Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Interesting thread. Apparently none of the major parties apart from the Conservative's and indirectly the DUP ever advertised No Deal as a good thing in their manifesto's.

Interesting thread. Apparently none of the major parties apart from the Conservative's and indirectly the DUP ever advertised No Deal as a good thing in their manifesto's.

If a no confidence motion was called tomorrow... and the ERG didnt back May then I believe there is a period of 14 days to form a government... but presuming one can not be formed that commands a majority on the house then we have no government for 14 days and there is nobody to stop the legal default of no deal?

or is there a safeguard against that... otherwise that must be a realistic prospect?

Yeah, it is stupid beyond belief.

The only potential gain I can see of Brexit is that the fallout from it will be so catastrophic that the British people will not fall for this sort of con so easily again.

Unfortunately I don't see this in Britain or anywhere else. Politicians/rulers keep using the same tricks to fool people all the time. Keeps working and will keep working IMO.

If a no confidence motion was called tomorrow... and the ERG didnt back May then I believe there is a period of 14 days to form a government... but presuming one can not be formed that commands a majority on the house then we have no government for 14 days and there is nobody to stop the legal default of no deal?

or is there a safeguard against that... otherwise that must be a realistic prospect?

I'm assuming parliament would be able to pass motions to continue doing business, but in truth who the feck knows any more. This stuff is totally unprecedented. If the ERG try it though, they're traitors pure and simple.

Things could be worse, there's a fair few places in the world where the army would be preparing to settle the matter about now. Fortunately there's still a fair degree of respect for democracy here, dwindling as it sadly is.

I will be storming the Bastille if that happens.

Bercow did say he would only entertain a fourth vote if it had significant changes . So unless something miraculous come forward in the coming days , it could be a no deal.

What happens to British EU passports after April 12th in a No Deal scenario? Do they continue to be valid for free movement within the EU for the time being?

What happens to British EU passports after April 12th in a No Deal scenario? Do they continue to be valid for free movement within the EU for the time being?

I think Germany and maybe others passed some legislation about British people still being able to travel visa free to their country in the case of no deal for a short time, but free movement? Doubt it.

It would cause chaos at airports if they suddenly had to start checking all British Passports as if they were non EU Citizens so I'd imagine it'll be a gradual shift, surely.

Just did a bit of googling. Seems the EU have offered to give us visa free entry for short term (upto 90 day) stays but it’s dependent on the UK reciprocating.

So this is going to be fun. I have a business trip to London in May. Can I already apply for a visa? Just in case there really is a hard Brexit how long will the current travel laws still be in effect? Will it immediately end on April 11th? :nervous:

Oh yeah just to quote Lord Buckethead again "It will be a shit show". :wenger::lol:

I think Germany and maybe others passed some legislation about British people still being able to travel visa free to their country in the case of no deal for a short time, but free movement? Doubt it.
Germany will literally be rolling out the red carpet to take people off the plane in a sedan chair before waving them straight through customs ... they simply have to... I mean they sell loads of cars in the UK

I'm really curious as to what the EU and Ireland do about the border in the case of a 'no deal' scenario. Presumably they won't implement a hard border or put up border infrastructure (not that it's even practically possible to do in the short term, regardless of politics), and yet they will be looking to abide by the rules of the single market. If they find some way to square those things without NI remaining in the customs union or single market, the Brexiters will say 'ha, the backstop to avoid a hard border was a ruse all along'.

I'm really curious as to what the EU and Ireland do about the border in the case of a 'no deal' scenario. Presumably they won't implement a hard border or put up border infrastructure (not that it's even practically possible to do in the short term, regardless of politics), and yet they will be looking to abide by the rules of the single market. If they find some way to square those things without NI remaining in the customs union or single market, the Brexiters will say 'ha, the backstop to avoid a hard border was a ruse all along'.
Yeah, it's confusing that both sides are readying for the (apparently) realistic prospect of No Deal yet we haven't heard anything concrete about a solution to the border issue, or even that a solution theoretically exists. Are we being kept in the dark?

