2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
There is almost 100% agreement on here that he is poor. Very poor. At goalkeeping.

Why aren't the pundits slamming him ? Is it because as was said above, there were not howlers they were just very poor and it isn't interesting enough to talk about ?

There is almost 100% agreement on here that he is poor. Very poor. At goalkeeping.

Why aren't the pundits slamming him ? Is it because as was said above, there were not howlers they were just very poor and it isn't interesting enough to talk about ?
Even here people keep defending him with many not considering him a problem. Or at least that was the case last season where he had a run of not being terrible.

He’s clearly just an average keeper. But he’ll one of those streaky players who do enough to keep their spot but obviously aren’t at the level required.

Yeah unfortunately to many he's a symbol of Ten Hag, and therefore gets blame for things out of his control.

He was middling today,
should have been better positioned for Liverpool's third but no keeper is going to have a good game when we're serving up overloads on a silver platter all match.
What has he done so far to prove that he’s not a middling keeper in general? His goalkeeping qualities are sub par and his distribution is nothing to write home about.

People are so afraid of replacing their keeper as if it’s some sacred position you need hang on to the player for. Imo we should start looking for his replacement already.

What has he done so far to prove that he’s not a middling keeper in general? His goalkeeping qualities are sub par and his distribution is nothing to write home about.

People are so afraid of replacing their keeper as if it’s some sacred position you need hang on to the player for. Imo we should start looking for his replacement already.

I generally agree with you, he's not been great while he's been here so far, at minimum we could do with some better competition for him, but I wouldn't be sad to see him replaced.

The issue with that is that him being middling makes him a better performer for us than several key names who are consistently awful, which makes his replacement a lower priority.

I've seen enough. He's a terrible goalkeeper. Any shot on target has a good chance if going in.

His ability on the ball, touted as his strength, isn't anything high level either. Every game, he'd have at least one aimless long punt that goes nowhere.

When he was brought it, he was supposed to be this game changer. Someone who'd change the way we play out the back. Well, we're still losing games, and still not having control of matches. We traded a goalkeeper for an outfielder playing goalkeeper and it's gotten us nowhere.

We shouldn't just be looking, we need to bring in someone ASAP. Honestly Kelleher on loan would be an instant upgrade.

Worst goalkeeper in the league, can't save a shot, not even that elite with playing out from the back.

Should be replaced in the summer.

Again is Bayinidr that bad that he can’t get a start over this clown.

We should’ve just kept Kovar.

This is not a reaction from the livepool game, but Onana does not seem to be convincing enough to me. He does not seem to be an elite shot stopper & I think its mainly due to his poor positioning in his goal. I think his reflexes are fine, but due to his poor positional awareness, he is not always at the right place to make full use of his reflexes. Another thing about him that grates me most, is when he has the ball in his hands & there is a good counter attack opportunity, with opposition players out of their positions, but it always gets wasted due to him not releasing the ball quickly to a player making the run forward. He will take forever to decide what to do with it, before he finally decides to release it to a center back. This happens so many times during every game.. Good goalkeeper throw the ball quickly for a counter attack opportunity. Even De Gea used to do it once a while.

I hope Onana improves himself quickly, or we have to get a better keeper in.

We've had some good young keepers on the books but no one else even gets a look in.Yet another average player who will be hard to shift in future.

This guy is actually poor. Including in possession in the build up.

He just doesn’t exude any kind of confidence that he has it under control.

Any half decent shot has a chance of going in

His shot stopping skills are one of the worst I’ve ever seen.
Comparing it to Dave is night and day.

What annoys me the most about Onana is he seems to have such a high opinion of himself. I mean, confidence is great and all but his is bordering on Delusional.
If he was half as good as he thinks he is, that would still be twice as good as he actually is.

You could forgive his short comings in shot stopping if he was amazing with distribution but he is not even any good at that. Literally no improvement on De Gea in any area.

I thought his attempt at the second goal was questionable but also thought it was a great finish from Diaz that could have been prevented before the shot came in.
However for the third, you knew it was immediately going to be a goal just because where he was stood. It looked poor but to get beaten so easily there is horrible. And it happens way to often.

Whereabouts in the goal do you think he is?

He's in the centre of the goal (ever so slightly to the left) which is absolutely horrible positioning for facing a shot from his left hand side.

Here's a better picture for fairness.

