Antony Brazil flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

4.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
100% correct. Sancho failure is his own and I have 0 sympathy for him. Antony on the other hand is just stupid move by the club, ETH identifying him in the first place and then nobody stopping this going through.

Yeah Sancho's issues are far more mentality related. Honestly if he had Antony's arrogance and aggression I think he'd be very good. But he's happy to let everything bypass him, not work particularly hard to improve now that he's "made it", and just approaches games as if he just doesn't want to be the one to feck up. Get some neat touches in, maybe a nutmeg, keep the passing simple, don't take any risks. It's like he plays football as if he wants to always look cool so he's reluctant to do anything that might come off with him looking stupid. Never shoots unless it's wide open and if so he'll never just twat the ball, doesn't try to take anyone on repeatedly unless he's 100% confident he'll beat them, almost never trys to create with a moment of magic in his passing and would rather someone else have that burden. It's disgusing really.

Antony himself just lacks the skill and athleticism to make it as an attacker in a top 5 league. There's not much wiggle room for a 1 footed winger that doesn't create with his passing/dribbling and is an erratic finisher that takes a high volume of shots. And the thing that has always been the case with Antony is that it was never something where he just "needed experience or more time", it was obvious a month into his time here that he was quite limited in what he could do and those limitations weren't going to disappear.

Yeah Sancho's issues are far more mentality related. Honestly if he had Antony's arrogance and aggression I think he'd be very good. But he's happy to let everything bypass him, not work particularly hard to improve now that he's "made it", and just approaches games as if he just doesn't want to be the one to feck up. Get some neat touches in, maybe a nutmeg, keep the passing simple, don't take any risks. It's like he plays football as if he wants to always look cool so he's reluctant to do anything that might come off with him looking stupid. Never shoots unless it's wide open and if so he'll never just twat the ball, doesn't try to take anyone on repeatedly unless he's 100% confident he'll beat them, almost never trys to create with a moment of magic in his passing and would rather someone else have that burden. It's disgusing really.

Antony himself just lacks the skill and athleticism to make it as an attacker in a top 5 league. There's not much wiggle room for a 1 footed winger that doesn't create with his passing/dribbling and is an erratic finisher that takes a high volume of shots. And the thing that has always been the case with Antony is that it was never something where he just "needed experience or more time", it was obvious a month into his time here that he was quite limited in what he could do and those limitations weren't going to disappear.
Absolutely true. One thing I want to add is Antony plays consistently on the same level. I argued in this thread few months after he joined that it looks to me Antony has hit his ceiling. Obviously there was a lot of positivity around the club as we were flying at that time so almost everyone disagreed, but one season later, not no much positive vibes and people started looking at things differently. However - that's what changed, not Antony performances. His second season was exactly the same as first (bar a few lucky shots), it's just he wasn't carried by the team so his flaws were more visible.

Sancho - like I said, I have no sympathy for him just like for other players who waste their ridiculous talents (Pogba also springs to mind).

Absolutely true. One thing I want to add is Antony plays consistently on the same level. I argued in this thread few months after he joined that it looks to me Antony has hit his ceiling. Obviously there was a lot of positivity around the club as we were flying at that time so almost everyone disagreed, but one season later, not no much positive vibes and people started looking at things differently. However - that's what changed, not Antony performances. His second season was exactly the same as first (bar a few lucky shots), it's just he wasn't carried by the team so his flaws were more visible.

Sancho - like I said, I have no sympathy for him just like for other players who waste their ridiculous talents (Pogba also springs to mind).
Personally don't think Pogba and Sancho remotely belong in the same conversation, regardless of if the former didn't reach the heights we hoped here.

But agree, Antony has hardly had "good" or "bad" form. His best games have been standard games he's had where he might have popped up with a curler or an assist but he's hardly been like a Garnacho or someone that you can see when they are really flying and when they are off

But agree, Antony has hardly had "good" or "bad" form. His best games have been standard games he's had where he might have popped up with a curler or an assist but he's hardly been like a Garnacho or someone that you can see when they are really flying and when they are off

It's much of a muchness I'd agree but Antony in his first season was way better than last season, where he was genuinely horrific at times.

At least in his first season, he was just mostly hard working, largely ineffective in the final thirds but a team player. Last season, his output (work rate, passing, decision making etc) was massively inconsistent and a net negative.

It's much of a muchness I'd agree but Antony in his first season was way better than last season, where he was genuinely horrific at times.

At least in his first season, he was just mostly hard working, largely ineffective in the final thirds but a team player. Last season, his output (work rate, passing, decision making etc) was massively inconsistent and a net negative.

Yeah I actually do agree as his game time decreased so did the work rate aspect. Despicable player honestly.

They seem to have had great chemistry with Mazraoui at Ajax so looking forward to seeing them link on the right. Maybe this is the signing we had to make to unlock Antony.

