Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
And they’ll want to continue looking good, instead of looking irresponsible.

A lot like a Brexit-related recession and exploitation of the refusal to extend by their domestic opposition?

Brexit is not anywhere near the importance to the EU countries as the UK think. I can't speak for everyone, but if the economy goes to shit around here in the next couple of years Trump will get the blame anyway, no matter what happens with Brexit. The UK just isn't big enough to decide internal election in other countries, I'd be surprised if it even became much of a talking point (no matter the outcome).

I think that's a projection, to be honest. I'd like to see more text and context to this before saying that's his position.
It's not a projection. It's literally what he says, unless you think he's suggesting Christians were pro slavery and they realised they were wrong because society showed them which is not very plausible given Tim's belief system and, frankly, the words he used in that excerpt alone.

His position as I read it (and I can't see any other interpretation):
Christians should find themselves at odds with society.
They were regarding slavery (suggesting Christianity was anti-slavery which is unfounded) and eventually society realised it was bad too.
The current situational parable he cites sexuality. Tim is believes homosexuality is wrong. He thinks society will catch up.

To be clear, the Bible has many pro slavery passages and Tim is cherry picking to suit his, rather disturbing, World view and I am not defending him. Rather the opposite.

Last edited:
It's 2019 and not the tories that we're talking about. There has been plenty of time to asses the situation.
Pretty sure they finished publishing their preparation notices ages ago now.

They’re ready and the point stands, brexit isn’t a massive deal in the continent.

It's 2019 and not the tories that we're talking about. There has been plenty of time to asses the situation.

I can't talk for other coutries but Brexit will have consequences in regions like Brittany and Aquitaine but the assessments, laws and future subsidies have already been voted, on top of the power given to the the government to deal with unexpected issues by ordinance. Brexit is important but manageable.

Pretty sure they finished publishing their preparation notices ages ago now.

They’re ready and the point stands, brexit isn’t a massive deal in the continent.

If its no deal it will be.

The UK is a top 4 trading partner for all of the major EU economies. Upwards of €25billion of trade done by France, Spain, Italy, Netherlands. With Germany its even higher.

Then there's the fact in Spain, well, Brits account for a significant portion of the economy there, whether through tourism, or the many tens of thousands who go over to do temporary work (because we are preferable to the locals because well, contrary to the lazy Brit myth, we are anything but).

So yes, it is quite a bit deal to real people. The leaders might not show it, but then all eyes aren't non them nor are they all fighting among each other.

This is why no deal is a terrible idea, as most will agree. But also why its use should have got a better withdrawal agreement and ultimately a better trade deal.

The remainer claim that Brexit is irrelevant on the continent is as big an untruth as any Brexiteer nonsense.

Last edited:

The UK is a top 4 trading partner for all of the major EU economies. Upwards of 25% of the trade done by France, Spain, Italy, Netherlands. With Germany its even higher.

Then there's the fact in Spain, well, Brits account for a significant portion of the economy there, whether through tourism, or the many tens of thousands who go over to do temporary work (because we are preferable to the locals because well, contrary to the lazy Brit myth, we are anything but).

So yes, it is quite a bit deal to real people. The leaders might not show it, but then all eyes aren't non them nor are they all fighting among each other.

This is why no deal is a terrible idea, as most will agree. But also why its use should have got a better withdrawal agreement and ultimately a better trade deal.

The remainer claim that Brexit is irrelevant on the continent is as big an untruth as any Brexiteer nonsense.

Upward of 25%, since when? It's around 7%.

The UK is a top 4 trading partner for all of the major EU economies. Upwards of 25% of the trade done by France, Spain, Italy, Netherlands. With Germany its even higher.

Yeah that's not true, at all.

Whoops, should say upwards of 25billion.

With Germany pushing towards 100billion.

Which isn't all that much for massive economies, particularly when most of it will still be there. And a part of that figure is directly linked to EU membership, in the sense that the UK is currently used as a hub.

Also the UK isn't a top 4 trade partner for France.

Last edited:
Blair:
"It is wrong as a matter of principle to mix the general election up with the specific Brexit question.

If the British people end up having a general election on Brexit you are going to mix up issues that should be kept separate.

What Boris Johnson thinks is: if I fight a Brexit general election, I can say to people: ‘Look it’s no deal or you get Jeremy Corbyn.’

You could end up with the bizarre situation where, let’s just suppose the Conservatives manage to win a majority with 35% to 40% of the vote, they will claim a mandate for no-deal when, if you add the votes for all the parties opposed to no-deal together, they will come to more than 50% of the vote. It is a completely undemocratic way of deciding it
."

