5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
What a player. Love the way he berated Maguire. Reminds me of Schmikes keeping our defenders on their toes.

The problem with Onana's expert passing is that our forwards have such poor first touches! That Rashford touch was naff.
That passage happened twice , Rashford miscontrolled both times

Maybe, but not necessarily.

A keeper with brilliant footwork is obviously better than a keeper with poor footwork, but we caftards need to keep our expectations for this supposed “transformation” in check. The dramatic increase in productivity from a keeper with brilliant footwork is fewer dispossessions in our own third (the ball to Eriksen v Brentford…the ball to Maguire v Sevilla although that one was almost all on Maguire) not an increase in chances created and certainly not an increase in chance conversion.
It will allow the team to sustain attacks for longer periods, which is huge.

We’ve also already seen him pick out players running in behind. Something we’ve seen from other keepers in the league, but not something De Gea was capable of.

What I hold is that Onana’s undeniably brilliant footwork will not, and has not so far (though it may, thus proving me wrong) improve our finishing on goal.

We can bring in the greatest keeper of all time, whoever that may be, but responsibility for finishing chances that we created last season and will create this season will primarily lie on our front line players.

If this sounds like a ridiculous argument in one sense, that’s because it is. But poster after poster came on here claiming that yes, not just our chance creation but our actual finishing would improve after we got rid of De Gea and replaced him with Onana.

We were clean and crisp getting ball out from back to front (with a few bobbles, which is to be expected) but our end product was still mediocre, though it was a preseason match. Onana snapped at Maguire, which De Gea never did. We have a solid keeper going into the new season and I’m happy with that, but I do not expect a “transformation” in our attack.

What we need this season that we didn’t see last season was consistently impressive finishing on goal.

Although I can agree with you that it won't directly put a ball into the opponent's net, I think that having a goalkeeper like Onana can be hugely beneficial for our attacking players like Antony and Sancho.

As we gain more control of the ball and with his excellent ability to play precise ball over the top, opponents will not be so encouraged about applying a high line against us and we will move our lines higher up the pitch, which can have a great influence on Antony and Sancho games as they are more technical players who don't possess blistering pace like Rashford to exploit vacant spaces behind high lines.

A bight spot. The defense hopefully gets better this season. We need to make sure we do not get beaten against Liverpool and City like the previous seasons. Mentality seemed to be the biggest issue and Onana looks like a leader. Was good yesterday. Glad he is at United. Eth is the perfect manager for United and him.

Should be forgiven if he has some games where he gives away goals. Is expected with his style of play but he will come good. Have no doubt.

Although I can agree with you that it won't directly put a ball into the opponent's net, I think that having a goalkeeper like Onana can be hugely beneficial for our attacking players like Antony and Sancho.

As we gain more control of the ball and with his excellent ability to play precise ball over the top, opponents will not be so encouraged about applying a high line against us and we will move our lines higher up the pitch, which can have a great influence on Antony and Sancho games as they are more technical players who don't possess blistering pace like Rashford to exploit vacant spaces behind high lines.

I definitely agree that good footwork is a significant plus over poor footwork, but the significant plus is limited to opponents which press us, which means City, Liverpool, and Arsenal and hardly anyone else in the league. But we need to beat these clubs and we need to beat their presses. It might be worth recalling that we actually beat these three clubs last season at home, though not away. Two of those opponents destroyed us in the away fixture, but let’s examine those two.

City were just the better side, full stop, and had us for lunch. Onana would have made no difference. At Anfield, we were actually the better side until the 35-40th minute, when we got unlocked, but it was largely against the run of play. In the second half, not our did our midfield get overrun, our back line got mauled. And every shot Liverpool took went in, and most of those shots were unsaveable. Point is, Onana wouldn’t have saved us in that match either.

Stating the obvious, we need substantially better performances from Sancho and Antony on goal this season. Last season we had the Ronaldo, then the Martial farce, then the Weghorst abomination. We need our new CF to give us a lot more than what Martial could be bothered to give and what Wout was able to give. Only then will we see goal production improve, and not from the brilliant footwork of Onana.

Talkshite/Agbonlahor are themselves bullying maguire under the guise of sticking up for him... They know the very mention of him will bring clicks and many posts.

Basically they didn't defend him but used him.

Onana will have a go at everyone from time to time and he's very harsh on himself as well. That's just part of how he is as a player and wants everyone to do their job like you can see in the clip below when he was at Inter.

As long as it doesn’t happen every game and he’s happy to take it when he makes a mistake, but anyone having an issue with this then they might want to look at some clips of Schmeichel losing it.

