5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
What I hold is that Onana’s undeniably brilliant footwork will not, and has not so far (though it may, thus proving me wrong) improve our finishing on goal.

We can bring in the greatest keeper of all time, whoever that may be, but responsibility for finishing chances that we created last season and will create this season will primarily lie on our front line players.

If this sounds like a ridiculous argument in one sense, that’s because it is. But poster after poster came on here claiming that yes, not just our chance creation but our actual finishing would improve after we got rid of De Gea and replaced him with Onana.

We were clean and crisp getting ball out from back to front (with a few bobbles, which is to be expected) but our end product was still mediocre, though it was a preseason match. Onana snapped at Maguire, which De Gea never did. We have a solid keeper going into the new season and I’m happy with that, but I do not expect a “transformation” in our attack.

What we need this season that we didn’t see last season was consistently impressive finishing on goal.
We can agree to disagree but a keeper putting a passes like Onana yesterday to Rashford and Bruno for me is a transformation, because it gives us another dimension.

I can't believe that anyone truly said that upgrading the goalkeeper would make our forwards more clinical. They might have suggested it would create more chances and therefore more goals but I seriously don't think anyone will have said that a keeper improves your strikers finishing.

Agbonlahor and the presenter on talk sport saying he bullied maguire last night and wouldn’t have the same energy towards other players. He’s an easy target.
You are an easy target if you put yourself in a high pressure situation but you keep making mistakes after mistakes.... I mean it's only natural.

Incredible distribution from him so far. Should give us a decent boost.

It's genuinely a shame, I don't think we have attackers with the level of technique needed to capitalise on his distribution.

The likes of Van Persie, Berbatov, Nani and Antonio Valencia would eat his passes up with their first touch and generate chances from them. I don't get the same confidence from Rashford, Antony and Sancho sadly.
While it's true that we don't have players as silky as Berbatov and Nani, I still think once Rashford hits form, he'll feast on those passes. Players like Bruno, Mount, Garnacho and hopefully Hojlund will also be sometimes able to take advantage of those balls.

Very impressed with so far. He's only played a game and a half but you can see how comfortable he is with passing the ball around. Some excellent long-balls as well.

Imagine having a goalkeeper who’s proactive. Only taken 10 years.

I can't believe that anyone truly said that upgrading the goalkeeper would make our forwards more clinical. They might have suggested it would create more chances and therefore more goals but I seriously don't think anyone will have said that a keeper improves your strikers finishing.
People (myself included) argued with the poster that our issues last season, went beyond just finishing. We also in parts, struggled to play out of the back, struggled to control games and create high xG chances. Onana and Mount will go along way towards fixing these problems and naturally lead to more goals.

It's the second play in this video, after about 8 seconds.

Not sure if Onana is having a go at Maguire for not passing it back to him when things got tight in there, or if it was because of how Maguire backed off and pointed for Scott to come win the ball back instead of racing back to help out himself. At first I thought it was the former but watching it again I think it might be the latter.

Watching it back makes me wonder if Scott actually should have come got it though instead of backing off himself, but it's a tough one.

What a player. Love the way he berated Maguire. Reminds me of Schmikes keeping our defenders on their toes.

The problem with Onana's expert passing is that our forwards have such poor first touches! That Rashford touch was naff.

I think I remember one person saying it. Hardly the 'poster after poster' that he claims. The vast majority of people commenting on it talked more about creating more chances and perhaps having more players getting into dangerous areas to get on the end of the chances.

I really think McTominay should have done better as well in that situation. That was a great chance for Dortmund.

It's genuinely a shame, I don't think we have attackers with the level of technique needed to capitalise on his distribution.

The likes of Van Persie, Berbatov, Nani and Antonio Valencia would eat his passes up with their first touch and generate chances from them. I don't get the same confidence from Rashford, Antony and Sancho sadly.

Rashford certainly didnt have the touch in the game against Dortmund but he is capable of a good first touch. Bruno usually is the one to launch him and now Onana can do it too. Sancho also has the technique and ability for a good first touch. Ofcourse both arent on van Persie or Berbatov level but hardly any players in the world are. I do think chances will be generated from Onana his kicking. Just in the video in this topic shows three moments where a better touch from Rashford could have resulted in a chance. I dont think he will keep having a 0/3 succes rate from his touches during the season. On normal form during the season he would atleast do one of those touches right.

Bruno was (just) offside and a slightly better timing on the run and it would have been a chance like the chance how Real Madrid/Bellingham scored after that Rudiger pass.

What I hold is that Onana’s undeniably brilliant footwork will not, and has not so far (though it may, thus proving me wrong) improve our finishing on goal.

We can bring in the greatest keeper of all time, whoever that may be, but responsibility for finishing chances that we created last season and will create this season will primarily lie on our front line players.

If this sounds like a ridiculous argument in one sense, that’s because it is. But poster after poster came on here claiming that yes, not just our chance creation but our actual finishing would improve after we got rid of De Gea and replaced him with Onana.

We were clean and crisp getting ball out from back to front (with a few bobbles, which is to be expected) but our end product was still mediocre, though it was a preseason match. Onana snapped at Maguire, which De Gea never did. We have a solid keeper going into the new season and I’m happy with that, but I do not expect a “transformation” in our attack.

