5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, that's true but also with DDG inability to participate in the build up phase and constantly hoofing the ball up the pitch leaving attackers to battle for those 50-50 balls isn't something that any player from the offensive line would appreciate.

Although I agree 100% that chance creation wasn't a problem last season but finishing, I just have a feeling that the source of those chances isn't something you wanna see from a top side and that we should look for something that is more consistent in order to reach the level we are aiming to. We heavily relied on fast breaks and Bruno-Rashford connection and I can see having a more possession based system, in which goalkeeper is crucial, can lead to not better chance creation but creating chances of better quality consistently and from a variety of different sources on the field.

It's not just the goalkeeper of course, but with adding players like Mount and possibly Amrabat to already a very good group of players we could really start to build something possession based, and Hojlund as a new #9, despite not having flashy numbers at Atalanta, could really capitalise on that. By saying that, this also does not exclude fast transitions as extra but not primary source of our chance creation.

I agree with you that having a goalkeeper like Onana can't improve your chance conversion, but it can help in attacking play by building something that at the other end of the pitch will result in a high quality chance. Thank you for this nice football related conversation, something that's rare to find these days.

Ps. You are right about Onana and his commanding qualities, it's better safe than sorry in terms of prevention of conceded chances.
You're spot on imo.

Also just to add to your post, with De Gea in goal, we invited the opposition to press us high aggressively. And those teams who were good at pressing us high would get a lot of joy by pressing us high with the GK being a non entity regards helping the team play out of the pressure that was being exerted by the opposition. Hence we would hit it long and lose control of a sequence of play that we were in control of.

Onana has the ability to create danger for both a high pressing opponent aswell as a opponent who is looking to press in a mid block. Pressing high against Onana opens up a real possibility of the first line of pressure being by-passed, and a mid block team will leave enough space in behind for Onana to come further up the pitch and hit the space in behind Rashford or Hojlund to run into.

Yes, that's true but also with DDG inability to participate in the build up phase and constantly hoofing the ball up the pitch leaving attackers to battle for those 50-50 balls isn't something that any player from the offensive line would appreciate.

Although I agree 100% that chance creation wasn't a problem last season but finishing, I just have a feeling that the source of those chances isn't something you wanna see from a top side and that we should look for something that is more consistent in order to reach the level we are aiming to. We heavily relied on fast breaks and Bruno-Rashford connection and I can see having a more possession based system, in which goalkeeper is crucial, can lead to not better chance creation but creating chances of better quality consistently and from a variety of different sources on the field.

It's not just the goalkeeper of course, but with adding players like Mount and possibly Amrabat to already a very good group of players we could really start to build something possession based, and Hojlund as a new #9, despite not having flashy numbers at Atalanta, could really capitalise on that. By saying that, this also does not exclude fast transitions as extra but not primary source of our chance creation.

I agree with you that having a goalkeeper like Onana can't improve your chance conversion, but it can help in attacking play by building something that at the other end of the pitch will result in a high quality chance. Thank you for this nice football related conversation, something that's rare to find these days.

Ps. You are right about Onana and his commanding qualities, it's better safe than sorry in terms of prevention of conceded chances.

I worry we’re setting expectations far too high for Onana. He will not transform our attack.

However, Dave was guilty of losing concentration too often in his last three seasons. We’re better off with a keeper consistently putting in a 6 performance than a keeper going from a 5 one match to a 7 in the next match.

I worry we’re setting expectations far too high for Onana. He will not transform our attack.

However, Dave was guilty of losing concentration too often in his last three seasons. We’re better off with a keeper consistently putting in a 6 performance than a keeper going from a 5 one match to a 7 in the next match.
I think you’re setting your expectations too low based on the fact you rate De Gea more than you should. Will he transform our attack? No not directly, however if he allows us to play higher up the pitch, improve and build and up and the feel total control, then of course that will transform the way we play and create chances. Thankfully even from what I’ve seen so far, I’m confident that will happen, I just hope when it does you’re willing to backtrack and admit you didn’t realise the impact it could have.