I think this is a strong point. The parliamentary deadlock is specifically regarding Brexit and will dominate any election. This is related to the challenge I've seen people make to those who voted Labour at the last GE and yet are remain in ideology: a general election should not be decided by a single issue.

Wonder whether he thought the same when he won 35% back in 2005?

"Hang on a minute, my vote share has been slashed from 43% to 35% over the last 8 years. Maybe with only 35% I should create a cross party group to decide whether to continue increasing spending as a % of GDP."

Looks like we're going to have the same discussion for the 4325th time. pfff.

Brexiters seem to think all trade will stop when they leave the EU. It just becomes more difficult, more expensive and more delayed. Congratulations.

Of course some of the EU countries will be affected, but a small fraction of how much the UK will be affected.

Wonder whether he thought the same when he won 35% back in 2005?

"Hang on a minute, my vote share has been slashed from 43% to 35% over the last 8 years. Maybe with only 35% I should create a cross party group to decide whether to continue increasing spending as a % of GDP."
That's not the point he's making. He's talking about the conflation of a general election with a decision being made on a single issue.

Yes, yes it is.

Germany is UK's no.2 destination and 10% of their exports - the EU have the other 27 EU countries and the FTA with dozens of other countries - the UK would have a grand total of zero.

Of course not taking into account the EU companies that would move back to the EU thus reducing the UK's production.

Looks like we're going to have the same discussion for the 4325th time. pfff.

Brexiters seem to think all trade will stop when they leave the EU. It just becomes more difficult, more expensive and more delayed. Congratulations.

Of course some of the EU countries will be affected, but a small fraction of how much the UK will be affected.

Oh sorry, perhaps you should do a daily run through of the discussions that have already occurred for those who haven't spent 3 years camped in this thread?

That way such discussion can be avoided in future.

Hopefully this can be applied to the football forums as well, so we don't have to hear the constant whining.

Oh sorry, perhaps you should do a daily run through of the discussions that have already occurred for those who haven't spent 3 years camped in this thread?

That way such discussion can be avoided in future.

Hopefully this can be applied to the football forums as well, so we don't have to hear the constant whining.

Stopping listening to Johnson, Gove, Fox, Mogg and co. would help.

That's not the point he's making. He's talking about the conflation of a general election with a decision being made on a single issue.

Most general elections centre around a single issue. The 2010 election for example centred around who could be trusted with the economy.

Can you imagine if Gordon Brown came out and said despite losing that the Tories had no mandate to cut/freeze spending since Cameron only won 36% of the vote?

Germany is UK's no.2 destination and 10% of their exports - the EU have the other 27 EU countries and the FTA with dozens of other countries - the UK would have a grand total of zero.

Trade isn't as easy as clicking your fingers and you've made up 10%.

The UK is a top 4 trading partner for all of the major EU economies. Upwards of €25billion of trade done by France, Spain, Italy, Netherlands. With Germany its even higher.

Regarding Spain,

There are more spaniards in UK than vice-versa. Spaniards in UK are young that barely use public resources as they are healthy and past their study years and they contribute on the workforce. A big portion of the British are old retirees that uses (even if a portion of the money is returned, the waiting lines in our equivalent NHS is lost) our health system profusely, don't work and raises substantially our housing as they come to buy a house to get retired.

If it is for that reason, please, make Brexit happen

Trade isn't as easy as clicking your fingers and you've made up 10%.

I have not made the 10% up - the USA are no.1 with 11%.
France and Holland are joint 3rd with 6.3%

If trade is not so easy, that's not what the leading brexiters were saying is it? and the Uk will be starting from scratch, mind-blowing.

PS: The UK represent less than 7% of Germany's exports - now if you say all trade will stop if there's no deal, Germany have lost less than 7% of their customers whereas the UK would have lost more than 50% of their customers (the EU) - note the slight difference.

Last edited:
Given that parliament is under the potential control of the ‘rebel’ alliance, of which many are remain or 2nd referendum seeking, couldn’t they propose/pass a bill for a second referendum? Which includes multiple options?

Read something along these lines in Guardian.

What further mischief can Corbyn lead the rebels to whilst BJ remains a lame duck?

Germany 90billion
France 38billion
Netherlands 56billion
Spain 20billion
Italy 27billion

Ok, slightly off with Spain, but still a significant amount.

Which represents less than 25% of trades and in fact represents less than 7% for everyone bar Netherlands who are still below 10%.

Of course it will be a headache. It will be headache inflicted on the EU by British actions, not by the EU, or constituent countries governments. Their failure to cave in does not change causation. And no remainer has claimed Brexit will be irrelevant on the continent, stop making stuff up please, brexiteers lies have already destroyed enough as is.

