Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/article/2024/jul/09/dyson-cut-uk-workforce-jobs

Dyson ‘to cut more than a quarter of UK workforce’
Vacuum cleaner maker to axe about 1,000 jobs as part of global restructure

The company’s pro-Brexit founder, Sir James Dyson, moved the group’s corporate headquarters to Singapore in 2019, pointing to the growing importance of supply chains and customers in Asia.

I mean brexit bad and all but,

This would have happened regardless. They've been fairly aggressive at shooting themselves in the foot over the last 10 years with various attempts at branching out of their traditional product base. This is simply the end game of the Apple-lite business model they've been pining after for a while.

For example about 3-ish years ago their entire advertising campaign was all about B2C "buy directly from us", signalling the final stage of "embrace, extend, extinguish" to their B2B arm.

They've also reached a saturation point where they aren't in a growing market anymore (with their core products) and other companies have entered the marketplace at the top, middle and the bottom end, whereas previously they only had to deal with the bottom end, which they didn't really care about. So now they have almost entirely direct to consumer, premium only, business model, what do you need all these staff for?

I mean brexit bad and all but,

This would have happened regardless. They've been fairly aggressive at shooting themselves in the foot over the last 10 years with various attempts at branching out of their traditional product base. This is simply the end game of the Apple-lite business model they've been pining after for a while.

For example about 3-ish years ago their entire advertising campaign was all about B2C "buy directly from us", signalling the final stage of "embrace, extend, extinguish" to their B2B arm.

They've also reached a saturation point where they aren't in a growing market anymore (with their core products) and other companies have entered the marketplace at the top, middle and the bottom end, whereas previously they only had to deal with the bottom end, which they didn't really care about. So now they have almost entirely direct to consumer, premium only, business model, what do you need all these staff for?
When I first moved to Bristol I ended up at a house party and it turned out every single person but me worked at Dyson. It was a bit weird, I can’t remember how I ended up there, think it was with a mate from home that also lived in Bristol but I remember trying to mingle a bit and every time it was met with “which department are you in?”. Boring feckers the lot of them.

When I first moved to Bristol I ended up at a house party and it turned out every single person but me worked at Dyson. It was a bit weird, I can’t remember how I ended up there, think it was with a mate from home that also lived in Bristol but I remember trying to mingle a bit and every time it was met with “which department are you in?”. Boring feckers the lot of them.
Sounds like you got sucked in

Sounds like you got sucked in
Bad-Joke-Eel.jpg

I had to do some work for Dyson a few years back and the employees I spoke to had an almost cult-like devotion to the company

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...rucial-to-the-rebuilding-of-the-country-cptpp

You can see that in our pressing ahead with accession to the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership – or CPTPP for short. It’s an expansive free-trade agreement covering four continents and more than 500 million people.

Yet we know that thousands of British businesses have stopped exporting to Europe altogether. It’s no secret as to why. The last government’s adversarial approach to working with the EU resulted in UK firms being buried in bureaucracy.

Jonathan Reynolds is the secretary of state for business and trade

If it's crucial to the rebuilding of the country - the Uk is well and truly f*cked. Joining the CPTPP is a moronic Tory idea which is worthless.

Jonathan Reynolds says it is no secret why British businesses have stopped exporting to Europe. (and vice versa).
Except that he doesn't know what that secret is!!. The UK are not in the same Customs Union and bureaucracy will not stop.
What a moron.

So from clueless Tory Brexiters the UK have now changed to clueless Labour Brexiters - they have absolutely no idea what they're doing either. As suspected and known all along.

Last edited:
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...k-wire-maker-blames-brexit-shredding-business

Sixth-generation wire-maker blames Brexit for shredding its business

Owner of Ormiston Wire in London urges Keir Starmer not to forget small manufacturers in his dealings with EU

You had the Tory (and others) Brexiteers conning the British public with "Global Britain"

Now you've got people like this bloke being conned into thinking that Starmer's going to change how trade operates either because Starmer is lying or more likely Starmer hasn't got a clue what he's doing (or both).

There has been an eight year charade of people actually seriously expecting Brexit to be of benefit to the UK.

Now the second phase of alternative reality - Starmer's vision of enjoying the benefits of the EU without being in it.
People actually believe this. This poor bloke and probably many like him, who probably sold his products to the EU before Brexit with no problems whatsoever. It was the same if he sold something to Barnsley as it was selling to Warsaw.

Now he's anticipating that Starmer's going to fix this - that Customs Unions, trade standards and thousands of other barriers no longer exist because Starmer doesn't have a clue.

Probably as a result of us leaving the EU though.
Which means it isn't Brexit regulations in any case. It's a sad story but it's what most of the works will experience if you're not in the EU. There'll be many a story about people from Asia, Africa and other parts of the globe denied oppurtunities due to regulation.

I would have thought getting work permit for that kind of job would be not too difficult. RM could employee coaches from anywhere in Europe but they felt this guy was right. I don't know how Spanish law works but you would think prestigious jobs would get you a permit quicker.

Which means it isn't Brexit regulations in any case. It's a sad story but it's what most of the works will experience if you're not in the EU. There'll be many a story about people from Asia, Africa and other parts of the globe denied oppurtunities due to regulation.

I would have thought getting work permit for that kind of job would be not too difficult. RM could employee coaches from anywhere in Europe but they felt this guy was right. I don't know how Spanish law works but you would think prestigious jobs would get you a permit quicker.
The bars are set quite high on side of these things. If he was set to take over from Ancelotti - no problem.

If he was being offered a standard coaching contract then the "can an EU national do the job" question takes over. That's when you might be asked to prove that you advertised the job and got no EU applicants or got no EU applicants with appropriate qualifications/experience. Preferring him wouldn't be enough.

You're right though it doesn't just apply to Brits, it applies to all non-EU people. It's new for Brits to experience it though - which is indeed just one Brexit bonus.

Wouldn't it be due to Spanish regulations though?

I mean it's Spanish regulations being enforced on him as a result of Brexit.

I assume “Brexit regulations” is shorthand for “regulations British citizens wouldn’t have to deal with if it wasn’t for Brexit”. Which is fair enough because the latter phrase is a bit of a mouthful!

Wouldn't it be due to Spanish regulations though?

I mean it's Spanish regulations being enforced on him as a result of Brexit.
Spanish work visa regulation for non-EU citizens got much harder in the last year or two. My son is playing in Spain this year (Australian and Irish citizen) but far far fewer Aussie in his sport will being going to Spain this season as work visas are hard to get and very expensive.

In any case, he can apply to other EU countries where it might be easier to obtain a work visa and if he's being looked at by Madrid then other big teams must have him on their radar. It's sad that he's missed out on this opportunity but so many others will too and it's all thanks to lies.

In any case, he can apply to other EU countries where it might be easier to obtain a work visa and if he's being looked at by Madrid then other big teams must have him on their radar. It's sad that he's missed out on this opportunity but so many others will too and it's all thanks to lies.
Put this on the side of a bus!