Maguire looked like he was about to cry.
Compared to Bruce when Schmeichel would have a go at him, he'd eat him right back.
That early 90's team was absolutely full of strong characters. Ten Hag is building the same by the looks of it

What a player. Love the way he berated Maguire. Reminds me of Schmikes keeping our defenders on their toes.

The problem with Onana's expert passing is that our forwards have such poor first touches! That Rashford touch was naff.
They've probably never had a goalie that can pass it that accurately. Out of the forwards I'm assuming Antony is the only one used to it from his Ajax days with Onana. Everyone else has had De Gea lobbing it in the air for defenders to get their heads onto. They'll need a few games to get used to it

Maguire looked like he was about to cry.
Compared to Bruce when Schmeichel would have a go at him, he'd eat him right back.
That early 90's team was absolutely full of strong characters. Ten Hag is building the same by the looks of it

The 93-95 teams have been underappreciated. They were one of my favourite teams ever, besides the 99 team. If not for the stupid nationality rules (that included Scots, welsh) they would have wiped the floor off Barca or RM back then. Almost everyone was a leader, a tough-as-nails character.

It's the second play in this video, after about 8 seconds.

Not sure if Onana is having a go at Maguire for not passing it back to him when things got tight in there, or if it was because of how Maguire backed off and pointed for Scott to come win the ball back instead of racing back to help out himself. At first I thought it was the former but watching it again I think it might be the latter.

Watching it back makes me wonder if Scott actually should have come got it though instead of backing off himself, but it's a tough one.

It was the second rushed pass to Eriksen I think. On replay it looks as if he wasn’t anticipating Eriksen to return the ball to him, couldn’t even sort his feet out when the ball went back to him. Eriksen could’ve passed to Dalot instead, or try to turn and draw the foul (or spread the ball to the left) as Dortmund was pushing up and pressing. Maguire, on the return pass, could’ve gone back to Onana but it seems he was caught flat-footed by Eriksen’s return pass.

Or it could be because Maguire was jogging back after the turnover to Dortmund. Should have been busting a gut.

Overall, very poor play all around.

Welcome to the world of modern goalkeeping. You are about 5 to 10 years late to the party, but I am glad you finally made it. ;)

I definitely agree that good footwork is a significant plus over poor footwork, but the significant plus is limited to opponents which press us, which means City, Liverpool, and Arsenal and hardly anyone else in the league. But we need to beat these clubs and we need to beat their presses. It might be worth recalling that we actually beat these three clubs last season at home, though not away. Two of those opponents destroyed us in the away fixture, but let’s examine those two.

City were just the better side, full stop, and had us for lunch. Onana would have made no difference. At Anfield, we were actually the better side until the 35-40th minute, when we got unlocked, but it was largely against the run of play. In the second half, not our did our midfield get overrun, our back line got mauled. And every shot Liverpool took went in, and most of those shots were unsaveable. Point is, Onana wouldn’t have saved us in that match either.

Stating the obvious, we need substantially better performances from Sancho and Antony on goal this season. Last season we had the Ronaldo, then the Martial farce, then the Weghorst abomination. We need our new CF to give us a lot more than what Martial could be bothered to give and what Wout was able to give. Only then will we see goal production improve, and not from the brilliant footwork of Onana.

I wouldn't say there were a limited number of teams that took advantage of us not having an extra man in the build up with DDG between the sticks, just remember how we looked against Brentford or Brighton for example, who were not considered as top "elite" teams.

As for Sancho and Antony, I truly believe having a ball playing goalkeeper and maintaining control through possession of the ball will help them reach their potential - lack of pace wouldn't be much exploited and their ball retention, trickery, vision and combination play will be more consistent and meaningful if it is done deeper in opposition half.

I see this season as a decisive one for Sancho, I kept my patience with him, but now we have a goalkeeper who will help us to have more structured attacks and if he is gonna make it here it should be this season.

I am amazed how much 1 incident which I wouldnt even think twice about is getting coverage here and media.

I wouldn't say there were a limited number of teams that took advantage of us not having an extra man in the build up with DDG between the sticks, just remember how we looked against Brentford or Brighton for example, who were not considered as top "elite" teams.

As for Sancho and Antony, I truly believe having a ball playing goalkeeper and maintaining control through possession of the ball will help them reach their potential - lack of pace wouldn't be much exploited and their ball retention, trickery, vision and combination play will be more consistent and meaningful if it is done deeper in opposition half.

I see this season as a decisive one for Sancho, I kept my patience with him, but now we have a goalkeeper who will help us to have more structured attacks and if he is gonna make it here it should be this season.

