2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Meh. He's just average. Easily nowhere near good enough reflexes as De Gea and that is easily reflected in how he reacts to shots at goals. Better than him in the air to collect/punch aerial crosses, way better than him in his calmness on the ball, only marginally better in his long range passing.

All in all, just a marginal improvement over De Gea but we could have spent 20m and got a similar ability GK in my view.

Yeah think so too, Onana will probably be one of the first players a new manger will look to replace, and for good reason to. Shocking shot stopper too be honest, Just feels like he doesn't save anything, whenever a shot comes at him you just know it will go in. and the thing he is suppose to be good at which are his feet we aren't even utilizing properly.
Yet he had the most saves last season and one of the highest save percentages.
Whether or not we need to upgrade him, if we continue to give away the chances we do then we will continue to concede a lot of goals.

Yet he had the most saves last season and one of the highest save percentages.
Whether or not we need to upgrade him, if we continue to give away the chances we do then we will continue to concede a lot of goals.
How is he a marginal improvement if he fails to save shots. Degea kept us in a game hundreds of times with agile super saves. The points we won thanks to DDG is hard to quantify but it’s a lot. He did cost us the odd goal with sloppy passing out.
Onana is a liability as a shot stopper. His footwork with the ball is acceptable.

How is he a marginal improvement if he fails to save shots. Degea kept us in a game hundreds of times with agile super saves. The points we won thanks to DDG is hard to quantify but it’s a lot. He did cost us the odd goal with sloppy passing out.
Onana is a liability as a shot stopper. His footwork with the ball is acceptable.
He does manage to save shots though. The numbers clearly show that.

He did say he would be risking more this season. Like his place at the club.

Doesn't do the basics of goalkeeping nearly well enough to be at a club at such a high level. I don't know if its the coaching fault that even his positives aren't even beneficial to us either, because on the ball he's really made very little difference to us.

Give the Turkish guy a run in the team, he'll be an improvement.

Watched Heaton during the warm up and he looks the more comfortable goalkeeper.

Don't think the could have saved it anyway but he's "dive" to save their 2nd yesterday was ridiculous. He didn't give himself a chance in hell. Compare that to Allison's foot movement and dive to safe that shot for zirzkee from the curling attempt at edge of the box.

He does manage to save shots though. The numbers clearly show that.
It’s one of those stats that can be misleading though aint it. Teams were shooting from anywhere as they realised he’s shit and was having howlers. So a twenty yard pot shot equals shot saved. Never a real chance at scoring. Try and find more than five shots you’d think would or should be goals and Onana saves them and you’d be struggling.

I'll cut him some slack in that it can't be easy for a goalkeeper when you're constantly faced with 4 v 3, 3 v 2, or 2 v 1 scenarios like he was on Sunday, his head must be frazzled.

But that 3rd goal he conceded, I don't think I've seen a goalkeeper concede a goal like that in the PL. His positioning and footwork nearly always seems off. The amount of little bobblers he concedes down low seems ridiculously high.

It’s one of those stats that can be misleading though aint it. Teams were shooting from anywhere as they realised he’s shit and was having howlers. So a twenty yard pot shot equals shot saved. Never a real chance at scoring. Try and find more than five shots you’d think would or should be goals and Onana saves them and you’d be struggling.
Often claimed, never proven.

The difficulty of the saves wasn't the issue, the statement was that he doesn't make them.

Watched Heaton during the warm up and he looks the more comfortable goalkeeper.
I’d be comfortable on the bench as well. Do you really think that the manager who splashed out gawd knows how many millions on a shite keeper is going to play the reserve ahead of the keeper he bought?
No Eric is not going to admit fault by picking a reserve keeper ahead of one of his star signings is he? It’s coming down to arrogance and pig stubbornness now and I’m sorry but I like Eric something about him I like but he has to go, sorry Eric you’re not the worse manager we have had but you do lack a hell of a lot and it’s time to say goodbye.

A new manager has to bring in a new number 1. Priority. Start from the back. This guy can’t even save anything at his near post. We seen it yesterday against Liverpool, we also seen it in the cup against Liverpool last season when McAllister scored and other numerous of times.

