2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
This isnt one of those 'beaten at his near post' situations, the player could pick his spot either corner. What I'd sooner he did in these 'one on one' situations is come more off his line. I think he helps make their minds up for them, in where to put it.

All that said, can't be held accountable and should never be put in that situation in the first place...

This isnt one of those 'beaten at his near post' situations, the player could pick his spot either corner. What I'd sooner he did in these 'one on one' situations is come more off his line. I think he helps make their minds up for them, in where to put it.

All that said, can't be held accountable and should never be put in that situation in the first place...

It's fine that he's not accountable for the goal, it's a series of players fecking up, but you still want Onana, or any goalkeeper for that matter, to close that angle and move towards the player and force the shot across him, instead he gambles on where the shot will come and takes a step towards the right which leaves him completely wrong footed if the shot goes anywhere else.

It's fine that he's not accountable for the goal, it's a series of players fecking up, but you still want Onana, or any goalkeeper for that matter, to close that angle and move towards the player and force the shot across him, instead he gambles on where the shot will come and takes a step towards the right which leaves him completely wrong footed if the shot goes anywhere else.

Goalkeeping is always a gamble, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. 70% of the time, a forward scores in that situation.
As a keeper myself, when you gamble and it goes against, you look stupid and make the goal look easier than it was....

I think the issue with Onana because of his first season, we are now looking for the errors when in reality, this isn't one.

Funny how the narrative changes to fit people's agenda. Remember people saying her can't 'dive' or isn't a shot stopper.....

This thread is a good way of identifying posters who just don’t have any clue. There’s a man square in the box, it’s an impossible situation for a keeper and the striker is clever enough to use the eyes and pull it near post. I’ve seen Mason Greenwood score goals like that in double figures and the opposition keeper didn’t get any portion of blame because it’s a great finish.

Goalkeeping is always a gamble, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. 70% of the time, a forward scores in that situation.
As a keeper myself, when you gamble and it goes against, you look stupid and make the goal look easier than it was....

I think the issue with Onana because of his first season, we are now looking for the errors when in reality, this isn't one.

Funny how the narrative changes to fit people's agenda. Remember people saying her can't 'dive' or isn't a shot stopper.....
Nah, he's just not a very good keeper. He does weird things and weird movements. It's almost like he's overthinking every single action, because it looks so unnatural. People have been saying as much since he joined. Not every discussion is some vendetta driven hate match.

The Onana lovers above are talking nonsense. A keeper should never get beaten near post. its a fundamental rule of goalkeeping. If he goes other side of him and gets beaten or then you hold your hands up and say fair play. But never get beaten at your near post. His positioning is all wrong. He needs to be one step closer and half a step to his left. Then the player has smaller spaces to hit. 99 percent of Prem goalkeepers would have set this way and 99 percent of keepers would have saved that shot. Why? Because they set correctly. All these excuses that he shouldn't be in that position and he was gambling is nonsense. Even Onana will look back with the goalkeeper coaches and analyze that it was a fk up

This thread is a good way of identifying posters who just don’t have any clue. There’s a man square in the box, it’s an impossible situation for a keeper and the striker is clever enough to use the eyes and pull it near post. I’ve seen Mason Greenwood score goals like that in double figures and the opposition keeper didn’t get any portion of blame because it’s a great finish.
Correct. There's a percentage of numpties who have never played football bar the odd kickabout in the school playground and their entire understanding of the GKing position is based around lazy commentator soundbites like "shouldn't be beaten at your near post".

As you say, a basic understanding of football would help people see that Onana was taking a calculated gamble, in an impossible situation, on the forward passing. Had he passed, Onana would have had a chance of getting across to block.

Nah, he's just not a very good keeper. He does weird things and weird movements. It's almost like he's overthinking every single action, because it looks so unnatural. People have been saying as much since he joined. Not every discussion is some vendetta driven hate match.
Its all about opinions, maybe no VDS but Peter wasn't easy on the eye either. He's not the problem and already saving us points this season, than costing us any.
Some on this fanbase and now looking for mistakes that aren't there.....

Always happy to improve someone’s mood. Now return the favour and give me a laugh by explaining why a goalkeeper should deliberately make it easier to score on one side of him than the other?

