Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Paul the Wolf

Score Predictions Competition Organiser
France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
I guess the only way to grow the population without immigration would be to encourage the indigenous population to have more children. For that you would need much higher levels of social security, namely free nursery places, more and better social housing and bigger tax breaks for parents etc. Zero chance of anything like that happening under a Tory government.
Although the Uk has the fourth highest birth rate in the EU behind Ireland, France and Sweden but none of them are enough to grow the population alone.

Paul the Wolf

We are flooded with OAPs. The indigenous ones for a start.

My mother spent the last 6 years of her life in a nursing home, with end stage dementia, basically a living doll. As were the rest of the residents. This scenario repeated in homes up & down the country.

Why the feck are we doing this?

Just one of a few things I’d be looking at, before shovelling immigrant care workers in as a sticking plaster solution.
People have been living longer. My own mother died last year aged 97 but lived at home and had all her faculties right up to the end.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Christ you are painful to listen to. How anyone can come across so smug and condescending while discussing their own ignorance and irresponsibility is beyond me.

This brand of pseudo intellectual, passive aggressive debating is definitely the most annoying result of the internet.
It's a question of interpretation. Smug? Am I excessively proud about my own achievements? No. In this context, am I proud that I didn't vote in the referendum? No. Am I proud that I don't understand politics, economics or law at even a basic level? No. Am I proud that the basis of my decision not to vote was my lack of knowledge on the critical issue being discussed? No. I'm a deeply flawed human being and I'm neither proud nor ashamed of that. I do find it useful to be vaguely aware of my own ignorance, which is what I think you've mistaken as pride.

So that's how something seemingly incoherent - being smug about being ignorant - can be true. It's because of your own interpretation, which from my very limited perspective, is not the right interpretation. The sad thing is, if I was on "your side", you'd interpret my motivations and actions entirely differently. Hence why you haven't had an issue with the passive aggression, smugness and general condescension from so many people in this thread. It's worth considering how the posts might influence people that don't fall into that camp, and how it might generate the tone you find so difficult to read.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If you have a European Army you will also need an Airforce. And Germany wants an aircraft carrier. All sounds pretty expensive to me but I am sure that you will be delighted to pay the taxes necessary.
Incidentally you are completely wrong. As soon as Europe opts to defend itself just watched Russia push west.
Who do you think is currently defending Europe?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

My mother spent the last 6 years of her life in a nursing home, with end stage dementia, basically a living doll. As were the rest of the residents. This scenario repeated in homes up & down the country.

Just one of a few things I’d be looking at, before shovelling immigrant care workers in as a sticking plaster solution.
As someone whose mother has dementia and battling to get her into a home, I’m wondering what you would suggest instead? Shoot them all?

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Wow... Harsh.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I guess the only way to grow the population without immigration would be to encourage the indigenous population to have more children. For that you would need much higher levels of social security, namely free nursery places, more and better social housing and bigger tax breaks for parents etc. Zero chance of anything like that happening under a Tory government.
Hungarian government are attempting something like this, and I’ve heard it’s been mooted in Italy too.

Strachans Cigar

As someone whose mother has dementia and battling to get her into a home, I’m wondering what you would suggest instead? Shoot them all?
Depends what stage she’s at. In my own families’ case, yes, I would have euthanised. I signed the DNR form which is the halfway house of course. Because that is morally acceptable currently.

I think euthanasia should be an option given the aging population, yes.

We are “generally” keeping people alive for too long, often by artificial interventions. Then we wonder why we have the problems that come with an aging population?

Paul the Wolf

Christ you are painful to listen to. How anyone can come across so smug and condescending while discussing their own ignorance and irresponsibility is beyond me.

This brand of pseudo intellectual, passive aggressive debating is definitely the most annoying result of the internet.
It's a new approach for me, admitting that he has no idea what he's talking about and telling everyone they are wrong.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
@Brwned I actually get where you are coming from and that's why I'm against referendums, that's why we use representative democracies and not direct democracies. A direct democracy would demand way too much knowledge from everyone on subjects that touch way too many fields, at Uni I didn't like EU law, so I can totally see why the average man wouldn't want to spend time on it after work.
In uni, during my economics degree, we had an entire module dedicated to the EU, it's history, treaties and how it worked. This brexit thing has shown me I didn't understand jack shit.

RochaRoja

So the Tories can roll them out to the polling station every five years.

JPRouve

Scout
In uni, during my economics degree, we had an entire module dedicated to the EU, it's history, treaties and how it worked. This brexit thing has shown me I didn't understand jack shit.
Most people don't, it's technical and a lot of aspects are a mixture of british, french and german legal philosophy, it's a unique structure. There is nothing crazy about it but you basically need to have an understanding of international law and have good notions in comparative law which are fairly large subjects.

