Toby Collyer England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
One thing to take on board is that at his age, he needs to be playing all the time, so unless he’s set to be a genuine part of the rotation, he should be sent on loan to hone his craft.

The all action style will be more standout at the start of preseason against opponents who are neither competitive fit nor giving their all (unless trying to break into their respective teams), so the time to see if Collyer really is looking the part is late in preseason when fitness levels are considerably higher and aggression levels are more intrinsic than now.

He can make an impression by looking the part throughout preseason against a plethora of team, but more importantly, as the speed and quality of the overall games improves. Is he still able to read play? Can he confidently anticipate and make split second decisions that work out in his favour? Will his passing and spatial awareness stand up to scrutiny when grown men are swarming? Etc. etc.

I hope he’s ready, but he plays a position we’ll take no chances with.

Currently would be 5th choice midfielder in the “pivot” (I am not including Fernandes or Mount). Probably get some game time, unsure if it’d be enough for a full season. Perhaps we keep him around until January and evaluate a sensible loan?

Currently would be 5th choice midfielder in the “pivot” (I am not including Fernandes or Mount). Probably get some game time, unsure if it’d be enough for a full season. Perhaps we keep him around until January and evaluate a sensible loan?

Sounds right to me too.

Casemiro, Scott, Eriksen can still leave though. Amarbat already gone, he’ll definitely get opportunities this year if he stays.

Casemiro, Scott, Eriksen can still leave though. Amarbat already gone, he’ll definitely get opportunities this year if he stays.
Can still leave — will they in practice, though? I think probably one goes and we sign Ugarte/replacement.

A down side of having a bunch of deadwood is always the paths they block for others.

Getting a few quid for Eriksen or McTom and trusting someone like Collyer would be far better in the long term for the club.

Solid display, didn't look out of place at all. Could save the club a few quid if he continues his development.

Imo a better half, but guilty like the rest of the team with poor passing. Won the ball more than giving away freekicks unlike the previous game and a nice run forward.

I like a lot about him. I'm not totally sure he will make it here but you can tell he will have a good career at a high level just from looking at him.

I am intrigued to see more of him. There is obvious potential there. Passing is only one concern i have, but pitch is horrible so wont make any judgment at this moment

Hiding from the ball, send him on loan.

He's a ghost when we have the ball and when he does get it is not particularly great. Off the ball, he is very aggressive in the tackle which will get him carded all the time. I actually looked forward to seeing him on tour because of everything I had been hearing about Ten Hag rating him and stuff so I have actually watched him closely in all 3 games. He is not a United first team level player just yet. Send him out on loan to a team where he plays first XI minutes and lets see how he develops.

But he hasn't even been in my top 2 youngsters that I have been impressed with so far this preseason because he offers nothing on the ball.

Can already see the path that his career will take. His style of play will be divisive and some just won’t see things in his performances that others do.

For me I thought he was very good positionally, provides an option even if not always used and keeps the ball moving. Better than his midfield partner for sure. The only thing he has in common with Mc T is height and maybe body shape. Two different football players for me. Our best moves of the first half both involved him in some form.

Potentially only need one midfield signing with this lad coming through.

I like the look of him - we have been desperate for players of his profile for a while.

Not every squad player needs to be able to pass like Xavi - should be able to contribute positively this season.

I think he's a better ball winner and more mobile than McTominay. Much more suited to being a 6 than he was.

What's the obsession with comparing players to put them down. ''this player is a bit like Maguire'' ''this player is another McTominay''. He's Toby Collyer and nothing like McTom. He's an actual CM who wins the ball and lays it off, something this squad needs. He will get better as he gets more minutes and experience but he has the motor and the awareness already, he just needs fine tuning and that will come with game time.

Reactions: roonster09
What's the obsession with comparing players to put them down. ''this player is a bit like Maguire'' ''this player is another McTominay''. He's Toby Collyer and nothing like McTom. He's an actual CM who wins the ball and lays it off, something this squad needs. He will get better as he gets more minutes and experience but he has the motor and the awareness already, he just needs fine tuning and that will come with game time.
This is no longer a forum for the sane or rationality unfortunately mate

I like his intensity and aggression at applying pressure / winning the ball, and most importantly without committing too many silly fouls.