Goalkeepers shouldn't do that, which is why people are criticizing his positioning for Twentes goal.

Spot on. He can only gamble and sometimes it goes for you and other times it doesn't. Maybe could have come off his line a foot but it's a judgement call.
It was a composed finish and done him with 'the eyes'.....

Goalkeepers shouldn't do that, which is why people are criticizing his positioning for Twentes goal.

His positioning was fine. Freeze the video at the point of the shot. It was no easier to score at either post. The one and only criticism that could be made is whether or not he should have charged off his line to narrow the angle further but the combination of the defender lunging in to make a block and the attacker waiting in the centre of goal made that a far from obvious decision.

Whatever, the idea that a near post goal is always a goalkeeping error is one of the most annoying and stupid myths in football. Perpetrated by people who haven’t a clue about goalkeeping.

The overanalyzing of every single goal Onana concedes just to shit on him is fecking crazy on here.

Spot on. He can only gamble and sometimes it goes for you and other times it doesn't. Maybe could have come off his line a foot but it's a judgement call.
It was a composed finish and done him with 'the eyes'.....

Every action in football is a calculated gamble.... its just when most players play the odds they take the option that gives them the higher probability of success.

While this clearly wasn't a major blunder, it's just another basic mistake in a long line of them.

Considering the Liverpool game, he seems to be developing a propensity to leave his near post wide open.

His positioning was fine. Freeze the video at the point of the shot. It was no easier to score at either post. The one and only criticism that could be made is whether or not he should have charged off his line to narrow the angle further but the combination of the defender lunging in to make a block and the attacker waiting in the centre of goal made that a far from obvious decision.

Whatever, the idea that a near post goal is always a goalkeeping error is one of the most annoying and stupid myths in football. Perpetrated by people who haven’t a clue about goalkeeping.
The near post comment is something about a specific situation in football where the forward can only score there so that's the only thing the keeper needs to concentrate on. We all know that situation yet people want to use that narrative for everything.

The point you make about the defender coming across I missed, and I think as a keeper in that situation you hope he comes across and the forward then goes for the angle you've got covered....if any of that makes sense!!

The near post comment is something about a specific situation in football where the forward can only score there so that's the only thing the keeper needs to concentrate on. We all know that situation yet people want to use that narrative for everything.

The point you make about the defender coming across I missed, and I think as a keeper in that situation you hope he comes across and the forward then goes for the angle you've got covered....if any of that makes sense!!

Yeah, the near post criticism thing is only potentially justifiable when the keeper is standing right up against the post defending a shot from a wide angle and the ball basically goes through him into the goal. Even then I maintain that if he leaves so much space at the far post that it becomes an easier finish, he’s too close to the near post.

Always happy to improve someone’s mood. Now return the favour and give me a laugh by explaining why a goalkeeper should deliberately make it easier to score on one side of him than the other?

Very different from your initial statement "The whole point is to make the likelihood of scoring at each post exactly the same."

I understand the spirit, but the wording was funny.

For instance, if the goalie was positioned in such a way that it was difficult to score at the near post, but easier to score at the far post, your objective can also be achieved by him vacating the goal completely, thus making the likelihood of scoring at each post exactly the same.

I don't think it's fine. I think he leaves his left post too open in combination with gambling on the shot going across him, he takes a step to the right when the shot is coming which leaves him completely wrong footed to save any shot that goes towards his left. I don't think that's a gamble he should be making. Mazraoui coming in from the opposite side also means increased likelyhood of potentially blocking a shot that goes across him. I think he misreads the situation and that he should be faster off his line as well.

See above.

Not sure what people have said. I think he's generally awfully slow at getting down when you have shots that are low and somewhat close to him. Hopefully it's something they've worked on.

I mean you can blame him for the goal when the truth is he should have saved it but was totally out of position yet again.

Just because another player or players made mistakes which led to the chance doesn't mean he should be absolved of making a pathetic attempt of saving it

I don't think it's fine. I think he leaves his left post too open in combination with gambling on the shot going across him, he takes a step to the right when the shot is coming which leaves him completely wrong footed to save any shot that goes towards his left. I don't think that's a gamble he should be making. Mazraoui coming in from the opposite side also means increased likelyhood of potentially blocking a shot that goes across him. I think he misreads the situation and that he should be faster off his line as well.

