Antony Brazil flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

4.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
First season wasn't that bad but the second one was tragic. I'm not writing him off yet but this is a big season for him.

First season wasn't that bad but the second one was tragic. I'm not writing him off yet but this is a big season for him.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if you can't make it for two seasons, there is no chance to suddenly blossom in season three at United's level

Antony has failed and he will never make it here. Everybody but him understands it and he should have been sold if our club were run properly

There’s a player there, he has qualities and was Brazils first choice about 18 months ago. I know playing for United can utterly destroy a player if they aren’t mentally strong, but his decline has been baffling

He hasn't declined, his level is just not good enough for what we need in this league

Hollow words. How many times have we seen that before as United fans?

Ultimately, you can’t just magic up a right foot and improve markedly as a player when you have clear limitations and deficiencies.

I admire the confidence - he’s not going to say anything different. He is after all an elite athlete but I don’t foresee any change. Too limited. Too predictable. He has to be behind Amad in the pecking order (who has shown far more). Garnacho is infinitely better at right wing also.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if you can't make it for two seasons, there is no chance to suddenly blossom in season three at United's level

Antony has failed and he will never make it here. Everybody but him understands it and he should have been sold if our club were run properly
I agree that he should have been sold, but please tell me how we sell a guy who wont want to leave? on his kind of money and aint that good? Its easy to say the club aint run properly, but tell us what they should have done?

His reference to the favela to me suggest he thinks he deserves some kudos for making it to United. Am sure every player playing at United and in the EPL had to overcome challenges to get to that level, and also have to continue to do so to thrive at this level.
He's nothing special and the sooner he gets that the better, if only he stop impersonating Robben and actually try to set his teammates up in attack maybe he'll be useful.
He is currently competing with two younger players who are highly rated, he got his work cut out.

I agree that he should have been sold, but please tell me how we sell a guy who wont want to leave? on his kind of money and aint that good? Its easy to say the club aint run properly, but tell us what they should have done?
By not giving him game time and letting him know he’s not going to get any game time either. If he values playing football over anything else he will be open to a move, most likely on loan rather than a sale. Not sure how much we would recoup in transfer fees if we put a price on him but wouldn’t expect anything north of £25m

He hasn't declined, his level is just not good enough for what we need in this league
Last season was a clear decline from his previous level. Which is bad, because even his previous level wasn't really good enough to be a starting player here, but he was decent enough to be squad player (for the short-term at least anyway). Then last season he just went from 'ok' to utter shit.

1. Make it clear he will not play a single minute at United ever again
2. Pay him off to feck off

It is expensive, which we can thank previous regime for, but it is not impossible. Actually it will be more expensive when Maguire and Lindelof leave for free next Summer, so we are penny-wise, pound-foolish with them. Antony's situation is more complex, but so was Ozil's and yet Arsenal showed character, we are a laughing stock

Onana talking crap then this turd also pops up. Thank god we got rid of Lingard, he’d be grabbing his first interview of the season by now.

1. Make it clear he will not play a single minute at United ever again
2. Pay him off to feck off

It is expensive, which we can thank previous regime for, but it is not impossible. Actually it will be more expensive when Maguire and Lindelof leave for free next Summer, so we are penny-wise, pound-foolish with them. Antony's situation is more complex, but so was Ozil's and yet Arsenal showed character, we are a laughing stock

Arsenal and Ozil was a totally different situation than Manchester United and Antony.

Ozil wasnt getting any minutes at Arsenal. ETH still uses Antony, the club isnt going to release/pay a player to leave if that player is actually being used by the manager. Or do you want the club to tell ETH that he isnt allowed to use a player that is part of the squad?

Arsenal and Ozil was a totally different situation than Manchester United and Antony.

