Toby Collyer England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Not seen much of this kid at all but his speed with the ball at feet from deep positions really catches the eye, not typical for a DM. Also looks to be a guy who could potentially go between DM and CB.

You have to give Ten Hag credit for giving youth a chance, can potentially save a lot of money.
This is a redeeming quality of his and he just doesn't do it for kicks and vibes he is deliberate and genuinely believes in those he picks for promotion. He is the kind of guy, if he gets his tactical issues right, that could stay for years and leave the club in a much stronger position than when he got here.

In Garnacho and Mainoo he has potentially saved us at least £80m and, at the same time, enhanced our reputation re - first team pathway that we are now poaching young generational talents from rivals. I'd imagine that, in five years, Ten Hag will have about 5-8 youth players in and around the squad that he'd have ushered in himself.

If he can actually be good enough for the squad as a deep midfielder in the Prem, then that's great. Saves a good chunk of money, and more youth guys in. Makes signing someone like Amrabat pretty pointless

If he can actually be good enough for the squad as a deep midfielder in the Prem, then that's great. Saves a good chunk of money, and more youth guys in. Makes signing someone like Amrabat pretty pointless
We will still need either Amrabat or Casemiro as a back up unless we buy Ugarte

We will still need either Amrabat or Casemiro as a back up unless we buy Ugarte
Mainoo, a new starter like Ugarte, Collyer and Casemiro as the 4 is a good group IMO (with Mount and Bruno as the 10's who can fill deeper in a pinch). Or if Casemiro goes, then I'd keep Mctominay just to be the physical workhorse. It's a work in progress, but we definitely need a starter in.

Very poor on the ball, and is yet to show the capacity to play with the ball in mens football. He certainly has the off ball attributes/potential - however, he hasn’t really shown that he can deal with the speed/pressure yet of senior football.

I appreciate with our young players the only acceptable observations are typically ‘brilliant’ or ‘still young’, but I hope to see the very important footballing qualities for the role he plays soon. While he is young, so is/was Mainoo, Wharton, Archie Gray and others. It isn’t mandatory to be poor on the ball because you are young.

Would be just my luck personally after begging for years to see the back of Scott to see him finally shipped out only to have the clock reset and be again haunted by the Ghost of Scott McTominay. I think a loan this season would be good for Collyer where he can play regularly and get used to the speed of the game and develop his confidence on the ball. Then we can see if he can make that last step.

Need to see more of him with the ball. Off the ball really good ( although should have done better for 2nd goal

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Oyedele looks the better midfield prospect simply because he's a far better passer and is far more composed on the ball. If you are a young midfielder and passing and comfort on the ball is not second nature to you then you are already not good enough. Send out on loan and lets sign actual mdifielders please.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Oyedele looks the better midfield prospect simply because he's a far better passer and is far more composed on the ball. If you are a young midfielder and passing and comfort on the ball is not second nature to you then you are already not good enough. Send out on loan and lets sign actual mdifielders please.
On that understanding Casemiro is not good enough as he gives the ball away and is too slow to cover any potential danger so let us get Oyedele playing his minutes instead.

I think a loan this season would be good for Collyer where he can play regularly and get used to the speed of the game and develop his confidence on the ball. Then we can see if he can make that last step.

I don't know if he's good enough on the ball, but at the moment he's our only midfielder who can both run and tackle, so I doubt he goes on loan. We're so easy to play against in that area of the pitch.

Assuming the only midfield signing is Ugarte, since it sounds like we're still in for him and no other serious links and i'll go insane if we don't sign at least one deep midfielder, I'd guess the depth chart eventually shakes out like this:

#10 - Bruno, Mount, McTominay (if here)
#8 - Mainoo, Casemiro, Eriksen
#6 - Ugarte, Collyer

It looks like a double pivot so you can label the #8 as "can pass (Casemiro) or dribble (Mainoo) forward" and the #6 as "can at least run and tackle."

I don't know if he's good enough on the ball, but at the moment he's our only midfielder who can both run and tackle, so I doubt he goes on loan. We're so easy to play against in that area of the pitch.

Assuming the only midfield signing is Ugarte, since it sounds like we're still in for him and no other serious links and i'll go insane if we don't sign at least one deep midfielder, I'd guess the depth chart eventually shakes out like this:

#10 - Bruno, Mount, McTominay (if here)
#8 - Mainoo, Casemiro, Eriksen
#6 - Ugarte, Collyer

It looks like a double pivot so you can label the #8 as "can pass (Casemiro) or dribble (Mainoo) forward" and the #6 as "can at least run and tackle."

That’s a very poor midfield group.

Needs to improve a lot with his first touch and taking the time he has rather than looking in a rush and performing his task with a lack of care.

Was one of the previous games (Arsenal or Betis) where he tried a first time pass back to the keeper with his left foot and chipped it towards Onana giving him a much more difficult ball to deal with, which he did.

Against Liverpool he rushed his pass with a bit more time than he used when Amass was playing his way out of trouble, then let Salah get past him too easily for the 2nd goal. Had a few heavy touches that he couldnt collect and gave the ball away. When he has loads of space to work with his speed lets him get away with the loose first touch and he can bring the ball forward quickly. But when theres a tigher marker closer to him he isnt collecting the ball and protecting it well enough.

