View full 2024-25 profile

6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
For a ball playing goalkeeper he gives the ball away more than De Gea

a) not true and b) utterly bizarre comment after yesterday’s game where his distribution was very good

One thing we hoped for with Onana is that our passing out from the back would improve. Even in yesterday’s utter shit show that was probably the only part of our game that worked well. Considering how high Spurs like to press that makes it even more impressive.

It’s what happened next that was the problem.

Really good yesterday.

Now if he stops doing that thing he does where he sprints to the edge of his box, shimmys left and right as if he's about to throw/kick it, then sticks his hand in the air to apologise for not doing so... we'll be talking...

a) not true and b) utterly bizarre comment after yesterday’s game where his distribution was very good

One thing we hoped for with Onana is that our passing out from the back would improve. Even in yesterday’s utter shit show that was probably the only part of our game that worked well. Considering how high Spurs like to press that makes it even more impressive.

It’s what happened next that was the problem.
I can only go on what a saw, I thought he give the ball away a lot of times I can't remember spurs keeper giving away the ball. I'll not be watching it again to find out.

Yesterday he was solid, but I can't stop looking at that second goal and thinking that a top keeper saves that. Still, this season he's probably been our best performer overall so can't complain too much

I can only go on what a saw, I thought he give the ball away a lot of times I can't remember spurs keeper giving away the ball. I'll not be watching it again to find out.
Not the easiest game to look at really as we were down to 10 men for half the game.
Onana completed 7/17 from long balls (which doesn't really differentiate between the different types) and Vicario 2/4. Percentage wise quite similar but Onana had a much higher volume. That volume could be caused by several factors though, even with 11 there are a lot of times on games where we just don't give him decent options.

Whether or not De Gea's pass percentage numbers were ever similar or better really ignores his major passing flaw. His pass selection and execution for short to mid range passes was not good and he would quite often give the opposition good chances through his passing. You don't really see that much with Onana.

Onana’s been top class this season, one of the very few bright spots so far. Looks solid now, very few mistakes, some unbelievable saves and very good distribution. Even nearly had an assist on Sunday don’t forget. You can’t ask for more from any keeper and fingers crossed he’s keeps this form.

Our best player so far this season by a margin

I agree Onana has been our best player this season, which may not be saying much but it’s saying something, but Statman Dave is hardly an impartial source of opinion when it comes to Obama.

I’ve pasted his videos at least three times I recall, the last being a few weeks ago, where Statman Dave jizzed himself over Onana, arguing that he would “transform” — yes, he used that word — our style of play and chance creation.

That this has not been the case should be of no surprise, as no keeper can ever transform the performance level of the ten outfield players. Onana had a rough start at OT but is performing at a very high level now, but our play is atrocious, and chance conversion is abysmal.

He was very good tonight once more in game where even his own defenders were trying to score against him. A bit unlucky with the Mazraoui save, and then made a crucial stop to keep it at 3-2. Distribution was excellent too.

Onana is the only player that can hold his head up high this season. And the sad thing is he's not even doing anything special.

I've been harsh on him since joining but I felt for him tonight. Constantly let down by the defence. Had a good game.

Onana is the only player that can hold his head up high this season. And the sad thing is he's not even doing anything special.

Don’t agree, some of his passes tonight were outrageous, one of them led to the corner that Maguire scored from.

Genuinely might be our best passer in the team which is sad.

Starting to look like a top keeper. He's saved us from at least 4 more goals in the last 2 games and we've still conceded 6 in them. Very alarming stat.

He is finally starting to show off a bit of that passing ability everyone spoke about, played some passes that your Carricks, Pirlos, Alonso’s would be proud of.

This guy has taken some awful flak since he arrived (some deserved), but he’s been motm the last 3 games?
Possibly best player this season?
He has character for sure!
Make him captain!
He can be captain chaos!

MotM performance despite conceding 3. Good distribution tonight, hisnlong passing was very decent

Two motm performances in a row. Still not massively confident in him but credit where it's due.

Received a lot of flack since arriving but really was excellent last night.

And long may it continue if we're going to stay up!!

Not shocked he’s finally getting some recognition. He’s been unfairly treated by so many Utd fans who wanted to write him off immediately without any time to settle in. Hes clearly a good keeper who just had a very shaky start.

I have misgivings about the chap but he's been very good this season and he's saved a shitload of 1v1s in the last couple of games.

We've coneded 3 goals a peice in our last 2 games and I can safely say he wasn't slightly at fault or did anything wrong for a single one of them.

This. Is. Progress!

Maybe it's just me, but i didn't see this outstanding performance everyone else did.

He saved what I would expect any half decent keeper to save (let alone one who cost £50m) and didn't drop any howlers, but he still looks suspect.

The save from Mazraoui's header for instance... he did this strange jump, which made it even harder to save the rebound (I'm not saying he should have saved it, but it reduced his chances of doing so further). There was also the one on one save from Moura, which went just past the near post... that on another day could have squirmed in.

I think he's just looking good compared to the shambles in front of him. If/when that's sorted out, he'll be an issue again.

Maybe it's just me, but i didn't see this outstanding performance everyone else did.

He saved what I would expect any half decent keeper to save (let alone one who cost £50m) and didn't drop any howlers, but he still looks suspect.

The save from Mazraoui's header for instance... he did this strange jump, which made it even harder to save the rebound (I'm not saying he should have saved it, but it reduced his chances of doing so further). There was also the one on one save from Moura, which went just past the near post... that on another day could have squirmed in.

I think he's just looking good compared to the shambles in front of him. If/when that's sorted out, he'll be an issue again.
You're just looking for issues where there aren't any to justify a preconceived opinion formed based on his settling-in period.

I felt the same way on the Mazraoui header, that his jump and flap were strange and dramatic.

But beyond that he was really good I thought. It’s harsh to complain about the way he saves a one-on-on; he just needs to save it. And his distribution was fantastic. The ping to Højlund for the knockdown to Eriksen for the second goal was really good.

You're just looking for issues where there aren't any to justify a preconceived opinion formed based on his settling-in period.

Or he just isn't a top drawer keeper. I know which side I'd go with having seen his strange positioning during this period when he's being playing OK.

I admit, im putting more scrutiny on these small things than if he'd been playing consistently well since his arrival but that's because i'm now looking for clues as to whether this improvement is sustainable - I can't brush them off as exceptions rather than traits of his.

I felt the same way on the Mazraoui header, that his jump and flap were strange and dramatic.

But beyond that he was really good I thought. It’s harsh to complain about the way he saves a one-on-on; he just needs to save it. And his distribution was fantastic. The ping to Højlund for the knockdown to Eriksen for the second goal was really good.

I agree - I'm not complaining about his performance last night, he wasnt the issue and ultimately he saved the one on one, which is what you ask for.

But, all this praise is a classic case where a decent performance is now deemed excellent due to the low base he's coming off.