A new manager has to bring in a new number 1. Priority. Start from the back. This guy can’t even save anything at his near post. We seen it yesterday against Liverpool, we also seen it in the cup against Liverpool last season when McAllister scored and other numerous of times.
No we didn't :lol:

Think you’ll find we did. His shot went to near post and yet again he didn’t save it
His deflected shot...
You then seem to have forgotten that he made about 3-4 saves at his near post during that match.

His deflected shot...
You then seem to have forgotten that he made about 3-4 saves at his near post during that match.
3/4 shots saved doesn’t compare to the amount he concedes. His position is terrible aswell. That Salah goal yesterday. The keeper was nearer to his far post :lol:

What's he doing in the middle though?

The shot is coming from 6 yards left of centre, actually 2 yards outside of his left post, he should be way further over to his left.
But the play had been on the opposite side until it was switched, he then has to move.
3/4 shots saved doesn’t compare to the amount he concedes. His position is terrible aswell. That Salah goal yesterday. The keeper was nearer to his far post :lol:
He's in the middle, the angle just tricks you.

Isn’t it obvious that when you have a sloppy keeper, even the best defenders in the world get nervous and the whole defence appears shaky. Onana is massively sloppy. I feel zero confidence when I see him in goal. Even when he saves shots, even the odd good save…his technique and positioning just doesn’t seem right to me. I would have taken DDG back in a heartbeat at any point last season and I’m shocked we didn’t address the most important position on the pitch given our NEGATIVE goal difference.

He's not on it any point during that move.
He froze during that move instead of charging out and narrowing the angle. Just like deano except that was a kid in his first year at a big club at a big occasion.

He froze during that move instead of charging out and narrowing the angle. Just like deano except that was a kid in his first year at a big club at a big occasion.
I'd love to see a breakdown of where in that attack you see the opportunity for Onana to charge out.

Isn’t it obvious that when you have a sloppy keeper, even the best defenders in the world get nervous and the whole defence appears shaky. Onana is massively sloppy. I feel zero confidence when I see him in goal. Even when he saves shots, even the odd good save…his technique and positioning just doesn’t seem right to me. I would have taken DDG back in a heartbeat at any point last season and I’m shocked we didn’t address the most important position on the pitch given our NEGATIVE goal difference.
What does any other keeper in the world change about the situations that led to the goals yesterday? We lost possession in bad positions 3 times that left us wide open at the back.
De Gea doesn't magically just save everything, same guy was in goal when they put 7 past us because if the players in front of your keeper don't perform/aren't set up properly then you will concede goals.

He shouldn't be in the middle to be fair. He should be showing less of his near side and make Salah try bend it towards the far post.
Which is fair, I thought he should've taken an extra step as well. I can see why he didn't, he chooses to set himself for the dive.
Don't think he had time to do both and Salah probably scores either way.

Absolutely sick of him now. Just another one of Eriks Eredivisie mates who’s completely out of his depth in the PL.

Barely saves anything that isn’t straight at him, doesn’t have the athleticism to get down to low shots and his famed ball playing ability is a complete myth.

As soon as Erik is fired, he will be relegated to the bench. Useless goalkeeper.

What does any other keeper in the world change about the situations that led to the goals yesterday? We lost possession in bad positions 3 times that left us wide open at the back.
De Gea doesn't magically just save everything, same guy was in goal when they put 7 past us because if the players in front of your keeper don't perform/aren't set up properly then you will concede goals.
Well that’s a exactly the job of a keeper isn’t it, to make up for the mistakes of his defenders?
He faced 3 shots on target, he let in 3 goals.
And that’s not the first time he lets in the first shot on target

Well that’s a exactly the job of a keeper isn’t it, to make up for the mistakes of his defenders?
He faced 3 shots on target, he let in 3 goals.
And that’s not the first time he lets in the first shot on target
Yes, that's exactly how goalkeeping works.

As much as i felt that the time had come moving on from De Gea, I would have rather tolerated his flaws with coming off the line and kicking a football like a beach ball than relying on Obama.

De Geas salary was an issue though, but at least he had the ability to actually win games/save points with his shot stopping ability compared to the fecking dross we see today. He’s not that much better than De Gea at coming off the line and playing the ball.

I'm sick of him, cant wait for him to leave so we can sign another keeper for us to blame.