Alejandro Garnacho Argentina flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Still of the opinion that we're better off using him like we did Amad today, in the second half to run at tired players.

Unfortunately most of the time, I don't see it with him.

When he's not getting a goal or an assist, there isn't much else there.

He will soon get benched at the expense of Amad, if Ten Hag continues with Rashford on the other side.

Ran down a lot of blind alleys. At his best when the game is ahead of him, looks less of a player coming short and looking to link up and overload.

Really erratic, it doesn't help that Rashford is similar on the other side. The attack has no coherence, it's a lot more balanced with someone like Amad who can keep the ball. Don't think him and Rashford should be on the pitch at the same time.

If he'd have played like that on the left, people would have blamed the fact he was on the left, and say he needs to be on the right.

He's just an inconsistent young player no matter which side he plays on.

Give him a run of games on the left and Amad on the right. Rashford has been undroppable for long enough and it's time for someone else to get the chances that he's been given.

We'll get far more benefit in the medium-long term out of developing Garnacho and Amad with consistent starts rather than playing favourites to past it players like Rashford.

If he'd have played like that on the left, people would have blamed the fact he was on the left, and say he needs to be on the right.

He's just an inconsistent young player no matter which side he plays on.

Give him a run of games on the left and Amad on the right. Rashford has been undroppable for long enough and it's time for someone else to get the chances that he's been given.

We'll get far more benefit in the medium-long term out of developing Garnacho and Amad with consistent starts rather than playing favourites to past it players like Rashford.

Definitely. I was thinking this about Casemiro too. The minutes him and Rashford are getting should be going to the younger ones to blood them in. Some players are just a lost cause.

Half of the players in our tema have a good potential including Garnacho. We need to judge them once we get rid of one of the worst managers in the league and are managed by at least someone average. Seems bonkers that every year there is a two three emerging progressive managee coming into the league outperforming our bald guy after coaching the team for few weeks.

Hard to fight the sneaking suspicion that he just might not be that good.

I said his ceiling wouldn't be much better than Walcott's and I stand by it. He's a good player but we should never be thinking of not upgrading our wing positions because "it will stunt Garnacho's growth".

« Young player being inconsistent! » shocker!

Zirkzee will be inconsistent, Mainoo too, Hojlund and Amad as well, Yoro too when he’ll be back.

That’s the price of developing young players

His pace and shooting are good but his decisionmaking can be so frustrating. So many times he just runs head first into a defender and loses the ball. Possession is so precious in Premier League so doing that a few times in a game can take a lot of momentum out of the attack. I still like him and hope he gets more playing time.

Zirkzee will be inconsistent, Mainoo too, Hojlund and Amad as well, Yoro too when he’ll be back.

This is pretty much it - he was often our most threatening player last season, he's gonna have ups and downs as young players and attackers in general often do.

Would still probably start him on the left over Rashford.

I watched Lamine Yamal yesterday. Creativity and vision is way ahead of Garnacho. Garnacho plays like a striker forced to play wide.

I watched Lamine Yamal yesterday. Creativity and vision is way ahead of Garnacho. Garnacho plays like a striker forced to play wide.
You watched the biggest U20 talent the world of football had seen since 2017 Mbappe or even as far back as mid 2000’s Messi, yea, Garnacho is not quite as good as that, unfortunately, but who is?

He's so physically weak. Constantly bullied off the ball and losing possession, which often leads to us being counterattacked. Several times already this season he's thrown himself to the floor looking for soft free kicks because he's not strong enough to hold the ball, but the refs aren't buying it.

Needs to bulk up ASAP (I was saying this last season), and needs to be utilised more from the bench as that's where he seems to be most effective. The problem is all our other wide players/wingers are equally ineffective apart from Amad occasionally, so even if he is benched, there'll probably be someone else equally ineffective in his place. It's a mess.

His pace and shooting are good but his decisionmaking can be so frustrating. So many times he just runs head first into a defender and loses the ball. Possession is so precious in Premier League so doing that a few times in a game can take a lot of momentum out of the attack. I still like him and hope he gets more playing time.

This is pretty much it - he was often our most threatening player last season, he's gonna have ups and downs as young players and attackers in general often do.

Would still probably start him on the left over Rashford.
You are all right, and this is what the club wants now. Last year we had three players below 21 in central roles, now we’ve added developmentally young players like Zirkzee and Amad to that instead of prime age super stars. This means we opt for inconsistency for potential, building the slow way. It’s a brave choice, lauded by many. The trade-off is that not everyone has the patience for inconsistency and building over several years, so Man Utd as a club has to stand up again and again against takes like these:

He's so physically weak. Constantly bullied off the ball and losing possession, which often leads to us being counterattacked. Several times already this season he's thrown himself to the floor looking for soft free kicks because he's not strong enough to hold the ball, but the refs aren't buying it.

Needs to bulk up ASAP (I was saying this last season), and needs to be utilised more from the bench as that's where he seems to be most effective. The problem is all our other wide players/wingers are equally ineffective apart from Amad occasionally, so even if he is benched, there'll probably be someone else equally ineffective in his place. It's a mess.

