Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ok but has no deal actually been prevented? I assume the answer is no

No. But the PM will be compelled to ask for an extension and the House will have the ability to amend the period of extension she asks for.

The EU could of course refuse any extension she asks for.

The EU have already said there will be no short delay as it will impact on the European Elections.

Yes. She'll be forced to ask for a longer one. No guarantee the EU would allow that either of course, but if they did, we would have to take part in EU elections.

Yes. She'll be forced to ask for a longer one. No guarantee the EU would allow that either of course, but if they did, we would have to take part in EU elections.
Yes and with no valid reason for requesting one, they'll refuse.

If they grant a long extension and then May gets ousted in favour of someone like Boris or Mogg, then they know it's a no deal brexit straight off.

If they grant a long extension and then May gets ousted in favour of someone like Boris or Mogg, then they know it's a no deal brexit straight off.

A bigger mystery than Ashley Young being captain is how Boris Johnson is even remotely close to being an MP.

Does this then strengthen Corbyn's position? he knows May needs to go ask for an extension with something concrete. Could Corbyn force May to go with some of his demands?

Does this then strengthen Corbyn's position? he knows May needs to go ask for an extension with something concrete. Could Corbyn force May to go with some of his demands?
My guess is that she'll likely accept a Customs Union of sorts, but no Single Market access, as the chances of getting that with no FoM (which both are against) is slim to absolute zero.
So i'd imagine she'll compromise with a CU and protections of workers rights etc

I really think something positive needed to come out of the indicative votes process. Common Market 2.0 and Clarke's CU getting voted down really felt like the beginning of no deal. Parliament just needed to throw the EU a bone to persuade them of the merit of a lengthy extension.

Overall, it looks grim, although a tiny, tiny bit less grim thanks to Cooper's motion passing tonight.

I really think something positive needed to come out of the indicative votes process. Common Market 2.0 and Clarke's CU getting voted down really felt like the beginning of no deal. Parliament just needed to throw the EU a bone to persuade them of the merit of a lengthy extension.

Overall, it looks grim, although a tiny, tiny bit less grim thanks to Cooper's motion passing tonight.
Or, as i say, it could backfire big time.
EU refuse a long extension without good reason. Second referendum already ruled out via no majority, so she calls a GE. Tories could (possibly, but not definitely) get a big majority. May has already said she's stepping down either way (after deal passed, or before GE, paving the way for a hard brexiteer to become PM (Mogg, Johnson et al). Should Tories get in power, whats stopping the then hard brexiteer PM saying "screw your deal, we're out"? It's what they want, and they'd not be afraid of doing it

I thought they already voted to say no to a no deal brexit the other day
Doesn't matter what they vote for, the legal default is no deal, and not even this bill tonight can stop that. If the EU refuse a long extension, then No Deal it is, unless Corbyn and May come up with something quickly

Or, as i say, it could backfire big time.
EU refuse a long extension without good reason. Second referendum already ruled out via no majority, so she calls a GE. Tories could (possibly, but not definitely) get a big majority. May has already said she's stepping down either way (after deal passed, or before GE, paving the way for a hard brexiteer to become PM (Mogg, Johnson et al). Should Tories get in power, whats stopping the then hard brexiteer PM saying "screw your deal, we're out"? It's what they want, and they'd not be afraid of doing it

Yes you are quite right. Indeed I'm sure that's the ERG's plan. Nothing in the political declaration is binding, so Boris/Gove/whoever can rip up the future relationship the second they get in to power, even if May does get her deal through.

I still don't know what's going on but this sounds like good news. I genuinely remain clueless at this entire situation.

Once this bill becomes law May is duty bound to request an Article 50 extension from the EU. The length of that extension request will ultimately be set by Parliament. EU can refuse, especially if there is no substantial reason put forward by the UK as to why it should extend.

In no way does the bill rule out no deal except as explicit government policy. A default no deal remains very much in the offing and as things stand is at the discretion of the EU.

Once this bill becomes law May is duty bound to request an Article 50 extension from the EU. The length of that extension request will ultimately be set by Parliament. EU can refuse, especially if there is no substantial reason put forward by the UK as to why it should extend.

