5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Love is confidence on the ball. Completely changes they way we build out.

I loved De Gea and he was one of the best keepers we've had, but it's just unfortunate that he played in at point in time where the goalkeeper role was reinvented.

Last edited:
Agbonlahor and the presenter on talk sport saying he bullied maguire last night and wouldn’t have the same energy towards other players. He’s an easy target.

It was only his first game, and the opponent was Real, but there was nothing about Onana’s performance last night that looked anything like a transformation in our attack.

As for shotstopping, and I’ll make it brief here since since this isn’t the thread for it, Dave made some calamitous mistakes last season but he has also made numerous saves that you just don’t see typical keepers at even elite clubs make.
Interesting if you still hold the same opinion after 45mins vs Dortmund. You might argue he was the most creative player in United shirt, as ridiculous as it sounds.

Well those 2 were players ETH himself wanted, One would think they'd give him exactly what he wants.
Hopefully, but what he seems to want for this United team is not what he wanted at Ajax it seems.

"spotted FUMING at Harry Maguire"

As if they were caught on Weatherspoons CCTV or something and it didn't happen during an football match in front of thousands of people.

Exactly what I was thinking. :lol::lol:
Gutter press media

Has Agbonlahor got amnesia from his playing days or something? Pretty sure yelling at your teammates on the pitch is a pretty reoccuring theme.

God help if he saw that Grobbelaar-McManaman onfield spat in a Merseyside Derby 30 years ago

It's the second play in this video, after about 8 seconds.

Not sure if Onana is having a go at Maguire for not passing it back to him when things got tight in there, or if it was because of how Maguire backed off and pointed for Scott to come win the ball back instead of racing back to help out himself. At first I thought it was the former but watching it again I think it might be the latter.

Watching it back makes me wonder if Scott actually should have come got it though instead of backing off himself, but it's a tough one.

I know this isn’t Rashford highlight but he was awful from those beautiful passes from Onana. And the last one he just gave up - really bad.

Chills at him giving the defence a rollocking. Need that sort of presence and leader there.

Not sure if Onana is having a go at Maguire for not passing it back to him when things got tight in there, or if it was because of how Maguire backed off and pointed for Scott to come win the ball back instead of racing back to help out himself. At first I thought it was the former but watching it again I think it might be the latter.

Watching it back makes me wonder if Scott actually should have come got it though instead of backing off himself, but it's a tough one.

Thanks! Maguire absolutely deserved the bollocking. He just backs off as if it's a certainty that Scott's going to win the ball cleanly in the middle of a 3v2 and have the time to then pass it to him.

Chills at him giving the defence a rollocking. Need that sort of presence and leader there.
Onana yelling at Maguire had me on the floor. Defenders making mistakes and Onana holding them accountable is what I like to see

I know this isn’t Rashford highlight but he was awful from those beautiful passes from Onana. And the last one he just gave up - really bad.

Rashford is awful at holding up ball and his first touch can be spotty at times. He needs the ball in front of him to run to.

Maybe he will improve when Onana keeps pinging the ball at him.

Remember when captain Harry maguire posted his own 30 second passing compilation on twitter

Love Onana but won’t have people rubbishing Dave contribution to this club.

Who rubbished? If you are referring to the De Gea comment of 10 year of being stuck in a shit job, they are calling the club as being shit and not De Gea.

I think he gave Maguire a bollocking because he didn't pass back to him and needlessly put Eriksen under pressure when he was already marked which led to him losing the ball in a dangerous area and created a dangerous situation against us.

Onana wants to make sure the guys know he's there as an outlet for passing. Maguire ignoring the pass to him and instead going to a marked Eriksen was the issue.

Last edited:

Love that at the end of the video the commentator says something along the lines of "There's one for Rashford to chase" while the ball is in the air for it to land directly at Rashfords feet :lol:

While obviously looking kinda envious because we are shite right now, glad you lot rate him. He was perfect for us.

Our defenders are gonna have to get used to receiving the ball from him, and to trust passing it back to him. His passing is insane. If our attackers make quick runs, hes gonna find them.

To be honest I think that first pass 30 seconds into the half was my favourite.

It's genuinely a shame, I don't think we have attackers with the level of technique needed to capitalise on his distribution.

The likes of Van Persie, Berbatov, Nani and Antonio Valencia would eat his passes up with their first touch and generate chances from them. I don't get the same confidence from Rashford, Antony and Sancho sadly.

Do you think we'll see ten Hag try him out in midfield?
He won't even formally need to, Onana will just edge his way forward until he settles around the centre circle. We could stick a defender in the net to head away any halfway line attempts should we lose possession.

Remember when captain Harry maguire posted his own 30 second passing compilation on twitter
Haha did he? I thought the cupped ears celebration for England against some minnow was the lowest point for him but this would top it.

I think he gave Maguire a bollocking because he didn't pass back to him and needlessly put Eriksen under pressure when he was already marked which led to him losing the ball in a dangerous area and created a dangerous situation against us.

Onana wants to make sure the guys know he's there as an outlet for passing. Maguire ignoring the pass to him and instead going to a marked Eriksen was the issue.

Maguire was like it in the Madrid game too. The only player who routinely ignored Onana was Maguire. I couldn't believe it. It looked blatant. You can tell it pissed Onana off.

Maguire is that guy who perceives himself to be a catenaccio sweeper, spraying balls around. Probably doesn't like Onana stealing his thunder.

Interesting if you still hold the same opinion after 45mins vs Dortmund. You might argue he was the most creative player in United shirt, as ridiculous as it sounds.

What I hold is that Onana’s undeniably brilliant footwork will not, and has not so far (though it may, thus proving me wrong) improve our finishing on goal.

We can bring in the greatest keeper of all time, whoever that may be, but responsibility for finishing chances that we created last season and will create this season will primarily lie on our front line players.

If this sounds like a ridiculous argument in one sense, that’s because it is. But poster after poster came on here claiming that yes, not just our chance creation but our actual finishing would improve after we got rid of De Gea and replaced him with Onana.

We were clean and crisp getting ball out from back to front (with a few bobbles, which is to be expected) but our end product was still mediocre, though it was a preseason match. Onana snapped at Maguire, which De Gea never did. We have a solid keeper going into the new season and I’m happy with that, but I do not expect a “transformation” in our attack.

What we need this season that we didn’t see last season was consistently impressive finishing on goal.

Really excited about Onana and can see him potentially as captain one day. The way he went after Maguire as Maguire was in the middle of casting blame elsewhere was fantastic.

Surely ETH works with the front line on receiving long balls and it transforms our attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.