Ozil wasnt getting any minutes at Arsenal. ETH still uses Antony, the club isnt going to release/pay a player to leave if that player is actually being used by the manager. Or do you want the club to tell ETH that he isnt allowed to use a player that is part of the squad?
Yes, if you want a player gone - stop using them and sending mixed messages. If you want to break up with your romantic partner, stop having sex with them after you told them it is probably not working

Antony is absolute bottom of the pack on the right wing after Amad, Sancho, and even Mount. FFS, even Bruno can play on the wing better than him. Most people think he is worse than Pellistri, who got almost no minutes. Antony is legitimately our worst attacking player, he should not be playing anything

Surely his last season here, then off to Turkey or bottom half Serie A? Abysmal.

What's impressive is: all the absolutely tragic players that have played for us in the post-Fergie era have had little Caf fan clubs, and posters who would go to bizarre lengths to vehemently defend them. This is of course, barring Antony. It's really a huge testament as to how bad of a signing he's been.

When he was playing well for Ajax it was all flair and free flowing. The groans and moans at old Trafford and general pressure have really impacted his game.

Andy Cole says hi

He'll move on in January or next summer when he accepts he's fallen further down the pecking order

Worst signing in the clubs recent history in terms of the economics and pound for pound value.

If he's circa 15-20 million his influence or lack thereof is easier to digest.

I can see Anthony performing in a system where the fullback overloads (regularly) and the striker makes runs to drag defenders, providing the spaces in the middle for him but at best it's still one trick pony territory.

He doesn't have the talent or guile of a Robben / Saka who are simplistic but effective in execution.

The best hope is for him to have a semi-decent season where he looks a 30 million pound signing and using that pedigree to drum up interest with the Saudi's or a moderate European club.

Last edited:
Worst singing in the clubs recent history in terms of the economics and pound for pound value.

If he's circa 15-20 million his influence or lack thereof is easier to digest.

I can see Anthony performing in a system where the fullback overloads (regularly) and the striker makes runs to drag defenders, providing the spaces in the middle for him but at best it's still one trick pony territory.

He doesn't have the talent or guile of a Robben / Saka who are simplistic but effective in execution.

The best hope is for him to have a semi-decent season where he looks a 30 million pound signing and using that pedigree to drum up interest with the Saudi's or a moderate European club.
I'd imagine he might be our worst ever signing.

Is it telling that Pellistri was preferred to him as a RB today? The one thing Antony had going for him was his effort defensively.

Don't really get the big circlejerk about how he's the worst signing ever, especially with Jadon fecking Sancho right there.

He had an appalling second season, but important goals against Arsenal, Barca and Liverpool as well as the fact that he can actually be arsed running about a bit puts him ahead of what Sancho has shown in a United shirt by a mile.

I'd imagine he might be our worst ever signing.
Depends on your definition.

If you're talking about a player being so ridiculously and obviously overpriced when we first bought him, then yeah he probably is. If you mean in terms of what they provide when they are at the club, then just in the last few years we've had VDB and Sancho who were both worse. Obviously Sancho (and Antony for that matter) might have time to turn that around, but at the moment Antony's first season is clearly better than any Sancho has had for us.

I think Sancho is a worse signing than Antony by quite a long way. Antony was at least mediocre over most of his first season, and he's never been lazy, Sancho has never strung games together at all.

To be clear, though; neither of them are good enough,

Depends on your definition.

If you're talking about a player being so ridiculously and obviously overpriced when we first bought him, then yeah he probably is. If you mean in terms of what they provide when they are at the club, then just in the last few years we've had VDB and Sancho who were both worse. Obviously Sancho (and Antony for that matter) might have time to turn that around, but at the moment Antony's first season is clearly better than any Sancho has had for us.
Yeah hard to argue with that. It's pretty incredible when Pogba and Maguire aren't even in the conversation for worst signing ever.

Sancho and Antony, a pair of well matched overpaid oxygen thieves

To be fair to Antony it is not the lack of effort or drive on his part , it i just lack of ability at this level. That is not his fault , it is more the fault of those who brought him here and thought he was good enough at this level.

Crazily one sided and predictable for a professional player , I see in an interview recently he said he has been working hard over the summer to remedy that , as well as increasing his assist ratio and scoring.

I am sure he will get a chance at some stage but it would be some turnaround to go from what we have seen so far to been even an adequate player in the premier league.