Yeah, it's confusing that both sides are readying for the (apparently) realistic prospect of No Deal yet we haven't heard anything concrete about a solution to the border issue, or even that a solution theoretically exists. Are we being kept in the dark?
There presumably is a secret contingency plan signed off by the EU for the border in a 'no deal' scenario, but they obviously can't reveal it publicly because it would give ammo to those saying there are alternatives to the backstop.

Whatever their solution is, it will be far from ideal and inevitably compromise the protections of the single market, or violate the spirit of the Good Friday Agreement.

Just did a bit of googling. Seems the EU have offered to give us visa free entry for short term (upto 90 day) stays but it’s dependent on the UK reciprocating.
Interesting. I'm going from the UK to Paris on the 9th so I'll already be within the EU on 12th April, travelling from Paris to Reykjavik on the 13th. I think someone previously told me in here it's fine once you're in.

Interesting. I'm going from the UK to Paris on the 9th so I'll already be within the EU on 12th April, travelling from Paris to Reykjavik on the 13th. I think someone previously told me in here it's fine once you're in.

Sure, if you’re already in a country then it doesn’t matter at all. You could only have problems if you were trying to enter one after the leave date.

There presumably is a secret contingency plan signed off by the EU for the border in a 'no deal' scenario, but they obviously can't reveal it publicly because it would give ammo to those saying there are alternatives to the backstop.

Whatever solution it is would be far from ideal and inevitably compromise the protections of the single market, or violate the spirit of the Good Friday Agreement.

I'm pretty sure that the contingency plan is the temporary isolation of the Island.

I think they got Derren Brown on the case, the border is all there and ready to go, we just cant see it yet.

I'm pretty sure that the contingency plan is the temporary isolation of the Island.
Apparently not...
Simon Coveney, the Irish deputy prime minister, said Ireland and the European commission were trying to work out how best to respond to a no-deal scenario to ensure the Good Friday agreement was protected, but also that physical infrastructure on the border was avoided.

He also said Ireland was not going to allow a situation where the UK leaving the EU without a deal “drags Ireland out of the single market with it”. He said:
"Checks in EU ports on all Irish products - that is not a runner, and will cause significant damage to our economy, so we will not allow it."

The single market would take priority over the GFA. The EU have nothing to do with the GFA.
Then you would end up with Ireland vs the rest of the EU if they introduced border checks on Irish goods entering continental Europe. I have no idea what they'd do in that scenario, or on the legality of it all.

Apparently not...

That's not what he wants and I totally understand but it's not exactly in his power, customs authorities are free to carry out any customs controls they deem necessary, and the criteria can be established at national, union and international level.

Unless I’m missing something, this Cooper/Letwin Bill just seems totally stupid and pointless. A wildly ineffective and inefficient way of probably not achieving anything of any use.

56526681_1877200589051700_606321529608732672_n.jpg

So May cancels Brexit, should go down well in the shires.
We all know a long delay is coming, followed by second referendum passing eventually in the house, followed by a remain win, all without even implementing the results of the first referendum. It’s okay though as it’s for the best of the country as the leave voters were clearly stupid. Democracy at its finest. It’s amazing to see how many are happy to ignore the votes of a once in a life time referendum as they deem it justifiable.

We all know a long delay is coming, followed by second referendum passing eventually in the house, followed by a remain win, all without even implementing the results of the first referendum. It’s okay though as it’s for the best of the country as the leave voters were clearly stupid. Democracy at its finest. It’s amazing to see how many are happy to ignore the votes of a once in a life time referendum as they deem it justifiable.
I wish I could share your optimism

Yes, so I’m not sure why the poster I quoted was saying it’s useless? Surely getting a law passed banning no deal by law is quite a momentous thing? What am I missing?
A few points:
  • The legislation doesn't 'ban no deal', it requires the Prime Minister to seek an extension from the EU
  • It is extremely unlikely to be able to pass the House of Lords in time, even if the Commons votes for it
  • Even if it passes, there's nothing to stop the EU rejecting an extension, or attaching conditions unacceptable to the PM or parliament
  • It says nothing about the length of any extension
In my opinion, it's mostly a distraction. But we'll see I guess.