Screenshot-2024-09-02-091549.png

Last edited:
There’s no point in having a ball playing keeper when he is so bad in shot stopping. He is also not very good with ball playing

Nobody will convince me that he's actually a keeper. He looks like an outfield player that wasn't good enough so just got dumped in goal.

I remember seeing videos of Rooney going in goal in training and I don't think he'd look that different to Onana.

Bang average is being polite. I don’t know what his strengths are? I was under the assumption he was this amazing ball playing goalkeeper?

Bang average is being polite. I don’t know what his strengths are? I was under the assumption he was this amazing ball playing goalkeeper?
His strength was meant to be playing out from the back, but I don't think he's that good at that because his passing can be mixed.

His only strength is that he's calm when getting the ball.

Another player I'm sure the next manager won't fancy. He dreadful at his actual job of keeping the ball out.

His strength was meant to be playing out from the back, but I don't think he's that good at that because his passing can be mixed.

His only strength is that he's calm when getting the ball.

Agreed - he is genuinely excellent when the ball is at his feet. As in control, moving it around between his feet in possession... but anything after that ranges from OK to Abysmal

He's in the centre of the goal (ever so slightly to the left) which is absolutely horrible positioning for facing a shot from his left hand side.

I'll be honest - not a huge fan of Onana, but looking at single images without context is a harsh way to evaluate any player. He was covering from a shot from the other side of the pitch about a second before and had to transition rapidly over to the other side of the goal. It was a tough situation for even the best shot stoppers.

I'll be honest - not a huge fan of Onana, but looking at single images without context is a harsh way to evaluate any player. He was covering from a shot from the other side of the pitch about a second before and had to transition rapidly over to the other side of the goal. It was a tough situation for even the best shot stoppers.

Which he did terribly - there is a reason you rarely see goalkeepers in this position for a chance like that, because most goalkeepers are much much better in adjusting themselves/ moving across their goal to deal with different chances.

If you watch it back, he reacts a split-second late to the pass going across, and then barely moves his feet as a result - its really really poor.

Having seen him play for Ajax, I was never convinced that he was a top goalkeeper. One good season in CL made us pay huge money for his services but I was not convinced and I think we need to dump him and go for a better one.

"Absolutely horrible" is just hyperbole and ignores the actual passage of play. He could've taken an extra step over but you seem him set himself to dive instead. Could do better but it's not anywhere near as bad as is being made out.

This thread has just picked up where last season's left off, we concede goals and people use it to slate the keeper.

"Absolutely horrible" is just hyperbole and ignores the actual passage of play. He could've taken an extra step over but you seem him set himself to dive instead. Could do better but it's not anywhere near as bad as is being made out.

This thread has just picked up where last season's left off, we concede goals and people use it to slate the keeper.

It is absolutely horrible positioning though? Even if we're to say Onana is totally blameless for not getting across (say he had just save a shot and was getting up or something) being in that position for a shot from your left IS horrible because you're leaving your whole near post exposed.

Again, there is a reason why you don't often see keepers in that position for shots like that.

I've never been convinced by him...... Until now.

He's such a bad keeper. His positioning for the 3rd goal especially is just awful.

Everyone keeps pointing out his "playing out the back" abilities, which are OK, but everything else is so abysmal it ain't funny anymore.

When you select a keeper for his ball playing ability you usually try and find one that is also good at the rest of the stuff. So far this guy is just a waste of money.

I don't understand his positioning for the third goal. The entire piece of play from Liverpool moves from the right wing, sweeping across the pitch. Surely, he should be moving across in accordance with the play, but just roots himself to the spot? Like everyone could see the ball was eventually going to end up around the area Salah receives it in. I can't understand why he wasn't at least more central.

It is absolutely horrible positioning though? Even if we're to say Onana is totally blameless for not getting across (say he had just save a shot and was getting up or something) being in that position for a shot from your left IS horrible because you're leaving your whole near post exposed.

Again, there is a reason why you don't often see keepers in that position for shots like that.
Watch the passage of the play, we had the ball and suddenly lost it deep, Onana was backing away to his goal line while Szobzlai was running into the center unopposed and could have made a shot but he passed to his right and you would see Onana trying to readjust and Salah hits it first time quickly, no GK saves it to be fair unless the GK guessed Szobzlai would pass rather than shoot.