine, my mistake.

Depends on your political opinions of course, for me I'm a natural leave voter for reasons such as:
  • A significant reduction in industry red-tape, which is underwritten by EU law. This would reduce business costs significantly at little real world cost
  • A reduction in pointless barriers solely designed to protect EU industries (the typical example is chlorinated chicken) but there are others preventing the importing of perfectly good produce via protectionist standards
  • Tariff free trading with the rest of the planet for everything. As a nation with a small manufacturing industry external tariffs on the rest of the world are counter productive and keep prices artificially high. The current external tariffs are designed to protect the manufacturing nations in the EU but it is somewhat at the expense of the non-manufacturing nations.
  • If we accept that as a country the UK population does not want net immigration into six figures, I'd prefer this amount be hand picked dependant on what the country requires. If we are short on Doctors I'd prefer we "import" an Indian Doctor over a Hungarian Receptionist
  • Governing with consent. The further away from a location that decisions are made the less chance that these decisions are being made in the interests of the people in that area. Laws, regulations, rules and standards that have to be made taking in consideration 28 member states can never be in the specific interests of every country, let alone every region
  • Democracy. Irrespective of the ability to vote in MEP's (low turnout anyway) or the potential to veto, the system in general is not particularly democratic. Just like I'd like to replace the House of Lords and change the voting system in the UK to be more democratic; I also believe the EU needs huge reforms that I just don't believe will ever be enacted, given the disassociation of the EU from the people it supposedly represents (this is true of Westminster to a lesser degree)
  • The difference in values across EU nations. I can't see how a political union can be possible whereby you have nations with such divergent values and beliefs. It's hard enough trying to run a country with the values of people in the South compared with the values of those in the North (I believe in far more regional powers); let alone trying to run a union with countries as liberal as Sweden alongside countries on the other side of the spectrum such as Hungary
  • The future. Ultimately I believe the EU will have to harmonise tax laws. For someone who believes in the Singapore model on tax policy my view is the EU model of high taxation will ultimately make all citizens poorer.
  • Prosperity of the third world. Not penalising the third world in terms of trade is the key method in my view of reducing world poverty and equalising prosperity. I believe the EU has blood on their hands in feathering the nest of their own wealthy countries at the expense of far poorer African, Asian & South American countries.
  • Subsidy. If you believe that the EU is great for all members, then why do the members not get out what they put in? Why should the UK pay more in that it receives out if the union is mutually beneficial? I find it difficult to understand money London generates being used to pay for Scottish infrastructure... Let alone Slovenian (and if Slovenia why not Somalia?)

However I also am aware that the benefits are somewhat theoretical and also economically difficult in the short term. It's dependant on whether we elected the kind of government that would (enact some or all) slash red-tape, reduce regulations, slash taxes, ensure full tariff free trade across the planet (even at the short term politically uncomfortable expense of some UK industry), enact policies allowing greater regional powers and/or promoting the purchasing of goods from poorer continents. However it's easier to elect that kind of government in the UK than it is to not only elect that government in the UK, but also then need to have your government successfully lobby it within the EU.

Truthfully though I'm somewhat sick of it all at this point.

Last edited:
Indeed. It's not just about edging a vote, a UI would have to actually have a real prospect of functioning to be worthwhile.

Plus I'm not sure a lot of nationalist fully realise what a functioning United Ireland would actually look like, or to what degree "Britishness" would be integrated in the new state. It would involve a lot of compromise on their part. Would they be happy with that reality?

Honestly I think that despite the problems and possible impact on economy, etc. assimilating NI into ROI would cause - once NI votes to say they want unification then ROI will support it no matter what. There would have to be a substantial transition period.

Future independence referendums will be interesting.

English MPs might let Northern Ireland reunite with Ireland, but Wales and Scotland, well, I am sure they would find a way of preventing it. Probably tell the Scots they are to thick and anti English to know what they are voting for.

Can't imagine where I might get that idea though.

Like I said though, actions have consequences.

Was reading the Daily Mail comments for a laugh and a few people using the term "Drain the swamp".... But someone from Sunderland used it and a reply was "you're from Sunderland for feck sake" :lol:

Future independence referendums will be interesting.

English MPs might let Northern Ireland reunite with Ireland, but Wales and Scotland, well, I am sure they would find a way of preventing it. Probably tell the Scots they are to thick and anti English to know what they are voting for.

