2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
That shot had an xGOT of 0.7. So it goes in 70% of the time. And he outperformed his xGOT in total. Again.

But apparently he had a bad game. And I wondered earlier why I’d muted this thread.

Another one of those that wasn't his fault, but looked kind of odd. He's been good recently, thogh.
Exactly right... It's like I didn't expect him to save it but I expected him to do better, can't explain it. Two far posts as another poster commented is perfect.

He's fundamentally a mediocre goalkeeper. He has largely cut out howlers but his shot stopping isn't impressive and it feels like he concedes goals because his basics are wrong. In a good team or one that dominates the game you can get away with a keeper like Onana but I'm struggling to see him being a net positive in a team like ours.

I don't think he's as good as Ederson but I think he's similar in that goalkeeping isn't his main strength, which seems crazy....as a goalkeeper.

Exactly right... It's like I didn't expect him to save it but I expected him to do better, can't explain it. Two far posts as another poster commented is perfect.
I said in another thread, I’ve never known a keeper make so many things just look wrong to the eye. You look at the top shot stoppers and they always seem to be in the right place. Onana is like the opposite of that.

I don't blame him for that goal. I'd lay the blame at the 5 players that fell over to let that player through.
Yeah, sort of this. I think he gambled with the ball across the face or the attacker trying to hit the other corner and comes short at his near post. That being said, should never have been beaten there near post though.

I think on the goal he has to be aware of the potential for the player who scored to square it and positioned himself to also cover that possibility. I still expect better of a Goalkeeper at the near post though.

How can be blamed for their goal? Strange posts. It’s like our fans want him to fail, so they’re actively searching for ways to blame him for everything. I question their football knowledge.

I think he manages to convince you even shots he can't do much about - he wouldn't have saved them anyway.

How can be blamed for their goal? Strange posts. It’s like our fans want him to fail, so they’re actively searching for ways to blame him for everything. I question their football knowledge.

The whole goal was a comedy of errors. But as keeper, you simply should not get beat on your near post with a left footed finish like that from that side. Just look at the gap he left him to hit.

Goal wasn't his fault but again he looked nowhere near. He looks really odd when facing one on one's. He's absolutely poor on down shots but also gambles a lot on his post. He made it way easier for Tweente's striker.

He's obviously not to blame for the fact it's a one on one, but that doesn't mean it's not poor positioning on Onana's part. You need to cover your near post in those situations. All you're doing is making it that much more likely they score.

Last edited:
He was shocking for their goal. His positioning is just pathetic for a supposed top class keeper

Shit positioning, has two far posts... EVERY other keeper covers the near post and forces the shot across them and buys themselves that extra split second... Not this clown, he let's them put it where they want.

Shit positioning, has two far posts... EVERY other keeper covers the near post and forces the shot across them and buys themselves that extra split second... Not this clown, he let's them put it where they want.
Exactly. You can save a powerful shot coming across your body from one side to the other. A power full shot in at the near post is much more difficult.

I've been quite critical of him but, despite his unusual positioning for their equaliser, I reckon they're scoring either way from that situation. Yes, he took a gamble but he kind of had to after his teammates let him down in the build up.

Blaming him for the goal seems a bit harsh.
He's not to blame for it but definitely played his part. The near post should have been his priority and he deserted that. He's just not a natural keeper.

Another one of those that wasn't his fault, but looked kind of odd. He's been good recently, thogh.
Exactly this.
He was very good against palace and then last night, that goal, I just feel a better keeper saves it relatively comfortably. His positioning was all wrong and it just looked too easy to score.
This is what we will get from him, I’ve resigned myself to it.

I think he had a fine game, but he should have done better for the goal.. That others are more to blame doesnt change that.. It just happends too often.

I don't blame him for that goal. I'd lay the blame at the 5 players that fell over to let that player through.

Several players fecked up, including Onana. It's fine that he's put in a shit situation thanks to awful defending, but you still want him to cover the near post and force the shot across him rather than gambling that he's going across him and leaving your near post wide open. Most likely they'll score either way, but you're not exactly helping when you leave your post wide open

If so, his positioning is perfect. The whole point is to make the likelihood of scoring at each post exactly the same.
I am sorry, but this is just so wrong.. From now on I dont think anyone will take you serious when talking about goalkeeping, becaurse its clear you dont know anything about being a goalkeeper