Antony Brazil flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

4.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
When Antony scored in the first half of his first game for us against Arsenal I was convinced we were onto something good with him.

I assume he'll start tonight despite Ten Hags comments. If he can't put in a decent performance V Barnsley then there's no hope really.
Surely he will play tonight yes, I will be very surprised if he's left out again. Imagine it. Blimey

I cant ever see him as a starter but for the fee and money he is on he should aim to at least be a good back up player and super sub. He should terrorise Barnsley and come on for 20 mins against Palace and cause them problems for example. Then at least he will have value in the squad.

I was genuinely excited when we signed him. While it was clear at the time that he wasn’t worth £80m and that we overpaid, I still believed he was a good player.

Back at Ajax, he even used his right foot occasionally, which he now refuses to do at United. It seems more like a confidence issue. At this point, it’s not even about criticism anymore—he’s become the butt of social media jokes. Remains to be seen if he has the mentality like Maguire to bounce back from that sort of 'memeification' of him.
Your post is spot on, fully agree.

Apparently when ETH asked him to cover left back and he made a scene about it, he went absolutely bizerk at him in the changing room after.

I remember seeing footage of him unhappy with that and talking/whispering afterwards and it raising a massive red flag. You do what is needed for the team, your a team player and you listen to the manager or feck off. We’ve had to much of this shite over the years and it’s time players realise if they don’t have the right mentality or attitude they can go elsewhere. That counts for everyone.

Maybe this is the lesson needed that a player smashing it in the Dutch league is very different to doing it at United in the prem. different ball game all together.
Yeah I remember that. Didn't think it was such a bad idea either. Antony is having trouble with the offensive side of things, beating his man and the like, but he has always been pretty good at tracking back and covering the fullback. To try something with such a player, see if he could function as an attacking fullback, it's not a bad idea at all especially if you have an injury crisis in defence. But Antony was obviously fuming.

I cant ever see him as a starter but for the fee and money he is on he should aim to at least be a good back up player and super sub. He should terrorise Barnsley and come on for 20 mins against Palace and cause them problems for example. Then at least he will have value in the squad.
He just doesn't seem to have the attributes to do this. He plays with intensity though, so even with the lack of raw pace, it should be possible.

I was genuinely excited when we signed him. While it was clear at the time that he wasn’t worth £80m and that we overpaid, I still believed he was a good player.

Back at Ajax, he even used his right foot occasionally, which he now refuses to do at United. It seems more like a confidence issue. At this point, it’s not even about criticism anymore—he’s become the butt of social media jokes. Remains to be seen if he has the mentality like Maguire to bounce back from that sort of 'memeification' of him.

Without going over the top, I can't remember the last time I saw such a one footed player.
It could as you say be a conference issue.
But opposition defenders just show him inside to where there is no space.

Without going over the top, I can't remember the last time I saw such a one footed player.
It could as you say be a conference issue.
But opposition defenders just show him inside to where there is no space.
Probably only rivalled by Antonio Valencia in my view but he had the pace and strength to compensate for it. And that is what makes it more frustrating as I think he is capable of using his right foot but is not showing it.

Yeah I remember that. Didn't think it was such a bad idea either. Antony is having trouble with the offensive side of things, beating his man and the like, but he has always been pretty good at tracking back and covering the fullback. To try something with such a player, see if he could function as an attacking fullback, it's not a bad idea at all especially if you have an injury crisis in defence. But Antony was obviously fuming.
Plus he was simply being asked to cover in a moment of need, he didn’t start him in that position.

On another note, he starts tonight, let’s see how hungry he is.

Looking forward to the hilarious two full pages of "not even League One standard" if he has a quiet game or "found his level" if he's good.

Doesnt get a start agaisnt Burnley, should be looking for a new club soon.
I’d be ordering a takeaway and an Uber mate you’ve had enough for one day.

Just seen you’ve posted twice lately for the 1st time in 9 years. Welcome back they’ve been 2 cracking posts :lol:

Man Utd 7:0 Barnsley New
Sad for him, but definitely looks a step off from the rest of the team. Maybe this is a benchmark of progress for the rest of the team?

Did well tonight and took his penalty well. Should give him confidence as it's going to be a long season and we can't rely on only Amad.

He did fine - the issue is, while everyone is playing really well effortlessly, he looks like he's putting every ounce of talent and energy that he has into looking, well, fine against a League 1 team.

He did fine - the issue is, while everyone is playing really well effortlessly, he looks like he's putting every ounce of talent and energy that he has into looking, well, fine against a League 1 team.
This. Not good enough but that’s also not his fault. He works hard

Decent performance, nothing groundbreaking but was generally quite good. Super annoying grin every time he messes up a passage of play.

Worked the penalty and scored it. Good for him. But he was trying so hard to score another and he just couldn't. Towards the end there it looked like he was left far behind by the rest of the team.

Overall, a decent but unimpressive performance against a League One team, heavily contrasted by the performances of the other forwards.

Did good. Great energy. Must find his end product asap, though. But all in all, good passing and pace throughout the game.

Did well. Could tell he was desperate to get another goal towards the end.

A bit awkward to be honest, looked like he was really trying and yet you could tell he's level below the rest of the team. Also felt like the team was trying to set him up for a goal...

I almost don't take him seriously as a footballer anymore, but he had a decent game today I guess. Don't expect him to play anytime soon unless we're cruising and just want to keep the ball.

Needs to go - I do feel bad for him because it's not entirely his fault this hasn't worked out (mostly his fault, but also the price tag). But I really don't think he's a PL level player, he should also welcome a change of scenery elsewhere to be a starter and get his career going again - Include him in a deal for Varela at Porto next season or something, a la Renato-Neves.

A bit awkward to be honest, looked like he was really trying and yet you could tell he's level below the rest of the team. Also felt like the team was trying to set him up for a goal...

I almost don't take him seriously as a footballer anymore, but he had a decent game today I guess. Don't expect him to play anytime soon unless we're cruising and just want to keep the ball.
Bare in mind he’s a player very very low in confidence. He looked very sheepish out there tonight.

Not a day for complaining obvs… very decent team performance, and overall Antony did ok.

But I can’t help but dislike the lad. He has a habit of smiling and smirking when a chance breaks down with him… in the kind of way that someone who is having a great game does when they have that one moment in the game when they do something daft, like let the ball roll underneath their foot.

But in reality he is having as many of those moments as the positive ones, if not more.

It really winds me up.

He looked a bit out of place I thought. Trying desperately to get in on the action but looked physically and technically short of the others.

He scored, he didn’t register his standard 5 misses from outside the box. Not as good as other wingers, but Ok for a rotation player

He scored, he didn’t register his standard 5 misses from outside the box. Not as good as other wingers, but Ok for a rotation player

Agree. If he can deliver as a rotation player, it’s all good. Major bonus and not likely, he turns a corner and start delivering the football we hoped for.