g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Andre Onana image 24

Andre Onana Cameroon flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

dabronxolivera

Supports
Al Hilal
Unpopular opinion but he's not as bad as people think he is. We can put prime Yashin under our goal and still concede left right and center with the way we set up and defend. I am not saying he has been very good for us (though I think he's come far better since early this year) but he's not as bad as people say. He might look clumsy and erratic which I think affect how people judge him. Also he is really good with his feet when ETH isnt stupid to ask him to hoof the ball upfield randomly.

RuudtheRed

He played well and distribution was calm under pressure. Even his shot stopping which has been widely panned this season was good, he parried the balls out to the side rather than back into a dangerous area. Nothing he could have done about the goal, unfortunately.

simplyared

His best performance so far imo. I'm one of those who's already lost faith so he needs to string some good performances together before I'm convinced. Good today though!

lost7

Good game, made a couple of crucial saves when we were 2 1 up

redshaw

Good saves, kept us in the game really.

Shame he gives them the ball back with his distribution, they also created a good chance from it. Probably best just throwing it out. Could be our midfield not really being ready to receive the ball or misunderstandings.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

If only we had a keeper who makes saves, though.

lost7

He's gonna have to improve next season if he wants to stay long term, that's for sure

lex talionis

He's gonna have to improve next season if he wants to stay long term, that's for sure
I was about the write words to the same effect but you've captured the essence of the situation well.

Onana performed well enough this season to keep the job for a second season, but if his second season is a re-run of his first there can't be a third season for him at Old Trafford. His erratic play wasn't supposed to be an issue for a keeper with the experience that he already had.

Brighton 0:2 Man Utd New

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Love his character. Hope he improves next year and gets rid of some of the mistakes. There will always be some just like with every keeper in the league.

Last edited:

Litch

I think the issue of his kicking is def an issue but equally the fact there is zero movement doesnt help. Often options are limited and the long balls are just percentage kicks. Other keepers have 3 or 4 easier options....

criticalanalysis

I think the issue of his kicking is def an issue but equally the fact there is zero movement doesnt help. Often options are limited and the long balls are just percentage kicks. Other keepers have 3 or 4 easier options....
His short passing and composure is obviously elite but we've not seen enough of it because the backline has clearly not been coached for it. However, his long kicking has deteriorated really badly the last few months. I don't mind him standing on it and waiting for a better angle etc as it at least gives us a chance to reset but he keeps sending just before the half way line, where we get countered from a simple header. He needs to always go long into the opposition channel so we can at least win the second ball and be in a more optimal part of the pitch i.e everyone behind the ball.

It's such an easy fix. In those specific situations, just kick it as hard as you can into the corner flag areas ffs. You're never going to find cute long, telegraphed passes into your striker or wide player around the halfway line with the terrible movement we have without the opposition crowding them on the first or second touch.

Litch

His short passing and composure is obviously elite but we've not seen enough of it because the backline has clearly not been coached for it. However, his long kicking has deteriorated really badly the last few months. I don't mind him standing on it and waiting for a better angle etc as it at least gives us a chance to reset but he keeps sending just before the half way line, where we get countered from a simple header. He needs to always go long into the opposition channel so we can at least win the second ball and be in a more optimal part of the pitch i.e everyone behind the ball.

It's such an easy fix. In those specific situations, just kick it as hard as you can into the corner flag areas ffs. You're never going to find cute long, telegraphed passes into your striker or wide player around the halfway line with the terrible movement we have without the opposition crowding them on the first or second touch.
Agree and the nail on the head is around coaching as a team. He probably has kicked it long more times in this season than his whole career...

criticalanalysis

Agree and the nail on the head is around coaching as a team. He probably has kicked it long more times in this season than his whole career...
Yeah I don't mind his passes and delaying of it at all in the short areas but I think he needs to improve in the long kicking, where's trying to be too cute and in turn gets us caught out. Hopefully, we'll finally see some coaching next season.

Red00012

Him standing on the ball doing absolutely nothing with it until an opposition striker closes him down is so irritating.
Would you not think some of our players are like statues and hence the reason he holds it…

OldTrevil

Just browsed through to catch up on the last few games and its clear the agenda is well and truly set. In a season where we've had no recognizable back 4, this thread barely gets half a page when he has good games, but countless comments filled with gutter drivel when he makes a mistake :lol:

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Love his character. Hope he improves next year and gets rid of some of the mistakes. There will always be some just like with every keeper in the league.

Fantastic interview. He comes across as really honest, genuine.

He talked about how he was flying high and had a big ego before coming to United. Then the first six months really injected some humility into him, only to make him stronger and more realistic about who he is and where he is playing.

lex talionis

It's not Onana's passing that makes his footwork elite. It's his first touch on the ball when he's under pressure that separates makes his footwork elite. Opponents who wise up to this let him have the ball without any pressure and once Onana has time on his hands to pick out a pass he takes too long to make a pass and by the time that pass is made the opposition has had enough time to get organized. But Onana's first touch is outstanding, a vast improvement over his predecessor at the position. But if you back off Onana and close down the options to defenders he goes longball and his long passes are no better than De Gea's, apart from that one pass to Garnacho early in the season against Spurs that immediately led to a chance on goal.