Can't imagine where I might get that idea though.

Like I said though, actions have consequences.

Ehhh... they will have absolutely no say in it.

Until we are asked to help in the wake of the inevitable violence that follows.

Or perhaps the UK continues to have some responsibility for NI until such time as full unification occurs? If violence flaired up during the transition period then of course Ireland and the UK would share responsibility to try and sort it. Once unification is completed then I can't see how the UK would have anything to do with it.

Or perhaps the UK continues to have some responsibility for NI until such time as full unification occurs? If violence flaired up during the transition period then of course Ireland and the UK would share responsibility to try and sort it. Once unification is completed then I can't see how the UK would have anything to do with it.

Which has the potential to cause further problems.

Though I agree we should be involved in the transition, we would also likely be blamed for any problems.

The extreme elements involved make the most extreme brexiteers or remained look like children at the end of the day.

Who was this?
Didn't catch her name. Sounded Northern but not normal Northern. Almost as if she enjoyed watching cricket as well.

She was asked if Ireland getting a different deal for agricultural goods would give the Scottish and Welsh the opportunity to demand similar terms and restrengthen the Scottish Indy cause. Her response was that the SNP and their Remain in the EU stance was the reason why Brexit was taking too long. The SNP guy said at least people know where his party stand on the subject.

They really need to stop this kind of talk and sharpish otherwise someone will get hurt.

Many of these MPs come from constituencies that are remain so they're doing their jobs exactly as they should. For the leave constituencies i do think it's poor but they were elected in 2017 with their views known.

I'd like her to try take them to court of law for a non-binding election. How can a non-binding referendum even be democratic anyway. Let's not forget the commons voted for this act, no where did it say the result had to be implemented so this is on them.

Last edited:
Which has the potential to cause further problems.

Though I agree we should be involved in the transition, we would also likely be blamed for any problems.

The extreme elements involved make the most extreme brexiteers or remained look like children at the end of the day.

Well there is a reason why many in Ireland see the UK (really the English) as a group to be blamed for any problems. That probably will never change.

'Help' is an ironic way of putting it.

Britain is damned no matter what when the time comes. Do nothing, get blamed, do anything, get blamed.

It will split the country worse than brexit too. Ireland will probably end up in another civil war.

There's no easy way for it to happen.

Well there is a reason why many in Ireland see the UK (really the English) as a group to be blamed for any problems. That probably will never change.

That's true and to a degree, fair.

However said people should remember that another European Nation inflicted far more damage to other European nations and the continent has managed to move on.

There comes a time where it's time to move on and anything else is just self justification for violence.

Hopefully one day that day does come, though it likely won't be in our lifetimes.

However said people should remember that another European Nation inflicted far more damage to other European nations and the continent has managed to move on.

There comes a time where it's time to move on and anything else is just self justification for violence.

Hopefully one day that day does come, though it likely won't be in our lifetimes.

Brits no longer fecking the Irish over yet again might be neccesary first.

Didn't catch her name. Sounded Northern but not normal Northern. Almost as if she enjoyed watching cricket as well.

She was asked if Ireland getting a different deal for agricultural goods would give the Scottish and Welsh the opportunity to demand similar terms and restrengthen the Scottish Indy cause. Her response was that the SNP and their Remain in the EU stance was the reason why Brexit was taking too long. The SNP guy said at least people know where his party stand on the subject.

You sure it wasn't Geoffrey Boycott?

They really need to stop this kind of talk and sharpish otherwise someone will get hurt.

Many of these MPs come from constituencies that are remain so they're doing their jobs exactly as they should. For the leave constituencies i do think it's poor but they were elected in 2017 with their views known.

I'd like her to try take them to court of law for a non-binding election. How can a non-binding referendum even be democratic anyway. Let's not forget the commons voted for this act, no where did it say the result had to be implemented so this is on them.

Yep. I think it's only a matter of time before we get another Jo Cox sadly.

It might aid the 'moving on' if Irish people weren't obliged to wait 50 years for the potential prosecution of murdering soldiers.

As others have said currently you have English nationalism actively determined to have a hard Brexit that will indirectly shaft the Irish economy and put the GFA at risk. The British are still trying to walk all over Ireland. You can see how many might resent that.

Decades of great work at rebuilding relations has been damaged by Brexit.

Last edited: