Antony Brazil flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

4.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
One things for sure, we need to stop talking about his price. The club made that (bad) decision and it has NOTHING to do with his performances.

We don’t sit here saying “ oh he’s had a great game, especially for the 100k we paid in the academy system”

What we will see now is balance - Antony was a bad decision under the old regime. This year, we’ve got De Ligt and Mazraoui for a combined £55m, which is a bargain for their level so it’s gonna even out.

His price is a major reason why we have been unable to go for other players so no we do not need to stop talking about it.

His price is a major reason why we have been unable to go for other players so no we do not need to stop talking about it.
What does it achieve bleating on every game about how much he cost when its not the players fault what someone wants to pay for him. No one is debating that he is worth 85m and isn't a waste of money but thats in the past now under a different management structure. He can be a useful squad player for us this season and his performance the other night was encouraging if we judge it on its merits and not what an 85m player should play like

Your analogy is all wrong.

Man United paid a silly fee, did you expect Antony to say no I don't want to join Man United because I am not worth that price.

He can't automatically make himself good enough to be worth 90m, his talent and ceiling is never anywhere near 90m and it is the club to blame for overpaying.

It's not his fault what the club paid.

What a terrible analogy this is, he didn't choose to pay himself so how is it his fault, United gave him that money and they could get rid of him if they chose to most probably at a loss but again he didn't pay the fee.

Also if you were offered a job on higher wages that maybe you knew you couldn't do at that level there is no way you wouldn't take it and hope for 2 things one you could grow into and adapt to the new job or you could get away with it for a bit and make your money.
OK then. Never criticise a player ever again. It's not thier fault. They are trying aren't they. Does it matter if they were bought for 80 mill or 5 million. Its not thier fault the club signed them and they weren't good enough. No more criticism of players from now on.

What a terrible analogy this is, he didn't choose to pay himself so how is it his fault, United gave him that money and they could get rid of him if they chose to most probably at a loss but again he didn't pay the fee.

Also if you were offered a job on higher wages that maybe you knew you couldn't do at that level there is no way you wouldn't take it and hope for 2 things one you could grow into and adapt to the new job or you could get away with it for a bit and make your money.
So? Just because you would also do it, doesn't make it right does it? You would also get found out and clowned by your colleagues and bosses. Or do you think they'd be understanding and supportive of you, because it's something they'dalso do?

Your analogy actually makes you look worse

It’s admirable that you would turn down a job which you may not be capable off but which would make you an instant millionaire.

It’s naive to think that’s what most would people do

And actually, I don’t believe for a second you would refuse such a job offer yourself if it was something you dreamed of since childhood while turning you into a millionaire for life
I never said I would turn it down. I'm not fkn nuts. But if I took it and I knew I wasn't good enough or even if I did think so but after a year I was performing sht then I would be a hack. A con artist. Whatever you want to call it. I would be sucking at the teat if the company and affecting its employees with my less than adequate work. I'd be embarrassed. I probably won't walk out because I would want the cash but at the same time I'd be suprised if anyone gave me a hug and said don't worry it's not your fault. They fkd up hiring you. It's called responsibility and accountability.

Last edited:
OK then. Never criticise a player ever again. It's not thier fault. They are trying aren't they. Does it matter if they were bought for 80 mill or 5 million. Its not thier fault the club signed them and they weren't good enough. No more criticism of players from now on.
What’s the world coming to? You can’t even criticize someone for what somebody else did and what you’d do in their situation, without being criticized for it.

I actually tend to agree with you. It would probably make things easier for you if you never criticized someone again.

PS. Please don’t take this as criticism in any way.

I thought he did quite well against Barnsley but we also need to consider the level of opposition was poor. The same can be said about all players performances in that game, a lot of good ones but not comparable to a PL game.

Didn't do enough to convince me he should be anywhere near the starting 11.

His finishing and crossing was pretty poor I thought but his short passing was very good so that's an improvement at least. Good pen too.

His finishing and crossing was pretty poor I thought but his short passing was very good so that's an improvement at least. Good pen too.

Is it an improvement? I think he has always been decent at short passing and keeping possession of the ball that way. His cutting inside and bad shooting and non-existent have always been part of his game too. To me it was basically more of the same.

I thought he did quite well against Barnsley but we also need to consider the level of opposition was poor. The same can be said about all players performances in that game, a lot of good ones but not comparable to a PL game.

Didn't do enough to convince me he should be anywhere near the starting 11.
I have seen Antony struggle against Reading in the FA cup. I think if he understands his limitations then he might find solace. His passing looked crisp and off the ball movement was sharp. What he needs to realise is that he doesn't have the explosiveness to beat players consistently.

So what can he do better? Given his lack of genuine pace, he needs to compensate by improving his runs off the ball and penetrating the back line of the opposition. In fact, all the attackers at manchester united need to work on that. Antony needs to improve his right foot and make simplified decisions around the box. Given his diminutive stature, he needs to play quicker and with more intelligence - that's what all the top players of that size do, and Amad does it well.

Antony has had to be humbled by the Premier League because he came in strutting about. Barnsely is a good start but he should be nowhere near starting a game. More work to be done.

Is it an improvement? I think he has always been decent at short passing and keeping possession of the ball that way. His cutting inside and bad shooting and non-existent have always been part of his game too. To me it was basically more of the same.

Yeah it is an improvement for me. Poor execution of through balls was something I was very surprised at when he first arrived tbh. He clearly had good vision for them but his execution was dreadful. We've seen early doors that his shooting can be ok so if he can combine that with high quality progressive passing then at least that's something to work with. Like you say, the only thing he has consistently demonstrated in his time here is a good ability to press and keep possession, but he's an attacker and the possession has to go somewhere or it's a bit pointless.

With a shooting threat and passing threat he's an own brand Mahrez, without them he's...a shite wing back?