Cloud7

Depends what stage she’s at. In my own families’ case, yes, I would have euthanised. I signed the DNR form which is the halfway house of course. Because that is morally acceptable currently.

We are “generally” keeping people alive for too long, often by artificial interventions. Then we wonder why we have the problems that come with an aging population?
Contender for worst post of the decade here.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

More chance of euthanasia being an option in liberal EU than a conservative UK. Imho.
A Dutch friend of mine with terminal cancer was given an injection by his GP, in the comfort of his own home. All fully discussed with family and was his dying wish. In Holland off course.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Broke: We need immigration to help pay for our ageing population.

Woke: We need to stop keeping old people alive.

Cloud7

In fairness we could use them all to test out the newly constructed public gallows
When I go to work tomorrow I’ll pop around to each ward and tell the nurses that there’s no point in keeping anyone over 65 (or maybe 60 depending on how full the ward is) alive and we should just discontinue all management.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
I would say he has a point, he's just putting it across very, very badly, and making it sound like we should take OAPs out and shoot them.

Euthanasia should be legal in every country suffering from aging populations imo. it's just cruel to keep people alive when they and their family no longer see the point.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Why would that happen? Russia hasn't pushed forward even when they had an aggressive NATO busy planting missiles defense systems around its borders, why on earth would it strike the moment we take control over our defence? Unlike the US who won't be impacted by a war in Europe unless they want to, both Russia and Europe would get hurt by such a war. Both parties would therefore be careful not to step on each other toes.
May I respectfully suggest that before making such statements about Russia that you first acquaint your self with the facts.

Russia hasn't pushed forward. Crimea, Ukraine spring to mind.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
So thats why leave voters want to bring back the death penalty, to use as population control

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Earlier you said Germany underfunding their military was a reason we should all be worried about an EU army. Now we should all be worried about paying more taxes for military equipment?

Also, and I'm concerned that this still needs saying, Germany is not the EU.
Quite. But it you read my comments you will see that I speak about a European Army.

I also seem to remember that when I first raised this issue I was assured that there was no such policy, simply discussion between a few EU countries.
Now I am being told it is a fantastic idea.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant

Forget nostalgia. Let's talk about dystopia instead.

Last edited:

Cloud7

I would say he has a point, he's just putting it across very, very badly, and making it sound like we should take OAPs out and shoot them.

Euthanasia should be legal in every country suffering from aging populations imo. it's just cruel to keep people alive when they and their family no longer see the point.
For things like terminal cancer, Huntington’s etc. where the patient is suffering, I agree. He’s talking about people with dementia here. You would be hard pressed to find a family who wants to euthanize a relative with dementia, having dealt with a few of them in the past.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant

In such a scenario I think you'd find an increasing emphasis placed on when the family no longer see the point.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Who do you think is currently defending Europe?
That will be NATO with assets from those European countries aligned to NATO but nominally under US command.
Question. Why is German still operating their Tornado bombers.
Answer. Because German has a NATO requirement to maintain nuclear capability and it does that by operating Tornado which can carry US supplied nuclear weapons.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
May I respectfully suggest that before making such statements about Russia that you first acquaint your self with the facts.

Russia hasn't pushed forward. Crimea, Ukraine spring to mind.
I am referring to the EU mate

Strachans Cigar

Yeah?
For things like terminal cancer, Huntington’s etc. where the patient is suffering, I agree. He’s talking about people with dementia here. You would be hard pressed to find a family who wants to euthanize a relative with dementia, having dealt with a few of them in the past.
Well, can only speak from experience and observations whilst visiting & witnessing patients at that stage. I would not personally keep a patient with end stage - did you get that - END STAGE - as I said my own Mother had so we are absolutely clear on this as you seem to have missed that?

And yes, euthanasia should be an option available more widely as you acknowledge yourself.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I am referring to the EU mate
Well I have just re-read your post and you definitely talked about Russia not pushing forward even when it was surrounded by US missiles.
I could have also reminded you about the Cuban Missile crisis.
The reason why Russia deployed nuclear missiles in Cuba was partly because NATO had stationed nuclear missiles in Turkey.

JPRouve

Scout
That will be NATO with assets from those European countries aligned to NATO but nominally under US command.
Question. Why is German still operating their Tornado bombers.
Answer. Because German has a NATO requirement to maintain nuclear capability and it does that by operating Tornado which can carry US supplied nuclear weapons.
What is this obsession with Germany? I mean it's not as if the UK and France combined spend more than the bigger Russia when it comes to military expenditure or have their own nuclear weapons. And being able to defend yourself isn't solely based on nuclear weapons.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
What is this obsession with Germany? I mean it's not as if the UK and France combined spend more than the bigger Russia when it comes to military expenditure or have their own nuclear weapons. And being able to defend yourself isn't solely based on nuclear weapons.
I am certainly not obsessed with Germany although I have worked there and have a number of German friends.
Regarding your post. You do realise I hope that both UK and France DO have their own independent nuclear weapons, separate from those of NATO.

