View full 2024-25 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Only needed to save the one

Yeah think that day City hadn't scored away from home since Christmas or something, up stepped Vassell and VDS kept it that way.

And Schmeichel only ever saved 1. The most important penalty he ever faced for Utd.

It took De Gea something like 11 years to reach 2 penatly saves for. Onana already accomplished that in his 2nd season with us. Great character this lad.

It took De Gea something like 11 years to reach 2 penatly saves for. Onana already accomplished that in his 2nd season with us. Great character this lad.
Didn’t someone also miss the target against Onana from the spot?

He’s quietly become an absolute safe pair of hands. I haven’t worried or questioned him in about two years.

I'm the opposite. He has cut out the glaring mistakes that single handedly knocked us out the champions league since the second half of last season however he still remains a generally poor shot saver. Its going to take a full season of him not dropping clangers or having silly positioning like for the third goal vs liverpool for me to think he is a true United no 1.

I'm the opposite. He has cut out the glaring mistakes that single handedly knocked us out the champions league since the second half of last season however he still remains a generally poor shot saver. Its going to take a full season of him not dropping clangers or having silly positioning like for the third goal vs liverpool for me to think he is a true United no 1.
Problem is if you think that third goal agaisnt Liverpool is a mistake or poor positioning you’ll be waiting many many years for a keeper who will live up to expectations. I don’t think Onana is in the very upper echelon of shot stopping, but he’s miles better than made out on this forum. But that third goal is a fantastic finish right in the corner than goes in 95% of the time. Very few keepers get anywhere near that effort and it’s not really poor positioning, more so a great strike hit incredibly early. The problem for Onana has been that his tough start has put him under increasing scrutiny and now some just can’t trust him despite playing well for up to a year solid now.

Problem is if you think that third goal agaisnt Liverpool is a mistake or poor positioning you’ll be waiting many many years for a keeper who will live up to expectations. I don’t think Onana is in the very upper echelon of shot stopping, but he’s miles better than made out on this forum. But that third goal is a fantastic finish right in the corner than goes in 95% of the time. Very few keepers get anywhere near that effort and it’s not really poor positioning, more so a great strike hit incredibly early. The problem for Onana has been that his tough start has put him under increasing scrutiny and now some just can’t trust him despite playing well for up to a year solid now.

He is better than his champions league showings for sure, however, its not a stretch to say his positioning and shot stopping is/has been dodgy whilst at United. Even during his solid half a year there have been various occasions where you think he could do better. Atm he isn't a big problem and we will see if he can develop into a commanding keeper. Today was a good showing from him, lets see if he keeps it up.

Credit where he's due, that penalty save probably won us the game today. Also had a lovely reverse short pass at one point to beat the high press.

Single handedly is unfair, yes he was poor in the CL but he saved a penalty and our lacklustre forwards who couldn’t put the other games to bed also played their part in our exit.

Single handedly is unfair, yes he was poor in the CL but he saved a penalty and our lacklustre forwards who couldn’t put the other games to bed also played their part in our exit.

These claims that he single handedly knocked us out of the Champions League last season are complete nonsence in honesty, his penalty save kept us in it longer than we should have been.

While the penalty was poor and he didn’t have much to do, I think credit goes to him for providing the turning point of the game. He showed the big character energy we need from at least one of our players every game. May he continue to provide those moments as this team is begging for leaders to stand out.

Hasn't he been pretty good this year? I know there has been a few errant passes, particularly in the Liverpool game, but I can't think of a single goal that's been his fault so far. Isn't that fair?

That penalty save was huge and looked class. I really hope it all goes well for him this season.

Hasn't he been pretty good this year? I know there has been a few errant passes, particularly in the Liverpool game, but I can't think of a single goal that's been his fault so far. Isn't that fair?

People look to blame him whenever we concede, it’s strange.

I just don't want to see any howlers like last season.

The odd goal conceded where we think "maybe it is saveable but it's not really a mistake" I'm willing to accept. People on here are incredibly harsh they seem to think he should be saving every goal we concede.

I'm happy with the start he's made. He's not dropped any clangers and he's not let any slipped through his fingers. But then again I'm judging him on low expectations based on last year.

Great penalty save yesterday. God knows how the game would have gone otherwise, Erik may have been out of a job now! Made a very good save before that too.

I'm still not convinced he's a good shot stopper and he will continue to let in softish looking goals that a world class keeper would be expected to save.

But a bigger problem imo is allowing opponents 20+ shots against him every game which we hopefully seem to be rectifying!

People look to blame him whenever we concede, it’s strange.
This is the part which I don't get. It's like some have already made up their minds about him and consistently seek for how to blame him for every goal conceded. One thing is sure, it's easy to see what any gk could have done better for practically every goal he concedes. While I admit that some mistakes are more glaring than others, I'm sure most would agree that after his difficult first six months, he has been quite solid and fully-deserving of his place. Okay, his shot-stopping isn't prime DDG but he's absolutely not worse than Ederson, for example, and considering the amount of shots he was regularly conceding throughout last season, it requires elite levels of concentration to pull off save after save and you're bound to end up with a few saveable ones going in. I still think with a stable defence in front of him, he is the least of our worries.

Good penalty save that provided us the platform to win the game which was great, and I think De Ligt bailed him out before that with that soft-ish low curler he was just looking on.

I really like the Dibbling save as well. It was a good height, but covered the goal really well. It's nice actually having faith in a keeper to save a penalty too.

I like his self-confidence

Credit where credit's due. Changed the course of the game with that penalty save.

He’s quietly become an absolute safe pair of hands. I haven’t worried or questioned him in about two years.
I sometimes wonder if I watch the same games as everyone else. A safe pair of hands? In what way? If anything I would say he is a keeper with a safe pair of feet because I don't worry when a defender passes him the ball, but hands??? He doesn't command his box on set pieces at all, and now seems to be glued to the line on corners. Which, I guess I should admit, is an improvement on him treating every corner like its WWE and he can charge out and slam or punch people as he flails at the ball.

I sometimes wonder if I watch the same games as everyone else. A safe pair of hands? In what way? If anything I would say he is a keeper with a safe pair of feet because I don't worry when a defender passes him the ball, but hands??? He doesn't command his box on set pieces at all, and now seems to be glued to the line on corners. Which, I guess I should admit, is an improvement on him treating every corner like its WWE and he can charge out and slam or punch people as he flails at the ball.
A nice bit of realism.