5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
He's the best thing about the preseason so far. Looks like a huge upgrade on the previous keeper

Biggest signing this season. His composure and range of passing is world class

3 long passes to rashfords feet in left wing.... just too good

He’s a beast and exactly what I’ve been crying out for for the last five years. Hallelujah!

Love watching him play. It's a shame that his long passes are being wasted due to poor control and a lack of physicality. Hopefully Højlund can make some stick, even though he doesn't have the aerial game.

So good. His shot stopping is of 0 concern as well. Was always a weird thing that people just assumed despite him always showing up strong in it.

The biggest thing I'm looking forward to finding out (and unsure of) is how he deals with crosses. Better than de Gea, but is it actually good or just meh, and not shit anymore. Class with everything else.

And this was the second time Rashford ruined a perfectly well executed long pass to him by Onana. The first one was just egregious given it was just a matter of controlling the ball and he'd have been through. The pass was that perfectly well weighted and all it begged for was a decent touch to kill it.

Tbf Rashford or any of our frontline players arent used to having drop kicks fall right at their feet. It must have come as an unexpected surprise to him.

Yeah. I just posted that video to show the pass, i don't blame Rashford much unlike the Twitter poster. I do think Rashford will get better at this, as I expect us to work on this. You see this with Salah quite a bit with Allison's passes.

GK is our first priority signing this transfer window. It looks like we have high chance that we have gotten it right this time! Excited for the new season now!

GK is our first priority signing this transfer window. It looks like we have high chance that we have gotten it right this time! Excited for the new season now!
You will still find people saying that we should have kept ddg and used that money for Kane

It’s good having a keeper that can kick far and pick out the right pass but if the front men can’t control it then it’s pointless.

Yeah. I just posted that video to show the pass, i don't blame Rashford much unlike the Twitter poster. I do think Rashford will get better at this, as I expect us to work on this. You see this with Salah quite a bit with Allison's passes.

Rashford barely ever challenges for balls in the air. Its one of his biggest weaknesses.

It must have been built into his neurons that whenever DDG/United goalie kicks a ball up in the air, it will mainly land up in pointless positions.
Imagine the shock of seeing one kick dropping right to your laces... Rashford has to re-tune his brain to expect balls to drop in front of him every time.

What a keeper, he is going to transform our game into whole new level.

Onana said he only feared god. It has changed after today. He is now scared of both god and Harry Maguire. The latter being a punishment god inflicted upon him.

Martinez, Antony and Onana are exactly what Ten Hag wants for his style of football. They give you control, press resistance, a ball outlet and they are able to break lines.

Casemiro, Hojlund, Mount, I am not so sure yet. But maybe that's for good, he's not building an Ajax side.

Rashford barely ever challenges for balls in the air. Its one of his biggest weaknesses.
It’s my biggest annoyance with him. It’s not even merely that he’s awful in the air / at hold up play, it’s that he does it so half heartedly and has made such little progress. With his height he should really be decent at it but I rarely ever see him rolling a defender for example. It’s always bouncing of him or he just doesn’t try.

I used to say that Ederson is a better passer than some of our outfield players.

Now, I could do the same with our own keeper.

Martinez, Antony and Onana are exactly what Ten Hag wants for his style of football. They give you control, press resistance, a ball outlet and they are able to break lines.

Casemiro, Hojlund, Mount, I am not so sure yet. But maybe that's for good, he's not building an Ajax side.
It obvious to me that ETH is building a team which is a cross between Pep possession footballball and Klopp counter press. He knows some of our best players (Bruno, Rashford) suit the more counter press football and he's made signings like Casemiro and Mount to reinforce that. So no possession for possession sake, in the big games you'll see a lot of vertical balls to the forwards, but against deep sitting/ mid blocks opponent we'll still be functional.

It’s my biggest annoyance with him. It’s not even merely that he’s awful in the air / at hold up play, it’s that he does it so half heartedly and has made such little progress. With his height he should really be decent at it but I rarely ever see him rolling a defender for example. It’s always bouncing of him or he just doesn’t try.
Not every player has this ability, especially for one who no1 position is the left wing and best attributes are his direct running and movement.

It obvious to me that ETH is building a team which is a cross between Pep possession footballball and Klopp counter press. He knows some of our best players (Bruno, Rashford) suit the more counter press football and he's made signings like Casemiro and Mount to reinforce that. So no possession for possession sake, in the big games you'll see a lot of vertical balls to the forwards, but against deep sitting/ mid blocks opponent we'll still be functional.
Spot on, should be exciting. Prefer that style of play, as it is quick. As good as City are, I find them boring to watch at times.