In no way does the bill rule out no deal except as explicit government policy. A default no deal remains very much in the offing and as things stand is at the discretion of the EU.
And there lies the problem.

Parliament have ruled out a second referendum, and it's very unlikely one will pass anytime soon, as there's just no numbers for it at all (barring some huge change of minds). So the EU will demand something in return for a long extension, and to them, it's either a second ref, or a general election. At the moment, May doesn't want an election, so what basis do the EU have to sanction a longer extension?

Third reading of Cooper's motion passed by 1 vote (313 vs 312).

Red-faced twat Mark Francois immediately up on his feet calling it "a constitutional outrage".

03-36-gv8pr-6gg6g.jpg

Pointless vote.
My confusion arises from the fact that May made is public that she intends to get an extension to A50 and will work with Corbyn to secure a deal. So what was the need for this bill anyway? To force her to do something she was already going to do, which she has absolutely no control over anyway?

She could go to the EU, say to them "We need an extension" they ask why she replies "Because i've been told to ask for one" and they then ask on what grounds. She really has no grounds to ask for a longer one, and no mandate from parliament will change that

What's the general Brexit sentiment on redcafe then?

I assuming there was poll at some point.

There is a poll in this very thread that conveys the Caf sentiment nicely.

I was referring to the general Remain v Leave split, but no matter.

And as nice as the Caf sentiment is I struggle to see what people can learn from it given that it's not reflective of the general population.

And there lies the problem.

Parliament have ruled out a second referendum, and it's very unlikely one will pass anytime soon, as there's just no numbers for it at all (barring some huge change of minds). So the EU will demand something in return for a long extension, and to them, it's either a second ref, or a general election. At the moment, May doesn't want an election, so what basis do the EU have to sanction a longer extension?

Well, sod all. Parliament has to pass something amenable, which has a fair(ish) chance of occurring as the pressure of the leave date looms ever closer. If not Parliament is going to be left with the decision of no deal or revoke. I'm not certain what the outcome would be in that scenario but I imagine 'disastrous exit' is a handy favourite.

Thank you, that makes sense.

And as nice as the Caf sentiment is I struggle to see what people can learn from it given that it's not reflective of the general population.
There’s more Remain support in here than Leave.

I haven’t seen a post put forward a convincing argument for Leave yet.

I think it is reflective of the general population. Had the youth who are overwhelmingly remain bothered to vote in the referendum then it wouldn't have been close.

I think it is reflective of the general population.

Whilst I think it's accurate to claim to say that Remain is ahead in the polls and has been for some months, I don't think the poll above is reflective of the wider population as you say. One look at the results for Revoking Art 50 and a Confirmatory Ballot is testament to that.

The reason I asked the original question is that I've only recently received the ten likes required to contribute to the CE section. Prior to that I tended not to spend that much time reading the threads within it.

Had the youth who are overwhelmingly remain bothered to vote in the referendum then it wouldn't have been close.

Ahh, if only those who weren't that bothered had been more...bothered. I'm increasingly of the view that there's more of a case for raising the voting age than lowering it.

Last edited:
Ahh, if only those who weren't that bothered had been more...bothered. I'm increasingly of the view that there's more of a case for raising the voting age than lowering it.

That would make no sense at all. What our future looks like decades years from now should be decided by those who are going to be alive during it.

That would make no sense at all. What our future looks like decades years from now should be decided by those who are going to be alive during it.

The comment was half in jest.

Increasingly prolonged adolescence and delayed adulthood makes up the serious half. ;)

I'd seen the gap before but not registered the actual numbers. Those under-30 numbers are pretty decent, seeing that 18-year olds turned out at roughly the same rate as 50-year olds.

The killer was that literally everyone above 65 turned out. Amazing.

Edit - the class numbers are making me skeptical. Everyone aside from the rich (AB) voted Brexit, and C2DE voted for leave in overwhelming numbers (64-36). I find it hard to believe you'd reach a relatively close final figure of 52-48 with that makeup.