Toby Collyer England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Why didnt this guy get a loan yet last season?

I feel like when a player reaches 19 and isn't near first team minutes yet they should be loaned out and learn to play 'adult football'..

Ah yes, me who has seen the guy play over 10 times is lacking evidence because he had 1 game where he had shown improvement

Why the hell are you pretending as if you're the only one who's seen him play before?

Why didnt this guy get a loan yet last season?

I feel like when a player reaches 19 and isn't near first team minutes yet they should be loaned out and learn to play 'adult football'..
Injuries, if I remember correctly. Also not good/ready enough for first team football.

Last edited:
comparisons to Garner are not accurate. Garner was ans is a #8, who could defend. Collyear ia a #6. If Garner had stayed he woyld be competing with Mainoo and Gore, and he is not as good as any of these. Not that I think Collyear is ready yet. We need and experiencd #6 (not Cassemiro) to be the mainstay with Collyear as his back up, and playing in the Cup games

comparisons to Garner are not accurate. Garner was ans is a #8, who could defend. Collyear ia a #6. If Garner had stayed he woyld be competing with Mainoo and Gore, and he is not as good as any of these. Not that I think Collyear is ready yet. We need and experiencd #6 (not Cassemiro) to be the mainstay with Collyear as his back up, and playing in the Cup games
Garner came up as the most defensive of our midfielders, but with passing ability too. Not sure what makes Collyer a #6 or what he has shown to make him a #6, but not Garner. Basically what makes one different from the other in terms of position?

Was an 8 perhaps, but he was more of a ball winner than Onana for Everton and mainly showed that ability rather than ball playing last season. So now he's learning to be a 6, although he also has games next to Gueye who wins the ball more. Think Garner might show his passing range more this season whilst continuing to be a ball winner

Fair enough, mate. McTominay is a physical midfielder, but I still maintain he's not the best at actually using his physical prowess. Matic and Fellaini were tough as nails. Where defenders went into an aerial duel, Fellaini chested the ball. Matic was sublime at standing tackles. Neither were fast, but Fellaini worked his socks off. McTominay may have good stats when it comes to running, but the eye test says he often jogs about (still covering the distance), and doesn't anticipate the dangers until it's too late.

I always found Fred the better midfielder than McTominay, but both were used incorrectly. Fred was an 8, even an attacking 8, and pretty much every time he was played in that position he did quite well. As a DM, he lacked strength, which caused him to lose so many physical duels. McTominay, however, doesn't get into those duels because he isn't fast enough to recover, and he lacks awareness and anticipation in that role. Closer to the opposition box, he appears to have much better instincts. Obviously, he's also an asset when defending set-pieces.

I agree with pretty much everything you said

Its fair to say both play in similar areas of the pitch. For what its worth at their respective ages I think Garner was a lot more talented.

Garner came up as the most defensive of our midfielders, but with passing ability too. Not sure what makes Collyer a #6 or what he has shown to make him a #6, but not Garner. Basically what makes one different from the other in terms of position?
I’m not gonna play the expert here, just say my impression so far is that while Garner could sometimes play in a 6 role and Collyer can play in a 8 position, the impression for me was that Garner was most of all a distributor with handy defensive guts and discipline making him more balanced than our other creative midfielders. Collyer strikes me as more of a supertalent for DM tasks - mobility, breaking up play,, intensity of pressing, positional discipline on an exceptional level for his age. His distribution seems normal/needs work.

I’m not gonna play the expert here, just say my impression so far is that while Garner could sometimes play in a 6 role and Collyer can play in a 8 position, the impression for me was that Garner was most of all a distributor with handy defensive guts and discipline making him more balanced than our other creative midfielders. Collyer strikes me as more of a supertalent for DM tasks - mobility, breaking up play,, intensity of pressing, positional discipline on an exceptional level for his age. His distribution seems normal/needs work.

Big call!

He looked physically at the level in the match against Arsenal, big kid who can get around the pitch, fill spaces, and quick to second balls. But on the ball he didn't seem like a United level player at all. He might have received 2-3 passes from teammates total in that first half, it was like he was moving away from the ball constantly and even when open his teammates didn't seem to trust him enough to pass it to him in the middle of the pitch. One time Onana did play short to him with his back to goal and he booted it straight out of bounds and then nobody passed to him again. He played mainly on the left but when United had throw ins on the left they actually moved him away into the big space on the right rather than having him as one of the 4-5 players milling around to potentially receive the throw and play in tight spaces.