Just echoing what has been said in this thread but Garnacho is so weak. I couldn't believe how easily Liverpool's LB brushed him off the ball early in the 1st half. Amad is smaller than him in stature but is much stronger and can ride challenges. It's something Garnacho needs to work on if he wants to get better.

He had a bad game against Liverpool.

I agree with that. I think it's better for him to bulk up over time rather than in 6 months. Surely it's better on the body over time? I'm no gym expert so just asking. I think he is far more dangerous off the bench but problem was, he became a starter because of injuries and lesser quality players and has played a lot of games for a 20 year old. He's only gone 20, by the way. Last season he was just 19.

What concerns me with Garnacho is I hope he develops properly because I think he CAN be something special. And I hate we have to rely on him....same with Mainoo and other young players.

Garnacho, like Mainoo, feel really badly done to. We're expecting them to carry our season when they should be bit-part players, in and out of the side and given time and space to develop, if its not working take them out of the side and give them a breather and then reintroduced.

Without Mainoo we've no midfield and Garnacho is currently (arguably) our best wide player.

Feels unfair to overly criticise them, the criticism should be elsewhere.

He had a bad game against Liverpool.

I agree with that. I think it's better for him to bulk up over time rather than in 6 months. Surely it's better on the body over time? I'm no gym expert so just asking. I think he is far more dangerous off the bench but problem was, he became a starter because of injuries and lesser quality players and has played a lot of games for a 20 year old. He's only gone 20, by the way. Last season he was just 19.

What concerns me with Garnacho is I hope he develops properly because I think he CAN be something special. And I hate we have to rely on him....same with Mainoo and other young players.

Oh, I haven't a clue about muscle building either! But he's now in his 3rd season as a first team squad regular and he doesn't look that much physically stronger than when he first appeared!

If they're deliberately not trying to bulk him up too much because they think, I dunno, it will negate his speed or something, it's clearly not the right approach because he's being ragdolled every week by stronger defenders.

In a functional squad, Garnacho and Mainoo would be used sparingly to ease them in to the demands of first team football, like City did with Foden at the same age. But our squad is a mess so we're in a position where we have no choice but to flog them every week.

Oh, I haven't a clue about muscle building either! But he's now in his 3rd season as a first team squad regular and he doesn't look that much physically stronger than when he first appeared!

If they're deliberately not trying to bulk him up too much because they think, I dunno, it will negate his speed or something, it's clearly not the right approach because he's being ragdolled every week by stronger defenders.

In a functional squad, Garnacho and Mainoo would be used sparingly to ease them in to the demands of first team football, like City did with Foden at the same age. But our squad is a mess so we're in a position where we have no choice but to flog them every week.
Yes it's his third season, but only what 18 months or so he's been playing a lot. He's still only just gone 20. So young! We really should not be relying on him.

Foden: City never depended on him. I think it will be at least one more summer transfer window before we have a functional squad.

I think the first thing our players need to do is stop going on to the social media after a bad loss. They don't help themselves with stuff like this.

Doom scrolling Twitter at 11 o'clock at night, responding to trolls, getting ratioed by the troll and then deleting the tweet.

Embarrassing.

I don’t mind them interacting on social media a bit. These are the times we are living in. His reply was quite accurate I would say.

He needs to be properly coached as he has potential to become a top winger but he is still very raw.

I don’t mind them interacting on social media a bit. These are the times we are living in. His reply was quite accurate I would say.

He needs to be properly coached as he has potential to become a top winger but he is still very raw.
The thing is, did he expect to find people cheering him on right after a bad loss? Did all the booing in the stadium when he was substituted made him think he played a good game?

And it clearly affected him enough to bother with replying at all. I'd rather they just completely avoid it or be trained better when interacting with social media. There's no upside to engaging with trolls like those.

His best usage is still as an impact sub and ideally that's the role he'd be in.

Yeah ideally we would have 2 starting wingers ahead of him and Amad, however with Rashford and Antony in the team we are forced to start/will be forced to start both Garnacho and Amad for the season. Next summer we really need to invest in 2 quality wingers.

Garnacho, Amad and Mainoo had a bad game? Couldn't care less. I've been watching overpriced, overpaid, overrated footballers like Maguire, Rashford, Casemiro, to name a few who are still around, do nothing or even worse, contributing negatively to our goal difference for far too long. At least the kids have potential and make me smile from time to time.

Haven't seen enough over the last year to suggest Garnacho's ceiling is much higher than how he is currently performing. Which is not bad, mind. He's a good player. I just don't see anything that leads me to believe hes going to take that next step and develop into a world class winger. The current setup isn't helping him either. Shouldn't really be relying on him as much as we have anyway. Shame its 2024 and we're still on the hunt for a top caliber RW.

I think the first thing our players need to do is stop going on to the social media after a bad loss. They don't help themselves with stuff like this.

Why would you even reply to some random guy on twitter and give them visibility?

Was physically bullied in the match. Plus i felt, he does not have that clever one touch passing in close quarters or the link up play with Mazouri to open up space that Amad has in its locker, which was evident in the match against Fulham and then several times against Brighton as well.