I think you’re setting your expectations too low based on the fact you rate De Gea more than you should. Will he transform our attack? No not directly, however if he allows us to play higher up the pitch, improve and build and up and the feel total control, then of course that will transform the way we play and create chances. Thankfully even from what I’ve seen so far, I’m confident that will happen, I just hope when it does you’re willing to backtrack and admit you didn’t realise the impact it could have.

Yeah, that’s exactly why I think this season could be Sancho’s last chance saloon.

The difference in the quality of passing out from the keeper is going to be massive, even just having a keeper who will drop out and create an angle for a pass will open up space and opportunities for players to play forward into midfield.

The other thing is that having a goalkeeper who plays higher and pushes the defence higher, makes it easier to defend from the front and win the ball back in the opposition half.

That has a two fold consequence that means you can force turnovers higher up the pitch and turn those into chances much quicker than if your constantly defending around your own box. And also preventing the number of big opportunities being created against you closer to your own goal.

I think what you will see is this Utd side keeping the ball better, creating sustained periods of pressure in the opposition half and the creation of more higher quality chances of scoring. Rather than trying to create fast breaks from deeper positions.

Even if Onana bypasses our defenders and starts attacks with route one balls, Antony and Sancho still have to significantly raise their game with creativity (Antony) and courage (Sancho), which can only come from within. And if this happens, Antony being more creative and not always looking for the left-footed shot from distance and Sancho taking on his defender I’ll be the first to acknowledge Omana’s impact on them.

Small changes can make a huge difference. A cross from a corner caught by the keeper instead of cleared into touch by the defender can lead to a more productive counterattack. We should see fewer passes from the keeper to the CBs deep in our own third, which got Dave into trouble last season (Eriksen v Brentford and Maguire v Sevilla, which led to goals conceded, plus countless others which led to jammy situations) and we should see fewer longer passes sprayed into touch.

But when it comes to our front line players — by far the weakness in the squad last year — their performances will come down to themselves; just as Onana’s performances come down to him. If a transformation of our chance conversion comes to pass, it may well be the result of Onana’s passing out of the back or it may come from within the attacking players themselves. We shall see which it is.

Even if Onana bypasses our defenders and starts attacks with route one balls, Antony and Sancho still have to significantly raise their game with creativity (Antony) and courage (Sancho), which can only come from within. And if this happens, Antony being more creative and not always looking for the left-footed shot from distance and Sancho taking on his defender I’ll be the first to acknowledge Omana’s impact on them.

Small changes can make a huge difference. A cross from a corner caught by the keeper instead of cleared into touch by the defender can lead to a more productive counterattack. We should see fewer passes from the keeper to the CBs deep in our own third, which got Dave into trouble last season (Eriksen v Brentford and Maguire v Sevilla, which led to goals conceded, plus countless others which led to jammy situations) and we should see fewer longer passes sprayed into touch.

But when it comes to our front line players — by far the weakness in the squad last year — their performances will come down to themselves; just as Onana’s performances come down to him. If a transformation of our chance conversion comes to pass, it may well be the result of Onana’s passing out of the back or it may come from within the attacking players themselves. We shall see which it is.
This is a far more reasonable post and viewpoint, would agree with you here. Our attackers will need to improve in many areas on last season. I just think it’s important to realise that we lost control of so many games because De Gea was just such a total liability in possession.

Dion Dublin on the pre-match build-up:

“I’m just watching Onana strike the ball, right foot, left foot…it’s an absolute pleasure to watch” :drool: :drool: My keeper!:cool:

We don't concede that goal with de Gea.

Think we’ll concede a few like that this season. Players will catch him way of his line and go for it.

Our defence needs to cut out the errors. Onana is doing exactly what he should be doing, but we're throwing him under the bus giving the ball away in these positions.

Like I said when we bought him, some fans are not mentally ready for a sweeper keeper. I hope the fans in the stadium are reasonable.

Like I said when we bought him. Some fans are not mentally ready for a sweeper keeper. I hope the fans in the stadium are reasonable.

Yeah and tbf some fans will never understand the game, best ignored.

Like I said when we bought him. Some fans are not mentally ready for a sweeper keeper. I hope the fans in the stadium are reasonable.