I only saw one match but what I saw was a player that doesn't have the technical level to play midfield for a top side, other than maybe as a destroyer type used in very specific circumstances.

The kid seems to offer an out ball to any of our players getting pressed. Really really impressed by his footballing brain and positioning skills. I wouldn't be surprised if he cements himself as our first choice this season.

Is he this pre-season’s Dan Gore? What has happened to Gore anyway? Is he injured?
He’s much more. Dan is super talented but I feel Collyer is physically ready. Couple that with his ability to stay disciplined tactically and he is ready for the same kind of step up McTominay once had. Albeit, he’s going to be an upgrade defensively speaking.

Solid performance from him.. took up good positions and critical tackles. Surprised to see how well he has done this pre-season

Good cameo. You end up seeing his speed every time he's on the pitch which is rare for a CM, and with more time on the ball he played some clever passes over the top.

He wasn't all the involved with his limited time, but I was again impressed by his athleticism. He moves extremely well and quickly for a big lad. I think he will need to trust himself to take a few more risks with his passing and looking forward more if he is going to get minutes with the first team, but he has surprised me.

I wish he could give some of his quickness to Kobbie.....

Good cameo. You end up seeing his speed every time he's on the pitch which is rare for a CM, and with more time on the ball he played some clever passes over the top.
He only did it once but I liked when he burst forward and got to the byline for a dangerous situation. Would be very cool if he could step up and save us some money on an area of the pitch that is calling out for someone to wrestle away from the ageing Casemiro.

Yes - obviously showing he’s first team ready
It's a rite of passage for promising youth players at United to get an injury right before a chance, either for the first team or out on loan.

Collyer isn’t like Garner or McTominay for me.The closet player stylistically for me is Carrick. A sitting midfielder who uses tactical intelligence and good positioning to break up play, and then good vision and calmness to help us keep the ball and attack.

Garner while good on the ball doesn’t have the physicality of Toby and Scott’s nature is to follow the ball rather than maintain team shape.

Similar to Mainoo when people doubted him before he had a chance or even knowing what type of player they are assessing, just give the lad a chance. He might make it or not but ultimately we can’t know without trying.

Collyer isn’t like Garner or McTominay for me.The closet player stylistically for me is Carrick. A sitting midfielder who uses tactical intelligence and good positioning to break up play, and then good vision and calmness to help us keep the ball and attack.

Garner while good on the ball doesn’t have the physicality of Toby and Scott’s nature is to follow the ball rather than maintain team shape.

Similar to Mainoo when people doubted him before he had a chance or even knowing what type of player they are assessing, just give the lad a chance. He might make it or not but ultimately we can’t know without trying.

Id say if any of those players you mentioned was close to Carrick stylistically it was probably Garner. I'm still not sold on Collyer's technical ability, albeit its still early in his introduction into the team. I'd still have Garner over him at their respected ages from a talent perspective. But hopefully Collyer can prove me wrong.

Id say if any of those players you mentioned was close to Carrick stylistically it was probably Garner. I'm still not sold on Collyer's technical ability, albeit its still early in his introduction into the team. I'd still have Garner over him at their respected ages from a talent perspective. But hopefully Collyer can prove me wrong.
Agreed, he's nothing like Carrick. Garner was and is the bigger talent than Collyer, but obviously the coaches are seeing something in him they like.

To me Garner is similar in that he has a varied passing range of either foot but didn’t press like Carrick for me and lacked his ability to intercept and read the game. It’s what allowed him to play next to Scholes.

Garner was a good prospect but sometimes didn’t impact the game enough for me in relation to his skill set. Collyer is the opposite. Maximises his composure and awareness. Hopefully he does the business.

Agreed, he's nothing like Carrick. Garner was and is the bigger talent than Collyer, but obviously the coaches are seeing something in him they like.
Bigger talent in what respect? And you really don’t see the good positioning and interception as similar facets of Carricks play in Toby? As a minimum?

Why the hell are you pretending as if you're the only one who's seen him play before?

Because he got called out for talking shite about the lads performance in the game before, so then felt his ego was hurt by a good performance and now feels compelled to double down on his bollocks.

He's a spoofer, the McTominay comparison alone proves that. The best thing about Collyer at this stage is the way he looks for pockets of space to receive the ball in from the back - probably McTominay's single biggest weakness.

Bigger talent in what respect? And you really don’t see the good positioning and interception as similar facets of Carricks play in Toby? As a minimum?
Maybe he means bigger talent because of Garner's technical ability I suppose but that's it, Toby is a better all round midfield talent, he has all the tools you'd want. Where he is lacking can be improved upon. Oyedele is another one that has caught my eye. Those two will be around the squad the next couple of seasons for sure. Would make a solid pairing too.