The entire starting XI was a shambles v Brighton and Brentford. Even Martinez got flogged by the pundits and caftards for not being up to the demands of the PL. So it's a bit of a stretch to lay the disaster of those two matches all on De Gea, although there's no doubt that the ball he played to Eriksen was horrifying. Truth is, however, the back line wasn't yet there on implementing ETH's tactics. And our front line was just poor...poor all season in fact.

On top of that, our starting defenders, to whom De Gea provided most of his passes, had what is widely regarded as great seasons. Shaw, brilliant. Martinez, brilliant. Varance, a hair short of brilliant. AWB, poor in the first half and quite decent in the second half. Dalot, brilliant in the first half, but poor in the second half. Maguire, shambolic. Lindelof, decent. Malacia, not bad at all. Our midfielders? Casemiro, brilliant until the suspensions, but only decent after the suspensions. Bruno, erratic but brilliant overall. Eriksen, brilliant until the injury. Fred, decent at best. McTominay and VDB...the less said the better. The front line? We know that story.

The hope is that a keeper with better footwork will somehow unlock Antony and Sancho, but it's again a bit of a stretch to blame De Gea for Antony's overreliance on his left foot and Sancho's tentativeness (refusal?) to take on defenders 1v1 and that better route one balls by Onana will unlock Antony and Sancho. But what I do expect is that Antony underperforms again this season that ETH will have him on a short leash and go with Sancho on the right, and if he fails as well, he'll go with Pellistri. And on the left, we'll probably see more of Garnacho, who is eager to go left or right and is eager to skin the defender.

Last point on De Gea and then it's best to put him in the rear view mirror now that we've gotten rid of him. If we're going to blame De Gea for the poor performances of Antony and Sancho last then, if this is going to be an honest discussion, we have to credit De Gea with Rashford's brilliant season. But it would be madness to credit De Gea for Rashford's brillant season. I hold the view that Antony, Sancho and Rashford -- basically, every footballer -- are responsible for their own performances. Sure, on any given day we can blame another player for the performances of a player...but over the course of a season each player is accountable for their performance over the course of that season.

Not sure what the big deal is.
Also slightly amusing that people are overjoyed at Onana’s shouting but when Bruno does it I read crap such as he should calm down, he shouldn’t discourage teammates by complaining or shouting at them, etc.
They are all grown up men and as long as they can also take being shouted at them when they themselves make mistakes, then all good.

The entire starting XI was a shambles v Brighton and Brentford. Even Martinez got flogged by the pundits and caftards for not being up to the demands of the PL. So it's a bit of a stretch to lay the disaster of those two matches all on De Gea, although there's no doubt that the ball he played to Eriksen was horrifying. Truth is, however, the back line wasn't yet there on implementing ETH's tactics. And our front line was just poor...poor all season in fact.

On top of that, our starting defenders, to whom De Gea provided most of his passes, had what is widely regarded as great seasons. Shaw, brilliant. Martinez, brilliant. Varance, a hair short of brilliant. AWB, poor in the first half and quite decent in the second half. Dalot, brilliant in the first half, but poor in the second half. Maguire, shambolic. Lindelof, decent. Malacia, not bad at all. Our midfielders? Casemiro, brilliant until the suspensions, but only decent after the suspensions. Bruno, erratic but brilliant overall. Eriksen, brilliant until the injury. Fred, decent at best. McTominay and VDB...the less said the better. The front line? We know that story.

The hope is that a keeper with better footwork will somehow unlock Antony and Sancho, but it's again a bit of a stretch to blame De Gea for Antony's overreliance on his left foot and Sancho's tentativeness (refusal?) to take on defenders 1v1 and that better route one balls by Onana will unlock Antony and Sancho. But what I do expect is that Antony underperforms again this season that ETH will have him on a short leash and go with Sancho on the right, and if he fails as well, he'll go with Pellistri. And on the left, we'll probably see more of Garnacho, who is eager to go left or right and is eager to skin the defender.

Last point on De Gea and then it's best to put him in the rear view mirror now that we've gotten rid of him. If we're going to blame De Gea for the poor performances of Antony and Sancho last then, if this is going to be an honest discussion, we have to credit De Gea with Rashford's brilliant season. But it would be madness to credit De Gea for Rashford's brillant season. I hold the view that Antony, Sancho and Rashford -- basically, every footballer -- are responsible for their own performances. Sure, on any given day we can blame another player for the performances of a player...but over the course of a season each player is accountable for their performance over the course of that season.

Hold on for a minute, sorry but I think we misunderstood each other - I never ever said that I blame DDG for any other player's poor performances.

I just stated that having more control of the ball, in which having Onana helps to a certain degree, should lead to more structured attacks and moving the average height of the lines closer to the opponent's goal and that can help some players to raise their performances given their style, f.e. Sancho.