On the positive side he bombed forward using his legs and mobility to help the attack. His youthful exuberance in that way reminds me of Brandon Williams or a comparison with another midfielder Fred's energy

A championship loan would hopefully make him look less raw and iron out some of his weaknesses while he gets more first team experience. His good attitude and willingness to run for the team would make a loan far more likely to go well as he will tick all the boxes for effort and working hard. Especially a team fighting for points rather than dominating the ball all game - although a team dominating the ball might be where he makes more improvement on the ball.

Let him go on loan and hopefully generate enough value to be attractive enough in a player plus cash offer for Adam Wharton next summer.

Let him go on loan and hopefully generate enough value to be attractive enough in a player plus cash offer for Adam Wharton next summer.
Palace apparently value Wharton at north of £100m so Collyer would have to have a hell of a season to make a dent in that.

If Collyer had the type of season to get Palace interested in that then why wouldn't you just keep Collyer?

Palace apparently value Wharton at north of £100m so Collyer would have to have a hell of a season to make a dent in that.

Well other PL teams seem to be selling these players for 20-30m so that would be something.

Whilst he has shown some limitations thus far, we won't be playing the likes of Liverpool and Arsenal every week so against teams where we can actually have bit a stranglehold of the game/possession (big if I know), he may be a useful squad option. We will have a long season and you just know injuries will feck us up, so I'm happy to keep him because we'll need some of his physical abilities. If he doesn't progress or show much promise then we should arrange a good loan where he can fledge our his potential at a club where he will play every game.

I quite liked him when he came on. Seems a bit of a basic player but tried to get involved and got stuck in a few times.

Have fears that McTominay may be leaving us wish a son if he goes this summer. Looks very poor at passing and generally on the ball at this level. I hope whatever Ten Hag is so taken by becomes clear soon.

I feel like I must be Collyer hater no.1 (I don't want to be, I love it when our youth prospects come through) but the first responsibility of a midfielder is to be able to look up and see a pass through the lines if it's on, to secure your position on the pitch by moving the ball forward - and his default pass is backwards.

If he can develop his forward passing, he has all the physical attributes to be a good 6, and seems more tactically aware than your average 20 year old. But progressive passing at this level is not something you find overnight, it seems much more innate than that - you have it (at least to an extent) or you don't. I fear he doesn't.

Not technically great but he has interesting physical tools, moves really well, might get mins towards the end of games to close them out.

I feel like Collyer is playing within himself. I get that he's been thrown in at the deep in but his choices and execution have been far worse than in the reserves.

If you compare to Mainoo, not only did Kobbie play his natural game he did things he never really did at a lower level in terms of defensive midfield play.

Not everyone can be Mainoo but Collyer has had a chance to convince the club it doesn't need to buy. He's failed.

I hope whatever Ten Hag is so taken by becomes clear soon.
Mobile and excels off the ball. That’s what ten Hag values in his midfielders. Passing is second nature.

I’d be interested to know whether his involvement with the first team has anything to do with Ashworth pushing him for ETH. I believe Ashworth was still at Brighton when he was in the Brighton academy.

He's not ready yet, useful to have around the squad when injuries are so rampant but fringe squad player at best, as he matures his functionality will change.

Classic path to the first team as a youth player, it really does take special players to come through immediately into the first team. Playing in a position that requires experience to excel only signifies how difficult it is compared to an attacker and even defender at times.

Send him out on loan to a Championship team. He is not even close to ready.

They are different players though and both are basically straight swaps for Casemiro / Mainoo. Oyedele looks good but he's more a ball carrying #8 than a DM that sits and protects the defence.

This obsession that all midfielders need to be progressive passers is going a little too far. Winning the ball was our biggest issue in midfield last season. I think his ability to cover ground and the channels suits how this team is trying to setup.

Also is he right or left footed because he was passing off his left a lot.

Some harsh criticism of him here, he came on and kept the ball well, won it back and kept it simple which is his role. He recycled the ball well and importantly very fast, one touch passes.

Some harsh criticism of him here, he came on and kept the ball well, won it back and kept it simple which is his role. He recycled the ball well and importantly very fast, one touch passes.
The entire game plan here was to win it and get it into Bruno to launch our transitions, I’m confused as to what people were expecting Collyer to do. He didn’t look out of place to me at all.

The entire game plan here was to win it and get it into Bruno to launch our transitions, I’m confused as to what people were expecting Collyer to do. He didn’t look out of place to me at all.
Agreed, I’m afraid it seems some have made their mind up before giving him a chance.

People have unrealistic expectations on midfielders but the fact is that people who have satisfied them are so few that you can count them on one hand throughout the modern game. Very few players can be excellent playmakers and ball winners in one.

He can contribute to a team's success by just being a very mobile ball winner who keeps it simple just as others have conjured up fantastic careers being passing machines.

He's excellent at providing an option in tight spaces. He finds space and gives a player under pressure a way out every time. At the moment, as he plays his first minutes at this level - he's picking the safer options with his passes which is totally understandable. I'd way prefer to see him doing that as he finds his feet, rather than rushing speculative passes and losing possession.

With Martinez, De Ligt and Yoro, we have decent progressive passers behind him as well, so a good ball winner and press beater at DM, who will give it back for them to play forwards might end up being no bad thing.

Clearly nervous today, but some bright spots. Will be good to have in the squad for this season.