Yes of course you can defend yourself without such weapons and I am all in favour of more spending on conventional weapons but unfortunately while there is a nuclear threat we have to be able to counter that threat.

Smores

Funny as i heard Trump pull out the same we're full line this morning. The USA can't take anymore people apparently.

I wouldn't discount that area of discussion completely as it does relate to us and the entire planet but are we really close to being full in the UK? We're going to carry on living longer and you've got the baby boom generation ageing so it's fairly evident we need migration to rebalance.

Last edited:

Strachans Cigar

Funny as i heard Trump pull out the same we're full line this morning. The USA can't take anymore people apparently.

I wouldn't discount that area of discussion completely as it does relate to us and the entire planet but are we really close to being full in the UK? We're going to carry on living longer and you've got the baby boom generation ageing so it's fairly evident we need migration to rebalance.
Older people could work longer than they are doing. Especially in sedentary occupations. Younger people could work in manual trades.

Meanwhile, what happens to the donor countries if we steal lots of their young people for the sake of our own selfish needs? No effects?

Some serious questions (and answers) needed looking at the medium & long term future of our country I think.

Are we full? Well, my town is. Hence another 8k houses + warehouses on green belt.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Older people could work longer than they are doing. Especially in sedentary occupations. Younger people could work in manual trades.

Meanwhile, what happens to the donor countries if we steal lots of their young people for the sake of our own selfish needs? No effects?

Some serious questions (and answers) needed looking at the medium & long term future of our country I think.

Are we full? Well, my town is. Hence another 8k houses + warehouses on green belt.
So you want the retirement age increased and for people to work longer instead of enabling policies that allow them to retire at the same age their parents did? That's nice, I guess.

Those "donor countries" are largely developing countries that are suffering from overpopulation of youth and a lack of an elderly population to support them due to much poor conditions and lower average life expectancy, basically the opposite of developed countries like the UK. It's almost like the current situation is a good thing for both of those sets of countries, or something.

Anyway you can talk all about controlled immigration all you want but from the stats so far it looks like the UK will let every bit as many people into the country as they were prior to the referendum, they just won't be from the EU, so .. yay?

diarm

Quite. But it you read my comments you will see that I speak about a European Army.
Possibly. But you have brought up Germany twice. What does Germany wanting an aircraft carrier have to do with a theoretical European Army? You are consistently failing to understand that the individual countries within the EU are just that; individual countries with their own concerns, aims and agendas.

I also seem to remember that when I first raised this issue I was assured that there was no such policy, simply discussion between a few EU countries.
Now I am being told it is a fantastic idea.
You seen to be under the impression his proves some sort of point for you?

A few people on an internet forum thinking a theoretical idea could be a good one, doesn't mean it's suddenly a fact and several European governments are scheming behind our backs.

Likewise, the fact that there is no policy, and only vague discussions about such an army doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad idea.

Strachans Cigar

So you want the retirement age increased and for people to work longer instead of enabling policies that allow them to retire at the same age their parents did? That's nice, I guess.

Those "donor countries" are largely developing countries that are suffering from overpopulation of youth and a lack of an elderly population to support them due to much poor conditions and lower average life expectancy, basically the opposite of developed countries like the UK. It's almost like the current situation is a good thing for both of those sets of countries, or something.

Anyway you can talk all about controlled immigration all you want but from the stats so far it looks like the UK will let every bit as many people into the country as they were prior to the referendum, they just won't be from the EU, so .. yay?
I guess we should try and engineer a solution through rates of immigration, rates of births and deaths in the UK that doesn’t involve anymore population growth. That’s all I’m saying.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I guess we should try and engineer a solution through rates of immigration, rates of births and deaths in the UK that doesn’t involve anymore population growth. That’s all I’m saying.
Because you are against immigration?

Strachans Cigar

This is what I’m saying about this forum. It’s like a remainer arguing their case on the Mail’s comments section. Yeah I’m a fascist.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
This is what I’m saying about this forum. It’s like a remainer arguing their case on the Mail’s comments section. Yeah I’m a fascist.
What part of the idea of maintaining a certain population size through mandatory euthanasia, controlled birth rates and limited immigration in order to encourage economic stability doesn't sound fascist to you?

Edit: N.B. I didn't call you a fascist, I said your suggestion sounds fascist.