They will be. Match going fans are rarely the problem. It will only be a minority that complain. They just often shout quite loudly about it.

He did nothing wrong there. It was all on the idiot Dalot.
He may stay on his line until we get a capable right back!. I’m joking obviously but he needs to be on guard especially when one of our right backs are on the ball. Definitely not his fault for the goal.

My mistake. I've seen a lot of posts saying the same in the game against Madrid, so took that one seriously.

Easy done tbf. I was just trying to get in first before the serious posts slagging him off began.

Think we’ll concede a few like that this season. Players will catch him way of his line and go for it.

Those kinds of goals only happen a few times a season per league, even when most of the keepers are way off their line. It was a special strike. Not much different to giving the ball away 30 yards from goal and someone smashing it in top corner. It's a risk that's very hard to capitalise on.

Those kinds of goals only happen a few times a season per league, even when most of the keepers are way off their line. It was a special strike. Not much different to giving the ball away 30 yards from goal and someone smashing it in top corner. It's a risk that's very hard to capitalise on.
Ye I suppose. Depends who’s striking the ball aswell. Someone with very good accuracy and strike will score them chances 9 times out of 10. We’re so sloppy on the ball though and Onana will pick up on that and probably stay a bit deeper.

Onana doing modern goalkeeper things, he has the Ederson look about him, on edge, stuck in goal when he really wants to play attacking mid. Utd just don't have City's dominance to cover for any errors.

People are going to appreciate why De Gea has an argument to be the greatest PL keeper of them all, up there with Cech and Allison.

What does it say about me that I came here to say DDG would have saved that only to see the joke was already made?

Ye I suppose. Depends who’s striking the ball aswell. Someone with very good accuracy and strike will score them chances 9 times out of 10. We’re so sloppy on the ball though and Onana will pick up on that and probably stay a bit deeper.

I'm sure Rooney tried to beat the keeper from the halfway line at least 5 times and only managed it once. There's no way someone's scoring goals like that 9 times out of 10...

Part of playing a higher defensive line is professional footballers being able to make a simple 5 yard pass when they are under no pressure.

Not at fault for that goal even though it makes him look at bit daft. Absolute brain fart from Dalot it’s on him, he should know What Onana’s games about and not expect him to be glued to his goal line like De Gea.

Meh it was a goals from an error...can shift the blame around. But I do think a few opposition GK will even fancy scoring against him this season.

Players who have chipped Onana
Bellingham
Sotoca

What does it say about me that I came here to say DDG would have saved that only to see the joke was already made?
That perhaps you aren’t as funny as you think? Already feeling like a tired joke!

Part of playing a higher defensive line is professional footballers being able to make a simple 5 yard pass when they are under no pressure.

Yes, it's Manchester United and players should be expected to have the standards required of a modern progressive football side. Misplacing multiple short passes is not acceptable and Dalot should be held accountable.

Onana is exactly where he should be to be available for the out ball, to beat the press and support with short to mid range passes into the 10 or the wide players to improve our territory.

We don't concede that goal with de Gea.
Yeah but we don't create that sitter Mount missed. His distribution is huge upgrade, Dalot with a shocker. He needs upgraded, can't trust him. I think Onana is the first huge upgrade with ETH long term.

High risk, high reward. I still feel like apart from Shaw and Martinez, the rest of our defence all have a dodgy passing moment in them.

Also for all this high line talk we still just end up passing it along our back 4 just a couple yards higher. I'm yet to see us actually utilizing the high line to pin teams in.

High risk, high reward. I still feel like apart from Shaw and Martinez, the rest of our defence all have a dodgy passing moment in them.

Also for all this high line talk we still just end up passing it along our back 4 just a couple yards higher. I'm yet to see us actually utilizing the high line to pin teams in.

Well I'd argue that totally changing something like that probably takes more than a couple of weeks.

I'm at least relieved this happened during pre-season rather than a game of consequence. Just hope the consequences are that our defenders are more cautious of being sloppy, rather than Onana inhibiting his role for lack of trust of those in front of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.