Not every player has this ability, especially for one who no1 position is the left wing and best attributes are his direct running and movement.
It’s not about being great at it but rather doing it competently and rather than really poorly. Look at Liverpools recent front three that did really well - Firmino, Salah and Mane - all could play to a decent level with back to goal without having to play down the middle. Salah was able to turn defenders, Mane was very hard to knock off the ball and Firmino’s hold up play was great. There’s a middle ground and all of our attackers need to work at it if we need to become a team that dominates. If the attackers keep struggling to trap the forward pass / need a certain amount of space and comfort, then it will not be possible.

Spot on, should be exciting. Prefer that style of play, as it is quick. As good as City are, I find them boring to watch at times.
Yeah but I think the reason I find city games boring is because I'm usually supporting the opponent. The way they outplayed Arsenal and Madrid towards the end of last season is football at it finest. I don't think we can beat them by being exactly like them though.

Yeah but I think the reason I find city games boring is because I'm usually supporting the opponent. The way they outplayed Arsenal and Madrid towards the end of last season is football at it finest. I don't think we can beat them by being exactly like them though.
Yeah in top matches they are different class, especially as the opponents will have to go at them. They'll rip you apart.

It’s not about being great at it but rather doing it competently and rather than really poorly. Look at Liverpools recent front three that did really well - Firmino, Salah and Mane - all could play to a decent level with back to goal without having to play down the middle. Salah was able to turn defenders, Mane was very hard to knock off the ball and Firmino’s hold up play was great. There’s a middle ground and all of our attackers need to work at it if we need to become a team that dominates. If the attackers keep struggling to trap the forward pass / need a certain amount of space and comfort, then it will not be possible.
Rashford is the least of my worries among our forwards. C.Ronaldo couldn't do it either even at his best, you could always find faults in any footballer.

Yeah in top matches they are different class, especially as the opponents will have to go at them. They'll rip you apart.
They just deny the opponent any of the ball and kill your hope of them loosing:lol: if we develop the way I think we would under ETH we'll be their Kryptonite. Rashford and Hojlund direct threat and Onana long passes could scare them. Watching the UCL final I was imagining if inter had Rashford instead instead of Martinez to pair Dzeko City would have been forced even deeper or be shredded to pieces.

What is his Ajax philosophy? Didn't he have a couple of different teams that he re-built? Or are there common features despite the different sets of players?
They all dominated possession City style. But that's an Ajax thing more so than an ETH thing.

We are so far away from each type of football, I wouldn't say it's a "cross" between those. I think ETH is simply trying to build a balanced side and he's addressing the right issues with new players. But I don't see any high intensity that is the base for Klopp side and we are definitely not resembling a team that can hold possession in midfield/attack.

They all dominated possession City style. But that's an Ajax thing more so than an ETH thing.
Not necessarily. De Boer played a very safe and boring possession style of football which didnt work in Europe.

Peter Bosz played a far more ultra-press volatile and quick style of play, which did quite work in Europe but was very vulnerable.

Erik Ten Hag was able to master a possession based play with a lot of verticality, positional play, a very strong build-up and systems of play that were ran over and over again.

But I maintain, that team with Onana, Mazraoui, De Ligt, Martinez, Tagliafico, Schone, De Jong, Donny, Ziyech, Tadic, Neres or sometimes Donny on the bench and Dolberg up front. Every player was technically and tactically top class in their position. It made perfect sense. It was clear from pre-season.

Tbf Rashford or any of our frontline players arent used to having drop kicks fall right at their feet. It must have come as an unexpected surprise to him.
Then they all need to start watching that Berbatov video teaching how to control a ball.

Finally a keeper to rip his defenders a new one.
You can tell these guys just aren't used to it. Same as when Heaton had a go at Williams. The reaction of the player says it all, they just don't want to be held accountable for mistakes. Just let someone else pick up the pieces.

His composure and ability on the ball and the quality of his passing long and short is going to make it so much easier to play out through a press, teams will get to the point where they just won't even bother trying to press him because he'll pick them off with a long ball. You just can't put a number on how important that is to the team as a whole and how much more time and space the back 4 and midfield will be able to find now.

Status
Not open for further replies.