In my opinion, Garner is a better passer, was also good enough defensively to often play at CB and had great leadership qualities having captained our teams at multiple levels, not to mention when played further forward he had a great eye for goal. In his stint in the U21s/U23s he was also far and away our best player which is something I don't believe Collyer has yet replicated.

Honestly, no, I just don't see the similarities between Carrick and Collyer. Collyer certainly looks a decent player but not a Carrick type for me.
Maybe he means bigger talent because of Garner's technical ability I suppose but that's it, Toby is a better all round midfield talent, he has all the tools you'd want. Where he is lacking can be improved upon. Oyedele is another one that has caught my eye. Those two will be around the squad the next couple of seasons for sure. Would make a solid pairing too.
Again, I disagree for the reasons listed above. Collyer almost certainly isn't the better all rounder considering Garner has excelled as an 8, 6 and at CB. I also remember Garner being a pretty handy set piece taker too.

I thought that too but Toby has a good first touch too and also passes of both feet and can carry the ball better than Garner for me. So I thought I’d ask.
But I agree with your overall assessment of both Collyer and Oyedele. They’ve didn’t really get to establish a partnership in the under 21s due to injury and loans but like both mentality. Both work hard and under the radar team players.

In my opinion, Garner is a better passer, was also good enough defensively to often play at CB and had great leadership qualities having captained our teams at multiple levels, not to mention when played further forward he had a great eye for goal. In his stint in the U21s/U23s he was also far and away our best player which is something I don't believe Collyer has yet replicated.

Honestly, no, I just don't see the similarities between Carrick and Collyer. Collyer certainly looks a decent player but not a Carrick type for me.

Again, I disagree for the reasons listed above. Collyer almost certainly isn't the better all rounder considering Garner has excelled as an 8, 6 and at CB. I also remember Garner being a pretty handy set piece taker too.
Collyer has for me more in common with Kante and a young Casemiro than a Carrick, Garner had more in common with Carrick for me. For me, I don’t see Garner as at the requisite level for a Carrick role, nor a Casemiro role, nor a more attacking role, at least not without several years more of development. That’s my take on him anyway.

Collyer seems to me more extreme in his best attributes, so possibly a higher ceiling in a shorter space of time, of the team’s needs fits his profile. Possibly.

I really liked Garner, but sort of understood why we let him go at this point in time. I like Collyer too, and although anything can happen, I can see a parh for him to be useful here in the quite near future if he develops well.

Garner is a very good passer and had the positional awareness to play centre back which is where I first saw him play actually in an youth tournament. I agree that he did look great in youth football and was a leader but I’d say Collyer was on a similar level at Brighton and rated highly before he got injured here. He just hasn’t had a chance to show it here. Plus the level of their under 21 teams was radically different.

I think Collyer does have the physical traits that hindered Garner in some respects, like dynamism and maybe more physicality but it’s close. It’s those reasons I likened him to Carrick also as I think those were underrated traits in Michaels game too. But hey we shall see.

Can never tell with this preseason stuff. Just way too poor as an evidence base for saying someone will make it or not, we've seen it time and time again with preseason wonders that are playing out of their skin among seasoned players that are just easing around the pitch.

I'll believe it with these young lads when I see them in the first team in competitive matchups.

Better passer, better first touch, also Garner had goals in him for U21's.

Not seen much of this kid at all but his speed with the ball at feet from deep positions really catches the eye, not typical for a DM. Also looks to be a guy who could potentially go between DM and CB.

You have to give Ten Hag credit for giving youth a chance, can potentially save a lot of money.

Garner offered slightly more on the ball due to his passing but Collyer offers more off the ball in a way that Garner never could. I believe that Collyer can get beyond Garners level on the ball though as he's more two footed whilst having great technique and a quicker mind. Passing range is something that can be trained. In short Collyers ceiling is higher whilst he offers something we desperately need right now in this off the ball prowess.

Not seen much of this kid at all but his speed with the ball at feet from deep positions really catches the eye, not typical for a DM. Also looks to be a guy who could potentially go between DM and CB.

You have to give Ten Hag credit for giving youth a chance, can potentially save a lot of money.
Agree with all of that. He doesn’t over complicate things and is tactically aware. With the Cdm dropping back between the centre backs more too far in pre season then I can see it being an advantage. I’m sure he played centre back before but as a one of rather than regularly.