They seem to have had great chemistry with Mazraoui at Ajax so looking forward to seeing them link on the right. Maybe this is the signing we had to make to unlock Antony.
Mazraoui won't unlock his ability to beat a man, or get his ability to his teammates, or use his weak foot.

He isn't suited to English football period.

Yeah I actually do agree as his game time decreased so did the work rate aspect. Despicable player honestly.
He had a horrible season, but going back and revising history to say he doesn't work hard defensively (probably on the basis of a clip where he waved his arms about a bit when being told to play left back) is just silly.

Screenshot-2024-08-15-135252.png

Mazraoui won't unlock his ability to beat a man, or get his ability to his teammates, or use his weak foot.

He isn't suited to English football period.
I think he might have a good season actually. Less pressure now that he's clearly behind Rashford and Garnacho but should still get plenty of time, and with an overlapping full back he had played with he might improve.

He had a horrible season, but going back and revising history to say he doesn't work hard defensively (probably on the basis of a clip where he waved his arms about a bit when being told to play left back) is just silly.

What were you comparing him to, an orange?

These are his 2022-2023 premier league numbers compared to other wingers

tR2pojF.png

The only thing he had in the 90+ percentile was shots attempted.

What were you comparing him to, an orange?

These are his 2022-2023 premier league numbers compared to other wingers

tR2pojF.png

The only thing he had in the 90+ percentile was shots attempted.
He's probably using his 23-24 numbers...

I believe his troubles outside the pitch was a big part of why last season was as bad as it was, I expect more from him this season. Maybe not £80m worth of football, but still a lot better.

I believe his troubles outside the pitch was a big part of why last season was as bad as it was, I expect more from him this season. Maybe not £80m worth of football, but still a lot better.
We have two very promising options for the right side of attack in Amad and Garnacho - I hope we see very, very little of Antony (and in doing so we should be able to get shot of him).

Can't we just tell him to be like Robben so he'd be exactly that?
Basically don't ask him to train or do anything else. Just model his game around Robben, all day, everyday.
Base his performance reviews on Robben. Like "ok this year you are 45% Robben, better luck next year or you'll be sacked".

Last edited:
Can't we just tell him to be like Robben so he'd be exactly that?
Basically don't ask him to train or do anything else. Just model his game around Robben, all day, everyday.
Base his performance reviews on Robben. Like "ok this year you are 45% Robben, better luck next year or you'll be sacked".
I suspect the problem is that somebody told him exactly that a few years back.

I enjoyed him not being on the pitch on Friday.

Those thinking he may improve will, I think, be sorely disappointed. He is just useless.

I think that his defensive ability is the reason we won't sign a Fullback this transfer window. I think he would make excellent emergency cover.

We won’t see him until the Europa league starts up.

I think that his defensive ability is the reason we won't sign a Fullback this transfer window. I think he would make excellent emergency cover.

I also think he can do a job at LB, stepping into midfield. With Shaw completely unreliable we need cover at LB and I’d rather us get something out of Antony there than sign a crock like Chilwell.

Thought he did pick up some form at the end of the season, think it followed with a match where he was completely terrible and he's been frozen out eversince.

With the police investigation over, a good pre-season might have done wonders but he was unavailable.

Looking tough, Rashford, Garnacho, Amad are ahead of him with Garnacho able to play both sides.

Amad also needs to prove himself jn the league, think we'll see Antony more in the EL and cups.

I also think he can do a job at LB, stepping into midfield. With Shaw completely unreliable we need cover at LB and I’d rather us get something out of Antony there than sign a crock like Chilwell.

He'd be better as a left sided #8, Giggs or Di Maria style.

I know it sounds so simple but if only he developed the ability to beat the defender to the byline and sent in a simple cross with this right foot he could become a decent threat and maybe even a regular starter.

Brighton 2:1 Man Utd New
Didn't do anything wrong (or right) when he came on. But I just hate the sight of him. Seeing him just gets me down.

That backheel at the last second that went over the touch line is his entire career in 1 touch.

He came on to add security on the right side and failed to do so.

That backheel at the last second that went over the touch line is his entire career in 1 touch.
It didn’t have any impact, there was a long way to still progress the ball with seconds to play. Unlikely a chance lost.

But…I was screaming at the tele. It was cowardly. A blind back heel flick. Absolutely ridiculous decision. And agree it pretty much sums him up.

Didn't do anything wrong (or right) when he came on. But I just hate the sight of him. Seeing him just gets me down.

Well that attempt at winning the ball was pathetic and led to their winner

Madueke just scored 3x more goals in 15 minutes against Wolves than Antony did during the entire past season.

Not sure if we should laugh or cry. Probably both

He was not bad when he came on against Brighton. But like others have suggested, EtH should try him as a LB and see how that goes. Something like what happened with Valencia at RB.