Alejandro Garnacho Argentina flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
He has to play on the left. Robertson had him in his pocket against Liverpool because Nacho isn't comfortable on the right. Play him were he's comfortable and he'll prosper.

He has to play on the left. Robertson had him in his pocket against Liverpool because Nacho isn't comfortable on the right. Play him were he's comfortable and he'll prosper.

He played dreadfully against Liverpool because he played dreadfully against Liverpool (like the rest of the team), it has very little to do with which wing he was on.

He played dreadfully against Liverpool because he played dreadfully against Liverpool (like the rest of the team), it has very little to do with which wing he was on.
Indeed, he’s very good on both wings, people saying he should stick to one when he’s been so productive on both seems reductive to me.

No, it's more than that. He's not an old fashioned winger a la Andrei Kanchelskis who just zips it by lads and crosses. He's a modern introverted winger, and a right sided one of them requires a really good left foot. Garnacho's is weak at best.
So he received the ball with Robertson up his arse not letting him turn, cut inside onto his weak left foot and had limited options because of said weak left foot.
Did you see the pass he played for Rashford's 1st goal against Barnsley? That wasn't on against Pool because............ well you get the idea.
There are reasons why players play dreadfully, like being played out of position. So no more right wing nonsense. Leave that to Amad.

No, it's more than that. He's not an old fashioned winger a la Andrei Kanchelskis who just zips it by lads and crosses. He's a modern introverted winger, and a right sided one of them requires a really good left foot. Garnacho's is weak at best.
So he received the ball with Robertson up his arse not letting him turn, cut inside onto his weak left foot and had limited options because of said weak left foot.
Did you see the pass he played for Rashford's 1st goal against Barnsley? That wasn't on against Pool because............ well you get the idea.
There are reasons why players play dreadfully, like being played out of position. So no more right wing nonsense. Leave that to Amad.

And yet he played his best football on the right last season and underwhelmed on the left...almost like the quality of opposition matters and, more crucially, form fluctuates. He is perfectly capable on both sides, which is good because Rashford is fairly shit on the right and Amad is fairly shit on the left.

And yet he played his best football on the right last season and underwhelmed on the left...almost like the quality of opposition matters and, more crucially, form fluctuates. He is perfectly capable on both sides, which is good because Rashford is fairly shit on the right and Amad is fairly shit on the left.
If I'm a left back I know exactly what to do with him. I don't remember too many great performances from the right last season.

No, we were spoiling him by playing him too much on the right. Are you gonna list for me the great right wing performances?

I mean I think he's a fantastic prospect but I don't think he's a great player anywhere yet. His goal record is a lot better from the right though.

I mean I think he's a fantastic prospect but I don't think he's a great player anywhere yet. His goal record is a lot better from the right though.
Oh he'll get on the end of things wherever he plays. I think my point about his left peg still stands and his development will be much smoother if he's played to his strengths.

Oh he'll get on the end of things wherever he plays. I think my point about his left peg still stands and his development will be much smoother if he's played to his strengths.

Just out of interest... how did he score his goal in the Community Shield against Citeh? My memory escapes me...

Just out of interest... how did he score his goal in the Community Shield against Citeh? My memory escapes me...
A ball over the top. A run through the middle. A cock up in defense and tap in. Textbook great right wing play

I think that's a key aspect of his game and its importance is often underrated. For me, I still think he is lacking in decision making and intelligence, but he makes up for it with his relentless winner mentality. You just know that if he fails to convert a chance, fail a simple pass or a failed dribble, none of it will phase him and he'll continue to be this ridiculously direct and fearless winger, which is exactly what we need. He is everywhere and always in dangerous positions, and you get the feeling that he is going to score or assist nearly every game, which is more than can be said for any of our other wingers. Only 20 as well so he will get better, so excited to have him!
Couldn't agree more. He's got that pure arrogance mixed with workrate that makes a top player. He WANTS to be the main man.

A ball over the top. A run through the middle. A cock up in defense and tap in. Textbook great right wing play

I think it was a pass out wide to Garnacho on the right wing. He runs at the City defence cutting inside and then finishes nicely into the bottom corner with his left foot from about 14 yards out.

Second league start of the season is coming vs Palace on Saturday IMO. He's simply forced ETH's hand with his performances this season so far, bar the Liverpool game, but it's not like the team was collectively not terrible in that match, and Garnacho was some weak link.

Rashford has done well in the last few games too, but I think ETH will bench him for the next game, and after that it will depend on Garnacho's and Amad's performances, but I don't think they will become the mainstay winger pairing just yet. I can envision a few more weeks or 1-2 months of Garnacho being 3rd choice winger, as I think ETH is trying to manage his minutes after he's played so much football in the last 12-18 months at such a young age.

With Amad being the opposite of Garnacho basically, desperately needing a lot of first team football at 22, and Rashford also having the whole summer off after missing the Euros, there is a good opportunity now to manage Garnacho's minutes IMO.

It's also important to consider how effective and productive Garnacho has been coming off the bench vs tired legs in his United career so far.
Rashford doesn’t ever get benched and certainly won’t be benched after scoring in his last 2 games.

Like his output and visible growth. Always exciting to see a young talent grow in the team and he also saved our behind on the Sancho and Antony failures. Imagine if we needed to replace them by spending real money instead of just promoting Garnacho and Amad!

This is precisely the comp that I am most reminded off. Like Mane, his technique looks kind of scruffy on the eye test, especially when contrasted against a player like Amad on the other flank. This usually causes me to think there's a sort of "ceiling" that would prevent such players from becoming "world class" - however you want to define it... but both Mane and Garnacho seem to have this directness + productivity about them that makes it difficult to ignore. Mane was also a very powerful runner, and Garnacho seems a little too slight currently - but I am excited to see how he continues to develop.

I also think he’ll end up being able to play through the centre well, too. He’s not ready for it yet, but once he’s developed a bit more strength and refined his game, he’ll be someone who you can put anywhere up front, and he’ll make it work. It’s why I don't really agree with “the play him on right/play him on the left” — he’s got the potential to be effective anywhere, IMO.

Like you say, I think that’s probably more down to his mentality in games. I’m pretty sure he’d have broken through under Fergie because of how he keeps going, even if he does make mistakes.