At the end of the day, yes, players are responsible for their individual efforts but if some players are having a hard time more often than not and others are flourishing there is a reason for that in the system of how your team is playing.

Ps. Mention of Brentford and Brighton matches wasn't purely result related, Brighton pressed us high in other matches we faced them no matter the final outcome for them.

Hold on for a minute, sorry but I think we misunderstood each other - I never ever said that I blame DDG for any other player's poor performances.

I just stated that having more control of the ball, in which having Onana helps to a certain degree, should lead to more structured attacks and moving the average height of the lines closer to the opponent's goal and that can help some players to raise their performances given their style, f.e. Sancho.

At the end of the day, yes, players are responsible for their individual efforts but if some players are having a hard time more often than not and others are flourishing there is a reason for that in the system of how your team is playing.

Ps. Mention of Brentford and Brighton matches wasn't purely result related, Brighton pressed us high in other matches we faced them no matter the final outcome for them.

Agreed, you don't blame De Gea for the poor seasons Sancho and Antony had, but there are more than a few posters here who connected those dots. The last two weeks when De Gea was still under contract, the De Gea player performance was pretty shocking, almost as though bin Laden had finally been found in his cave

But I'm not even sure I can agree with the assertion that more accurate passing by a keeper necessarily leads to more structured attacks. Shaw, Martinez and Varane actually moved the ball through the first line quite well and we actually did create quite a few chances -- I can't be bothered to find it now but Bruno was the PL's leading chance creator (however that is actually ascertained). Where it all fell apart for us last season was in chance conversion, and there is no theory of goalkeeping that can connect the quality of a keeper's passing out of the back to the rate of chance conversion.

In the end, I have zero expectation that Onana's footwork will have any impact on chance creation or chance conversion. But what I do expect is that he will have better command of the box and that he will make virtually zero bad mistakes such as the shot from Benrahma that De Gea could not but should have saved. Onana won't make the brilliant saves Dave made, but he'll do what's expected of him, which is what our back line badly needs. But as far as moving the ball through the lines, creating chances and converting chances...it would be best if we manage our own expectations of what a keeper can deliver.

Agreed, you don't blame De Gea for the poor seasons Sancho and Antony had, but there are more than a few posters here who connected those dots. The last two weeks when De Gea was still under contract, the De Gea player performance was pretty shocking, almost as though bin Laden had finally been found in his cave

But I'm not even sure I can agree with the assertion that more accurate passing by a keeper necessarily leads to more structured attacks. Shaw, Martinez and Varane actually moved the ball through the first line quite well and we actually did create quite a few chances -- I can't be bothered to find it now but Bruno was the PL's leading chance creator (however that is actually ascertained). Where it all fell apart for us last season was in chance conversion, and there is no theory of goalkeeping that can connect the quality of a keeper's passing out of the back to the rate of chance conversion.

In the end, I have zero expectation that Onana's footwork will have any impact on chance creation or chance conversion. But what I do expect is that he will have better command of the box and that he will make virtually zero bad mistakes such as the shot from Benrahma that De Gea could not but should have saved. Onana won't make the brilliant saves Dave made, but he'll do what's expected of him, which is what our back line badly needs. But as far as moving the ball through the lines, creating chances and converting chances...it would be best if we manage our own expectations of what a keeper can deliver.

Yes, that's true but also with DDG inability to participate in the build up phase and constantly hoofing the ball up the pitch leaving attackers to battle for those 50-50 balls isn't something that any player from the offensive line would appreciate.

Although I agree 100% that chance creation wasn't a problem last season but finishing, I just have a feeling that the source of those chances isn't something you wanna see from a top side and that we should look for something that is more consistent in order to reach the level we are aiming to. We heavily relied on fast breaks and Bruno-Rashford connection and I can see having a more possession based system, in which goalkeeper is crucial, can lead to not better chance creation but creating chances of better quality consistently and from a variety of different sources on the field.

It's not just the goalkeeper of course, but with adding players like Mount and possibly Amrabat to already a very good group of players we could really start to build something possession based, and Hojlund as a new #9, despite not having flashy numbers at Atalanta, could really capitalise on that. By saying that, this also does not exclude fast transitions as extra but not primary source of our chance creation.

I agree with you that having a goalkeeper like Onana can't improve your chance conversion, but it can help in attacking play by building something that at the other end of the pitch will result in a high quality chance. Thank you for this nice football related conversation, something that's rare to find these days.

Ps. You are right about Onana and his commanding qualities, it's better safe than sorry in terms of prevention of conceded chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.