What we need this season that we didn’t see last season was consistently impressive finishing on goal.

I like that way you've found one or two posters who said this, and you've now conflated this obvious hyperbole with every other poster who criticised DDG's ability on the ball. Because the argument that the overwhelming majority of people have made - changing DDG would help us play better football - is hard to disagree with. So you've created this strawman instead and are now flogging it relentlessly in the name of defending DDG.

Anyone who said that buying a new keeper would result in no changes whatsoever to the outfield team's play except for our finishing getting better was getting giddy and can be ignored. I've only seen one poster claim this, at most there might be one to two more. Not "poster after poster" which implies the majority of people criticising DDG.

The more sensible argument is that playing better football in defensive areas helps the team's game all round, including by providing better service for middle and attacking thirds. I'd be interested to know if you even disagree with this, since it seems fairly obvious. But since doing so would obviously open the door to implicit criticism of our former keeper, you seem to be staying away from that line of reasoning.

I can't believe the media are trying to make an entire thing out of the Maguire incident. It wasn't even that long that Onana was on Bruno's case against Madrid. He's a vocal keeper which is fairly normal.

But it will on average increase the total amount of chances we create (as well as on average decrease the amount of chances we concede).

I can't believe the media are trying to make an entire thing out of the Maguire incident. It wasn't even that long that Onana was on Bruno's case against Madrid. He's a vocal keeper which is fairly normal.
He was on Varane's case the other day against Real and we didn't hear a word about it

It's a whole much ado about nothing from the no.1 ABU on TalkShite that absolute melt Agbonlahor.

These talking head clowns who live to go viral would've had meltdowns over Schmeichel's leadership and vocality at the back when he used to tear into his defenders back in the day

I love him. He's exactly the right sort of mentality and calibre of player we need. The more I see of him, the more I'm excited.

Actually incredible how long I’ve been waiting for a goalkeeper to throw the ball out right away. DDG used to hold on to it and then apologise to whoever for not throwing it sooner.

Thank feck we finally found a goalkeeper who realises he can come off his line

Another warrior added to our squad. From years of not having any to now having

bruno
Casemiro
Martinez
Varane
Mount
Hojlund
Antony
Onana

all passion merchants with some grit to their game. All ruffle feathers. Definitely can see what type of characters ETH likes and wanted to add to our squad. Leaders across the pitch. Love it.

Welcome to modern football united fans. It's been a long time coming.

So refreshing having a vocal, big presence keeper.

I love Dave for all hes done but this guy is a breath of fresh air.

It's great having an absolute baller between the sticks but we could do with a focal point up front for him to find. Not sure Hojlund will be the answer.

His passing is just unreal, can see him pinging passes to Rashford many a times, especially against the highline teams.

Can’t wait for his first competitive match at Old Trafford. It’s going to be so so different having this goalkeeper in the goal :drool:

Didn't watch the game. What's that Onana-Maguire incident all about? Did Maguire make a mistake (even by his standards)?
Maguire played a dangerous pass to Eriksen when Onana was available for a simple pass, Eriksen ended up losing the ball and Dortmund nearly scored, Onana basically told him off and said I'm always available for the back pass. Everyone is just exaggerating it.

But it will on average increase the total amount of chances we create (as well as on average decrease the amount of chances we concede).

Maybe, but not necessarily.

A keeper with brilliant footwork is obviously better than a keeper with poor footwork, but we caftards need to keep our expectations for this supposed “transformation” in check. The dramatic increase in productivity from a keeper with brilliant footwork is fewer dispossessions in our own third (the ball to Eriksen v Brentford…the ball to Maguire v Sevilla although that one was almost all on Maguire) not an increase in chances created and certainly not an increase in chance conversion.

His passing is just unreal, can see him pinging passes to Rashford many a times, especially against the highline teams.

Most opponents say back against us last season and will do so again this season. Only a few pressed us high. Don’t expect a lot of route one balls this season, though I hope we see a few.

Was it more of Eriksen’s fault that he can’t keep the ball in that instance? Cos a better player like Modric, Scholes or Xavi could probably have easily played himself out of trouble there? I don’t know but i’m just wondering here

Most opponents say back against us last season and will do so again this season. Only a few pressed us high. Don’t expect a lot of route one balls this season, though I hope we see a few.

Its still a great option and possibility after defending a corner for example. Im hoping and expecting to see Onana launch Rashford from time to time.

EtH has brought a few big characters to the club...early days but his is a very likable man. :devil:

Its still a great option and possibility after defending a corner for example. Im hoping and expecting to see Onana launch Rashford from time to time.

I love it too. Top goalfor me are:

Shots from outside the box
Mazy dribbles then 1v1 with the keeper, preferably a chip
Well worked passing that leads to tap ins
Shots off crosses, preferably headers but the occasional overhead is no slouch
Route one balls, preferably from the keeper but a CB will do, for the monster goal

Another warrior added to our squad. From years of not having any to now having

bruno
Casemiro
Martinez
Varane
Mount
Hojlund
Antony
Onana

all passion merchants with some grit to their game. All ruffle feathers. Definitely can see what type of characters ETH likes and wanted to add to our squad. Leaders across the pitch. Love it.
Weird to not include Dalot in that list.

Love that he’s vocal and isn’t afraid to give it to anyone in front of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.