See above.

Not sure what people have said. I think he's generally awfully slow at getting down when you have shots that are low and somewhat close to him. Hopefully it's something they've worked on.

The whole goal was a mess from Rashford's lame attempts at a tackle, right through past Bruno, Maguire, Martinez, Ugarte & Eriksen. Shit show from all involved.

Onana could be a step further out, but also that decision to step to his right and totally open the near post is boggling in that situation. Mazraoui is coming across, he has that covered, stand up and protect your near post if he smashes in near top corner or rolls it across the goal for someone else then fair play.

But he didn't, he just opened his body up and casually placed it inside the near post, if Onana just stood there he saves it.

Last edited:
I don't why some people here say it's ok that Onana's tried to cover a far post pass situation.
How many times have we seen any keeper stopping a shot into nearly an open net?

If he can't save that near post goal then what were the chances of saving a hypothetical shot by the second striker at the far post?

He's just pretty bad at positioning in general. Good reflexes, great at commanding his box, excellent with the ball at his feet, but pretty shit positioning wise especially in those 1v1 type scenarios compared to other top keepers.

Run out and close the angles. If he passes it across to the teammate for a tap in, fair enough, there is nothing you can do in that situation but do not stand on the line and give him the entire goal to hit. Rush him into a decision as fast as possible.

FYI his cousin Fabrice Ondoa, plays for my country's RFS in the Europa League, gifted the opponents 1 goal and could have done better with 2 more.
Their styles are so similar, also the risky footwork. Unbelievable.

Last edited:

Warning: catchy tune

That is a damning compilation. You can see his "technique" of diving over the ball many times in it, where the ball rolls under his outstretched hand. I think his main problem is slow reflexes. He can't cover up positioning mistakes because he's late. It's may be only a split second, but it always looks like he's diving/moving late. Frustrating like a striker who strays offside all the time, timing and reflexes are incredibly important.

Your sarcasm aside I think many teams see our weakness and adjust for it and risk losing possession even on a lower probability strike. Yes.
If I were a coach coming up against this United side featuring Onana in goal, I would adjust my tactics so that instead of waiting for the killer pass, I would ask players to shoot on sight. The moment the are within range, just have a pop.

I think the stats are misleading, when discussing the number of saves he made last season. The better way to look at it (although impossible) would be: how many of his saved shots would have been saved by most of the keepers in the PL? A slow trickling shot that would have rolled to a stop but for Onana picking it up will still count as a "save". Our non-existent midfield invited that shot bonanza, and so Onana faced more shots - but not more quality shots.

As we can't replay a game with an opposition keeper playing for us, you have to go with what your eyes are telling you: when it's an easy shot that most keepers would save - but Onana doesn't save it, that is more damning than some amazing shot that almost no keeper would save.

Anyone who has ever played in front of a substandard keeper knows the feeling.

If I knew he would be playing at this level I'd have kept Henderson.
Me too. Henderson is much better at the basics. He was a bit jumpy as a keeper, seemed like he was amped up on something, but as he demonstrated against us recently, he has the basics down.

The argument mooted here that Onana "gambled" on Twente goal by stepping to his right can be applied to any player on the pitch in any situation. Maguire lunging in instead of backing off and attempting to cut off the angle an attacker has with the ball? He's "gambling" on the attacker going left (or wherever). Zirkzee running blindly away from where he should be and the incoming pass goes 5 yards wide of him? He's "gambling" that the low percentage pass will find him. In Onana's case, you expect (and need) him to do the obvious thing first: cover his near post. "Gambling" that the shooter would shoot across the goal mouth instead is bad decision making and bad goalkeeping.

Last edited:
I don't why some people here say it's ok that Onana's tried to cover a far post pass situation.
How many times have we seen any keeper stopping a shot into nearly an open net?

If he can't save that near post goal then what were the chances of saving a hypothetical shot by the second striker at the far post?
Because the player shapes as if he's going for the far post? It's a well disguised finish.
I think Onana could've done better but the reaction in this thread is (yet again) over the top.

Atrocious on the goal. Should never be beaten on near post.

The way many of our players have fanboys defending them at all times, you'd think we had a championship winning squad. Lest we forget, this is the guy who got benched on his national team for a 3rd division goalkeeper in the AFCON