It will be a manageable headache for nearly everyone in the EU and it's not in the EU's hands to avert it. I've only said that the UK is vastly overestimating the topic's importance to domestic discussion in other countries, which I stand by.

I have not made the 10% up - the USA are no.1 with 11%.
France and Holland are joint 3rd with 6.3%

If trade is not so easy, that's not what the leading brexiters were saying is it? and the Uk will be starting from scratch, mind-blowing.

Why are you paying attention to leading brexiteers. They neither had the authority or capability at the time of the vote to enact any trade deals. The government backed remain, the next PM voted remain.

Only 3 years later did we get one of the leading brexiteers and we'll, that happened to be Boris Johnson.

At times I ask myself, would I rather stay I til we get someone competent in Government. Then I remember such a time will never come so it is what it is.

Which represents less than 25% of trades and in fact represents less than 7% for everyone bar Netherlands who are still below 10%.

As I said, I put % by mistake. I was refering to monitory value, hence upwards. Upwards % makes no sense. It was a typo that I have corrected. I was slightly off with Spain, but the rest are about the 25billion stated (after correction).

Of course it will be a headache. It will be headache inflicted on the EU by British actions, not by the EU, or constituent countries governments. Their failure to cave in does not change causation. And no remainer has claimed Brexit will be irrelevant on the continent, stop making stuff up please, brexiteers lies have already destroyed enough as is.

It will be a manageable headache for nearly everyone in the EU and it's not in the EU's hands to avert it. I've only said that the UK is vastly overestimating the topic's importance to domestic discussion in other countries, which I stand by.

Considering a recession requires on a 0.2% reduction in the economy for 2 consecutive quarters, rest assured, losing trade with the UK would likely plunge those countries into recession.

Putting a brave face on in public doesn't mean that behind the scenes things are different. There's a big reason avoiding no deal is so important, both in the UK and the EU, because the impact would be felt across the EU.

It's also why Johnson has some value in using it as a threat.

Why are you paying attention to leading brexiteers. They neither had the authority or capability at the time of the vote to enact any trade deals. The government backed remain, the next PM voted remain.

Only 3 years later did we get one of the leading brexiteers and we'll, that happened to be Boris Johnson.

At times I ask myself, would I rather stay I til we get someone competent in Government. Then I remember such a time will never come so it is what it is.

Johnson is leave today and remain tomorrow, whatever suits him and his mates.
So who persuaded you to vote for Brexit .
You seem to be convinced that Germany losing less than 7% of their customers is the same or worse as the UK losing over 50% of their customers.
It's not these people who are going to negotiate deals, it's the civil servants.

There will never be a good time to leave such a bloc - whoever is in charge of the UK government and whoever is in charge of the EU the WA would still be the same unless the UK remove their red lines which are leaving the CU and SM.
If Corbyn got in and thought he could get his unicorn deal through we'd still be in the same situation.

As I said, I put % by mistake. I was refering to monitory value, hence upwards. Upwards % makes no sense. It was a typo that I have corrected. I was slightly off with Spain, but the rest are about the 25billion stated (after correction).

Which is a meaningless point then because these figures don't represent as much as you are trying to portray and it's not even going to disappear. Some of it will disappear due to the simple fact that some manufactures will simply bypass the UK, aka moving production lines in the EU, the rest will mainly be more costly from an administrative standpoint but will still happen.

Considering a recession requires on a 0.2% reduction in the economy for 2 consecutive quarters, rest assured, losing trade with the UK would likely plunge those countries into recession.

Putting a brave face on in public doesn't mean that behind the scenes things are different. There's a big reason avoiding no deal is so important, both in the UK and the EU, because the impact would be felt across the EU.

So even if it were true - what happens to the UK - why did you vote for this catastrophic disaster?

Which is a meaningless point then because these figures don't represent as much as you are trying to portray and it's not even going to disappear. Some of it will disappear due to the simple fact that some manufactures will simply bypass the UK, aka moving production lines in the EU, the rest will mainly be more costly from an administrative standpoint but will still happen.

The point was simply that the EU will be impacted, in some cases quite significantly

And of course trade will continue, probably with relative ease. It is not me scaremongering about trade. That doesn't make for a great headline to whip people into a frenzy though.

It may well, but it isn't up to them now, is it? Boris' suicide vest tactic is as transparent as it is stupid. Threatening pain when you yourself suffer a multitude of it by the very act of inflicting it is among the worst negotiating tactics I've seen. It's figuratively a suicide bomber setting of his bomb outside a opera house claiming the noise will really disturb the people inside. (By the way I've become convinced that that isn't his real plan. He wants to leave without a deal no matter the price. This is just bluff for people like you).

Yeah and that reason's name is Ireland, a committed member.

Last edited: