2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Not really, if you're going to parry, parry to safety and a lot of keepers will just smother that shot anyway, it's 20 yards out not too close to the post.

I like him, been one of his bigger defenders on here, but when I saw that first save my first reaction is that has to be pushed wide. He'll know himself he got enough on it, the second save is an excellent recovery stop.

Haven’t you played in goals? That’s such a weird thing to say from someone who’s played that position. Obviously when you can direct the ball you direct it away from danger but there’s countless examples when that just isn’t possible. It happens all the time. You just need to get a strong hand behind the ball and it goes where it goes. The David Raya penalty save is another example. The idea that every parried shot comes with the luxury of being able to precisely direct the rebound really misunderstood how difficult the job of a goalkeeper is.

Haven’t you played in goals? That’s such a weird thing to say from someone who’s played that position. Obviously when you can direct the ball you direct it away from danger but there’s countless examples when that just isn’t possible. It happens all the time. You just need to get a strong hand behind the ball and it goes where it goes. The David Raya penalty save is another example. The idea that every parried shot comes with the luxury of being able to precisely direct the rebound really misunderstood how difficult the job of a goalkeeper is.

I do aye, that shots different to a penalty though. It's low and far enough out that he has time to react to either smother it or get it to safety. He did neither.

Can almost guarantee he'll do something similar at some point in the season and the rebound will be tapped in. Then you'll have the usual suspects in here saying he should have done better on the first shot.

Second save is brilliant, but he should do better with the first one. That's all I'm saying.

Pleased with him yesterday, has been heavily criticised but I’m starting to like him. The only disappointment is he seems to have stopped playing the ball forward as much, which must be the instruction.

This is what what we paid all that money for. Long may it continue.

It's one of those where the closer the ball is to the keeper, the harder it is to push wide.

The ones that get pushed wide tend to be where the keeper is at full stretch to reach it. Some times it's better for the strike to be closer to the corner so the keeper can just tip it round the post, but the risk is of course if it's in the corner the keeper may not reach it at all.

It's the same reason Raya pushed the ball back out for a rebound a few days ago rather than pushing it out wide.
Exactly. I do coaching for kids and we specifically focus on both divings. This one is very vertical and you have no option to push it out wide.

The hatred towards this player is just unreal.

Not really, if you're going to parry, parry to safety and a lot of keepers will just smother that shot anyway, it's 20 yards out not too close to the post.

I like him, been one of his bigger defenders on here, but when I saw that first save my first reaction is that has to be pushed wide. He'll know himself he got enough on it, the second save is an excellent recovery stop.
Help us with a video of another GK doing whatever you just said.

Better than either of the Raya double saves the media have been wanking over for weeks now.
Excellent penalty save. Great double save? meh.

The second save from Raya was hardly that impressive. He got up and threw himself full stretch to the other side.
I'd expect that much effort from Odegaard if he'd subbed in for Raya while carrying his injury. The striker then practically headed the ball straight down at the only spot the gk could be in.

Help us with a video of another GK doing whatever you just said.

Why does it need a specific video?

I would say majority of times a keeper will get down and smother that shot quite well or turn it away, with no fuss, very rarely will a keeper spill that back up into a danger area like that.

Exactly. I do coaching for kids and we specifically focus on both divings. This one is very vertical and you have no option to push it out wide.

It's actually harder to scoop that up into the air like he did than to push it off to the side.

I don't hate him, I actually like him, but I'm just pointing out that his technique on the first save was poor, the recovery save was excellent.

With the speed it was travelling he just about got to it. His arm was behind him when he got to the ball. Ridiculous to expect anything more than just saving it. They were 2 fantastic saves.

I would say majority of times a keeper will get down and smother that shot quite well or turn it away, with no fuss, very rarely will a keeper spill that back up into a danger area like that.

It's actually harder to scoop that up into the air like he did than to push it off to the side.

I don't hate him, I actually like him, but I'm just pointing out that his technique on the first save was poor, the recovery save was excellent.
No keeper is smothering that first shot, it was a powerful strike hit with serious pace. It's a good save on its own.

No keeper is smothering that first shot, it was a powerful strike hit with serious pace. It's a good save on its own.
Plenty of keepers are dealing with that shot better.

We'll see what's said the next time he saves one back into that area and it gets tapped home.

Mate - one last time. if you think majority of the times keeper will keep it outside just give me one video where a GK has done it for that kind of shot

I’ve never came across a keeper who is as micro analysed as Onana, fantastic performance with a wonder double save, yet we have people on here making up errors about how he should of prevented the need for the second one.

Hope his form continues.

No professional but played in goal for 40 years and the first save is a lottery. You get a hand on it and hope for the best that you defenders clear it....

Agree. When it comes straight on, not so easy to push it wide. The criticism of the first save is based on people's preexisting negative view of him.

He gained some Redemption yesterday. More of that and he will win many over including me.
He hasn’t been good enough in many games but I hope he can push on from yesterdays motm performance.

That double save was fire.... I think he has come a long way. No complaints from me anymore...

Mate - one last time. if you think majority of the times keeper will keep it outside just give me one video where a GK has done it for that kind of shot

Find me a video where keepers regularly spoon that up into the air.

Like I said, I like him, but his technique for that save was questionable and it's something that will pop up again, because it happened a lot last season. Let's see how people react when one of those gets tapped hom.

I do agree that Onana perhaps could have done better to push it wide, but it was quite a bit more difficult than what you seem to be making out. No keeper is smothering it, and plenty of times it'll be pushed back into dangerous positions.

From memory he pulled off a similar double-save a few matches ago which was more like what you're saying. That time he definitely should have been able to push it wide and it was a mistake to let it spill into the middle. This one was a fair bit more difficult.

I’ve never came across a keeper who is as micro analysed as Onana, fantastic performance with a wonder double save, yet we have people on here making up errors about how he should of prevented the need for the second one.

Hope his form continues.
An agenda one would call it , some would have preferred he fecked it up so they could say “told you so “

I do agree that Onana perhaps could have done better to push it wide, but it was quite a bit more difficult than what you seem to be making out. No keeper is smothering it, and plenty of times it'll be pushed back into dangerous positions.

From memory he pulled off a similar double-save a few matches ago which was more like what you're saying. That time he definitely should have been able to push it wide and it was a mistake to let it spill into the middle. This one was a fair bit more difficult.

Aye, I'm just looking at the first and right away I thought he could have done better, second save is brilliant but the first one is not good enough for me. He should be dealing with that better.
I know people don't agree and that's fine, but I can almost guarantee he knows himself he should have done better and was lucky to get away with it.

I'll leave my "agenda" here for today.

As said before, I have given him loads of stick but the first was a decent save given that it came at pace, and the second was excellent.

Last two games he has done well.

I don't blame him for that goal. I'd lay the blame at the 5 players that fell over to let that player through.

He’s the anti de gea. Penalties and ball playing are strengths, but rarely pulls out the saves you bank on keepers to make.

That double save was still quality though.

His positioning for their goal was genuinely hilarious. Looks like he had no idea where the goal was

He can't do average. A genius or a clown, nothing in between.

Long term you can't have that with a goal keeper. He has been here for over a year and you can make a good 10 minute compilation about goals we conceded due to his mistakes/poor positioning.

Once again, his lack of fundamentals was on display for their goal tonight. Mazroui was blocking the far side of the goal - yet Onana doesn't make sure to cover the only place where the attacker could put the ball.