I like him.
He’s got ambition and drive sadly the ability just isn’t there.

Last season he rarely started and when he did he never completed the 90 minutes. Only 4 times in the league last year he played 85+ minutes.

So he really should of tried harder in the summer to find a new club. He won't get many games this year unless there is an injury crisis in attack.

He’ll get a chance to play with Mazraoui now at some point. This is probably his last chance.

Had a lot of shit going on last year that likely distracted him. He’s very young still at only 24.

Has to step up this year, though. The social media experts/Manchester United supporters are just waiting for any opportunity to slag him off. If he has another average/poor season they will be out for blood.

It's nice that he's confident about improving his G/A but also telling that no one actually believes it'll happen. His 2 best moments last season were his goal vs LIverpool in the cup and that assist to Garnacho at Chelsea so he again proved he can have great moments (same was the case in 22/23) but probably not more than that, at least not in the Premier League.

Don't really get the big circlejerk about how he's the worst signing ever, especially with Jadon fecking Sancho right there.

He had an appalling second season, but important goals against Arsenal, Barca and Liverpool as well as the fact that he can actually be arsed running about a bit puts him ahead of what Sancho has shown in a United shirt by a mile.
Odd way to phrase it given pretty much nobody here wanted him to do badly or revels in his failure.

As of now he has to be among our worst ever signings purely because the performances to fee ratio is among the worst. But I do think Sancho is an even worse one as while Sancho has twice the ability, his attitude is appalling. Antony is just not a very good footballer but I quite like his attitude on the pitch - his aggression and defensive ethic is always impression. He’s just completely out of place at this level especially at a club like United. Should be playing in lesser league really. I suppose he’s lucky that ETH stayed and he now has a final chance to prove himself. Hope he takes it but I’m struggling to see how.

Sancho and Antony are difficult to compare in my opinion. Sancho was once one of the most highly-rated young players in the world, often mentioned alongside Mbappé. We waited patiently to sign him, only to end up with a player who doesn't fit our style of play, lacks passion, and seems uninterested. Still, at the time of his signing, the fee seemed reasonable considering his past performances, statistics, and interest from other top clubs.

Antony, on the other hand, was never close to being worth his fee. We were taken advantage of by Ajax in what was essentially a panic buy after losing Greenwood. The board likely thought that his previous success under Ten Hag would translate to our team, but that hasn't been the case. Since joining, he has contributed almost nothing, displays a bad temper, overestimates his own abilities (just read his interviews), and is a one-dimensional player who's become a meme. Not to mention his off-pitch controversies.

In the end, both signings were huge flops, but Antony's was the worse of the two—possibly the worst signing we've ever made.

Sancho and Antony are difficult to compare in my opinion. Sancho was once one of the most highly-rated young players in the world, often mentioned alongside Mbappé. We waited patiently to sign him, only to end up with a player who doesn't fit our style of play, lacks passion, and seems uninterested. Still, at the time of his signing, the fee seemed reasonable considering his past performances, statistics, and interest from other top clubs.

Antony, on the other hand, was never close to being worth his fee. We were taken advantage of by Ajax in what was essentially a panic buy after losing Greenwood. The board likely thought that his previous success under Ten Hag would translate to our team, but that hasn't been the case. Since joining, he has contributed almost nothing, displays a bad temper, overestimates his own abilities (just read his interviews), and is a one-dimensional player who's become a meme. Not to mention his off-pitch controversies.

In the end, both signings were huge flops, but Antony's was the worse of the two—possibly the worst signing we've ever made.
100% correct. Sancho failure is his own and I have 0 sympathy for him. Antony on the other hand is just stupid move by the club, ETH identifying him in the first place and then nobody stopping this going through.

It's nice that he's confident about improving his G/A but also telling that no one actually believes it'll happen. His 2 best moments last season were his goal vs LIverpool in the cup and that assist to Garnacho at Chelsea so he again proved he can have great moments (same was the case in 22/23) but probably not more than that, at least not in the Premier League.
Problem is he lives off those rare moments and in his own mind appears to believe that he's got it all as a result of 2 actions in a season.